| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Aaaaaaaaaand now I have food poisoning and am shivering and vomited all over myself. I am still BFing but worried that Leela ate whatever I ate and will be sick all night.

FTD.

Oh no :( Let us know if you need help, Mr. A has no particular plans tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh dear. The best comfort I can think to offer is that food poisoning usually passes pretty quickly. Is your other half able to stay home for a day or two?

Drink lots of water and feel better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you so much! Ariann you are just too sweet. Mr T ended up staying home and taking the baby until I woke up at about noon. It wasn't even the worst case of food poisoning, but it was horrible enough that I am definitely not taking any risks with old food any more. I'm not even sure what caused it...

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Every time I leave you alone for 20 seconds you climb up onto the dining table. You are not as agile as you think, though, and you are going to break your skull. Please stay on the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Dear infant, I understand that you have drawn a totally logical conclusion: the rest of me must be made out of food too. But look kid, sometimes life doesn't make sense, and I'd really like you to stop latching onto whatever comes near your mouth whenever I pick you up. Thanks.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Why oh why mess with something that works... H is awesome about sleeping, I nurse him on the couch, he falls asleep, mr bap transfers him to the crib. Tonight I thought, I'll just put him in bed myself! He falls asleep, screams the second he gets put in bed. Fast forward 40 minutes, renursed, mr bap does the transfer, straight down. Jeez, silly me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Stuck in traffic on the Garden State Parkway
you scream your head off
Guess I should be glad you're not choking.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

this shiitake is forking hard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:58 pm 

I keep thinking tank, about that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" saying. Heh.

Will you ever, ever learn to sleep baby?

And to my father, will you ever ever quit being a jackass about us not living close by. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

refinnej wrote:
I keep thinking tank, about that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" saying. Heh.

And to my father, will you ever ever quit being a jackass about us not living close by. :(

I think your sleep struggles have been far worse than ours, but the last two nights have been magical. Here is hoping that this one year mark will make the difference for both of us!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beetroot is grounded from going to the beach -- our routine is when we have something to post, we go to the post box and then hit the beach on the way home, so the kids can walk around and throw rocks (sidenote, I found part of some false teeth that had washed ashore yesterday -- they were so weird, I took them home and gave them to my husband), but when we were leaving, there is this bit you have to climb up to get off of the beach and I was carrying Raygold and beety ran ahead and I told him not to cross the street and then he did and I screamed in terror like a maniac. No beach for a week.

Beety is also grounded from Mr. Crabby's computer for pouring two cups of tea over the keyboard last week. (I have keyboard condoms for my computer and laptop after he peed on my keyboard a couple of months ago.)

They also lost my embroidery needle when I was out of the room (I had it woven through some cross stitch thing and hidden in a book). (They managed to lose a 5" yarn needle a few months ago.)

Losing a really awesome embroidery needle is a PIA, but thinking my kid was going to be hit by a car (it's a country road and people drive really fast) almost gave me a heart attack!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

we are in a major power struggle over here about the nail trimming. I don't know what to do, her fingernails are long and gross and NOTHING is working. We had a totally miserable evening yesterday culminating in us taking away her beloved babydolls because she just won't let me trim them. Now this morning it is continuing and I'm just at a loss, and I'm feeling really sad about having to have this kind of dynamic going on. I'd try filing them but she won't even let me touch her fingertips at all at this point, she screams like crazy and I just can't handle it. I really want to just give her the goddamn dolls back but feel like that would be bad too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I promise I'm not digging in your nose because I like to torture you, but if you'd just let me get the rubber cement boogers out you could breathe much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:23 pm 

littlebear wrote:
refinnej wrote:

I think your sleep struggles have been far worse than ours, but the last two nights have been magical. Here is hoping that this one year mark will make the difference for both of us!

The sleep problems are surely tied to all the trouble we had breastfeeding. I was so scared of any hindrance to bf'ing that I kept her extra close. She knows how to go to sleep by herself now, she nearly always rolls away from me, onto her left side before she's asleep and self comforts rubbing her hands or holding on to Jemima (stuffed animal). It's just that she doesn't feel like doing it when she wakes up alone. We've had no luck really with naps in the baby crib in our room, so we're going to move it across the hall and give it a go sometime this week. I haven't tried any nighttime sleep in there, because I'm just too exhausted most days by 6:30. She's had a few random days where she's slept in the early evening for like 2 or 3 hours..so I feel like we're so close. She feeds well now, she has the ability to stay asleep for awhile, she can self-comfort, etc. I too though, am thinking that the one year mark might be more realistic of a goal. Mostly hoping we can survive our vacation, whew.

Is Grey sleeping longer the past couple of nights then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

crabby tell me about this keyboard/laptop condom.... I can't keep my kids grubby hands off mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Audrey wrote:
we are in a major power struggle over here about the nail trimming. I don't know what to do, her fingernails are long and gross and NOTHING is working. We had a totally miserable evening yesterday culminating in us taking away her beloved babydolls because she just won't let me trim them. Now this morning it is continuing and I'm just at a loss, and I'm feeling really sad about having to have this kind of dynamic going on. I'd try filing them but she won't even let me touch her fingertips at all at this point, she screams like crazy and I just can't handle it. I really want to just give her the goddamn dolls back but feel like that would be bad too.

I don't know if this would be a solution, but what if you gave her how you use a nail file on yourself and then let her try it on you and on herself? I don't know if the problem is that she's scared it's going to hurt or something, but maybe if she was more in control of the situation she'd feel better about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 am 
Nooch of Earl

So tired of being homeless!! SO TIRED. Last night we arrived in San Diego for husband's new job, but into a hotel. There's stuff everywhere, there's no space for us to be apart like if I want to go to bed but husband wants to stay up reading or something. We're crowded in here and sniping at each other constantly, and it is so hard to stay patient with V, who is just being a baby. I'm tired of having to keep her quiet in the hotel room. I'm tired of eating every meal in a restaurant with a 10-month-old.

And today's house hunting was pretty much a letdown. Oh, and after next week the hotel rates all get jacked up to >$400/night because of Comic-con, so if we don't get a place before then I have to pack everything up in the car and go somewhere else while the husband's at sea, or pay through the nose to stay where I am. I don't want to settle for some place I don't super like, but I just want a HOME already.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:19 am 
Semen Strong

Sending you tons of good thoughs annak!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 am 
Seagull of the PPK

big hugs mamas and papas and nannies and etc.
Tofulish wrote:
Stuck in traffic on the Garden State Parkway
you scream your head off
Guess I should be glad you're not choking.

one time we were stuck in a construction snarl in providence, i was at the end of my frigging rope and it started to hail big stones, both kids were screaming (on the way to the ER, one was having a crisis), i was fritzed, the hail started and they both got wide eyed and quiet. then the screaming went from frustrated to terrified. i found myself laughing. I am BAD MOMMY.

we've been having lots of drama here. not sure how to even explain except that i could use a bit of daddy backup here and i can only exhort you all to get on the same page as your partner, people, otherwise it's forking impossible. if my internet connection weren't so shitty i would have been able to buy my plane ticket and GTFO of here, that's how things have been for me lately.
my kid is 12 going on 22, and i am having some problems with it. also, still failing math. dad says that he can't be bothered to discipline, it's too much drama. then tells kid i'm mental. hilarity ensues. (not really).
to sum up: today we sell her laptop, close down her FB account (if i hear her say the word "meme" again i swear i will be mental for real), and put blocks on the work computers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:00 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ada has coxsackie. She had a high fever Friday night and then we took her to the doctor on Saturday and saw that she had a ton of sores in her throat and a couple on the bottom of her feet. She didn't eat all weekend (just nursed constantly) but she finally ate this morning so I think the worst is over. Since she's still contagious we can't hang around other babies, playground sprinklers, etc for a few more days. And it's pretty hot out so we're pretty much stuck at home for most of the day. Boo.

I hope you find a place soon annak!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 pm 

Oh, poor Ada. Is that the same as Hand, Foot and Mouth? That would sweep through the childcares I worked at and it was horrible. Is she drinking well? That seems to be a key to getting better.

Good luck annak!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

Also, @ Audrey, I completely forgot to type this before when I was typing about sleep (a subject to which I'm devoting much thought these days, heh!), but do you think Dahlia would respond to some sort of logical reward for having her nails trimmed? Something like buying some special polish or stickers (for her nails). I'm not keen at all on rewards for rewards' sake, but a related incentive can sometimes be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

an update to my saga from yesterday: well, no attempts at filing or a promise of reward helped, and as I suspected, neither did the whole taking things away approach. She's just genuinely terrified and I've had some work explaining to Howard that no, she's isn't just trying to be difficult - despite the fact that we've trimmed her nails all this time without incident, she's in some phase where she just cannot handle it.
BUT, yesterday afternoon at the end of her nap, we went in her room and sorta gently started to touch her hands. She woke up disoriented and confused, and then completely fearful when she saw the clippers, but by speaking gently as well as yes, holding her hands tightly, I was able to do one hand's nails pretty well and a passable job on the other. Since then we've talked a lot about how it didn't hurt and isn't scary but I'm pretty sure we're going to be having this battle again soon. But she got her dollies + post-lunch cookie back and we all feel a lot better.

Sashi, that SUCKS about the coxsackie...I'd been reading in some Brooklyn parent group thing that it was running rampant in our area. I hope Ada feels better soon, those sores sound awful and what I've heard is there isn't much remedy other than time. Hang in there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:16 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Refinnej, it is the same as hand, foot, and mouth. Audrey, it's definitely going around. I know of at least three other babies who had it in the last couple of weeks in our neighborhood. Ada seems to be much better today. She still has the sores on her feet but they don't seem to bother her and she's eating so I'm guessing the ones in her throat are not hurting as much anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:18 am 
Married to the wolfman

Child, did you have to pick the day when I really needed the cup of coffee to knock it out of my hand? No one was injured, but I am in despair. (Also, Toothpocalypse not over yet after all.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4300 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 172  Next