| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It sounds like Ezra has a really great mom. Here's hoping the next phase of life together will be great!

Ditto to what C&S said about doing things for yourself too. Put your own oxygen mask on first, right? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

Refinnej, we have a sidecarred crib and I transfer Sven back and forth (he's usually asleep when I do it but it getting better and falling asleep on his own). I put him on a quilted pad and either pick the whole thing up gently or just slide it across the bed. At 20 pounds it's getting harder, though! Not sure how long that will be sustainable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

((hugs)) Flava and good luck. Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to wean him? I think you should go on vacation by yourself for a week :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher wrote:
((hugs)) Flava and good luck. Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to wean him? I think you should go on vacation by yourself for a week :)

So he's usually asleep when I get home from work, and when he wakes up he wants to cuddle and nurse FOREVER. We cut that one out, which wasn't too bad since it was dinnertime and he could be distracted easily with food and soy milk in a cup. We nursed for just a little bit right before bed (he was tired enough that he could've gone to sleep without it, but I didn't want to do this completely cold turkey). This morning was a little rough - he's used to nursing before we get up, so we did a lot of cuddling which helped a bit, but he wasn't happy. Once we were up and getting ready for the day though, he was fine! Distracting him with other things (food, activities) seems to work.It's making me a little sad though. I mean, I'm happier that these two days have been easier than I imagined, but it's tough to watch your little one grow up and be less dependent on you.

I'm wearing my biggest bra today to hopefully hold in my bustiness... but I've got a dinner meeting that'll go late into the night. Today will be interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

flava, I've always thought your breastfeeding relationship with Ezra sounded amazing and was so impressed that you succeeded even after the traumatic birth/NICU thing. I can see why you'd be sad as you wean but remember you'll just have new facets to your relationship with him! It kills me how fast they grow eeeee. Anyway, I hope your night goes well and all is contained haha!

Nursing Sierra has been going surprisingly well. I think seriously my biggest complaint is how freakin' time-consuming it is. I realize Sierra is in a crazy growth period - and I am in total disbelief and happily astonished that I seem to have enough milk - but oy, 2 hour sessions of nursing heavily for 25 minutes, stopping only to start again in 15 minutes! We've gotten into a pretty bad cycle where during the day she'll sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon (actually she's sleeping right now) and then its nurse nurse nurse for the rest of the night til around 12, when she'll sleep again for 4-5 hours. I should really try to get her to sleep less in the day but its also such a reprieve, especially when it happens during Dahlia's nap - actual quiet adult time wooo.

The thing that really has me worried is going back to work, because also in the morning its like 2 hours of nursing on and off again and I can't imagine having to get us both ready to go to the office like this. Plus I'm still real clumsy with positioning and stuff, I pretty much am always using both arms/hands and have no idea how to be able to nurse her and work at the same time, even though it really just means using the computer and occasionally getting up to get stuff. Come on ppkers, tell me how some of you nurse and PPK at the same time, I'm sure someone's doing it! I've ordered a Brest Friend pillow because I'm hoping it will free up a hand, and also need to really find a carrier I can nurse in, because right now I've tried to use the Moby as well as a plain sling and it didn't work out. There have been hilarious instances of me being alone home alone with both kids, and I'm nursing Sierra when Dahlia needs help with the toilet - I really need to be a bit more mobile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Audrey, so glad nursing is working for you this time around!

The Brest Friend pillow will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. I was able to go to the bathroom, make food, play on the computer, etc. all while nursing or while Malka was napping on the pillow (it all went to pot when my milk production totally maxed out and I started having to mix nursing and formula feeding during every feeding rather than just occasionally, but for the first 3 weeks especially it was awesome). You can definitely nurse in the Moby, but it definitely takes practice - it will probably be easier as Sierra grows and gets more masterful about her latch.

I don't have a ton of advice about going back to work. For me, it was just hard (although, it was also great - no baby to maneuver - hours alone!).

If you can, be patient with the sleep thing. Long stretches during the day and at night are pretty normal for newborns. They don't really have "night" yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

I agree about the MBFP. The name is stupid, but it's totally my bff for nursing with the iPad. I never have been able to really nurse in a carrier. I think my breasts are too big. I see small breasted women doing it in ring slings, but by the time I lower her head enough to latch I have to carry her anyway so, no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Flava-- sounds like you're making the best choice for everyone involved! Best of luck!

Audrey-- It was probably 4 or 5 weeks before I had a free hand while nursing. I positioned Will in the crook of my arm and propped my Kindle Fire on the Boppy... and that's how I PPKed!

Does anyone drink flax milk? I just found it at the store last week and I LOVE it. I don't know if it's a coincidence or what, but I've been pumping an extra ounce or two most days this week. I think it's the same price as almond milk, so it might be worth a try for others!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 pm 

So, talk to me about pumps and pumping.....

We are returning the rented, hospital grade (Medela Harmony) pump next week since I"m pumping only like once a day, some days not at all. I'd like to get a decent electric pump maybe though, since I have just a hand one now. We've been shelling out a good bit for the Harmony, so I don't feel bad spending a bit on something good quality (though I'll check eBay too, heh).

Also, I've never pumped just for fun before :p. Do y'all try and pump every day or only when you feel engorged, or what? There's milk in my freezer! Whoa!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 am 
So Totally Yiffy

i got a used hospital grade (multi user) medela from ebay for around $250. i had to pump exclusively for my twins for the first 9 weeks and was cranking out 70 ounces a day with that bad boy. it's a lactina and has been great. as far as pumping goes, it's nice to have a bit of a stash in the freezer but if you are a stay at home mom it really isn't a top prioity. if you are going back to work, starting a nice stash is good to do sooner rather than later-pumping once a day in the morning when your supply is at it's peak is usually enough to build up a pretty good stash.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 am 
Married to the wolfman

I pump after feedings 2 or 3 times a day, and again if it's engorged. Since I found someone I'm donating regularly to, I have a minimum daily goal in mind (at least 5 oz, as that's about what she needs per day) and if I get over that and don't feel like I want/need to pump a second time, I don't.

I've never used anything but a plain ol hand pump, but I know a ton of people who have had and loved thr Medela Pump-in-Style.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:16 am 
Saggy Butt

I pump once a day for donation or the occasional bottle, first thing in the morning. I feed on one side around midnight, then feed on the other side exclusively through the night, then pump the first side around 6 or 7 for about 10 oz. I think pumping after feedings are better because you get more fatty milk, but my pump is pretty weak comparatively and I find that frustrating. I use a Medela Mini Electric but before that I was using a manual pump. If I wasn't a milk machine it would not be fun, but since pumping is pretty easy for me I don't mind.

Most people I know have a Pump in Style or rent a hospital grade pump.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 pm 

Thanks. I will check and see if Pump in Style is available around here. Mandy, I may try something like that too. Freya likes the right side better and since we lay with me on her left side, nursing on the right is way easier. Does your supply stay okay in the non-loved boob? :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

I haven't noticed a difference with supply, although I chose which boob to pump because that one made more milk. So maybe if it has had an effect it just evens things out?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have an Avent double electric pump. I like it. It is comfortable with my pumpin pals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 pm 

Butternut wrote:
I agree about the MBFP. The name is stupid, but it's totally my bff for nursing with the iPad. I never have been able to really nurse in a carrier. I think my breasts are too big. I see small breasted women doing it in ring slings, but by the time I lower her head enough to latch I have to carry her anyway so, no.

Okay, so I finally had some success nursing in a carrier today! In our mei tai. It was out of necessity. She was tired and fussy and I needed to walk instead of sit forever.

Oh and I have the pump in style and it work great.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:09 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I also have a Pump In Style and I love it. I agree that pumping in the morning is a good time. Especially the nights that Will sleeps through, I can get 15+ oz first thing. I was away for a night the other week, and I pumped a surprising amount over night too. The LC at my moms group says to try to pump the same time each day (if you're planning to do it with some consistency), within about 30 min. Let me tell you, my boobs know when 630 and 1130 come around... weekday or weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I feed the Magician with the same boob most of the night... doesn't seem to cause anything weird to happen, though the first couple of times I did it, the other side would be mildly engorged when I woke up. (It's been months since then, hasn't happened again.)

Also, I am a huge boobed lady and it took me a while to figure out how to nurse E in any carrier. Then it clicked and I nursed him in anything anywhere and it was great. What boggles and frustrates me is that I can't do it yet with M most of the time... and my boobs are actually smaller than they were at this point with E. In fact, I kind of hate nursing M in public because I always have to find some place to sit down, get him totally out of the carrier, blah blah blah. It sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kdub wrote:
I also have a Pump In Style and I love it. I agree that pumping in the morning is a good time. Especially the nights that Will sleeps through, I can get 15+ oz first thing. I was away for a night the other week, and I pumped a surprising amount over night too. The LC at my moms group says to try to pump the same time each day (if you're planning to do it with some consistency), within about 30 min. Let me tell you, my boobs know when 630 and 1130 come around... weekday or weekend!

15 oz! I am so jealous.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm 

No doubt. I'm hoping for maybe 3 or 4. That will add up though if i can do it every day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I know everyone in the world says pump in the morning... But I never get much hen. 2-3 pm seems to be my sweet spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We've gotten through a week of just nighttime feedings. Ezra's handling it so much better than I had expected - he asks for milk maybe once a day (usually right around naptime), fusses for just a second when he realizes that he isn't going to get it, and then goes off to find something else to do or cuddles with me (oh my goodness, cuddling without having to nurse him is AWESOME!)

He didn't go down for a nap yesterday (a new Sunday habit that I'm really not dealing with well), so he went to bed early last night without nursing for the whole day! I never would have imagined this would work out this easily. I'm able to enjoy him a lot more now, and it's so nice to get through a whole weekend without getting frustrated at him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:12 pm 

Good on you flava! Cuddling is the best, eh? :)

ETA: Has anyone had any luck with re-directing/stopping biting? Evil bean drew a bit of blood today. I took a little walk to the bathroom while she laid on the bed laughing (I am so not even kidding). She's been scraping her teeth on me often when pulling off too, but I think that I'm just trying to deal with. This biting down hard thing though...forking hell (which I think is what I said when it happened).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

E went through such a horrible biting spree at about 7 months old that I really considered weaning him then. None of the many, many pieces of advice people gave me worked for him... he just outgrew it after 2 or 3 very horrible months.

M's going through a bit of biting right now, though so far it has not been during nursing. (Knock on wood.) I have been using a bit of advice that Tofulish posted, keeping some chewy things (cold celery sticks, cold cucumber slices, and this morning, some rounds of kohlrabi that I cut the middle out of so he could hold onto it easily) around to give him instead of the boob when he's bitey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm 

kimba wrote:
kdub wrote:

15 oz! I am so jealous.

Seriously. I would die! Do you have to stop and put on new bottles? I'm happy to get three ounces. Four is a celebration.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 115  Next