| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Interesting blog about "Leaning In" today on HuffPo, echoing much of what's been said here on PPK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-belk ... 91319.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:56 am 
And you never will.

Hey you guys, no matter what you're doing, you can rest assured that you're doing it WRONG:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

When I grow up I want to be that last one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ariann wrote:

i'm already there, baby, already there. although, around these parts, we call mythbusters "educational programming."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:21 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that. So hard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I love it! LOVE IT! And my kids call me by my first name, even though they've never had anyone else watch them. I'm doing it wrong! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ariann wrote:

bahaha, that's our favorite show lately... Sam and Eli watch with me. Hey, its educational, right?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Semen Strong

The third from the bottom is eerily familiar!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Thanks poopie, I laughed so hard my DivaCup started to come out. (Not joking.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

@coldandsleepy: visual!! LOL

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I can identify with the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 pm 
Semen Strong

I would add:

If you complain: WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? YOU WANTED THIS BABY NOW SHUT UP AND ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MOMENT OF THE MIRACLE THAT IS CHILDREN! Or else OMG MINE WAS SO MUCH WORSE.

If you say you had an easy experience: LUCKY YOU! MINE/SOMEONE ELSE'S WAS TERRIBLE (long ramble).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 pm 
And you never will.

Short on space? Worried your baby isn't getting enough fresh air and sunshine? Get a baby cage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:42 am 
Semen Strong

When I first had L, I really hated all the comments about "Oh she is going to be a Daddy's girl blahblahblah." But now when he is home, she can't get enough Daddy time. So I have been getting relax, read a book, watch a movie and drink coffee time. Its pretty nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was vacuuming earlier today, and it's so awesome. Zeph will follow the vacuum, sit down about a foot away when it stops (the base, not the handle/sucking part), and flap his arms and coo. And Iz helps vacuum. Yay, kidlets!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

haha bodhi my Sierra loves to follow the vacuum too. However her big sister lately claims to be afraid of it and kinda huddles into a little ball on the couch while this is going on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

When I vacuum (which is usually every day) the kids get possessed or something and run around in circles screaming (in a good way).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh god, this makes me realize we don't vacuum often enough to know what Scarlett thinks about it...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mooo wrote:
Oh god, this makes me realize we don't vacuum often enough to know what Scarlett thinks about it...

Heh. You can definitely tell what our cleaning standard has been like in the recent past by how excited my kids are to see their long lost friend, the vacuum.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm either nesting or really OCD because I've been vacuuming the same 2 rooms every day!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We pretty much have to vacuum our living room carpet everyday because despite having an outdoor and indoor doormat we still get so much sand tracked in. Problem is that Giles is scare of the vacuum and always cries unless he is taken into another room so it is kind of a big ordeal. I hope he gets over it and decides the vacuum is exciting and fun soon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am 
Semen Strong

We went to our general dentist, who didn't charge for the visit. Leela started crying the minute we walked in the door - and his office is in their home and it looks like a living room. She then tried to open the door to run away. He doesn't believe in forcing anything, but while she was crying he took a peek at L's teeth, and he said the spots we see *everywhere* on her teeth is probably from the iron supplements. Since our water just recently tested as not having problematic levels of lead in it, I am going to talk to our ped about discontinuing.

kimba wrote:
With varnish, there is no remainder to spit out. I would put fluoride varnish on any high risk baby or toddler with teeth, regardless of age. There is even a push to have physicians do it at well child visits. If they aren't getting it before age three it does not have the chance to prevent early childhood caries. Studies show it is very safe. This is not the same type of fluoride that most patients are familiar with. It is painted on the teeth.

Our dentist said that since she won't open her mouth for this to be done, he isn't comfortable doing the varnish, but a pediatric dentist would. He said that most pediatric dentists have equipment/willingness to hold a child down and do a cleaning and varnish but that most general dentists wouldn't. His hygienist works for a pediatric dentist as well and was very helpful with tips. They both said we do have to just hold her down and brush if needed. which kind of sucks.

But at least there are no signs of cavities. It was a great visit, because I learned a lot. There is so much mis-information, it was worth it to me just to have the conversation and learn more about what to look for and the difference between staining and cavities etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tofulish wrote:
Our dentist said that since she won't open her mouth for this to be done, he isn't comfortable doing the varnish, but a pediatric dentist would. He said that most pediatric dentists have equipment/willingness to hold a child down and do a cleaning and varnish but that most general dentists wouldn't. His hygienist works for a pediatric dentist as well and was very helpful with tips. They both said we do have to just hold her down and brush if needed. which kind of sucks.

Ugh. You don't need special equipment to apply fluoride varnish on a little baby/toddler. A knee-to-knee exam and fluoride application is very easy and fast. http://dhss.delaware.gov/dph/hsm/files/ ... eeexam.pdf - they don't need to follow all the "steps" just the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 pm 
Semen Strong

The problem is that she is thrashing and melting down so its not "knee to knee".....

My husband still refuses to let me force-brush Leela's teeth, despite the dentist's advice that we need to. His response "Well the dentist refuses to force it because he doesn't want it to be a bad experience for her, so clearly we shouldn't either." But the dentist specifically said that we need to brush her teeth - her doing herself doesn't cut it. We spend over an hour at night getting a bit here or a bit there, so its not terrible etc, but it isn't the full cleaning she needs. His response to that is that she was doing fine until that one day that I force-brushed her teeth and now she hates it so its my fault she doesn't brush her teeth properly, and that if we just are patient, she'll go back to willingly brushing. In my view, there isn't a huge difference between how she brushes now and before I forcibly brushed her teeth, but B doesn't see that at all.

I can't see force brushing her teeth against my husband's will and then having to have that fight on top of fighting with Leela every night. Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Maybe brush her teeth when he isn't at home? Or is that bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 97  Next