| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 178  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos did not want to sleep today. Also, in the evening, he was grunting, crying and delatchung while nursing, but hysterical if I took the boob away. Finally had to have dad give him a bottle because I just couldn't take it anymore. It's hard to see my stash dwindle, but at least I have one still.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My assistant came to work today after throwing up all night. She just left because she threw up her lunch. Seriously people, don't come to work if you're sick!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 am 
Married to the wolfman

Baby is getting like nineteen more teeth in and has wanted to do nothing for the past 48 hours but nurse and nurse and nurse and gnaw on my nipples while he does so. I'm a forking wreck and everyone in this house needs to leave me alone until after I've had my cup of coffee.

On that same note, dear Emperor: stop with the "I'm stiiiill hungryyyyyy" thing. Especially when there is still food on your plate.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am 
Naked Under Apron

WHOA. Dahlia has always had issues with not wanting her fingernails trimmed, and always gives Howard a really hard time about it (he does the weekday bath/grooming routines since I'm at work, and I do the weekend.) Well, yesterday it was time to trim her toenails and he asked me to do it because she's so difficult.
Guys, he had to literally hold her down for me and even then she was curling her toes making it virtually impossible, and ohmygod the screams!! I have never ever seen her scream like that, I felt simultaneously horribly guilty and worried about the neighbors. She's never been cut or had any mishaps like that, so why is she so terrified? It was absolutely insane, and when it was done - quite incompletely, as you can imagine - she was able to calm down and talk to me about it a bit but with no explanation for the hysteria. There has to be a way to get this done, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
WHOA. Dahlia has always had issues with not wanting her fingernails trimmed, and always gives Howard a really hard time about it (he does the weekday bath/grooming routines since I'm at work, and I do the weekend.) Well, yesterday it was time to trim her toenails and he asked me to do it because she's so difficult.
Guys, he had to literally hold her down for me and even then she was curling her toes making it virtually impossible, and ohmygod the screams!! I have never ever seen her scream like that, I felt simultaneously horribly guilty and worried about the neighbors. She's never been cut or had any mishaps like that, so why is she so terrified? It was absolutely insane, and when it was done - quite incompletely, as you can imagine - she was able to calm down and talk to me about it a bit but with no explanation for the hysteria. There has to be a way to get this done, right?

I can only commiserate, not sure how to remedy the situation, but I just wanted to say my son is exactly the same, but with hair-washing. Doesn't matter if we keep the shampoo and water away from his face. He will scream and cry the entire time. His hair is super short too, so if he were to cooperate, it'd take all of 40 seconds to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Audrey wrote:

Not that this deals with the underlying fear of nail trimming at all, but I know a kid who also hates nail trims so much that her parents do it while she sleeps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ditto to doing it while they sleep. This is a really common problem with toddlers, but I'm not sure where it comes from.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We have the hair washing thing. And we used to have the nail trimming thing, but then the Emperor randomly decided he likes it and now asks us to do it. No new advice, just sympathy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Silas had the hair washing thing which morphed into loving hairwashing/hating teethbrushing, then one day he decided he was happy to do everything. Kids just don't make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 pm 

Speaking of traumatic toothbrushing, at what age did you let your kid do it by themselves? Lydia HATES it when I brush her teeth, she wants to do it herself, but she doesn't even get a quarter of her tooth surfaces brushed when she does.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started letting Silas do his by himself last week, but I "check" them after and basically re-brush them. He's practicing and happy to be independent, but I feel better knowing that his teeth are actually clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We let E (almost 3!) do a pass, then we do a pass. We started letting him try to do it himself way back, like maybe 1.5? We all long for the day he can do it himself, but he's just not there yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am probably going to do it FOREVER! Carlos will be 33 and I will still be brushing his teeth. He will be like "Mom, quit it, I can brush my own teeth!" and I will be like "Never, son! That's what you get for having a dentist as your mom! Waahaahaa!" He will be traumatized for life, but he will have great teeth!

Okay, I don't have a particular age in mind. Carlos doesn't have teeth yet. I've brushed his gums before to get him used to having teeth brushed, but it doesn't bother him, so it doesn't seem like he has anything to get used to. I am very excited for him to get teeth and to start working on tooth maintenance. (Not so excited for him to get teeth in terms of breastfeeding.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 pm 

Ha! I think we can tell you are a dentist, kimba :-)

Letting her do it all by herself first and then me "finishing it up" sounds like a good thing to try. I usually brush her teeth first, and then let her do it herself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Nanny Vent:
Hey buddy. You're 15 months old and pretty darn cute. But you're not training for a MMA fight, so stop hitting me! Especially in the face. While we're at it, stop throwing your heavy books AT MY FACE. I like reading to you, but easier to do without a bloody nose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh man, I hate wedding season. My husband's cousin is getting married this summer, and she's being pretty firm on there being no kids at the wedding. None of our friends are available that weekend to watch E, so it looks like we can't go. Well, Nate's parents are PISSED. They're calling up random people in their town (well, random to us, they're people they know but we've never met them), begging someone - ANYONE - to watch the poor boy. There are many problems with this, the two major ones being:

1) Ezra really doesn't care being alone with people other than the two of us and a few close friends (well, and the grandparents, and they'll be at the wedding too). He hasn't had a babysitter for all of his toddlerlife, and it's not going to go well if we drop him off and dash.
2) Even if we do agree for some stranger to watch our child, we're going to be pretty miserable at this wedding, freaking out and wondering if everything's ok (bonus point: wedding's on an island, and there's no cell reception.)

We've seriously asked all our friends, and I feel like we've done all that's humanly possible to do in this sort of situation, but the in-laws are acting like we're making a huge deal out of nothing, and that we need to be there no matter what. I'm trying to get Nate to go by himself and I'll stay home with Ezra, but he thinks that'll look weird and it'll be certain that he'll have absolutely no fun whatsoever. Yeah, it sucks we can't make it work, but I really don't know what else to do that we'd be comfortable with. We're not trying to make a statement about kids not being invited and all that crepe, I just don't get why we need to make our whole household miserable for this...

(Super extra bonus point: the options for food are chicken BBQ or lobster bake. No extra options available.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh flava, I feel your pain! My husband is IN the wedding party for his best friend's wedding but I am not leaving L alone to go there. I feel bad bc his friend specifically arranged for a vegan meal (not yet paid for) but B will go alone. I told his friend that had to happen unless L could come, but honestly 1 year old at a wedding sounds like a disaster, so I think I have to revoke that offer soonish.

No cell reception and leaving Ezra with an unfamiliar sitter sounds like about zero fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

In a stunning role reversal, E went to nap with no hassle today... And M is still up, clinging to wakefulness with all his being. Why does no one ever want to sleep in my house but me?

Flava, that wedding sounds like a setup for a murder mystery.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Audrey wrote:

I have distinct memories of being held down by multiple members of my family so that my momma could put eyedrops in my eyes (I used to get pink eye a lot). While I remember being held down, I have absolutely no idea what I was so scared of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Separation anxiety and poop are a terrible combination.

I had Leela with her diaper off, and she pooped all over the floor and then managed to get it all over her legs, even thought I caught it right away. After washing her off, under violent protest, she refused to let me clean the bulk of it up because she didn't want to be left alone.

In related news, we now have transitional poop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I don't have kids (why am i even reading this thread) but what about filing nails instead of clipping? I haaaaaate the sound of nail clippers. It's like the worst sound in the world to me, so I never want to clip them. I just file (when I'm not biting them)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I don't have kids (why am i even reading this thread) but what about filing nails instead of clipping? I haaaaaate the sound of nail clippers. It's like the worst sound in the world to me, so I never want to clip them. I just file (when I'm not biting them)

This is a good idea! I know people who only filed until their babies got bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Aaaaaaaaaand now I have food poisoning and am shivering and vomited all over myself. I am still BFing but worried that Leela ate whatever I ate and will be sick all night.

FTD.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaand now I have food poisoning and am shivering and vomited all over myself. I am still BFing but worried that Leela ate whatever I ate and will be sick all night.

FTD.

Oh no! I had food poisoning when I was pregnant. It sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wow I've got all of the issues on this page!

Wedding season: I'm flying to California (from NJ) for one of my very best friend's wedding this Friday morning, coming back on Sun night. Kids weren't allowed and I couldn't get more time off from work so we figured it didn't make sense to bring a 20 mo. old on a 6 hr flight for 1 day. I'm so scared about what will happen to Kai home all alone with his daddy. It will be the 1st time he's gone to bed / woke up without me. The 1st thing he does when he wakes up is say "mommy mommy mommy" and previously, even if I was right there, if daddy is the one who got him out of the crib he'd cry hysterically. I hope this isn't a nightmare.

He also HATES getting his toenails cut. The odd thing is he doesn't mind his fingernails, just his toes. I've only managed to cut them twice or so in his life yet. Luckily the toes seem to grow way slower than his fingers, but it is definitely a problem.

As far as toothbrushing, Kai is obsessed with brushing his teeth! He is always grabbing me or my husband's electric toothbrushes. Just tonight he was putting it in his mouth then sticking it in mine. He also has a toddler toothbrush of his own that he loves to use before bed. I put just a grain of rice sized bit of toothpaste on it and he brushes away. I don't think he gets all his teeth that clean, but since he's only got 10 or so I figure it isn't too bad.

He also threw up last night for no apparent reason, right after eating a really good dinner for a change. I hope your food poisoning clears up quickly tofulish!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 178  Next