| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
Thank you ! <3 Happy Birthday Mitten <3 May it be as amazing and wonderful as you and Walter are!

I've gotta say, you are the kindest sick person. When I'm shaking and vomiting, I do not stop to give out compliments.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aw Tofulish... Feel better really soon. (and do keep nursing. If Leela gets the same thing, the best thing you can do to keep her hydrated is keep nursing.)

Happy birthday mitten!

The Magician has been grinding his teeth on my boobs. It's amazing that we made it to 5 months with pretty much zero issues but this is becoming a big problem fast. This has got to pass soon.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby is teething hardcore and wants to nurse ALL. THE. TIME. All night. All day. Anytime we are both semi-stationary he asks for boob. I am so drained!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mittenmacher wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
I still breast-feed if I have food poisoning right?

Yep. Sorry, T. Feel better.

Sorry Tofulish! Hope you feel better soon. I had the stomach flu a few months ago. At first I wasn't sure if it was food poisoning or a virus. Everything I read about both said to nurse through it. I did, and babynut never got it. It was miserable, though. My pedi said it can make your supply go down temporarily but I didn't notice that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm 

Oh, pb, those days are killer. When F broke the second tooth she was like that for about two days. We laid in bed one morning for I don't know, an hour and a half? She cried when I got up to pee! Whew.

Remember to drink your water (which funnily enough, is the same thing I posted to Tofulish wrt food poisoning, heh)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My nipple pain is just as bad, if not worse, and I have no idea what to do. I've seen a few different people about it now. I'm just continuing to nurse constantly and put up with pain.

If I weren't in pain, I'd be so happy about what a breastfeeding badass I am! Today I had to spend 4 hours at the DMV, and for at least 2 of those hours I had Scarlett nursing in the Moby wrap while I was standing in line. I managed to get a boob in her mouth without all the lovely DMV patrons seeing my nipple, and my Connecticut driver's license picture has a peek of the top of her head in it, because she was nursing while I took the picture!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Are you sure it isn't thrush? That hurts like a motherforker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mooo wrote:

If I weren't in pain, I'd be so happy about what a breastfeeding badass I am! Today I had to spend 4 hours at the DMV, and for at least 2 of those hours I had Scarlett nursing in the Moby wrap while I was standing in line. I managed to get a boob in her mouth without all the lovely DMV patrons seeing my nipple, and my Connecticut driver's license picture has a peek of the top of her head in it, because she was nursing while I took the picture!

That's cool!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Naked Under Apron

mooo wrote:
My nipple pain is just as bad, if not worse, and I have no idea what to do. I've seen a few different people about it now. I'm just continuing to nurse constantly and put up with pain.

You ARE a badass, 'cause I've only been able to maneuver properly to nurse in the Moby once! and I had to sit down in order to do it. Do me a favor and share your method, please? (sorry about the pain though...it took me several days for that to go away, but it sounds like you may have somethin' else going on.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

High five re: the DMV. I got my CA permit when the Magician was like four weeks old, and he slept through all of it except for the written exam, soooo I totally nursed him through that. Hilarious.

For me, the trick to nursing in a wrap (moby or a woven wrap) is to drop the baby down a bit before trying to nurse. Like untie it and let it loosen a little. You can re-tighten it after.

I also managed to nurse M in a cradle hold in the moby a bunch of times but I have no idea how.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:51 pm 

All you nurse-in-a-wrap moms are my heroines!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:40 pm 

Nursing at the DMV is awesome.

I think I got my stripes yesterday when I was on a crowded bus nursing in an aisle seat. The woman sitting next to me in the window seat needed to get off and I stood up, moved, sat back down and scooted over all without unlatching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am 

Yes, like c&s said, I had to scoot her a little lower in the moby, which left some loose fabric to pull up over her head so I didn't have to totally flash my boob. Once I got her to nipple height, I just pulled my shirt and nursing bra down below her chin and stuck her on.

The latest theory with the nipple pain is that I have a ton of milk, which was causing her to pinch my nipples to control the flow. Now that they've gotten to the point where they are so damaged with raw cracks, I've been told I really have to take more time off to let them heal. So I'm on day 3 of only pumping, and they're a little better but still not healed. The pump also just doesn't drain me as well as the real thing and I keep getting engorged and having to massage the shiitake out of my painful boobs. I can't wait to be done with this!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:14 pm 

Oi, that sucks. Are you using heat/compresses on your boobs too? I'm not sure it made much difference with me and fullness/plugs, etc. but it helped the pain. Letting your nipples get lots of air can help too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mooo you sound a lot like me in the beginning. It gets better, hang in there. I am going on 10 months now and those days seem like so long ago. I had dry cracked nipples for 11 weeks. The pump and lanolin (not vegan) was really helpful. I also had a warm compress that you are supposed to use on your shoulders that has rice in it that you can microwave to get hot and I put that on my breasts before feeding or pumping for about 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well, about a two ounce deficit for my first day at work. If I didn't have a meeting after the workday, I think it would have come out about even. I pumped before I left work, when I got to work, once in the morning, at lunch, once in the afternoon, after work, and after my meeting. That's 7 times. He ate four times. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 pm 

Sorry kimba. I'm having such a frustrating time with pumping already, I'm kind of dreading having to rely on it so much when I go back to school in September.

Thank you guys so much for the support, I really appreciate it. I do believe it'll get better. I also feel so lucky to have access to so much professional support through people I know as a midwifery student. Today I saw this breastfeeding guru who massaged a bunch of plugs out of my boobs and I shot tons of milk across the room, then pumped 5 ounces out of each side in like 5 minutes! It was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mooo wrote:
Today I saw this breastfeeding guru who massaged a bunch of plugs out of my boobs and I shot tons of milk across the room, then pumped 5 ounces out of each side in like 5 minutes! It was pretty awesome.

That is awesome!

Kimba, congrats on your first day back too. 2 oz deficit doesn't seem that bad... hopefully it will even out fast.

My own returning to school thing: the way it is most likely going to work out timing-wise, I'll be either in transit or in class from 1 pm to 10 pm except about an hour from 4:30-5:30ish. So I'll be able to pump then (but will have to carry my pump & any milk I pump with me on the bus, and I won't have access to a fridge either) but not any more in that time frame. My fear of this situation is almost enough to make me want to rearrange my classes so they're on 3 days (which would mean being gone about 5pm-10pm on 3 days) instead of 2 but I really don't want to give up another dinner with my family every week and spend another 2 hours on the bus every week.

On the upside, if it's really horrible, I can schedule my classes differently next semester.

Oh yeah: I really want to get an electric pump because if I'm going to need 9 hours worth of milk for the kid, I don't want to have to pump all that by hand. For people who've used both, do you see a significant increase in yield with an electric pump? Or is it mostly just a "now I'm not killing my wrists doing this all the live long day" kinda thing?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just got a hand pump and I get way more with the electric pump.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 pm 

I only used the fancy-schmancy hospital grade one, but it definitely works better than the hand pump. Mostly it was just a whole lot faster!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Carlos wants to nurse at 3am, which is not so bad except I can't fall back asleep. By the time I fall asleep he us ready to nurse again and after that I have to get ready for work. I am glad I have today off. I miss when he slept through the night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

kimba wrote:
Carlos wants to nurse at 3am, which is not so bad except I can't fall back asleep. By the time I fall asleep he us ready to nurse again and after that I have to get ready for work. I am glad I have today off. I miss when he slept through the night.

I feel ya. I often have to get up for a feeding at 3ish and then there's almost no point in me falling asleep again. I've never had a whole night without a feeding though, that sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It was amazing! About a month ago he was doing that off and on. It only lasted about a month. I am up again to nurse. I think I slept 1/2 hour.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

so how do I know if I have a clogged duct? I'm not really having any pain or anything. I do feel small lumpy things occasionally around the areola but couldn't that also just be, like, membranes or something?
honestly I think I'm sorta hoping something's clogged because I'm frustrated by my continued inability to get more than 1 oz per breast during a 15-20 minute pumping session. I don't want to stress about it, but Sierra's been at work with me the last 3 weeks and I feel like its time to start maybe cutting it down to 3 days a week or something. And I have a very small freezer stash of about 25 oz and feel like I will never be able to build it up at this rate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:44 pm 
Semen Strong

Can you use a warm compress on them and rub gently to see if they resolve? Do they feel warm to the touch?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 116  Next