| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

choirqueer wrote:
Obviously a YouTube video isn't going to fix this but maybe seeing this would make him feel a little better? It's a rap song by a guy (maybe in his 20s?) about how he had seizures in 7th grade too and now he's an awesome rapper/slam poet.

Ha! Shae loves Watsky! I had no idea he had seizures, I'll show him. Thanks, CQ.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm not sure where to post this, but I made a milk donation! Thanks, poopie, for sharing "Human Milk 4 Human Babies." I found two women in my area... I gave a woman with a 5-month old 75 oz and another with a 6-month old 120 oz. It makes me so happy and I have some freezer space again!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 am 
And you never will.

That makes me so happy! I love seeing mamas support each other in any way they can - you are AWESOME for helping those women out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's awesome kdub!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I haven't had a period in months because of the birth control I'm on. It occurred to me that I would have no idea if I got pregnant and the lack of period was making me increasingly paranoid, so i bought a bunch of pregnancy tests, walked into a restaurant, went to the bathroom and took one. I'm not pregnant, I feel much better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have been super paranoid too and haven't been wanting to have sex because of it. I told Nate we have to start using condoms as well as birth control.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 pm 
And you never will.

Nothin' like having a baby to make you terrified of getting pregnant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

poopiebitch wrote:

Truth. I mean, I would maybe be ok eventually having a baby, but it took nine months before it got really good and I want to hang onto this time for a while!

Oh, and guys, I can see a tooth under his gums! So exciting!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

poopiebitch wrote:

Ha ha ha, no kidding. I think I spent most of the Emperor's first year of life being convinced (and horrified) that I was pregnant again, despite the fact that we had close to 0 sex. (Sad truth: we have had sex more in the first 3 months of the Magician's life than we did in the entire first year of the Emperor's.)

Ariann, I used to keep a stash of Dollar Tree tests in my underwear drawer especially for paranoia pregnancy testing. Glad you got the result you wanted.

Oh jeeeeeez guys, that reminds me: I've recently started using a messenger bag that I used in grad school but rarely have use for since I parted ways with academia again. It has a little zipper mesh pocket thingy on the inside that I generally keep pens in. Guess what I found on the first day of the class I'm taking when I went to get out a pen? The (Dollar Tree) pregnancy test I took that told me to expect the Magician. Just hangin' out. (Still showing a positive result.) Dryin'. In my bag. A year later. Yuck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

What kind of bubble bath do you all use?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

What do you guys use to clean baby's hands when out and about? We are at the stage when her hands are constantly in her mouth. I don't really want her putting purel or other chemicals in her mouth but soap and water aren't practical when we are on the go. Maybe I am over thinking it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 pm 
And you never will.

Butternut - I just use a (cloth, wet with just water) wipe and hope for the best! Sorry, not much help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 pm 
Married to the wolfman

For bubble bath, I really like this stuff: http://www.everydayshea.com/store/pc/vi ... category=6

Sometimes I use a small portion of a Lush bubble bar for the kid too. What can I say, my kid is kinda spoiled re: baths.

About cleaning hands out and about: I used to carry a small water bottle primarily for rinsing his hands with. But I also really just didn't worry about it too much.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i wish my mum used lush bubble bars for my baths when i was growing up!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Butternut wrote:
What do you guys use to clean baby's hands when out and about? We are at the stage when her hands are constantly in her mouth. I don't really want her putting purel or other chemicals in her mouth but soap and water aren't practical when we are on the go. Maybe I am over thinking it.

I use wipes and cleanwell sanitizer. Clean well doesn't have alcohol and has less gross ingredients. I probably wouldn't put it on a handsucking baby though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm just going to keep doing what we have been doing: washing with soap as soon as we get home. I'm not a germaphobe, but it makes we nervous when we are at a restaurant and she is touching the table and everything. Maybe I need to relax.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

butternut, i don't know if this is helpful, but i figure in general, my child is pretty healthy and has a strong immune system, so all that hand sucking is a great way for him to get a little exposure to germs and grubbies and build up his system. However, i will use a wet wipe (i sometime buy the store kind or put some of hte flannels i use to clean his butt with in the container with enough water to wet them, and wipe him down.

And an aside, i usually end up buying the wet wipes whenever i have a chocolate stain in something- they can get anything out of clothing!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Butternut wrote:

I don't do anything. I am probably a terrible parent.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Butternut wrote:

I don't do anything. I am probably a terrible parent.

Same here. Greys hands get washed when he gets a bath. He is super congested right now, maybe I should wash his hands more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just use a wet cloth wipe if her hands get reallllly disgusting. Like when she finds a pile of dirt at the playgroup and starts throwing it in the air. But even then I wait until we are ready to leave because they're just going to get dirty again anyway. She has eaten her fair share of dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

I've used babyganics hand sanitizer occasionally on her if she, say, sticks her hand into a crap-filled diaper. I keep a thing of it by the changing table for those times when she's crawling away and making a mess and needs new clothes and etc. before I get a chance to wash my hands. I don't know exactly what's in it and don't worry too much about it but it's alcohol-free at least. They also make individual wipes and a mini sanitizer bottle (I keep the mini in my purse for emergencies on the go). Veganity unknown - I am bad about looking up ingredients in personal care stuff.

Other than that, yeah, mostly I just wipe with water.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't know where this belongs, so playground randomness seems appropriate...

Today I stopped by the Family Dollar by my house to get a cheapo non-slotted spatula to clean my litter box, as just the slotted one I bought at the pet store is not enough on its own. While I was in there, there was a family with a young boy (maybe 6?) who seemed overly tired...he was acting extremely silly and goofy/kind of disruptive while I was looking at spatulas, and then started totally bawling while his parents were in front of me in line, paying. Whatever, I get crabby when I'm tired too.

So this old man comes up behind me in line and ALSO STARTS SCREAMING! Like, mimicking the cries of this boy. I almost told him off right there, and was totally thinking, "look, dude, one kid's screaming is enough, do i really need you doing this too, and right in my ear?" but i was kind of curious how long he'd keep it up, and also thought maybe he was trying to shock/amuse this boy out of his fit?

No. Then he says (not directly to the boy, or to his parents, just to the world in their general direction) "Shut up."

Then he saw my spatula and asked what I was using it for, tried to talk me out of it, when I told him I was using it for scooping the litterbox he told me I should just get a slotted kind, WOULD NOT MIND HIS OWN GODDAMN BUSINESS. Anyway, I said something kind of snippy about his reaction to the kid and how he doesn't know anything about their family while the family was on their way out.

Then as I was paying I was like, "Look, I'm sorry I was short with you but I'm sure those parents don't want to listen to their kid crying any more than you do, and I'm sure they feel bad enough already without your comments about their parenting."

Crotchety man: "It's not about them feeling bad, it's about disciplining their kid. You gotta tell them when to knock it off. It's like when you go into a restaurant-"

Me (totally cutting him off): "Yeah, I'm sure he really negatively impacted your family dollar experience."

I think maybe I've officially made it into crotchety old lady territory. Anyway, it felt totally good to tell off this judgmental man and I thought PPKparents might appreciate non-child-havers standing up for people minding their own forking businesses about other people's kids.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:56 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

bubble bath: Kai has pretty sensitive skin, so we use california baby super sensitive shampoo and body wash. If you put a few pumps in the tub in as you fill it makes lots of bubbles. I also put baking soda in because supposedly that helps reduce diaper rash. I don't know what it is, but baking soda must taste really good because my dog is constantly coming in and trying to drink the bath water and lick Kai when he's in the tub!!

washing hands: I have also just used a washcloth with water, or a baby wipe in a pinch. But I do carry some anti-bacterial wipes for when we go to restaurants, and use that to wipe down the high chair/table before he sits in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I generally don't use sanitizer or wipes due to sheer laziness (I'm terrible at packing a diaper bag, so I try to minimize the things I have to carry with me). I try to wash Lydia's hands when we get home from running around or before eating, but that doesn't always happen. I use unscented dr bronners diluted in a foaming dispenser at home, but when we're out, I don't worry about using whatever soap is available.

I have used regular alcohol-containing sanitizing wipes on occasion though. I had no idea that this could be a problem. Anyone know why alcohol sanitizing stuff is bad? I thought that alcohol sanitizers were the only ones that actually work.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

H just popped off my boob, stuck his thumb in his mouth, gave it a few sucks, then went back for the boob. Milk with a grubby thumb chaser?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 115  Next