| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am going on sea duty and he is going to shore duty. Right now we are doing the opposite and we will continue to rotate for the rest of our careers. That's what you have to do when you are a Navy family. So, when I go to my ship he will be the primary caregiver. I will have duty which lasts 24 hours every 3-6 days depending on manning and will sleep on the ship which means he will have her overnight pretty much as soon as I get there for duty days.

I don't really know anyone I trust well enough here to watch her which is also a problem for my current job because I can't stand duty on the weekends. They could write me up or worse for it if they wanted to press the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My milk came in today and WHOA, my boobs are comically huge! I think Scarlett's been latching on well enough, but it's been pretty painful for the first 30 seconds or so each time. My midwife is coming by tomorrow so hopefully she can help me if she sees a problem. I'm hoping my nipples just need to get used to nursing and I'm not doing something horribly wrong and destroying them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

I had the same experience when I had Leela, if that makes you feel a bit more reassured. I know the courses I took said "if its painful, you're doing it wrong" but it seems like most people on the PPK have had the same experience. .

I absolutely forbade my partner from taking photos of my massively engorged boobs, but now I kind of wish I had them hahahaha.

Hurrah for Baby Scarlett!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

Last edited by Tofulish on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yup, that was my experience too, with both babies. I hope it passes soon but yay for milk either way!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had the same pain about a month ago but just on my right side. Someone on here (sorry, don't remember who) suggested to pump that side and it worked. I don't know if the nipple needed a break, but I only pumped twice in place of nursing that side and it really helped. I don't know if pumping is an option because Scarlet is so young, but between that and the LC hope you find relief!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

littlebear wrote:
I really need some support right now. I am just at the end of my rope with breastfeeding. Grey is constantly pulling my shirt down, squeezing my nipples anytime I hold Hm and wants to nurse a thousand times a day. I feel like I am just a boob and there is no snuggling or anything unless it is to breastfeed. I spent an hour trying to get m to sleep and he wouldn't despite being so tired and he spent the whole time nursing and pulling on my nipples. I really, really want to keep breastfeeding, but I am so tired of jut being a boob. And I feel like he really wants to breastfeed and I know it is so important, but this is exhausting and it makes me annoyed and frustrated with him s lot of the time. Also, I am so tired of being the one to put him to bed every night. Lat night I went out for the first time in months, came home around 10:30 and he was crying and I had to breastfeed him to sleep. I just don't know what to do anymore. He will be a year old in about a month.

Im at the end of my rope also. I swear Miles is going to break my nose or give me a black eye with his foot one of these days. He is constantly kicking me in the face when he is nursing on the left and laughing about it. He is such a wiggly worm. It's just not a nice experience anymore. I wanted to get to a year and I've past that. Now I'm just waiting until after our vacation, which is the week of July 4th, and then I'm going to start actively weaning him. The only thing i'm nervous about is the once in a blue moon when he wakes up at night hungry...it really has only happened about 5 times since he's been sleeping through the night..I'm incredibly lucky..but I'm hoping a sippy of almond milk or something would sooth him enough to go back to sleep.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

how am I EVER going to build up a freezer stash? i try pumping first thing in the morning and that seems to work ok, but I'm using a hospital grade pump and still getting barely 3 oz total. During the day my pump is at home while I'm at work with the eating machine and once I get home its pretty much nurse nurse nurse til I go to sleep. I know that at 5 wks postpartum I probably don't have a full milk supply yet but I'm already worrying about the day when my boss doesnt want me to bring Sierra in anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

mooo wrote:
My milk came in today and WHOA, my boobs are comically huge! I think Scarlett's been latching on well enough, but it's been pretty painful for the first 30 seconds or so each time. My midwife is coming by tomorrow so hopefully she can help me if she sees a problem. I'm hoping my nipples just need to get used to nursing and I'm not doing something horribly wrong and destroying them.

I think that's just how it is in the beginning. It was like that with all three of mine, but got better.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

@Audrey...how often is baby nursing during the day? Maybe you could squeeze in a session there? Also, I found the Making More Milk book that kimba recommended to be helpful wrt pumping. Also, first thing in the morning has not always been the best time for me. If bean feeds a lot in the early morning hours, then I'd be sorta "depleted", heh.

Ditto to those saying that there was pain in the beginning, every time. It got better for me about a month in, until we hit well, let's just call it "the troubles". :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Three ounces isn't that bad in my opinion. If you pump three ounces everyday, you'll have 90 in a month.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Audrey wrote:
how am I EVER going to build up a freezer stash? i try pumping first thing in the morning and that seems to work ok, but I'm using a hospital grade pump and still getting barely 3 oz total. During the day my pump is at home while I'm at work with the eating machine and once I get home its pretty much nurse nurse nurse til I go to sleep. I know that at 5 wks postpartum I probably don't have a full milk supply yet but I'm already worrying about the day when my boss doesnt want me to bring Sierra in anymore...

I had this same fear too. I actually didn’t really have any freezer stash a month ago (if you look back in this thread you can see my freak-out post about it). What I did was to pump at work my normal pumping 2x a day and then add an additional session at night or in the a.m. I don’t pump more than that 2x at work because I just can’t remember to and have noticed that I don’t actually get any more milk in pumping more often. Also, for me, I have to pump shortly after I get home or I’ll forget or just get lazy about it. Same with in the morning. It’s either right away (after nursing A. from one side) or forget about it. I also pump a couple of times on the weekend (as best I can). For weekends, I will sometimes nurse her on one side and then pump the other and that helps to remember to do it.

At six months, I know how much she drinks on average (something you will figure out with your little one). This is really detailed, but to give you an idea of how I’ve been able to build my stash back up, the most A. usually drinks in one day is 16 oz. (4 four oz. bottles). Often, she will only drink 12 oz. while I’m at work, but I always leave 16 oz. in the fridge. I aim to pump at least 20 oz. in a day. If I get home and she’s only had 12 oz., I save the extra bottle for the next day, and then I’m able to put 8 oz. into the freezer. I put everything I pump on Saturday into the freezer and then on Sunday (and sometimes Monday a.m.), I pump for Monday. It really adds up over time. Even by only putting 4 oz. into the freezer everyday of the work week, that’s five bottles for another time. And, in the meantime, she has enough fresh milk available to her that I generally don’t need to touch the stash.

So, basically it boils down to that you will probably have to pump at work, and throw in extra pumping when you can. It really works for me to just nurse completely from one side and then pump from the other since I'm already sitting down and giving that time to nursing. I don't pump while she's nursing, but immediately afterwards. She thinks it's pretty funny and sometimes tries to help hold the pump.

Another thing, I’m really flexible with myself about it. I don’t feel guilty if I’m too tired to do an extra pump any one day, or if I’m too busy having fun to pump both days on the weekend. Taking the more relaxed approach has actually made the whole process easier and I truly feel like I get more at each session pumping then when I would worry, stress, or drive myself crazy feeling like I had to do it even if I was too exhausted when I got home.

Hope this helps!

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

thanks for all the advice ladies!
Sierra nurses pretty freaking often while I'm at work, and some days she nurses so much overnight that the morning pumping is pretty paltry. It sucks because she does not sleep as deeply here at the office as she does at home - we stayed home yesterday and I was able to pump twice while she was napping. I think I'm just getting nervous because she cried a lot at the office on Wednesday and it makes me worried that my boss is gonna want me to leave her home sooner. I need to be calm and remember that she's only 6 weeks old tomorrow! it will all work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So I just learned that breastfeeding supplies are tax deductible. What do you think counts?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I'd check the IRS directives if any, but pump, bags, disposable tubing should all definitely be covered.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Supplements too maybe?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Supplements too maybe?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ugh, I'm still having so much nipple pain. I know it's still early and I'm really hoping it will just get better after some time, but I went to see a doctor who specializes in breastfeeding to make sure everything's okay with Scarlett's mouth and the way she's latching. The doctor thought there's nothing wrong with either, and that my nipples need a break from nursing to give them a chance to heal. She wanted me to pump and bottle feed her for 24 hours, which I just finished doing even though it made me so upset to give her a bottle while she's still so little, and I just missed nursing her. Now my nipples are not any better at all. I think the pump may have bothered them just as much. So I guess I'm just going to keep nursing her until I go back to see the doctor on Monday. I don't know what else she can do for me though and I'm going to be extremely upset if she tells me to give her formula temporarily.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mooo, you might want to try pumpin pals with your pump, they wont even touch your nipples.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Mooo, I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I really liked Ameda gel pads in my bra to protect my sensitive nips from chafing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooo, I (and a couple of others here as well) have had minor "injuries" to nipples that took awhile to heal up. I suspect in my catch is was from improper latching, but also maybe from Freya pulling off literally hundreds of times/day. I think my poor boobies just needed some rest/time to heal, but it took a good few days each time. How does the pain manifest itself? That is, is it only when she's nursing or all the time or worse during certain times? Is it painful to the air? Is it only the nipple?

Also, if you're at all concerned about latching, definitely worth talking to a lactation consultant, just to be doubly sure. If you feel pretty confident about it though, then maybe no need.

Ooh, also maybe try the La Leche League helpline: http://www.lllusa.org/helpline.php. LLL has absolutely been amazing in our situation!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mooo, i think several (maybe most?) of us have had pain early on, even with good latches. I suspect we had latch problems because I had cracked and bleeding nipples for a bit. It was painful as hell, but my lactation consultant's advice was to nurse through it. The wounds took a few days to clear up, but the pain got significantly better in a day or so. Also, it was recommended to let my nipples air dry after nursing or pumping. It will get better, but definitely consider seeing a lactation consultant - it can't hurt!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mooo, this isn't helpful because I don't have an answer, but in the beginning pumping and nursing were fairly excruciating and it just got better with time. I hated it at the time, a combination of him latching then screaming and flailing, the constant pumping and the intense pain, but now the pain is gone and he eats like a champ.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:38 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time moo. I had super sore nipples as well, but I am stubborn and just kept nursing. We did have to supplement with a bit of formula but I just kept nursing him and wincing throught the pain as much as I could and it worked out. I would also ice my nipples briefly before he would latch which helped a little. Lots of nipple cream, I always used a vegan one, I never needed to use a lanolin based cream. I also let them air dry and went shirtless as often as possible.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:41 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Audrey wrote:

3 oz isn't bad, I was lucky to get 1/2-1 oz when pumping. I was not very diligent though and I've never gotten more than 3 in a day of pumping after each feeding. The only time I got 3 oz in one go was when I had to go out for a charity event and was away from him for 12 hours. I just never leave him, thankfully I have that option otherwise I think BF would probably stop early for us :S

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you guys so much for all the input! The doctor I saw is sort of a deluxe lactation consultant; she's a "breastfeeding medicine specialist." Pretty fancy. As much as you all and everyone I know who's breastfed has told me that their nipples hurt at the beginning, this doctor insists that it shouldn't hurt. I definitely want to go to a LLL meeting but the one here is only once a month and it's not for a couple more weeks. I'm definitely willing to nurse through the pain, I mean, that's what I've been doing, but I'm just worried that my nipples will continue to deteriorate to the point where I'll be forced to take a break. After going through the labor and birth so recently I thought it was hilarious that the doctor asked me to rate the pain in my nipples; I feel like after that it's silly to say that anything is painful. But still, I know I shouldn't have to be tensing up and wincing the whole time she's nursing.

For those of you who had pain at the beginning, how long did it take for it to get better for you?

Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 111  Next