| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby Registry
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I want to talk about how much fun I am having working on my baby registry, but I didn't want to do it on Facebook where people might think I am trying to get them to buy me stuff. I thought this might be a good place to talk about it. Also, if anyone else wants to talk about baby registries, I guess we could do it here.

Anyway, I am using MyRegistry.com, which at this point I think is 1/2 cool and 1/2 a pain in the butt. I am not sure yet. I was thinking "I wish there was a website that would compile registries from a bunch of different stores into one list" and then I heard about this site on the radio. Well, it's not quite what I was looking for, but it does allow you to add items from any website, which is cool. Also, you can enter items that are not on a website, but in a physical store. The thing is, if you have an actual registry from another store, either that store has to link with it through some agreement (like Amazon or Babies R Us) or you have to just use one or the other. It also links to different stores in different ways. For example, the Babies R Us one does not show up on the registry when guests view it, it just links to my Babies R Us registry. The Amazon one does show up on the list, with a little Amazon logo, though I have had some technical problems with it showing up, which I think their tech support has resolved. Their tech support is nice in that you can live chat with someone, but it was kind of difficult to communicate with the person, it seemed like he/she was typing verbatim from a book and sometimes wasn't responding to what I was really saying, but I did get my issue resolved.

Anyway, I started building my registry and guess what! My mom already bought me some stuff! She got me some "finger puppet books" that I wanted and some baby scrubs which are super cute and some bibs and a moby carrier! I am very excited. None of the stuff has arrived yet and I wasn't expecting her to get me anything just yet because I don't even have a baby shower scheduled yet.

I still need to add clothes and I dunno what else yet to my registry.

Anyway, I am having fun.

Post subject: Re: Baby Registry
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I really enjoyed making my registry too. I put so much cool stuff on it like cute clothes and stuff but now I am slowly deleting stuff because I got SO many clothes from people. Besides letting people know what you want it is a really good way for you yourself to keep track of what you want to use and not use. I didn't get much off of my registry from people but now that I have that list I can pick and choose the things I absolutely need and get them before he arrives and keep the other stuff on there for when we need it or just have a little extra money to buy him something special.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We haven't used it much, but have an account at Wishpot.com. You can add a toolbar function and then just click to add items when you see them on any site on the 'net.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm 

I think I mentioned this in another thread but...I set up a universal registry on amazon. It was really easy to add stuff from other websites. Only thing was I had to use my real computer to add from external sites rather than my iPad. Not sure why.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Butternut wrote:
I think I mentioned this in another thread but...I set up a universal registry on amazon. It was really easy to add stuff from other websites. Only thing was I had to use my real computer to add from external sites rather than my iPad. Not sure why.

I didn't realize Amazon had such a thing! That's awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

In effort to keep my husband engaged, I went the Babies R Us route. That way it was one store to take him to and get him to look at stuff - the bigger items, anyway, like strollers and stuff. My plan is to use the registry more as my own shopping list but not necessarily to get it from there. I have no problem getting a lot of things from the baby consignment store in the area (or online, etc.). But I have already had family/co-workers insist on me having a registry, so this satisfies them. I don't plan to advertise that I have a registry, but if I'm asked then I can have an answer. All in all, I feel a bit more organized. Getting to the store and seeing things for myself helps make more sense than just seeing online. Plus, the hubs really enjoyed using the scanning gun. Guys.

I was very tempted to use one of the combo registry sites. I was nearly enrolled when I decided that I needed to make a list before registering. Having learned from my wedding registry, I didn't want to just start adding things as I ended up with a lot that wasn't put to good use. Since we think we'll be moving in about a year, I want to keep what we acquire with the baby to a minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sarah bo berra wrote:
Plus, the hubs really enjoyed using the scanning gun. Guys.

Haha. We just went to Babies R Us yesterday and my husband also enjoyed the scanning. Very funny.

Also, we saw the cutest crib sheets with monkeys on them. He got tired so we left with plans to go back later this week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:26 am 
Semen Strong

Hahaha! My husband got overwhelmed in BBRUS and BBB and found a glider and tried to fall asleep in it. He then promptly delegated all baby decisions to me. I can't blame him, because I ended up walking through with JENNA and another vegan friend and just clicking the stuff they recommended. There is so much out there and its hard to know what you really need versus what is just super-cute merchandising.

And at the end of the day, everyone from my husband's family went to Target and bought cute pink baby gear. And I now have 3 baby tubs - one hard plastic and 2 inflatable with a ton of J&J products. I think one person got something from our registry :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yah my partner is totally overwhelmed by babies r us. The first time he went with me he loved it. Mostly because he could look at all the pack n plays. For some reason he loves those things even though we still haven't found one to get. Anyway, the next 2 times we went there to actually get something he wanted out asap. I guess I feel the same way. There is so much overpriced crepe there. I just go there to get ideas of whats out there so I can try and find it on craigslist or consignment shops.

Tofulish I also didn't get much off my registry. My best friend got me 2 things off it and my boss got me the diaper bag I wanted. Everyone else ended up getting us clothes. And I also have 2 baby baths neither of which are the one I really want. One is used and one is a seat that fits in the sink that is cheap and probably really usable so not worth returning so I guess I will have to go without my expensive bucket tub.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:59 am 
Semen Strong

I totally agree with you! I've gotten so much great stuff from consignment stores - like the expensive swaddlers that are $20 each at BBB and $2 at the consignment store. Plus our consignment store is so fussy about what they accept their stuff is really like new.

The only thing that never fails to baffle me is why I cannot for the life of me find used diaps cheap. Like here; 22 BumGeniuses bought for $600 and selling for $495. I get that she only used them for a month, but seriously? That ends up being approx $20 a diap...
http://cnj.craigslist.org/bab/2608020350.html

Online they sell from Cottonbabies for $17.95 http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_inf ... Review=all

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've occasionally taken my husband into Babies R Us or Spend Spend Sproggen to look at something or whatever, and he invariably has some kind of meltdown and needs to leave within about five minutes. So, I've learned to just buy everything online.

The Amazon registry worked well enough, although the biggest problem is stuff handled by other retailers that gets shipping added or whatever, has a different return policy, and goes in and out of stock constantly. I guess I had the same problem with my (retail store) bridal registries as well with things being discontinued/out of stock, but baby products all seem to refresh around..April, maybe? It's also a little frustrating when all of a sudden your NIB baby item is suddenly obsolete or recalled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 am 

My husband has been the one pressuring me to go to Babies R Us, and other big stores like that...I get too overwhelmed. I'm seriously hoping that I can get through the whole pregnancy without going. I'm trying to keep the crepe to a minimum and I've made myself promise not to buy any clothes (baby legs don't count). Hope my friends and family come through on that!

I visited two friends that just had babies to see their set up and get a little practice with newborns. That helped a ton. As my neighbor in the elevator said the other night, "all you need is a boob, diapers, and a sling."

I did set up a crib and changing table yesterday and having that ready made me feel a little more calm. I think just walking by the room and looking at it is helping prepare me mentally for baby coming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish wrote:
I totally agree with you! I've gotten so much great stuff from consignment stores - like the expensive swaddlers that are $20 each at BBB and $2 at the consignment store. Plus our consignment store is so fussy about what they accept their stuff is really like new.

The only thing that never fails to baffle me is why I cannot for the life of me find used diaps cheap. Like here; 22 BumGeniuses bought for $600 and selling for $495. I get that she only used them for a month, but seriously? That ends up being approx $20 a diap...
http://cnj.craigslist.org/bab/2608020350.html

Online they sell from Cottonbabies for $17.95 http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_inf ... Review=all

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Tofulish (or anyone), if you are interested in what could be a really good deal on diapers, I have 28 BumGenius diapers I'm looking to unload. I can PM anyone who's interested with more details, but the short story is that about half of them have some leaking issues since we switched to a front load washer (although they've only ever been washed in Country Save or Rockin' Green), and I'm too lazy to try to strip/fix them, especially since my daughter is now almost out of diapers. Please feel free to PM me if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't know how to fix something like that. Is it easy?

Maybe post it in the CD thread for the more established CDing mommas?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I tried to make a Bb's R Us registry but their wensite was down and it wouldn't allow me to sign up. I did do a couple registry's at local stores but I don't know if anyone will actually use them. I think I am going to try and get V to come to TysRUs to the baby dept so we can look around and I am pretty sure you can do an in store registry and that way we will actually know what we can get. My only problem with using such a big store for a registry is we likely won't be getting eco friendly/sustainable items which was reallly important to me...I think that might be a little unrealistic though amongst my group of family & friends. When I told my mil about the things I wanted she made a big stink about everything being so expensive and who could afford that kind of stuff (she was referring mostly to cloth diapers) that I should really think about the people who would be buying me gifts rather than what I prefer. I get that noone wants to break the bank, and I certainly don't expect that but what is the point of making a list of things that you don't want? It's not like I am asking people to spend hundreds of dollars and I have specified that I am not against second hand items...Oi, sometimes it feels like more of a headache when ideally it should be something fun and enjoyable.

Sorry for the rant.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We had our baby shower last week! It was lots of fun. We got a bunch of stuff from our babiesrus registry. We didn't get anything from the myregistry.com registry (unless you count the things my mom got me a while back). The myregistry.com site was harder to use than i thought, especially when trying to link it to my amazon items. Their customer service seemed pretty good though. I guess i am glad i used it, if mostly for a list of stuff i want to buy. Now to figure out what i still need versus stuff i just thought would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

Bumping this up because I am new to the forum and just came across this post. There's a great registry site that I used called Babylist (babyli.st -- note that the extension is ".st" and not ".com"). It allows you to install a tool so that you can add anything from anywhere on the web. Better yet, friends/family can reserve items without having to buy them from a specific place. So, friends who had gently used items they wanted to pass along could reserve those items from our list, whereas other sites will only show the item as purchased if you actually buy it through that site.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband and i have started our registry. holy overwhemling pile of crepe!!
we have 2. my husband wanted to do mainly one on amazon and i have no problem with the idea of it but i know the reality of it is most people if they even bother to buy stuff off the registry they will just go to Babies R Us. so we went to Babies R Us today and started one there. we got some things but didnt get very far since it's insanely overwhelming and shiitake there is SO EXPENSIVE. it's worth than wedding crepe!

when i send out my shower invites i may actually put a blurb that stuff is way cheaper on amazon, maybe that will get people to look at my amazon registry :-P

anywho there was a bunch of stuff we just literally had no idea about so i need help/advice from people.

first up is breastfeeding "stuff"

i *plan* on breastfeeding but i understand that some babies dont take to it. i know my mom was unable to breast feed me because i was a mouth breather and i used to have the world's most insanely small airway (this is why i ended up having major surgery 2 years ago!) and i wouldnt take a boob. im a bit confused how a bottle worked but i keep forgetting to ask my mom.
SO first question (not really registry related but feeding related) should we get some soy formula just to have on hand in case? also where can you get soy formula? can you get it anywhere they sell formula or do you need an Rx? i aint no way no how doing milk formula.
question 2. im leaving my job so i will basically doing the stay at home mom thang. while we were at the store we were looking at storage bottles for breast milk and my husband was like "do you really need the 0-4 month bottles if you're going to be home all the time?" we registered for a pack of 4-8 (?) bottles because i figure by that time i may be leaving her for short amounts of time (might be able to do part time work for the company i currently work for). how many bottles are good to have if you are going to be predominantly breastfeeding? i dont think my husband understands the concept of needing multiples of EVERYTHING. we literally registered for 1 pack of each thing (im sure 4 burp clothes will be just fine! :-P)
is Medela a good brand? they seemed to have a large amount of Medela brand breast stuff at BRU.

now for cloth diapers we are totally lost. i scrolled through the cloth diapering thread but i still am lost and confused. i dont know what any of the terms mean. i dont know what we need or where to begin....

tub.....another thing i dont know where to begin. i just dont know what we need or dont need.

thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you are planning on breastfeeding, I would hold off on the soy formula. It is something that can be picked up from even the grocery store, so it won't be hard to get if you need it (other than the way food is hard to get because it is hard to get to the grocery store). I dunno about the bottles because every situation is so variable. I pumped a lot and needed bottles for that. I liked Avent for a while (the 4 oz bottles) until he started drinking 5 ounces and then I liked Medela - especially the breastmilk labeling lids and storage tray. I had to use bottles even though I was home the first 5 months because of the pumping.

For diapers, I thought this youtube video was helpful when I was still learning about diapers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvZG6LSWtpM

For a bathtub, I liked the puj tub when he was smaller and the whale of a tub now. Both are for use in the sink. I like not having to bend over. The whale of a tub probably would have worked the whole time, but I didn't get it until he outgrew the puj tub. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Prec ... B0018Z8CN8

For burp cloths, I felt the cute babies R us ones were worthless. I liked the diaper kind, specifically the Gerber premium, but probably any prefold would work. Also, you can get more to a package.

Hope that helps, it can sure be overwhelming when you start looking!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

You need to do what feels best for you.

I wouldn't get formula just in case if you plan to breastfeed. Stores will be open after you birth and you can get it then as needed. Medela is good - I liked having their handpump even as a SAHM and I got these Sensible Linesfor freezing milk, which were amazing bc you lose so much less than with plastic bags. We bought and got a ton of big bottles which we have never used. We used the 2oz bottles when she was a NB and then the 4oz, but its not like even now she is going to eat 8 oz. If someone fills an 8oz bottle, there is going to be a ton of wasted breastmilk.

If you plan to do cloth, I'd get 20 new born prefolds, 4 covers and a pack of snappis and register for 12 bum geniuses. The prefolds will give you a good fit and the covers will keep everything in until your baby gets big enough for the BGs. You can do more learning later and find other diaps you like, but this is a good base. Register for 2 large wet bags, cloth wipes, detergent. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.htm

I'd register for stuff at one store, return most of it and get a credit for something you'd really like. We returned stuff to Amazon and got a $400 credit that we then used for all the little things we needed along the way. You get Amazon Mom's Club, which is 6 months of Amazon Prime if you register as a new parent - and that means 2 day free shipping on everything. I wouldn't use BRU and BBB because that just means you have more stuff that you need to return to different places.

We got so many tubs and didn't use any of them. We got tons of cute towels and bath products but NBs really just need a bit of water and they can go in the tub with you.

I just think you need so much less stuff than anyone tells you. I thought we were pretty minimal, but even so, we didn't use much stuff. I particularly hate the wipe warmer that someone said we absolutely needed bc I have never used it. I never used the changing pads we got either. But again, your mileage may vary :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 pm 

I refused to register at BRU and it worked out fine. We only had the amazon registry. I went to a cloth diapering class at a crunchy baby store and that helped a lot. Something else that might not be on your radar...baby wearing. If you can find a baby wearing class, that is fun and helpful. The other day I asked my partner what, of out of all we did, was the one thing that was most helpful, and he picked the baby wearing class we went to.

Strangely enough, we didn't need burb cloths. Babynut didn't spit up hardly ever. Maybe we had four? Never used them. Anyway, I guess it pays to wait and see what you do need after baby comes.

Also, like Tofulish, we have never needed a bottle more than four ounces and babynut is 13 months old. I think the 8 ounce bottles are for formula? I really don't know.

I think amazon mom no longer has the prime benefit? I think they stopped that but it was awesome while it lasted. We earned a year free in no time and used it for everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

First off, I'd highly recommend a breastfeeding class if you feel that lost. I took one, and it was very very helpful. Reading a book is good too (I used "The Nursing Mother's Companion", and I know a lot of people like "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"), but at least for me, I remember things better from a class than a book.

Personally, I'm also against having formula on hand if you're planning to BF because I think it can be especially tempting to offer a bottle of formula when things are rough for the first week or so before your milk is fully in. We did give some formula early on to my daughter, and while we ended up successfully breastfeeding (she only had 5 or 6 bottles of formula her whole life), those bottles of formula didn't help my milk come in any faster and probably made things a bit harder for us.

Regarding bottles, for breastfed infants, you want to make sure you are using a slow flow nipple-- we never used anything faster flowing than the supposed newborn nipple (breastfed babies are used to a pretty slow flow). And yeah, small bottles are more useful. I did get some 8 oz bottles, but I don't think I ever put more than 4.5-5 oz of breastmilk in, which was the most my kid would ever take down at once, which would have fit in a 4 oz bottle anyway. Also, for the glass Dr Brown's bottles we used, the 8 oz bottles are a pain since they are so narrow and tall that they don't get clean in the dishwasher.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh yeah, and I'm a huge fan of using the sink until baby is big enough to go in the big bathtub. Our house is too small to store all the baby stuff that places like Babies R Us try to tell us that we need!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes yes yes to classes! I did Bradley, did a Nursing The Natural Way Breastfeeding class. If you are doing Bradley or have a doula ask them who to take classes from. The ones at our hospital were so expensive and the people I know who did them said they were uniformly useless.

I had a doula/IBCLC team and it was the best money I spent - having a doula in your corner is amazing and having an IBCLC help you get your baby started from the first moment and be on standby for questions was great. My team was $1000 for the pregnancy and unlimited follow-up. My friend is a trainee doula and will give you the same deal for $300.

And join La Leche League and moms groups now. Everyone LOVES to talk about their births and give advice and you'll be able to find support. Holistic Mom's Network isn't for everyone, but if you join, they'll almost always do a mealtrain for you on delivery and you can ask all your questions at their meetings or by FB. The LLL leaders are well trained and very responsive. Even with an IBCLC, I'd run stuff by the LLL leader to make sure I was getting the best advice. I belong to an awesome cloth diapering group, an amazing babywearing group, a great breastfeeding group and all of them really help me get my questions answered.

Oh and for your list, get a Moby to carry your baby in and learn how to use it. Its cheap and cozy and awesome.

And our burp cloths were useless bc Leela spit up giant amounts. We were better off using a receiving blanket, a diaper or just changing clothes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mostly the same as what everybody else said. Registering was kind a nightmare for me because I am so indecisive and really didn't know what I needed so I was really grateful when a mom friend of mine with a 1 year old sat down and basically made my registry for me! She picked each topic and then asked what I liked and if I didn't know or couldn't decide she chose what she thought was best. Worked out great. (Target registry)

I don't cloth diaper but did get one pack of (I guess what is considered a pre-fold) which we use for everything - burpcloths, washcloths, barrier between you and a bare butt, or a toy in a pinch. They are so useful for us. I remember my Dad always washed the car with our old cloth diapers and my mom used them to pack away the delicate christmas ornaments.

When I didn't get a baby bathtub at my shower I thought I would just use the sink, but being a new parent and having a floppy newborn this turned out to be too horrifying for me. So we went to the thriftstore and got one for $3. I love it. The kind that has a side for the older baby to sit up, a side for the infant to recline, and a little hammock for the newborn who you might want to give just a spongebath to. So nice!

I also think if you want to breastfeed not having formula around is a good idea. Breastfeeding was SO hard for me in the beginning that I might have really been tempted to cave there been an easy option in the cupboard. I also recommend not using a bottle at all for those recommended 6 weeks (I think it is 6 weeks). I didn't follow that rule and I think that had a lot to do with my guy deciding in the long run he liked the easy-free flow of a bottle rather than the work of breastfeeding. If I have another baby I will steer clear of bottles for as long as possible and then use only something like a Breastflow or a Medela Calma that mimic the sucking required when breastfeeding.