| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am going to get off the couch and clean out the fridge. I am going to get off the couch and clean out the fridge. Must... find... motivation...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm bumping this thread because I don't feel like this merits a whole new one, but I'm wondering what you guys would do in this situation:

There is a music class here that I'd really like to enroll Inez in, because she loooooves music and a lot of our little library buddies go to it. Plus it's pretty cheap ($35 for a six-week session). I was kind of hesitant because it's held at a church and we don't go in for religious stuff, but I've been assured it's very neutral and non Jesus-y. Sounds okay. But! I looked into the church a little because it's a denomination I'm not familiar with and it seems very ickily homophobic. (At least in its official positions. No clue how much this local one adheres to that line, as I live in a pretty liberal place and would like to think better of my neighbors.) Anyway, I reallllly don't want to support an organization like that but I have no idea if the music program money actually goes to the church. It probably does, right? At least some of it? Would you flat out ask? Ugh. I could probably find a music class through the parks department but they're like twice as expensive, at least.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hmmm. Many churches rent out their space for local (non-religous) groups. Is it possible that this class is run by a separate organization from the church?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think the music group is a separate, but also Christian-run, thing. I'm not 100% sure, though, and should probably ask. I feel like even if they're just renting space, the course fee probably goes to pay that rent (at least in part) and therefore would be going to the church. And then I feel like a big stick in the mud for not just being all "Yay! Babies with tambourines!"

Probably good practice for life as a vegan parent, though. "Your birthday cupcakes are very pretty, Jessica, but they are made of sadness and pus and so we will not be partaking."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pinko, unless the church is Westboro Baptist or something truly awful, I'd just go and not think about it too much. Call me ethically lazy.

I have a question: how do I keep Walter from throwing food on the floor? It's annoying, even when lunch is something simple like toast with hummus, to see it wasted. He used to drop food in an attempt to buy the dogs' affection, so I've started penning them in the kitchen while we eat. Now I'm only giving him a few bites at a time so if he tosses it he isn't wasting too much. Is he just experimenting with gravity? Will he stop on his own? I tell him no in a firm voice, but he just laughs at me.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was just going to ask the same thing! I know she'll stop eventually, but it drives me nuts. The dog gets more of her food than she does, I swear. And, judging from her reaction, this is HILARIOUS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Felix is 2 and a half and still going strong with the food throwing. Maybe not quite as much, but he still does it. What he does now that's even worse is dump out entire containers of things. Food, toys, crayons. Whatever he can get his hands on. He's been doing that for maybe almost a year? Or maybe 9 months.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

Okay, here's some randomness for you.

Beetroot is 3.5 and while he can feed himself, likes me to feed him. In fact, lately he's stopped feeding himself almost entirely, demanding I feed him anything that is not a finger food. He does not let Mr. Crabby feed him, so I'm guessing this is some kind of attention-thing, which is...funny? because I give him tons of attention.

Raygold is 19 months and will not let me feed him anything ever, except baked beans.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:36 pm 
And you never will.

poopiebaby was a big food dropper for a while, but I just ignored it entirely. I made a point of saying something when he put food in his mouth (not like making a huge deal, but saying in an upbeat way "yum! you put the toast in your mouth!" and saying nothing when he dropped food. He doesn't really drop food on the floor on purpose anymore, unless he decides he is done eating. I'm trying to teach him the "all done" sign and I do it when he tosses food and then immediately get him down. It's getting better.

I've found in poopiebaby's case, that finding a positive alternative and focusing all of the attention on that, stops the unwanted behaviour much faster than giving the behaviour negative attention.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That makes a lot of sense, poopie. I have considered just ending the meal when he starts dropping food, but he does it at the beginning of the meal, when he's barely eaten anything. I think it's just exploring: "What does this food taste like? Now what does it sound like when it hits the ground?" I will start praising more when he gets the food in his mouth. Food dropping is not the end of the world as long as I know it's developmentally normal and will stop eventually, I was just worried I hadn't been setting enough limits or something and inadvertently taught my kid horrible manners.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, it's totally normal and it will stop eventually! Don't worry - it's definitely just a developmental stage, not bad manners :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The manners thing just made me think of this. The other day on the plane Grey was strangely well behaved and after we landed the guy next to me complimented? Me about how grey was an angel and how well behaved he was. I thought it was weird because it isn't like I had a thing to do with Grey's good manners that day, he is a baby. Somedays he cries nonstop, others he is chill and just hangs out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebear wrote:
The manners thing just made me think of this. The other day on the plane Grey was strangely well behaved and after we landed the guy next to me complimented? Me about how grey was an angel and how well behaved he was. I thought it was weird because it isn't like I had a thing to do with Grey's good manners that day, he is a baby. Somedays he cries nonstop, others he is chill and just hangs out.

Ha! Yeah, I've gotten those comments before and I'm like, "Um. Thanks?" Glad all that rigorous baby etiquette training is paying off! Or maybe she just happened to not be screaming right then?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 am 
Married to the wolfman

The strangers complimenting you on baby behavior thing: this always kind of cracks me up. Like I have any control over that. People have been complimenting me on the Emperor's sunny disposition since he was tiny, and I used to try to explain to them: he's really not this sweet all the time, he just really likes being out in public around people, and I have no idea why because personally I'm a super big introvert who would prefer to be holed up in the house alone in the dark. But people are always like "no it's got to be something you're doing" so now I'm just like oh thanks. People! So silly!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

People always told me that Ezra was a "good baby". That always got to me. Seriously, would he be a bad baby if he was fussy? People base the quality of your parenting skills on very odd parameters.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Oh, my Grey is like The Emperor, he is so happy when we are out, he is always smiling and laughing and hamming it up for everyone. At home is another story. He is very fussy, wants to be held all the time and is generally dissatisfied. I am pretty social and would be more so if I had more friends around here, so I am ok with him being like this. The last few years I struggled with depression and honestly since having him and his need to be out it has basically cured me (for now anyway). Apparently all I needed was to get out of the house more and talk to people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 am 
And you never will.

poopiebaby is exactly the same way! If we're in public, he is almost 100% guaranteed to be happy and sociable. It certainly doesn't mean he's happy all the time at home, and it really doesn't have anything to do with me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am 
Married to the wolfman

littlebear wrote:
Oh, my Grey is like The Emperor, he is so happy when we are out, he is always smiling and laughing and hamming it up for everyone. At home is another story. He is very fussy, wants to be held all the time and is generally dissatisfied. I am pretty social and would be more so if I had more friends around here, so I am ok with him being like this. The last few years I struggled with depression and honestly since having him and his need to be out it has basically cured me (for now anyway). Apparently all I needed was to get out of the house more and talk to people.

Ha. See, it is just the opposite for me. I think one of many contributing factors to my PPD last time was having to make this huge shift from being home all the time, having a lot of people free time to recharge, etc, to feeling like I always had to be out and interacting with strangers and making small talk about how much my baby weighed and how many months old he was and stuff. For me, that kind of thing does not come naturally and is really stressful. (You would never guess it from how much I love to talk about my kid on the internet!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kai drops food too and I hate seeing it wasted. At least my dog eats it, so it isn't totally wasted, but it sucks. I try to give him only a little at a time so he doesn't throw too much. I like poopie's idea, I'm going to try that.

As far as the good behavior thing, I had the opposite. When my mom came to his 1 year doctor's appointment, Kai was crawling all over the waiting room. I tried to entertain him and stop him as much as possible, but he is such an active kid there just isn't any way top stop him, he never stops moving. She was all upset and said something like I need to get him to behave better and I was like, "Mom he's 1 year old. He doesn't even understand words yet, what do you think I'm supposed to do?" So annoying.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

haha Aubade, in response to you saying that to your mom, my mom would say "But YOU are the boss. Show her who's boss." Because yeah exerting your will on your child at all times - even when they are not being unsafe - is surely the way to go. Can't let her think it's ok to do what she wants! hahaha.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's so annoying the way people judge your parenting based on your kids mood. I swear all I hear when we only had Shae was "you should have 6 more just like him!" etc, then along comes Silas, who gets overstimulated easy, and people have actually said "Don't you wish you had just stopped at one?". fork no, I don't. But thanks for that! It's really weird to see the same people who used to compliment my parenting all the time, look at me like I'm the worst because of Silas' speech delay and fussiness if tired/overstimulated. I think I'm actually a better parent now because I'm working a lot harder to help Silas through it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Kelly wrote:
and people have actually said "Don't you wish you had just stopped at one?". fork no, I don't. .

I can't believe how many times I've heard talk like this. I've heard mothers say this before (including my own about me). It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Kelly wrote:
It's so annoying the way people judge your parenting based on your kids mood. I swear all I hear when we only had Shae was "you should have 6 more just like him!" etc, then along comes Silas, who gets overstimulated easy, and people have actually said "Don't you wish you had just stopped at one?". fork no, I don't. But thanks for that! It's really weird to see the same people who used to compliment my parenting all the time, look at me like I'm the worst because of Silas' speech delay and fussiness if tired/overstimulated. I think I'm actually a better parent now because I'm working a lot harder to help Silas through it.

I hear you, Kelly. My husband and I are both introverts and Walter definitely is, too. I like that about our little family (I have these fantasies about the three of us sitting around in a quiet room, reading the paper, contentedly playing alone with legos...), but people are offended in the grocery store when he doesn't smile at them. Or when they touch him without his permission and he screams! He is such a smiley goof at home, but around strangers he is reserved. He needs to watch people for a while before he wants to jump right in and interact. People tell me all the time "He's so serious!"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:36 pm 
Semen Strong

This is so interesting. The New Yorker had an article on colic, and part of what they touched on is that the parents (reinforced by those around them) decide very early on who is the "good" baby and who is the "difficult child" and those characterizations can color the entire relationship. Its great that all of you are able to keep from characterizing your little ones that way.

And it seems like other people are always going to judge. My sister's son is a very rambunctious 3 year old and its amazing how many people take his behavior as a reflection on her parenting. He's 2! Its his job to be in everything and test limits. She can't make him a tiny grown-up just for your convenience.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mittenmacher wrote:
Kelly wrote:
but people are offended in the grocery store when he doesn't smile at them. Or when they touch him without his permission and he screams!.

This is Silas exactly! He's getting better about smiling and people now, but he really hates when strangers touch him. Or when people try too hard to force him to laugh or like them, he just freaks and wants out of there. If they would just calm down for a few minutes and let him choose to interact, he'd show them he's actually super sweet and friendly!

I was painfully shy as a kid (and still am sometimes), so I totally get it.

For awhile, it was really hard on me seeing people react to him like he isnt good enough, but I've finally gotten to the point where it just annoys me. It's just so hard seeing people compare him to Shae and then writing him off. If they got to know him, they'd realize that he's better about some things than Shae is/was and worse at others! Hey have a ton of similarities but you can't expect 2 kids to be the same. My mil is the absolute worst about this and it's really straining our relationship. I don't put up with it. And I refuse to let it continue to the point that Silas notices it.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 85  Next