| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

refinnej wrote:
As a 1970s Jennifer, I fully support the choice of unusual names. :p

I'm also a 1970's Jennifer. I named my daughter Reno for a reason. :) In fact almost every Jennifer I know has given their kids uncommon names.

I know feel bad for all of her friends named Madison, yes she has a few friends named Madison. It's her generations Jennifer. Some of them are already going by their middle names.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

. . . . Hahaha. My mom is a 70s Jennifer and named me Madison. To be fair, it wasn't that common in 1990 when I was born. (:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

A lot of Plum Organics squeeze pouches just got recalled…

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/163960/ ... ecall_what

Don't read the comments, sanctimommies are out in force! This is V's favorite brand so I'm lucky to be out of them! But I hope they're not off the shelves for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The kid just accidentally put herself to sleep. This has now happened I think three times, but I have no idea what conditions make it happen, because the same actions other times cause hysteria. Whatever, it's good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Eli did that yesterday... he just laid down and passed out next to me on our bed while I was watching Call The Midwife. Hmm... I think our kiddos are on to something

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Leaving to go to the park today, I must've said "turn around" to Freya 937 times.

On the way home on the bus, she says to me "clips of the heart....want to watch clips of the heart".

You can guess what transpired in between those events. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Any ideas for teaching a 17 month old not to scream at the top of her lungs when she doesn't get what she wants? She gets excited by the sound of her own voice so she also sometimes just screams for fun. We just need her to understand that we're a quiet family! Ha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Saw this earlier today. Is this for real?
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/11/pa ... -ritz.html

ETA: obvs it is not a nationwide thing, it says right there it's a Manitoba thing. Still, whut?
Ex2TA: also, don't read the comments. Just don't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh my God, Annak. I love that blog, thanks for reminding me about it! I already pre-ordered his book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ritz crackers are a grain? lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

LisaPunk wrote:
ritz crackers are a grain? lol

yep, in the public school system here, Goldfish crackers are also a "grain".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 pm 

Yeah, I read that earlier too, on HuffPo, I think. It seemed too stupid to be made up. :p Seriously though, what is this lunch police thing that is going on there, anyway? Would my vegan kid get knocked for not having "meat" and "milk". And they can *fine* the parents? Geez o pete.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've liked some of the commentary I've read on that subject - how are you going to blame a daycare worker for enforcing a governmental policy (which might be a fairly important policy to have in place for kids who are being chronically undernourished), when it's not like those daycare workers have any special nutrition training?

How long does the toddler-pretending-to-be-a-baby thing last? I am feeling done with it already. I am happy to have Malka invested in being carried again, that's lovely, but the crawling instead of walking and talking in nonsense words is really getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:16 pm 

Holy cow, baby fever all of the sudden! I don't know if this is related to Freya's birthday or what, but Mr. refinnej better keep it in his pants for a couple of days. :p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

sooo I just got contacted regarding parent-teacher conferences at D's school. First of all, whoa! I mean, I'm obviously an adult and have 2 kids but somehow I never expected to be the "parent" at one of these things! Secondly, I don't know what to talk about for 30 minutes with her teacher...I don't want to seem uninterested or dumb or something, but D is 4 years old and only in school 2 hours a day with 17 other kids in the classroom - how much insight will I be getting into my daughter? Still I suppose it will be interesting to get an outsider's perspective, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That's great that you get 30 minutes. I only get 15 at Re's school and it's not enough time.

Ask how she is doing socially, if she participates in class, is she struggling with any specific activities, if there is anything you can do with her at home to help her with those activities and also the reverse if she is thriving at something and what you can do help her continue with it.

I'm sure the teacher will show you some of her artwork and tell you a lot of things. Teachers tend to talk though most of it anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh that's exactly the stuff I wanted to hear, Jenna, thanks! Especially about the teacher doing most of the talking.
I am interested in the social thing especially because there are these other little girls there that, from what I hear, "fight" over which one is D's friend daily. It sounds cute but also troubling that D doesn't really make any choices; according to Howard she just kinda stands there and lets them pull her about. On one hand we've explained to her that she needs to be polite and kind to others so it's good that she's not being rude or exclusionary, but on the other hand it seems sorta doormat-y, like do these kids just want to be with her because she lets them boss her around? Considering the way she bosses her little sister around I can't imagine that, but her behavior is probably very different at school.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela and I have had a really lovely week. She's been sick and/or contagious, so we haven't had any playdates or plans, which means that I'm never struggling to go anywhere or do anything. We just go at her pace and hang out and have fun and its been blissful and fun. She is almost out of the contagious period, but I think I am going to plan fewer playdates etc. I had tried to have at least one fun thing to do a day, but I really don't miss 30 minutes of her saying she doesn't want to go and refusing to get dressed and then 30 minutes of her refusing to go home that seems to accompany taking her anywhere :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I hope she's feeling better soon!! The changing state struggle is so annoying! I feel like our days go better if Vi has a chance to get out and run around, but it always seems to have such a painful ending.

I think I finally got it to sink in, more or less, to my husband that taking Vi up to our bed when she wakes up in the middle of the night is not a good solution, and thus I slept blissfully until 6am. It was awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

refinnej wrote:
Holy cow, baby fever all of the sudden! I don't know if this is related to Freya's birthday or what, but Mr. refinnej better keep it in his pants for a couple of days. :p

The same here refinnej! My husband also! I never thought of having a third but we've been talking about it lately which is weird to me. It also isn't helping that 3 friends of our have had babies these past 6 months. I told him I won't decide anything for another 6 months. :) I might start working soon and I don't now if I want to go through the whole baby/nursing all day stage again/more diapers..etc.. Reno is dying for a "second sister".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yep it would be the worst idea ever for us but every time I see a small baby part of me freaks out with wanting one! Sierra is still tiny but she's so grown-up in other ways hahaha. Other than H saying "no freaking way" the only thing that grounds me from this flight of fancy is the thought of a 3rd c-section (and it would have to be one after what happened last time). With no offense to anyone who's had a 3rd, I say "no freakin way" to that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Heh. My mother's 3rd C-section was her only planned one. She said it was her best birth because she knew what she was going in for and could ask for things she wanted related to the surgery (like a mirror to be installed in the operating room so she could watch the delivery). She was pregnant 6 times, though :p Things I don't recommend.

All the gooey thoughts about babies are not working on me these days because Malka has decided recently that she's my baby who needs to be carried in a baby carrier and that's pretty much fulfilling my need for a snuggly newborn at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I would most likely have a c-section also which is making me think that the 2 kids I have is perfect. :) Both of my births were induced and Miles ended up being a c-section. I never came anywhere close to going into labor myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I only have the one so far, so I guess the baby fever around here is to be expected, but geez, I help out with a local babywearing group and there were so many newborns there yesterday, I was melting all over the place!
Meanwhile, my 11 month old was on the other side of the room riffling through people's handbags and had stolen herself a camera, two sets of car keys, and an apple...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:50 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Haha OWWW, I remember that phase well! I used to curse people who would bring in cell phones and purses on to the floor of baby gym. It does pass though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 92  Next