| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toddler UTIs and cloth diapers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

So to cap off an already shitty day (with car trouble and poor Carlito at the vet after being mauled), we had to take Leela to the E.R. today because her fever shot up to 103.5 in the space of an hour and she was listless, having trouble breathing and vomiting.

She woke up from her nap, and really wasn't acting like herself, crying and inconsolable and really whiny, so we thought we'd take her to Moe's for dinner (her favorite). On the way there, her eyes started to go glassy, she was struggling to breathe and so lethargic that I couldn't keep her awake without shaking her. So we drove to the E.R. instead. We ended up in the ER, where she became completely hysterical during the whole exam, and I had to hold her down physically while they checked her, gave her a Motrin suppository, ruled out an ear infection and then told us that although they didn't think it was a UTI they wanted to cathederize her to test for a UTI. So we decided to have her pee in her potty (she was completely unwilling to go in the toilet, so Brett had to drive home and pick up her own potty to bring her). She peed and we were really worried it wasn't going to be sterile enough, but we ended up with a good sample. It took them 90 minutes to test it, and sure enough, she has a UTI. So we are now home, after having spent 4 hours in the E.R. (which won't be covered by my insurance). We have Keflax to treat it.

So here are my questions:
(1) How do I prevent this - we have been potty learning, and she isn't even in a diaper most of the time. I am going to be stepping up my wiping, and giving her cranberry juice. Anything else?
(2) Do I need to worry about my cloth diapers?
(3) When do the abx start to work?
(4) Probiotics and other foods to take to minimize the fallout from the abx?

Also, my husband is going out of town for 4 days, during which I will have to bathe our cat's wounds, give him antibiotics and other meds and give our daughter antibiotics and I am feeling overwhelmed at the thought!

Post subject: Re: Toddler UTIs and cloth diapers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish, that must have been so scary! I think antibiotics should start working in 24hrs. And probiotics should be given after the course of meds is through. Yogurt, any fermented foods are good, and you can also break open a probiotic capsule and stir the powder into food.
I hope that L feels better soon and that you have a not-too-stressful time while Mr. T is out of town!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:33 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh my goodness, Tofulish! That sounds scary! I have no advice but hope Leela's feeling better soon and that you just keep hanging in there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:12 am 
***LIES!!!***

Antibiotics should work quickly. I would give probiotics depending on side effects. I need to take them as soon as I am on antibiotics to avoid diarrhea, so if she starts having diarrhea, I'd give them right away. They do not counteract the antibiotics, so I would not feel it necessary to wait.

I doubt it has anything to do with the cloth diapers. UTIs are supposedly pretty common in little kids. Malka has actually been tested for one like three times now (never had one), because that's what they think of first with any fever or when there are vague illness symptoms.

I am sure being careful about front to back wiping would help. Also, encourage her to void completely when she pees if you can - you could probably just have her sit on the potty longer and try to pee again after she's gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

How scary for all of you. I am so glad you were in the car, the car was working, and that you were able to get her seen (despite the insurance thing, how maddening). My daughter was often on strong antibiotics and we used to just break apart the probiotic capsules and put them in whatever liquid. not sure if it helped but it made me feel better.
many many years ago when we came to 'scope out' the US when we were thinking about moving there from japan, i stayed at my friend's house in RI. i had the most horrible reverse culture shock and was totally befuddled by the US, and managed to catch something nasty on the plane and was sick as a dog. my friend had to work and her cat had just gotten into a fight with something nasty that left a hole in his skull. the vet had put in a drain and i had to drop antibiotics into the drain, and also give the cat oral antibiotics 3x day while my friend was gone. i had to find kitty, catch kitty, wrestle him into the blanket burrito, and avoid the fangs while being unable to breathe, see, or sit upright for more than a few minutes. it might have been the longest long weekend of my life....
Hang in there. someday you'll laugh about this. you just have to survive til then!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:50 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

One thing that may help (Shorty was really prone to them ) is making sure she goes potty in a timely manner. No holding it in if you can help it.

And a warning... the antibiotics could give her a bit of a yeast infection. Yeah... things they forget to tell you. That you learn the hard way, after much panic.

Some internet hugs to you and Leela.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Man what a crazy asparagus day! So sorry my friend! Is there anyway Brett can stay home with you? That's a lot for you to go through and do by yourself.

Perhaps give all your cloth diapers a nice HOT wash for those times Leela does wear them. I think it's common for kids who are potty training to pick up a UTI here and there. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to avoid it. I agree with kfad and try not to let her hold it in.

Did the ER offer to put a special bag on her to catch the pee? I'm not sure Leela would have allowed it though :) but when Miles was younger they needed a pee sample and attached this bag to him to catch it and do a culture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

JENNA wrote:
Man what a crazy asparagus day! So sorry my friend! Is there anyway Brett can stay home with you? That's a lot for you to go through and do by yourself.

Perhaps give all your cloth diapers a nice HOT wash for those times Leela does wear them. I think it's common for kids who are potty training to pick up a UTI here and there. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do to avoid it. I agree with kfad and try not to let her hold it in.

Did the ER offer to put a special bag on her to catch the pee? I'm not sure Leela would have allowed it though :) but when Miles was younger they needed a pee sample and attached this bag to him to catch it and do a culture.

Yes, the bag! And I just remembered once when they checked my toddler's urine they had a container that fit right into the opening of the toilet to catch it. Just something people might be able to ask for in this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:12 pm 
Semen Strong

We were at St. Joseph's in Paterson, and they didn't offer us a bag. They went right to "we need to give her a catheder" and assured us that "its not traumatic at all for the kids! They forget about it right away!" Which is just not true for Leela - she was flipping out and I had to practically sit on her to get the ear scope in. There was no way in Hell that a catheder was going to not be traumatic. They even told us it would be two nurses - each holding down one leg while another nurse inserted a tube into her urethra. Which sounds terribly invasive. I read on the Sears site that he recommends the bags, so I asked about them and they said they didn't have anything and our options were she pees in a sterile container or they give her a catheder. They told us we couldn't just have her pee in the potty and use that because it wasn't sterile.

Leela is potty trained for the most part, so we were trying to get her to pee into this little sterile container and it just wasn't happening. Then I looked up the urine test, and it was clear they were just looking for the presence of blood, leukocytes and nitrates in her urine, so really it should be fine to use urine from a clean potty. So we scrubbed her potty down and we had her pee in the potty, and tipped it into the sterile jar, problem solved. We figured if it came back as contaminated, then we could re-evaluate but it was worth a shot to avoid the catheder.

I think it is really useful for parents to know what their options are for urine samples and blood draws, because MDs may offer you the most accurate one but a less invasive one may be better for your child. Like the lead tests we've discussed ad nauseum :)

It was absolutely terrifying being in the car with Leela when she was going downhill. It was just so fast. And she was so lethargic and sweet - normally she is singing or talking up a storm and she just wanted to hold my hand and drift off to sleep,while struggling to breathe. It was adorable and terrifying at the same time.

And she is back to being her happy little self today. We stayed home for most of it, just to see if her fever would spike etc, and it hasn't (so no Motrin for her) and the Keflax seems to be working well. She and Carlito both get cold pink abx from the fridge, so we had her take hers to show Carlito that it wasn't scary, and then we gave him his. He is so weak, he didn't even struggle. The same cannot be said of Leela. I fed her tempeh today and some of our local friends are bringing us fermented cabbage and other foods, which is so sweet. And we're going to give her probiotics as well. The consensus on the cloth diaps seem to be that it isn't an issue unless she has multiple UTIs. I am being a lot more careful in washing her after she pees. She seems to be very complete in voiding her bladder and bowels, and will sit on the potty for ages asking us to read book after book after book. We keep asking if she has an owie in her vulva and she says no.

Thanks for the advice and kind support! <3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Glad she is feeling better!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Glad Leela is feeling better! So sad and scary when they are sick!

I've watched my niece have catheters put in a few times after the years (after seizures) and it is horrific. She did forget about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So sorry about what a stressful day Leela and all of you had. I am glad she is feeling better. The rest of your questions seem to be very well answered from the knowledgeable PPK set. I just want to applaud you for standing your ground and going for the least invasive option. I hope things return to "normal" soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am really amazed they didn't have pee bags for you to use. That's all we've been offered when we tested Malka for a uti at the doc's office and at the ER. Nobody has ever suggested a catheter. At the ER we couldn't get a sample, but she had RSV anyway and we all knew that, so I think they were just covering their asparagi. At the doc's she peed and pooped at the same time, so the sample was no good anyway. But still, that was always step one. I think we still have a leftover pee bag our doctor sent us home with to get another sample (but she so didn't have a uti and it just seemed like torture, so we never bothered using it).