| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

It probably took 3-4 weeks for the latch-on pain to subside with me. I think it just slowly got better to where I didn't notice it at all. The LC I saw said it's pretty normal to have pain for the first 30 seconds (she said toe-curling during latch-on was common!). Even with a good latch I always had to brace myself to get through it. I didn't really start enjoying BFing until after at least a month or six weeks, for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I remember my LC said that she thought that 2 weeks of pain was pretty common, but for some women it could last 3 weeks. I can't remember exactly when the pain went away for me, but I know it was before 2 1/2 weeks. The first week and a half was definitely the worst!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mandycoot wrote:
It probably took 3-4 weeks for the latch-on pain to subside with me. I think it just slowly got better to where I didn't notice it at all. The LC I saw said it's pretty normal to have pain for the first 30 seconds (she said toe-curling during latch-on was common!). Even with a good latch I always had to brace myself to get through it. I didn't really start enjoying BFing until after at least a month or six weeks, for sure.

+1 yummy!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I was told the latch on pain generally goes away by 4-6 weeks postpartum because your hormones start to stabilize then. With the Emperor mine went away around 5 weeks I think. Curiously, with the Magician, it went away around 2 weeks-- and a lot of the other weird hormonal stuff that hit me with E just passed me by.

So I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but I'm going back to grad school! The university it'll be at is an hour long bus ride away and in order to make things semi-sane, I will only have classes Tuesdays/Thursdays... But I'll be gone for 8 hours. Yikes. There will be probably one stretch in there when I can pump. Are my boobs going to pop? Also: my baby won't starve to death, right?

Wish I could think of some way to discreetly pump on the bus.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I remember that pain. It seems like such a long time ago now. I remember it being really painful until the letdown began. Then, it was somewhat manageable. I don't remember how long it lasted. Almost 2 months, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
I was told the latch on pain generally goes away by 4-6 weeks postpartum because your hormones start to stabilize then. With the Emperor mine went away around 5 weeks I think. Curiously, with the Magician, it went away around 2 weeks-- and a lot of the other weird hormonal stuff that hit me with E just passed me by.

So I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but I'm going back to grad school! The university it'll be at is an hour long bus ride away and in order to make things semi-sane, I will only have classes Tuesdays/Thursdays... But I'll be gone for 8 hours. Yikes. There will be probably one stretch in there when I can pump. Are my boobs going to pop? Also: my baby won't starve to death, right?

I think what might help is to pump right when you get there, at lunch, and then before you leave. That way the commute time won't stretch out your time between pumpings. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 am 
Semen Strong

Congratulations C&S! That is so exciting! What will you be studying and what degree are you going for? I know you did really well and had great prospects out of uni, and it seems like this is a smart way to get back on the ramp to having a great career!

I am sure the pumping will work out, and I like Bnut's advice so much that it generally takes 3 months to acclimatize to going back to work. It seems like giving yourself that cushion can really help manage expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

coldandsleepy wrote:

So I don't know if I mentioned it yet, but I'm going back to grad school! The university it'll be at is an hour long bus ride away and in order to make things semi-sane, I will only have classes Tuesdays/Thursdays... But I'll be gone for 8 hours. Yikes. There will be probably one stretch in there when I can pump. Are my boobs going to pop? Also: my baby won't starve to death, right

I pump before I leave in the morning (630), during lunch (1130) and nurse when I get home (400). It took a few days to get used to it, but my body adjusted. And my boobs never popped, nor did my baby starve! I have a friend who pumps in her car between work sites.. just throws on the cover and drives away!

Also...re: painful latch, has anyone suggested infant massage? I bet you can google techniques, but if you sort of rub your fingers outward along the top and bottom lips you can relax baby's muscles, which is supposed to help with a deeper latch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sometimes I think things would be so much easier if I decided not to nurse my baby. I'm glad that I am doing it, but I don't always like it. I am really looking forward to the six month mark, at which point I think I will be looking forward to one year. I kind of just want to get it done. I think it was just a little harder these past few days. Hopefully I will feel better about it soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Congratulations, c&s! I'll also have long days at school this year and I'm sure I'll be on here asking for help from all you experienced pumpers. My school has a "breastfeeding room" where I can pump, but it's really more of a closet than a room. I guess I'll be getting to know that closet well. At least I can have my computer and try to be productive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm here to whine and could use a pep talk. I'm so over pumping at work and over SO and/or the sitter treating breastmilk like it's just so easy to replace. This morning SO gave A. a bottle when he could have just brought her to me to nurse. This means that he had to take more milk out the freezer (the stash I just started to build!) for today because he used one of the fresh bottles. I have asked him several times not to do this but he still says he's "helping" by letting me sleep in a bit longer. Um... no, sir. That's no help. Then, both he and the sitter just leave an oz. in a bottle or sometimes even two and just start a new one, or they leave bottles out of the fridge and then they end up having to be tossed. They don't seem to get that, hello, there is no breastmilk fairy. I make this ish with my body.

I am so ready to just be done. I'm tired of pumping at work and schleping everything to work and back, dealing with the privacy sign on the door and the older gentlemen, or young female associates, who work here and don't quite get that it means don't knock on my dang door when you know I'm pumping and the sign is up and the blinds closed! I won't even mention the somtimes leaking on my work clothes or not being able to pump because of a meeting. :( And pumping is physically uncomfortable for me. Not painful, but just not fun. I can't imagine another 6 months of this, I really can't, and my girl just is not really interested in solids and I can't even begin to fathom the idea of giving her forumla from cow's and our pedi is concerned about allergies to soy (because of my seven year-old) and has basically guilted me into feeling like I can't give up. Her words to me where that if she, a doctor, could pump the entire time then so could I, end of story.

Maybe I just have the Mondays. Please tell me I'm not crazy for feeling so at the end of my rope with this.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Not crazy! I look forward to weekends because (among other things) it means all nursing and no pumping. Also, I know lots of people on here have given the advice, don't look at it as 6 months, but take it one day at a time. See how you're feeling about it tomorrow... hope you're just feeling the Mondays today!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When I came back to work my office walls had not yet been put up (I started a couple months before the baby was born, it took a long time for my office to get built!) and I was in a big open space with swinging/non-locking doors on one end and a non-locking door on the other side that was a common way for people to get to the second floor. I didn't pump at work for long, but I made a sign for the swinging doors that was a big red stop sign with the words "STOP. DO NOT KNOCK. COME BACK IN HALF AN HOUR" on it and a sign for the other side that was "STOP. DO NOT ENTER. USE OTHER STAIRWELL." I could hear people coming down the hall to bug me and then stopping at the door and turning around without knocking. Just a suggestion! And leaking on work clothes is THE WORST. I used to strip to the waist while I pumped and put on a cardigan-style sweater so there was less work-clothes to drip on.

I hope your SO and babysitter figure it out soon! It seems like they should be able to figure out saving those last ounces and then combining them into one bottle for the last bottle-feeding of the day.

You are a hero for keeping at it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Good thoughts to all who are struggling! I thought I'd share this as a reminder of how fast time goes.

I had dinner with my husband and his cousin last night, and the cousin was telling me that at 16, his son is totally against all forms of physical affection. No kisses, no hugs, nothing. And it seems so sad and not that far away. So today, we were in the middle of a marathon nurse-to-sleep session, and I was so grateful for those tiny feet squished up in my belly and the fact that she was snuggled so super-close to me that I could smell her hair and the babyness of her. I'm trying to soak up all the snuggles I can!

My doula was saying that her 18 year old is still supersnuggly though, so I am holding out hope that Leela stays snuggly for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

No kidding T. The Emperor is going through this thing where he really likes to climb all over me and be kinda rough and super physical with me, but he won't just snuggle most of the time anymore. I think back to all that time I spent just holding and loving (and yeah, feeding) him and I miss it. And so when the baby did nothing but nurse all last night and today, I tried to hang on to that.

MMT, I agree with trying to take it 1 day at a time... I hope things get easier for you soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beetroot turned 4 a few weeks ago. He was only nursing once or twice a week and hasn't asked in at least a fortnight. And Raygold is only nursing twice a night max. My boobs are even down to a size A considering I've been nursing for 4 years straight, they've held up pretty well). I don't even have to wear tops that give easy boob access.

Erm...I was going somewhere with that, but the kids are asking to play with my tools (I have a tool bag in the purple room and it fascinates them) and I lost my train of thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm sorry MMT! I exclusively pumped (and did have to supplement) with my first, and am now pumping and nursing my second. And yes, it sucks sometimes! My day care has new rules (state guidelines, apparently) that they can't reuse breastmilk that isn't finished within an hour. They work really hard to get the baby to finish a bottle within that hour time frame, but there have been times where an oz or so gets tossed, and it's heartbreaking. My approach with my husband when I was pumping full-time was that he could never, ever throw away breastmilk. If he fed the baby, he needed to keep track of when/how much was taken, and I would make the final decision. Maybe that approach would work for you? Maybe also write up clear instructions for the sitter and/or SO and demand (ever so kindly, of course :)) that they be followed? Following your instructions should be a no-brainer for the sitter, I'd hope.

Re: the pumping at work, I'm pretty open about what I'm doing when the door is closed and the do not disturb sign is on my door. I find that it embarrasses and terrifies people, and they then go overboard trying not to disturb me when I'm pumping. I know this may not be helpful in certain work environments (e.g., I wouldn't have done that at the law firm where I practiced 6 years ago), but it works well for me.

Have you thought about trying to get some donor milk to take off the pressure? Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Eats on Feet are some of the informal groups that match donors with women looking for milk. Also, I don't believe there is any vegan formula - even soy formula is not vegan, right? I don't know whether dairy or (non-vegan) soy formula would ultimately work for you, but I would strongly consider supplementing just take off some of the stress on you. What your baby (and you) needs first and foremost is a sane mom! Hang in there, and yes, you are a hero for sticking it out!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks, guys. I am doing the one day at a time thing and I do have a glaring sign that I put on my door and the older gentlement just don't get it, and neither do the young ladies, sadly. And it's not even legal for them to bug me, but I won't even go there. :P

No formula is vegan, but I wouldn't feel right taking human milk from a bank knowing there are others who may need it more than me. I'm just going to keep chugging along and feeling sorry for myself in between.

Like Tofulish and coldandsleepy both mentioned, it does go by faster than it seems so I know it won't be FOREVER that I'm feeling like this. It only feels like forever. LOL.... (And, as a sidenote, it's made me even more sympathetic for dairy cows. Can you imagine being pumped all day for years. Torture!)

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

kimba wrote:
Sometimes I think things would be so much easier if I decided not to nurse my baby. I'm glad that I am doing it, but I don't always like it. I am really looking forward to the six month mark, at which point I think I will be looking forward to one year. I kind of just want to get it done. I think it was just a little harder these past few days. Hopefully I will feel better about it soon.

This was/is me exactly and I can say that once I got to the six month mark it was super easy to get to one year. I know that I could easily go on for another year but don't want to and I really don't think Miles needs too.

I went out after dinner the other night to get stuff at the local grocery store and when I came home Miles was already in bed...asleep! He doesn't need to nurse before bed anymore which is so wonderful for me if I want to go out at night once in awhile. I think the only time he really wants to nurse is when he wakes up in the morning. When I start weaning him after our vacation next week I might just keep the morning session active for a bit longer then the mid day/evening feedings. I happy things are coming to an end but am also a bit sad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

((hugs)) kimba and MMT. Kimba, I feel that way still many days. Thank the maker that bean is nursing within the range of normal now, I think. It's still awkward sometimes and I don't think she's ever really like "oh yes, booby time, I'm so happy". I think it's just because we missed that whole bonding, blissful sorta experience when she was tiny. We do have moments that are fun (she's a very goofy baby), but for the most part it's just what we do. Things got exponentially better about 5+ months for us, so maybe that will be the case for you as well.

MMT, please know that whatever you decide to do wrt feeding, the PPKers in this thread are going to be there for ya. I've posted a *lot* about the pita that we've been through, and I'm absolutely convinced that were in not for this board (along with some help from LLL), we'd not be nursing still. Sometimes having someone else (besides hubby) to say that your situation is totally sucking asparagus, is comforting.

Oh, I have tears in my eyes after reading about the no-snuggle kid. I'm really convinced that bean sleeping in her crib is going to help our sleep situation, but it's so so so freaking hard. Nursing a few minutes ago, and she is plastered to me...I"m not even sure how we fit the boob in there.

I love Freya. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

W started doing this funny thing today... in the middle of nursing, he smushed his face into my boob and scrunched up his whole body. He didn't make any sounds like he was uncomfortable and then relaxed and went on as normal. He did this a few different times today. Does this mean something or is he just getting an ab workout?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I still breast-feed if I have food poisoning right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I still breast-feed if I have food poisoning right?

Yep. Sorry, T. Feel better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you ! <3 Happy Birthday Mitten <3 May it be as amazing and wonderful as you and Walter are!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

kdub wrote:
W started doing this funny thing today... in the middle of nursing, he smushed his face into my boob and scrunched up his whole body. He didn't make any sounds like he was uncomfortable and then relaxed and went on as normal. He did this a few different times today. Does this mean something or is he just getting an ab workout?

Peeing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 115  Next