| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you make for your baby/toddler to eat today?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, beans, except in the very specific forms of the first three bites of hummus, the kidney beans in horrible canned minestrone soup, and pureed from black bean soup into an unrecognizable mash, are overwhelmingly a no go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 pm 
Semen Strong

That makes me sad! Leela is eating everything at the moment - I know finickiness is inevitable, but it is all so easy right now!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

breakfast: O's and hummus on toast fingers
lunch: picnic with friends so I packed some bread, hummus, cucumber slices, tomato, avacado and a few celery sticks. He picked at everything. The only thing that was new was the tomato and he liked it.
dinner: cantalope (loved) and some green baby puffs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Vegan BLW, flicks the weasel!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Gorgeous.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm 
Semen Strong

You need to come to more potlucks! The next one is Saturday July 14! Even if you come by after services, they are superfun. Plus then Malka and Leela can tear it up. Jenn and Nora are going, so we just need to get JENNA and Miles onboard for a babygang get together!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I find that I can get my 15 month old to eat quinoa/oatmeal with hemp oil and flaxseeds and whatever other goodness involved if I put blueberries on it and make sure that every bite is a 'blueberry bite' (I have to say it, like it's really exciting). I'm thinking I'll try the same thing with savory grains/nooch etc. and peas, her other spherical fave....... otherwise it's very hit or miss, and I feel like I'm wasting a lot of good food.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tonight Kai had soba noodles with peanut butter sauce, shredded carrots w/ cinnamon & shredded cucumber. He loved the noodles, but wouldn't touch the veggies. *sigh* At least he ate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That sounds so good, aubade.

Today I made guacamole and refried beans but I failed with the beans because they were too spicy for her to try. It were a little too spicy for my partner so I didn't even offer it to her. But the guacamole on corn tortillas was a hit. And man oh man she loves strawberries. She ate so many I am worried about diarrhea.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Let's see if I can remember...

Breakfast: Half a banana, a dozen raisins, piece of wheat toast with earth balance (ate about a quarter of the piece)

Snack: Slice of watermelon, tofurkey slice

Lunch: A few random bites of my lunch at a restaurant (barbecued tofu, chickpea bread, pickle, tomato, French fry)

Snack: Plain soy yogurt, more watermelon

Dinner: Tofu cubes, cucumber, tomato, rice paper, peanut sauce, multigrain crackers

Snack: Trader joes alphabet cookies dipped in yogurt

Soy milk all day (maybe 16 oz)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:08 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

What a great thread! So many good ideas!

BabyEnchilada (9 months in less than an hour! Whoa!) had:

Breakfast: some bites of my muffin at the coffee shop
Lunch: brown rice with sauteed tempeh, onion, and kale with peanut sauce, plus lots of blackberries and a few of those organic puffs while we were waiting for the rice cooker to finish
Dinner: we were at a BBQ, so hummus, salsa, baguette, and grilled: tofu, portabello, and pineapple

and lots of breastmilk! I think he's been nursing a little more because it's finally warm weather here in Portland :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I love this thread!

Miles (13 months)

Breakfast: a whole banana and 3/4 of a multigrain bagel with Earth Balance
Snack: squeezie fruit package and 1/2 of my smoothie that I wasn't intending on sharing with him! (bananas, wild blueberries, peanut butter, cocoa powder, almond milk)
Lunch: PB & J
Dinner: gluten free pasta with broccoli and cauliflower, rice and beans
Before bed snack will be: blackberries and strawberries.

He's had lots of water and some almond milk to drink besides a very small amount of breastmilk....kid seems to be weaning himself.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Ooooh! That sounds good! And if he's weaning, perhaps that means fewer roundhouse kicks to the face these days?

We had Amande cherry yogurt and Os for breakfast with organic strawberries (she didn't eat much, but has been really sick). For lunch I wanted to try the rawmazing almond cheese I made (OMG so good!) but chickened out and just gave her a babysized avocado wrap with peashoots and peppers (tomatos give her a rash). My husband (he who regularly hates vegan cheese) and I both loved the wrap with vegan cheese, tomatos and a little extra sea salt. We had watermelon for dessert.

Dinner was steamed broccoli in a miso-tahini sauce (vcon), with adukis. Man that sauce makes everything taste amazing. She ate about 5 spears (heads only) and 2 Tbsps of beans, plus cucumber.

It was a pretty good day foodwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Today was a somewhat decent day, so I'm not embarrassed to share it.

Breakfast: toast with eb, banana, strawberries, and soy milk (he might have also had a bite or two of my trader joe's frosted flakes.)

Snack: fruit/cereal bar

Lunch: hummus and veggie sandwiches my mum made (she visited today, and we had a picnic at the local art walk), orange slices, and a chocolate chip cookie (also homemade by my mum - have to note: whenever she bakes vegan things, she has to preface it with, "They're not that good." Every time! Seriously, why would you say that before someone eats what you made them?)

Snack: mango sorbet from the local ice cream shop

Second afternoon snack (because that's how we roll): another banana and half a plum

Dinner: sesame tofu and vegetable noodles, pretzels, graham cracker with peanut butter, soy milk

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Breakfast: few bites of watermelon, few bites of wheat toast with tj's fake cream cheese

Snack: Cheerios, fruit and veg pouch

Lunch: .25 of a cherry tomato (I offered chickpea salad, a slice of tofurkey, and bread, but he was way too busy playing to eat).

Snack: 1/2 a hot dog bun with peanut butter

Dinner: tofu scramble with kale and nooch, 1/2 a hashbrown

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For the three-year-old (a lot of this was hit and miss, except for the fruit, which always gets eaten):

Breakfast: Fruit/cereal bar, yogurt, and an apple
Lunch: Black bean and guacamole quesadillas, blueberries
Snack: Peanuts and crackers
Dinner: Lentil Sloppy Joe's, mango, potato and green bean saute
Dessert: Strawberry shortcake with macadamia cream (we had intended this to be breakfast for our first annual Breakfast at Wimbledon celebration, but that didn't happen).

For the 5-month-old: his first solid food. Some mashed avocado with breastmilk. He inhaled about 5 tsp. and was pissed that I didn't give him more. He's only six pounds less than his three-year-old sister. Something strange is afoot with this guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Breakfast: carrot cake pancakes and she licked a strawberry
Snack: coconut yogurt
Lunch: We went out to eat and offered her rice, beans, and avocado in ginger dressing, shiitake bacon, gluten free pancakes with apple, kale salad...she ate one piece of shiitake bacon and we spent the rest of the time taking turns chasing her in and out of the restaurant and on the sidewalk.
Snack: kid's dynamo hummus with spinach added (from eat drink and be vegan) on homemade cheezy crackers
Dinner: okonomiyaki made with squash, carrot, and kale (I froze a batch for quick snacks/meals)
She is not so keen on fruit (even pouches) lately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

7 year old:

B - Slow cooked oats with rice milk, chocolate chips and a little maple syrup
S- miso soup with organic baby bok choy, broccoli and brown rice
L - apple sage field roast sausage in hot dog bun
D - pasta dish (eaten at a friend's but they called about the ingridents)

7 month old:
- avacado & banana blended with breastmilk and a little ice (no idea why ice, Daddy just added ice)
- oats

A. loved the oats. I think she is more partial to food with more texture and doesn't really dig the pureed stuff too much.

The whole sleep over while vegan thing is new to us, so I got a lot of phonecalls about what O. can and can't eat. It was really hard because it was an impromptu sleepover so I couldn't even pack or plan anything for her. I have a sneaking suspicion that she probably ate non-vegan stuff but she's learning (and I'm learning how to help her) navigate an omni world when I'm not there.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

B: half piece of wheat bread with soy yogurt on it (weird, but he loves it) and 6 oz smoothie with mango, raspberry, plain soy yogurt, almond butter, almond milk

slept through morning snack time

L: leftover tofu scramble with kale, tomatoes, Multigrain crackers

S: a pear sliced into quarters with peanut butter spread on it--he loved this and ate the whole thing

D: will be chickpea salad in a corn tortilla, watermelon. He might not eat much because he had such a big snack, and chickpeas are not a favorite food, but I have to keep trying.

It is hard to get him to eat protein that isn't soy yogurt, soy milk, or tofu. He isn't interested in seitan or beans (doesn't hate them, just couldn't care less). I buy bread with a decent amount of protein in it, and sometimes he will eat it, especially if he can dip it in yogurt. I'm going to try to cook peas more often. If it were up to him, he'd eat nothing but cookies, crackers, fruit, and raw tofu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mittenmacher, that's pretty much tzipi's food preference too. i try not to worry about protein too much, cause i'd go crazy. she had dairy yogurt and cheese at my mom's last week (ugh, don't get me started) but she was so fond of it, and won't really go for soy or almond or coconut yogurt or non dairy cheese, that i'm sort of considering letting her have it sometimes. it really is hard to get her enough fat and protein. especially with the bean hate.

today she ate barely anything with me, half a bowl of cheerios and milk, a bit of banana, mango and raspberry smoothie... then she was at daycare, and i don't know what she ate there. since i've picked her up, she's refused everything, so i'm hoping lunch was just filling and she isn't hungry yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We're having an okay food day today. So far the Emperor has had:

breakfast - sourdough toast with EB and nooch, two plums, an apricot-mango soy yogurt, glass of unsweetened soy milk
snacks - some almonds, some cashews, some corn thins, another plum
lunch - a field roast hot dog with ketchup

He's napping now (woo!) and when he gets up I expect he'll tell me he's starving to death. He'll probably have a mini-pb&j and a glass of soy milk. For dinner we're having potentially spicy tempeh sandwiches that he may or may not go for and salad (which he'll probably eat if he won't eat the tempeh).

The Magician gnawed on some dry toast and a bit of a corn thin. He didn't have any plum because I didn't feel like cleaning that mess up.

It is comforting to me to hear that there are other bean haters out there. E gets plenty of protein-- he is crazy for nuts, seitan, soy products, whole grain pastas, etc-- but sometimes I just want to eat beans without it being a drama-rama.

Oh, you know what else he won't eat (well, drink)? Sweetened non-dairy milks. He'll suck down unsweetened like it's going out of business, but the couple of times I've tried sweetened on him, he's told me "this is gross, I don't like this" and cried.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 pm 
Semen Strong

flavabean wrote:
Today was a somewhat decent day, so I'm not embarrassed to share it.

Part of the reason why I started the thread is because it is so daunting to feel like you have to make your kid a magical gourmet perfectly balanced meal. I was seeing all these meal plans that I just couldn't make happen juggling Leela and food preparation, so for me there is so much freedom in seeing what other people make when they're having a bad day.

We had one day where her lunch was Pirate's Booty and cut up veggies (I keep a big tub of them in the fridge). I'm not winning any epicurious awards, that is for sure!

I've gotten better at having easy meals ready to go, and this thread is a real help in that.

These days, its so hot that I just keep a bag of tortillas, packaged hummus, cut up veg and then some organic pea shoots and lettuces around, and make her a wrap. Sometimes the base is guac, sometimes it hummus, and today it was the almond cheese. I figure its all healthy, and pretty much organicish.

Today: Breakfast: Granola and coconut yogurt with strawberries
Snack: cut up veg
Lunch: Almond cheese wrap with red peppers and pea shoots (she really liked the almond cheese!)
Dinner: Avocado and nooch toast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Tofulish wrote:
We had one day where her lunch was Pirate's Booty and cut up veggies (I keep a big tub of them in the fridge). I'm not winning any epicurious awards, that is for sure!

Once, a couple of weeks ago, we were running behind schedule on leaving for the farmer's market and the Emperor was whining about how hungry he was, so I gave him a chunk of seitan (boiled, but not otherwise cooked) and a hunk of a baguette.

He told everyone we saw that day "I had seitan and bread for lunch!" and kept asking me if he could have the same thing again.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

haha, dude, i made tzipi ramen with frozen broccoli, and plain cubed tofu. i'm talking like the 39 cent ramen packages. she freaking LOVED it. she kept complimenting me... "mmm, so yummy! thank you mommy...mmm, soup." i was downright embarrassed, and she kept asking for it again and again. so i made a version with actual veggie broth and fresh veggies and orzo and she didn't love it nearly as much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Fried polenta and roasted sweet potato and carrot. Went down very well indeed, broad beans too but he preferred them raw, while we were cooking.

Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next