| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 113  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks t'lish!

I don't see myself trying to find dry ice if the power goes out, but the refreezing study is reassuring.

In the first few months I could never manage pumping any extra so I had no stash to speak of. Now that I have a considerable stash, it scares the shiitake out of me that something *might* happen. Probably not. I need to relax.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I responded to a HM4HB request on facebook the other day and have been messaging back and forth with the mom and found out she's vegan too! I'm happy to help another momma, but extra excited to share with another vegan mom!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 pm 
And you never will.

That is so awesome, kdub! I'm sure she's happy to be able to give her baby vegan milk, even if it can't be hers - so cool!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm 
And you never will.

That is so awesome, kdub! I'm sure she's happy to be able to give her baby vegan milk, even if it can't be hers - so cool!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Yeah that's awesome kdub! I donated to someone whose baby was allergic to dairy, so that worked out well, but finding someone who chooses to be vegan would be really special.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

kdub wrote:
I responded to a HM4HB request on facebook the other day and have been messaging back and forth with the mom and found out she's vegan too! I'm happy to help another momma, but extra excited to share with another vegan mom!

That is really rad!

I keep meaning to pop in and tell this story in this thread: so I have taken to pumping while rocking the Magician to sleep in the Ergo (on my back) pretty regularly. I often add a third element in, like reading the PPK on my phone or making a to-do list or whatever. So the other day I was studying for a midterm while pumping. With flash cards.

The Emperor said something to me and I turned in an awkward way to see what he was up to... and managed to fumble my flashcards and give myself a paper cut. ON THE BOOB.

The hidden risks of breastfeeding.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm 

Cold&sleepy, that sounds like the most amazing multitasking ever. I'm applying for grad school next semester and I look forward to asking you for tips to manage it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Things have been kinda rough with supply, starting with limited time to pump at work, exacerbated by a trip to the emergency room and several days of nausea/limited intake, and approaching a cross country trip sans baby in 6 hours. There is NO extra milk left and I am pumping 5 ounces for every 15. Hopefully things will start to get back on track after my trip. Will be bringing back pumped milk on the plane and am particularly worried about that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, kimba, best of luck! Sorry to hear you've hit a rough patch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

Aw Kimba, good luck on your trip. Sorry to hear you've been through so much crepe lately!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:52 pm 

Aw, Kimba, I hope things smooth out soon. You've worked really f-ing hard. FWIW, I had pumped milk on the plane from/to the UK and it was fine. We used ice packs and had one bottle of liquid milk on the flight there, along with some frozen. On the way back, I only did frozen. Are you feeling better now wrt nausea/food?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes. I am so happy to be eating again. Still not entirely sure what happened. My heart looks good though, which is good because there was some concern about that. I need to schedule a follow up, but I don't think I will get any answers. I survived the plane trip on the way here. Return trip is Friday, so
I won't be here long. This will be my first chance to sleep though and that is exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hope you make the best of the sleeping! The first time I went away to a conference after Malka was born I didn't sleep the first night AT ALL. It was awful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So this morning I dumped about 1/2 ounce of breastmilk on the keyboard. I sopped up what I could and then had to be on my way to work. My husband calls me to ask if the keyboard was working this morning?....why yes it was. Indeed. I hope he doesn't start prying the keys up because then I am pretty sure he will SEE what happened :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician is having a nursing strike I guess. He's sick and has nursed only twice since last night around maybe 11pm, very weird for him. He keeps fussing til I take the goods out, then he'll latch on a second (one suck or less), pop off, whine at my boob, rinse and repeat.

Kinda awful, and my nipples really hurt now too. I tried giving him a bottle with much the same response. He's produced two wet diapers so I'm not super worried, it's just... Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm 

Oh, poor bear. I wonder if it hurts to suck because of sore throat/tonsils etc.

Feeling really lucky to live in a place with good bf'ing support. Went to the hospital clinic yesterday after a blister last Tuesday that hurt like holy hell. It popped (apparently) and the pain was better, but then Saturday the boob on that side started getting really, really REALLY sore to touch, but no redness or anything. By the time I was at the clinic, there was a line of red, but I couldn't feel any plugs. The midwife/LC there said it was likely that the milk was sort of "thick" because of being held up by the blister, and that once I got it out, it should be okay. Still hurting today, but less. I swear, I don't know how those of you who've had mastitis survived. I spent two nights last week crying when Freya nursed to sleep, as she nurses longer then. Ow ow ow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm in the process of weaning Older Girl. She'll be 3 in December and I'm just ready to be done. Currently in the process of getting her un-addicted to her first-thing-in-the-morning nommage. (You'd think it was a morning coffee addiction the way she acts... ha). I think once she gets used to that then it'll be fairly easy: shorter and shorter sessions (I only let her have one a day now).

I'm glad to have nursed her this long, through a pregnancy and with a newborn. She's a healthy happy girl and it was worth it, but I'm still ready to be done. :-) She's always been a booby fiend and refused nuks and bottles like they were big bad monsters. Younger Girl nurses regularly but is nowhere near as attached because she takes a nukky, so I'm curious if nursing her to 2 will be more of a challenge.

C&S, I love the paper cut story. I cannot figure out how you have two kids and go to school and don't lose your mind.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Did I even have a mind to lose?!

Also, maybe you should just give her coffee instead!

(joking!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am starting to think about weaning, I am thinking 18 months. We have started giving Grey bottles of other milk at bed time. I am happy/sad. Most of the time I am feeling ready to get my body back, the other times I am sad to lose that time with grey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I am not thinking about weaning but both Elliot and my body are starting to cut back quite a bit. I don't know if I am overthinking it but I am starting to get worried about running out of milk on the days he wants to nurse or have a bottle more than normal. Mostly the bottle thing because I pump much less now and only have enough for 2 bottles a day while I am away from him instead of 3. Most days he will be fine but some days he is cranky about it. Should I just let him be cranky about it or maybe give him some non dairy milk instead now that he is one?
I guess I am just confused about giving kids non dairy milk after one too, if they aren't weaned. I don't know if I should be worried at this point about him missing out on nutrients

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 pm 

I've been wondering about the plant milks thing too, not because of supply/demand but just in general.

We're having all sorts of weirdness lately...some days nursing like mad and almost always nursing a lot longer, for about 3 weeks now. I don't know how much more this child can grow. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tank wrote:
I guess I am just confused about giving kids non dairy milk after one too, if they aren't weaned. I don't know if I should be worried at this point about him missing out on nutrients

I am not thinking about weaning (Will's 9 months), but I've been thinking about this lately. I'd love to hear how other out-of-the-home-working moms handle that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i should clarify, the reason i said moms who work outside of the home is i'm wondering how you handled bottles/cups/sippy cups of breastmilk after a year. i'm debating if i will continue pumping after one year and just nurse morning/night or continue to pump and give that during the day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Now that Sierra is 6 months old, I've come to a decision to do something nice for myself and just cut out the extra pumping. I have such poor production with the pump and can't ever get ahead to build up a stash, so I've come to terms with the fact that 5 days a week Sierra is probably going to get 4oz of formula while I'm at work because even though I pump 3 times during the 8 hours I'm gone, my body just does not produce more than 6oz total. Just tired of saying to myself "Hey, it's 11pm and I'd love to crawl into bed and read for an hour...oh but hell I have to pump instead, and get a measly 2oz." This started during our vacation because I was feeding her all day long so I had no time to pump anyway, except during her precious and few naps and I just refused to spend that time trying to get 2fuckingounces instead of doing whatever I wanted.
We've been home for over a week now and my supply hasn't diminished, and I seem to always have enough milk to nurse whenever I am with her, no matter how frequent, and during weekdays I'm still getting the same amount when I pump at work. And for me anyway nursing doesn't seem like a CHORE unless there is pumping involved during what I'd like to be my "downtime", so now I am much more inclined to nurse Sierra until she is at least 1 year old instead of wanting to be done already. It feels good!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Good for you, Audrey! Pumping can be such a pain in the asparagus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 113  Next