| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im really sorry lobster :-(

((((((hugs)))))

i know it's an incredibly hard transition
it's an abrupt change for her that she cant understand but im sure she will get used to it and will end up loving it. i know right now it just probably feels awful :-(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Starting daycare is hard but I firmly believe good daycares are great things for kids and I've never met a kid who didn't adjust fairly quickly. Screaming at drop-off in the beginning is normal, I bet she calms down the moment you leave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I understand the feeling Lobster! EVERY mom I know personally is a stay at home and sometimes I feel jealous that I am missing out or that the kids are missing out. I will say that Giles started out sobbing and not eating at his class to loving it and asking to go! It wasn't overnight, but I think all big transitions, even the really good ones are hard. I hope you and baby lobster can spend some extra time on the evenings and weekends reconnecting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I hope things get better soon. It's hard going back to work when it's not where you want to be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks everyone. It is painful that her and I just want to be together but we can't and I have to put her through that distress every day. I don't like that I'm becoming so bitter.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:23 am 
Semen Strong

So many hugs to you and baby lobster <3

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:17 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh lobster it's hard isn't it. I went back 4 days a week in Jan and A went to nursery 3 days a week in June. I miss her all day but it got easier for us both and now she loves it and I am grateful for the change. How long did your settle her for and is there anyway you can phase in to full time over a few weeks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we went to our first princess party today and it wasnt quite as horrifying as i expected but it was crazy overwhelming. there was 80000000000 kids there mostly dressed in princess dresses. some of the boys were wearing variations on prince outfits. BP was looking at everyone dressed up like "what the fizzle is this mess?" the idea of changing clothes for enjoyment is foreign to her. my mom made her a stego halloween costume last year and she wont even wear that.

she actually did pretty good after the first half hour or so. she mainly wanted to go outside where some of the boys were and play with a ball and then later play with some blocks. i was SO concerned with how she would do in terms of being around so many kids and the princesses they hired for the party and all the dress up that i kind of forgot there would be nothing for her to eat.

why is dairy so pervasive in kids food? holy crepe.
they put out some of those gogurt things (yogurt)
then they had the obvious cake, Hoodsie cups*, and i saw some push pops and was like "oh i think those are similar to a popsicle"
nope they have milk in them

she and my husband shared a piece of cake as i decided long ago i was ok with her having the occasional regular non vegan baked good. but damn so much milk in everything.

*i think i realized recently Hoodsie cups are a New England thing? it's little cups of ice cream. half is vanilla and half is chocolate. i dont know if they still do this but you used to have to eat it with a little wooden stick that came with it that felt like putting really dry cardboard in your mouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I though there was a law saying that children's birthday parties must include fruit and hummus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i did see people wandering around with some fruit after we got there and i located the source and it was almost empty by the time we got there and it was too early for BP to be comfortable eating anything.

there was strangely no hummus! i was surprised. they had guacamole and BP likes avocado but it had chunks of tomato and onion in it and she hates PIECES. so yeah her eating issues are another problem.......

it's nice that the little friend we made through EI Food Group is from a vegetarian family. his mom is a vegan and i think he is also predominantly vegan so when we went to his party the cake was vegan and they had gotten pizza with no cheese. SO NICE TO BE ABLE TO EAT!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ada started kindergarten this week and I just heard the morning announcements. They did the pledge of allegiance. I kind of forgot that that's still a thing and I find it really bizarre that it is still a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

but we're making america great again..........or something

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 pm 

I've never heard/seen people actually reciting the pledge of allegiance in real life. I've just seen it in movies! Now that I think about little kindergarteners standing around and saying the words it seems a little bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That is super weird! I am anticipating all sorts of weirdness in public school next year. For now we're loving our hippie heathen preschool world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I pledged allegiance to the American Flag every morning while I went to Public School (which was all elementary). I didn't realize they didn't do that regularly in all schools? When I went to a Christian school in Jr. High We pledged to the American Flag, the Christian Flag, and even had a daily special pledge for the Bible. Betcha didn't know there WAS a pledge for the Bible did you!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wow, I didn't know there was a Bible pledge! We had to say The Pledge (I grew up in Ohio) every day in school. Once we were in high school, we were allowed to not say it, but still had to stand while it was recited over the PA system. It seemed normal at the time, but seems really weird to me now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i went to public school k-12 and we said the pledge every morning. i dont remember when it started (ie i have no idea if we did it in kindergarten or not) but i definitely remember doing it in later grades.

in high school i was all like "pfft you cant MAKE ME say the pledge man!!!" and they made us stand up out of respect but didnt force us to say the words.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:25 pm 
Total Hoover

annasrobbie wrote:
I pledged allegiance to the American Flag every morning while I went to Public School (which was all elementary). I didn't realize they didn't do that regularly in all schools? When I went to a Christian school in Jr. High We pledged to the American Flag, the Christian Flag, and even had a daily special pledge for the Bible. Betcha didn't know there WAS a pledge for the Bible did you!!!

I didn't even know there was a Christian flag! In fact the existence of a pledge to the Bible surprises me less.

We don't have pledges in schools here but we had a class trip to a Catholic school and they started the day with a prayer and that felt odd.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Civics is one of the big things the idea of public school was founded on, I would be surprised to not have the pledge in schools. I started elementary school in a private religious school and we lined up in forms outside every morning, said the pledge, sang "God Bless America," and then sang the Israeli national anthem. I have a lot of fond memories of that ritual.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I spent part of my last year of high school in Alabama.

Let me tell you the shock and extreme discomfort the first morning when everyone stood up to take the pledge and I just sat there. I stared at them and they stared at me and no one knew what to do.

It was a smallish private school and I was only in the US as a "visitor" so I ended up being allowed to just sit it out. I was surprised I wasn't expected to at least stand during it, actually, since they were pretty hard nosed about a lot of stuff there. There was also a morning prayer. I don't know which part was more uncomfortable for me in the long run.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I also said the pledge all through school but I guess never gave much thought to it. Now as an adult with a kid saying it it just seems weird. Especially since they are reciting this thing without explanation. And the whole God thing just makes me super uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i went away this past weekend with some friends to the west coast for some concerts. it was the first time i have spent time away from BP since she was born (she's just over 3 now)
and it was AWESOME. at the beginning of the summer when i booked and planned this whole trip i was basically panicked over it and thought she would cry for 3 days straight while i was gone but by the time it actually came around so much had happened over the summer that i was fine with leaving her. i think she just matured, and cutting way back on nursing helped. stopping nursing in the morning i think was the biggest thing that helped. she seemed fine with the idea of me leaving.

anyways apparently she did great all weekend with my husband. he said she got upset the first night i was gone but they looked at pictures of me then she was ok. he said she was really good for him and really barely any screaming. for me she screams ALL.THE.DAMN.TIME.

so im really glad they had a good weekend and he didnt have to deal with 1000 meltdowns and constant screaming but ever since i got home she has gone right back to screamfest.

WHY DO I ALL GET ALL THE SCREAMING

today's meltdowns:

*this morning she wanted to get up but wanted me to carry her from the bed to the living room which is fine but she was yelling that at me and i told her i wasnt going to do it til she stopped screaming at me. cue more louder screaming
*full on meltdown including tears because her hair was in her face (please note she will not let me put it up in a ponytail or pigtails)
*screaming because she didnt want to move her dinos out of the living room so i could vacuum
*i decided we would paint a water/tree scene on the train table we got for free to encourage putting her dinos on it instead of sprayed all over my house and THEN i could clean the living room. she liked this idea but did not like having to wait so screamed and cried the entire time i was washing off the boards that make up the flat part of the table and kept yelling at me it was dry when it wasnt
*more screaming when i started painting, im still not sure what it was about.
*some mild yelling when i said we had to wait for the paint to dry before putting dinos on the table
*bucketloads of tears and freaking out when i told her the teachers from her school are coming to see her tomorrow morning. basically inconsolable.
*more screaming as im trying to figure out what dino video she wanted to watch to calm her down from the above school related freakout
*more screaming because she wanted to watch a video we're not sure exists (we think she wants videos of what she thinks she wants to watch, like hey i have this great idea for a video i want to see so go find it mom!)
* got her out of the house to go to the grocery store. got to the grocery store and she said she wanted to wait to get out of the car til the song we were listening to was finished (this is her new thing). usually i am fine with this since it's my music we're listening to but this song had literally just started so i said no and then she started shrieking like i was trying to kidnap her and tried to fight me getting her out of the carseat and shrieked all the way into the grocery store like i was beating her til i let her look at pictures on my phone to distract her.
*more tears when we got home because she didnt want to walk into the house. she literally just stood in the garage and said her legs wouldnt work. i mean fine whatever ill carry you and my 6 heavy bags of groceries!!!

SO.MUCH.SCREAMING.

and apparently almost no screaming for my husband this past weekend.

WHHHHHYYYYYYYYY WHHHHYYYY WHHHHHHYYY

i hate to even complain because it was so awesome to have the break and be able to do it but damn. why do i get all the screaming?!?!?!?

i know it's totally normal for the primary caretaker to be the one constantly shiitake on but damn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I forgot the screaming in the grocery store because she didn't want me to pay (this is a thing with her for some reason)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:25 am 

I don't have any advice about the screaming, but I am glad that you enjoyed your weekend away! I was jealous of all of your IG pics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:06 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah the trip went AWESOME so i kinda feel like i shouldnt even complain about the ensuing after math.
there were so many ways this trip could have gone horribly wrong and it all went really smoothly, we had a ton of fun, didnt crash our rental car or get lost, etc.

i feel so incredibly lucky i was even able to do it both in a scheduling/child care sense and also a financial sense and i feel sooooo insanely happy she did so well for so long without me but damn child. please stop the screaming!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115  Next