| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:39 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am going to miss the playground. I started a new job today where the internet is most definitely monitored. So no more surfing all day for me. It was rough today - I was in ppk withdrawal!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I feel you aubade! Hope your withdrawal carries minimal symptoms (and that the job is awesome otherwise)!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:17 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Aubade, I doubt the PPK uses enough bandwidth to draw much attention to yourself. Depending on how many people they monitor, as long as you don't have too much outgoing or incoming traffic you should probably be fine. I don't know how they do it where you work, but I monitor network usage and I would know if I was on the list and I don't even show up on the top 500 users.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Well, dragonsister, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty positive they monitor more than bandwith. Yesterday I was told to share my outlook calendar with certain people, which I'd never done before. So I looked it up in microsoft help and clicked on a topic related to calendar sharing, and instead of the video up popped a big box that said YOU HAVE REACHED AN UNATHORIZED SITE, blah blah blah. In today's training I brought it up, and they said yep, apparently even microsoft is unauthorized and whatever I did was logged. I just asked my computer geek husband, and he says it is easy for them to do things like get a list of everywhere each employee visited and give it to their managers, so I'm not taking any chances.

I can still go on my iphone, but i'm in a cube. Yesterday I was a good girl and stayed off it even though on my first day I had nothing to do. Then at the end of the day I went on it for a minute just to log my lunch into the Weight Watchers app. Of course, that's the moment my supervisor walks into my cube. Ugh!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oi. I just read that Maurice Sendak died a couple of days ago. How I love his books, and can't wait to share them with Freya. Baby G and I must've read In the Night Kitchen 3,000 times in her 4 year old life. :) I heard an interview with him earlier this year, where he seemed so very lonely, nearing the end of his long life. May he indeed rest in peace:
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152286125 ... ice-sendak

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Aubade wrote:
I am going to miss the playground. I started a new job today where the internet is most definitely monitored. So no more surfing all day for me. It was rough today - I was in ppk withdrawal!

My work filters social networking sites and forums, but somehow doesn't notice ppk as a forum. Hmm. Thank goodness we don't have enough money for monitoring. I only ppk while I'm pumping. I tried to work at first while pumping, but whatever, sometimes you need a break!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I put Malka on the floor with a plate of cheerios. I look over and she has picked up the plate, knocked off the o's, and is trying to eat the plate. So I start laughing, which startles her and she opens her mouth and out spill 6 unchewed o's.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

my husband just said he's "sick of the vegan thing" - what the fizzle is that? they had gardein strips for dinner and at dance class livi said something about eating fake chicken strips and the husband said the kids looked at her weird and she looked like she was going to cry. that may be true but it's also true that he totally imagines looks to be what he wants.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, I am so sorry. It sucks that he is pulling Livi into it and making you feel like you're hurting your child.

If it makes you feel any better, my husband was convinced that people were laughing at our 2003 Toyota Corolla, and he tried to explain why we need an SUV. (They weren't laughing at our car).

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

A) why would kids look at Livi funny for that - seriously kids seem to take any new information in stride and b) what's wrong with corollas?

Boys are weird.

I am kind of amazed at how all the other moms at music class drive SUVs and the only car we own is a ford focus and none of those moms gets a paycheck. How do other people have so much money or the appearance of so much money?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Its not that hard to get a car loan and the terms are really good! Most people can afford an extra two hundred dollars a month, and I think many American are comfortable with debt, because we have mortgages, student loans and credit card debt, so at some point a few hundred dollars doesn't seem like much. I'd rather save the money and keep our Corolla. But then we didn't have a wedding and paid off our house instead, so we are manifestly weird

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:26 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

tofulish, your husband must extra hate the corolla - will hates it and pouts when he's in it because it's too small for him and he's "only" 6'.

and yeah, like if the pug is staring at him (because she does) he insists she's staring because she's mad/sad/worried because blah/blah/blah, when really, she's just sitting there.

ariann, right? plus i asked her and she said it was fine. also, i'm in a military town which mostly consists of working husbands with stay at home wives and even the people who are a lower rank than my husband have way nicer cars than us (he has a jeep wrangler and I have a 3 year old corolla). who knows man, who knows.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So we are in the process of joining a babysitting coop in our neighborhood. We haven't left Ada with anyone and we figured it would be nice to have people close by to watch her if I need a break during the day or we want to finally have a date night. And most of the kids are the same age as Ada and we already know a few of them. I am now starting to get nervous about food. We met with two people this morning and Ada grabbed a sippy cup filled with cow's milk and put it in her mouth. I don't think she actually took a sip. And then she tried to grab a graham cracker from an older kid. We're also not giving her gluten so that's a worry too. Usually when we hang out with friends I'm obviously there to keep a close eye but even that's getting hard now that the babies are all eating each other's food. I don't want to not join the coop because I think it's a really great idea but I don't know how careful everyone is going to be.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't know how understanding people are where you live, but I think if I left Grey with anyone and left food for him they would only give him that food. Just remind the people of her restrictions. Also, if you pose it as an allergy people will make sure she doesn't eat things she shouldn't!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think people will be extra on guard if you say there are health issues involved. BUT on the other hand, I think the reality is that kids will eat other kids' food, grab their bottles/cups and drink, etc. That's going to be true if Ada is with other kids at all before she learns social skills (i.e. don't grab other people's food) and before she learns what food she's supposed to eat (I know third graders with allergies who still don't know to turn down food they're allergic to). I think you have to decide how freaked out you're going to be about it because that's going to determine how you make choices about where Ada can be and who she can spend time with. If Malka eats a cheerio(TM) at someone else's house because people don't get that the fako vegan cheerios we pack for her are the only cheerios she's supposed to have, I mean, how freaked out can I really get about that? Stuff happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'd present it as an allergy. Or, "he's vegetarian AND has a dairy/gluten/whatever allergy.". Or even just write a little list of things she doesn't eat on the same sheet you'll put your emergency contact info on.

It might also be helpful to share some ideas on what she DOES eat... We had baby sitters at one point who were just totally flummoxed by what one might feed a vegan child. They heard no meat no cheese and I think their brains just kinda panicked. When I showed them a list of his favorite snacks they were like oooooh yeah okay.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:10 pm 

Ditto to the "what they do eat" list. This was immensely helpful when I worked in childcare situations with kids on special diets. Babysitting co-op sounds cool. I think the man and I are going to have our first time away from Freya together when we're on holiday in August (where she can stay with my sisters/parents). I still don't know that I'm going to be able to do it. Eek!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm 

Riding on a bus with an infant adds a whole set of interesting encounters to my week....

- Lady who lectures me upon seeing Freya fidget with her sunglasses, telling me that she's going to get vitamin D deficiency and "don't you know" that kids are getting rickets...yada yada. (Freya has been out in any available sunshine and takes a D supplement every day)

- Other lady (who admittedly is a bit off) who we've encountered at least four times, who continually tells me how big her baby is. Yesterday, she asked how old F is. When I said she was 5 months (the same as her child who Freya could squash like a bug), she suddenly changed her mind and decided to tell me how he started crawling at four months and "isn't your baby crawling yet?" Sigh.

- Today, Freya, who's just getting into that whole stranger-danger phase, absolutely fell in love with this lady on the bus with dark glasses, gaudy clothes, long painted nails and more rings than I could count...a very "loud" personality. The woman was immensely kind and let Freya stroke her fingers and smile/giggle with her. Too funny.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:08 pm 
Semen Strong

I dreamed I was in a Bones episode and we were all trying to find out what had killed this man and eaten all his flesh off his bones. Turns out it was leela and her tooth nubbins. Clearly I am very traumatized by the biting.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
my husband just said he's "sick of the vegan thing" - what the fizzle is that? they had gardein strips for dinner and at dance class livi said something about eating fake chicken strips and the husband said the kids looked at her weird and she looked like she was going to cry. that may be true but it's also true that he totally imagines looks to be what he wants.

Eh, if Livi seems unbothered by it, I'd just talk to her about how all kids have foods they do and don't like and it really isn't much different. That always made Shae feel more "normal" when he realized that just because omni kids can eat anything, they still have TONS of things they refuse to eat.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 pm 

Thanks everyone. I think a list of things she can't eat is a good idea. I'm not so much afraid of anyone giving her something on purpose (i don't think anyone would do that), just Ada grabbing something and eating it without anyone noticing right away. But like I said, she could do that any day when I'm with her, but at least I would know. I also think I'm just a bit anxious about leaving her in general. I think this will be good though. A lot of times two coop members will watch another member's kid so it's basically a play date. Ada will get to hang out with others kids and learn that I don't have to be there all the time and I could do things like get a hair cut or go to the doctor or actually clean the apartment.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
I dreamed I was in a Bones episode and we were all trying to find out what had killed this man and eaten all his flesh off his bones. Turns out it was leela and her tooth nubbins. Clearly I am very traumatized by the biting.

Hilarious!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

refinnej wrote:
Ditto to the "what they do eat" list. This was immensely helpful when I worked in childcare situations with kids on special diets. Babysitting co-op sounds cool. I think the man and I are going to have our first time away from Freya together when we're on holiday in August (where she can stay with my sisters/parents). I still don't know that I'm going to be able to do it. Eek!

I have a friend's bachelorette party in a couple weeks and wedding shortly after.. It will be really fun, but Im already dreading those nights away from baby. Not to mention all the pumping...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:11 am 

Ariann wrote:
I am kind of amazed at how all the other moms at music class drive SUVs and the only car we own is a ford focus and none of those moms gets a paycheck. How do other people have so much money or the appearance of so much money?

Like Appi, I am a military wife, and as such I basically know the income of all the other SAHM Navy wives up here (because it's exactly the same as me). I can safely say most of them take out huge loans and have lots of debt. I can't tell you how many families we've met who were going to leave the military but ended up reenlisting out of fear of their massive debt.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

refinnej wrote:

- Other lady (who admittedly is a bit off) who we've encountered at least four times, who continually tells me how big her baby is. Yesterday, she asked how old F is. When I said she was 5 months (the same as her child who Freya could squash like a bug), she suddenly changed her mind and decided to tell me how he started crawling at four months and "isn't your baby crawling yet?" Sigh.

Something similar happened to me yesterday. The cashier at the supermarket asked me how old my daughter was. She was commenting on the fact that F. was sitting in her stoller in a very awkward position. I said we chose that position because she couldn't sit properly yet but didn't want to lay down any longer. The cashier looked at me weirdly and said. "My kid could sit when he was 7 months." And then told me that he could crawl at that age and walk a month later. I said "I know. My kid is such a loser." That shut her up immediately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 115  Next