| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I need some advice. Now that my 7 month old has started solids he has really lost interest in drinking the bottles that I pump for him at work. He'll nurse well when we're together if there aren't too many distractions (he is crawling and cruising and really wants to be moving around and doing stuff all the time) but while he can put away what seems like a lot of mashed up and pureed food he is leaving like half of his milk undrunk. His sister nursed gleefully until she was 2 and I'm not sure how I can get a little more enthusiasm out of the little guy.

Our nanny gives him the bottle first before the solids but he really fights it and waits for his food. My ideas so far are to just make his purees really milky so he's getting it anyway, and to try a sippy cup instead of the bottle. Any other thoughts? His weight is fine and I don't think our pediatrician would see this as a problem but I really want to get things back on track.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Have you tried letting him drink from a regular cup? It may take a bit of practice for him to hold the cup properly at first, but it's definitely worth a try (just put a little bit of milk in the cup at a time so you don't lose too much). Then have your nanny try serving the milk in a cup, as he might enjoy it like it's something new and fun, even though it's the same milk he'd been having before. Then when you are home together, you can nurse him to get the cuddly/comforting/bonding aspects of breastfeeding as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What is he eating? Can you mix in some breastmilk?

Carlos has started strumming thenon-nursing breast. It is very weird. I keep trying to hold his hand, but he wants to strum. Unless he is relaxed with eyes closed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What happens if he has solids first, then the bottle? The distraction when nursing thing is just something you have to handle with that "this too shall pass" mentality, I think. Freya's there now, but seems to come back often to the boob at least...you know...suck suck suck "Oh hey, look a bird is outside the window" suck suck suck "Wait, I wonder if the TV is on?" suck suck suck "Are my toes still attached to my feet?". Good thing I'm a stay at home mom!

re: strumming the breast. I've read several places that this is an natural thing babies do to stimulate milk production/let down, etc. I must admit to covering the nipple sometimes, as F will fiddle around in the night and then milk starts leaking from the non-nursed breast and it's a bit cold/wet for me. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really need some support right now. I am just at the end of my rope with breastfeeding. Grey is constantly pulling my shirt down, squeezing my nipples anytime I hold Hm and wants to nurse a thousand times a day. I feel like I am just a boob and there is no snuggling or anything unless it is to breastfeed. I spent an hour trying to get m to sleep and he wouldn't despite being so tired and he spent the whole time nursing and pulling on my nipples. I really, really want to keep breastfeeding, but I am so tired of jut being a boob. And I feel like he really wants to breastfeed and I know it is so important, but this is exhausting and it makes me annoyed and frustrated with him s lot of the time. Also, I am so tired of being the one to put him to bed every night. Lat night I went out for the first time in months, came home around 10:30 and he was crying and I had to breastfeed him to sleep. I just don't know what to do anymore. He will be a year old in about a month.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

LB, you have done an awesome job to nurse him so long through all the difficulties you've been through. So let me go ahead and say: if you decide to wean him now/soon, you have NOTHING to feel guilty about.

I can tell you for my own part, E went in and out of treating me like a walking boob for his first 2 years. And I went in and out of minding it. So I guess that if you don't feel super convinced to stop or push on right now, my advice is to wait 2 weeks and see how you feel because chances are it'll all be different again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am committed to doing it through August 10, that is when we return from our trip to michigan. Breastfeeding on planes has been a life saver, so if nothing else, I need to get through that. I also have to keep telling myself he is on antibiotics for an ear infection and hopefully once those stop this will pass too. It is hard to see the future some days. Between the sleep and walking boob I am just over it. I want a long vacation alone. No baby, no cats, no husband. Just me and some books and some place cool and rainy with a fireplace and tea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

And, thank you c&s. You are so right about everything, it is constantly changing. I really want to make it to 2 years. Days like the last few are just rough and I don't feel like there is any milk left!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:33 am 

LB, you are an amazing mom! I'm sorry you are having a rough go of it right now.

I have struggled with my milk supply and I know it is a sorce of stress/worry for me. Whenever something is not going quite right (nursing too often, too fussy, not sleeping, etc) my first thought is that it has something to do with my forking supply. I guess it's just me trying to find a reason for stuff babies do, which is kinda pointless. Babies are babies. Sometimes it doesn't make sense.

Anyway, thinking about how I can't make sense of some things and realizing that not everything is my fault makes me feel better when I'm having a bad day with breast feeding.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:27 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

After having some sleep, I am feeling a little better. C&S I just want to say, having someone tell me it is ok to stop breastfeeding really helped. Now I feel like I can go on, but just having someone who does breastfeed tell me it is ok somehow made me feel much better about continuing, does that make any sense?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

LB, a year of breastfeeding is nothing to scoff at. You have done an AMAZING job! Sometimes I think we really should get medals for all of this...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 am 
Married to the wolfman

It does make sense and I think it is something we all need to hear sometimes! The worst parenting moments for me are always when I feel trapped in some situation and it's good to be able to recognize that you CAN get out of something if you really hate it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I need to night wean Lorelei over the next 3 months. Can anyone tell me about their success stories doing this? We co-sleep and I breastfeed exclusively when I have her, and pump at work. I need move her out of the bed and end night feeding entirely by the time she is 12 months, out of necessity. She currently wakes up at least 3 times a night to feed or for comfort (habit?) I have been trying to pat and soothe her back to sleep shushing etc... which rarely works and I'm too tired not to give her the boob. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:33 pm 

Butternut wrote:

Anyway, thinking about how I can't make sense of some things and realizing that not everything is my fault makes me feel better when I'm having a bad day with breast feeding.

^This. I swear, motherhood turns on some sort of latent "guilt gene" so that when bf'ing (or other stuff) isn't going right, you just know that you're scarring your child for life, and it would've been so much better if they had another mother who could've handled it better....yada yada.

@lb..we are going to be in Michigan then too!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

DS, the Emperor was older when he night weaned but basically I just started telling him no when he'd wake up and ask. He was confused/upset maybe 2 nights in a row and then after that if he woke up at all, I'd say no and he'd just be like oh, all right, and go back to sleep. We kept co-sleeping for a long time after that, like 4 or 5 months.

No idea if that'd work with a pre-verbal baby but it's worth a shot maybe? Good luck with whatever you try!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LB, first - congrats on a year of breastfeeding. That's awesome! Second, some of the best advice I've gotten re: breastfeeding difficulties is to never make a decision on your worst day. If it's not working, it is okay to stop. I was an EP'er with my first, and there were so many horrible days where I wanted to go Office Space on my pump. I persevered and when I made the decision to pack it in when my daughter was 10 months old, it was because I was really ready on many levels to be done and not just because I was having a particularly shitty day. Ultimately, these years/months will pass, and whether you made it a year, 2, or not at all won't really matter anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I just wanted to add Lorelei's sleep issues go well beyond having to night wean her. She almost never falls to sleep on her own, if she does I am bewildered and amazed at what transpired because she fights sleep constantly. She has never, ever, ever just laid down sleepily and decided to take a nap unless she was in the car seat. Naps are a constant battle that I am working on desperately. She starts crying the instant I set her down in the crib, from day 1... I have also tried soothing her as she lays in the crib but since there really no such thing as her just laying in the crib it's more like me fighting her to get her to lay back down as she is crying to claw her way out of it and crying hysterically.

Also, I have to night wean her by myself without any help from her dad, because he isn't here right now and won't be for the next couple of months. I want to set him up for success because he will be providing care for her through the night some nights when I won't be at home in the future and I don't want her still expecting to nurse at night when I'm not even there. I need her to be able to sleep... in the crib. He is a heavy sleeper, and obviously can't nurse her. I feel like I owe it to him to at least night wean her by the time he gets back so that Lorelei isn't so dependent on me at night.

She'll be completely weaned off of breast milk at about 14 months and I have no idea how to do this. I'm going to a deployable ship in Washington after we leave here in late October.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:52 pm 

DS, babynut sounds the same as Lorelei. I was convinced that my husband would not be able to put her to bed or nap, but when I'm not there he manages. He found his own ways that work for him.

I have no help for weaning, as we have not done that yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Dragonssister, flavabean posted about weaning her son recently, and it sounded like she was able to distract him from nursing really effectively. Maybe PM her and see if she could give you a hand?

Good luck!

LB, you're awesome <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:02 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

dragonssister wrote:
I need to night wean Lorelei over the next 3 months. Can anyone tell me about their success stories doing this? We co-sleep and I breastfeed exclusively when I have her, and pump at work. I need move her out of the bed and end night feeding entirely by the time she is 12 months, out of necessity. She currently wakes up at least 3 times a night to feed or for comfort (habit?) I have been trying to pat and soothe her back to sleep shushing etc... which rarely works and I'm too tired not to give her the boob. Any help would be appreciated.

The sleep issue really sucks and I am sorry you have to deal with this. I know it sucks to do this at night, but I would try to offer her a bottle for one feeding and see how she takes it and go on from there. Maybe she accepts it as a substitute? Or do you plan on not feeding her at all anymore during the night?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:33 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Well, I don't really want to give bottles at night because it can rot their teeth. And I don't know if she is actually hungry or just doing it to go back to sleep. I think sometimes she is actually hungry though because when my supply was low she was NOT happy at night a few nights because there wasn't enough milk.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 am 

It won't rot her teeth if you give her the bottle just to feed her. Rotting is only an issue if the bottle is used as a replacement for a pacifier.

My daughter gets a bottle at most nights. I often read that at her age (8 months) she doesn't need the calories any longer. She usually only drinks half the amount she'd drink from a bottle during the day and I assume she does it for comfort, too. She drinks it and then falls asleep again. It's very similar to nursing her to sleep.
It took some time for her to reduce the amount of milk she would drink at night after I weaned her. For the first months she'd stick to her nursing rhythm, which was every three hours. Then after some time it was only two bottles per night, then one and now she often sleeps through it. It took us about four months to get there. (Or better, it took her four months. I let her do her thing and she decided she wanted less food during the night.) I think it might also have to do with the fact that she eats more and more solids. She usually eats some fruit and grain puree in the evening.

I don't know how helpful my advice is for you, because I stopped breastfeeding altogether. But I assume that Loreley is already used to bottles since you pump? We introduced bottles slowly and would substitute one nursing session for a bottle each week or so. That worked during the night, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:38 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

She is used to bottles while I am at work, so she has no problem with them. Nursing is just so comforting I think for both of us. Today, she has been extremely fussy. Arching her back in the highchair during meals, in the stroller, in the carseat, on the changing table... cried hysterically when I tried to put her in the crib for a nap while she was awake. Finally at 5:30 she started crying while in the bathtub which is one of her favorite things. I could tell she wanted to nurse because she was grabbing at my clothes and opening her mouth. Sometimes, I feel, it's like nothing else will do. She was restless and overtired. We tried something new, she laid on top of me and nursed and kind of laid her head to one side and fell asleep. I kept thinking to myself that it seemed so natural it is a shame that I have to bring it to an end. If it were up to me I would breastfeed to 2 years.

She let me transfer her to the crib shortly after and now I have a minute to myself I've been eating the same batch of rice that has been on the warm setting of my rice cooker for the past 6 hours. For having a 9 month old baby, I sure haven't gotten into the swing of things yet. I know its partially because I'm by myself right now but sometimes I just feel like I'm going crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 am 

dragonssister wrote:
I kept thinking to myself that it seemed so natural it is a shame that I have to bring it to an end. If it were up to me I would breastfeed to 2 years.

Yeah, it sounds like it's really, really stupid that you have to wean her. It sounds heartbreaking. I am sorry you have to deal with this. And I hope you can figure it out somehow.

dragonssister wrote:
She let me transfer her to the crib shortly after and now I have a minute to myself I've been eating the same batch of rice that has been on the warm setting of my rice cooker for the past 6 hours. For having a 9 month old baby, I sure haven't gotten into the swing of things yet. I know its partially because I'm by myself right now but sometimes I just feel like I'm going crazy.

I think this is a completely normal situation for someone who has to take care of a 9 month old all by themself. My sister was in exactly the same situation. How can you get into the swing, if there is no one to help you? For my sister, the first year was really tough, but then it got better. Lots of hugs to you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 am 
Semen Strong

Hugs Dragonssister, that all sounds so tough. I hope you find solutions that work for you soon. I don't know if this helps, but I feel like there isn't really a swing of things, even with a partner, though that does make things much easir. Every day is different and some are easy and some are inexplicably tough.

If you get deployed, will your partner be caring for Lorelei? Is there any support for Navy moms that could help you?

My friend is weaning her kid by going on a trip for a week. I've heard others do that, even though it may be abrupt, maybe that might be something you consider. I know your partner is deployed, but is there someone else who could take her?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 113  Next