| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Yikes, glad he's ok! How did Malka handle a new person?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And he's coming back on Friday!

Malka did totally fine with him. We did two days of him being there with one of us, watching us parent, playing with Malka, etc., then this morning we played together for an hour and then I left him alone for his first stretch. Malka is so social that she falls in love with whoever sits on the floor and plays with her a little. Today she was a little sleepy and clingy, so she wasn't super happy to see me go, but I don't think that will last.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 am 
Nooch of Earl

Allergic to cashews!!! But what does he eat?? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

that is super news Ariann...so great to find someone you feel comfortable with too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This isn't really a vent, so I figured this is the best spot. Scariest day ever yesterday - my four year old went out onto the balcony while I was with his little brother in the living room (where the door to the balcony is). He likes to play out there, sit in the chair, etc. I was watching him - I'm kind of afraid of heights, so I keep a good eye on him when he's out there. He was on the chair, and then I looked over maybe five seconds later, and he was trying to climb the rail. I almost had a heart attack! If I hadn't looked right at that moment, he would have fallen and died. I got him right away, and the door is now locked (where he can't reach) and he doesn't get to go out unless a parent is with him. AHHHHHH. (Coincidentally, we are moving in June to an apartment on the first floor. Whew!)

I asked him why he was climbing, and he said he wanted to "get bark". There's no tree there. There is cement on the ground below. And a cement riser thing with plants in it. Agggghhh! We had a good chat about safety. And about a thousand hugs. Kids, I tell ya!

ETA: I don't want to come off sounding like I wasn't paying attention so to clarify - I was like less than 10 feet away from him during the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh bodhi! How terrifying! So happy he is okay!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
And you never will.

That's so scary bodhi! I think everyone here understands how FAST kids can move, and do things you honestly don't expect them to - I'm so glad you caught him in time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Allergic to cashews!!! But what does he eat?? ;)

I know, for real, right?

God, allergies suck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So scary bodhi! I was just thinking about balconies today as we're getting ready to plan our summer trips, part of which involves an apt with a (nice, but scary to parents) balcony. Whew.

Ariann, glad the nanny is okay and happy to continue on. Honestly, if he'd wanted to quit over that, I would've been a bit disappointed in him, but yeah. :p Just be prepared for him to ask you like 1000 times now "This doesn't have any cashews in it, right?" :p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:31 am 
Naked Under Apron

bodhi wrote:
This isn't really a vent, so I figured this is the best spot. Scariest day ever yesterday - my four year old went out onto the balcony while I was with his little brother in the living room (where the door to the balcony is). He likes to play out there, sit in the chair, etc. I was watching him - I'm kind of afraid of heights, so I keep a good eye on him when he's out there. He was on the chair, and then I looked over maybe five seconds later, and he was trying to climb the rail. I almost had a heart attack! If I hadn't looked right at that moment, he would have fallen and died. I got him right away, and the door is now locked (where he can't reach) and he doesn't get to go out unless a parent is with him. AHHHHHH. (Coincidentally, we are moving in June to an apartment on the first floor. Whew!)

I asked him why he was climbing, and he said he wanted to "get bark". There's no tree there. There is cement on the ground below. And a cement riser thing with plants in it. Agggghhh! We had a good chat about safety. And about a thousand hugs. Kids, I tell ya!

ETA: I don't want to come off sounding like I wasn't paying attention so to clarify - I was like less than 10 feet away from him during the whole thing.

Oh, Bodhi, I have so been there! We hang our Japanese futons over the balcony to air them out and Beetroot and Raygold like to hide under them like they are tents, but one time, Beetroot just decided it would be great to climb right on one and now every time we go out there together, even though I am right there, I am scared he will accidentally climb over the edge, even though he knows he's not allowed to scale the futons.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We're back from our trip! It was awesome, except for the actual traveling parts.
Highlights:
tiny wu visiting farfar and farmor (Mr. Scandi's parents), grandpa, and great-grandpa, her godmother, aunt, uncle and cousins, plus lots of friends (this should actually count as about 17 highlights)
sunny weather of over 30 C (such an amazing change from our freezing, still-snowing Danish weather)
delicious vegan Mexican, Indian, and Ethiopian food
browsing an English-language used bookstore for picture books

Overall it was just great and pretty much exactly what Mr. Scandi and I both needed. Now we're home again and getting back to the normal routine, and it feels good, not like a grind, which is always a good thing after a vacation. Except for the sleeping. The sleeping is pretty much The Worst Ever.

I can't believe how much tw grew and changed just in our two week trip! And there's so much to catch up on here too--I missed all you PPKers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Glad to hear you're all still alive! :D Hope the sleeping evens out soon.

30C sounds so amazing right now. It was about 11 here yesterday with a spot of sun and we were all ditching our coats at the park (well, for like 15 minutes until the temp dipped again).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

lol its 1C here now... i wish it were 30!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Yeah, today we had 5 C and sunny--so it's improving-- and my neighbor was out on the front steps in his shorts, sunbathing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Henry seems to have inherited my early rising gene, today he was up at 4:20 ready to party. After breakfast I put him back in his crib at 7 and he conked out. What am I doing instead of getting all the stuff done I'm usually doing with him attached to my leg? Lying in bed ppking on my phone and snuggling with the cat, which is just as important as packing his school bag and making lunches.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ada seems to think that in order to communicate with the baby my shirt needs to be up. So when I got dressed today she wouldn't let me put my shirt down because she wanted to play with the baby. She was tickling, saying "baby sooo cute" and "I loooove you baby", then blowing raspberries, then bringing her Zoe doll for the baby to play with. Then she got some Lego pieces which were "water" so she could give the baby water through my belly button. Because apparently that's how we give the baby things. She tried to give the baby a piece of a pancake a few days ago through my belly button.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Sashi that is so cute!

This forum alternates between making me never want another baby and making me desperately want another

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Dudeeee, winter storm on its way here tomorrow! Nooo!
I think Mother Nature is very confused! *shakes head* I had plans with mah boys!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alerts ... s_citypage

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

sashi wrote:
Ada seems to think that in order to communicate with the baby my shirt needs to be up. So when I got dressed today she wouldn't let me put my shirt down because she wanted to play with the baby. She was tickling, saying "baby sooo cute" and "I loooove you baby", then blowing raspberries, then bringing her Zoe doll for the baby to play with. Then she got some Lego pieces which were "water" so she could give the baby water through my belly button. Because apparently that's how we give the baby things. She tried to give the baby a piece of a pancake a few days ago through my belly button.

Well, it's better than legos and pancakes being jammed through alternative entrances, right? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 am 
Inflexitarian

So we had our first choking incident last night. I had suspected Giles of having found a leaf and eaten it earlier in the evening because I had heard him periodically coughing and making chewing motions but when I checked his mouth a couple of time it seemed empty. Well when my husband had just stripped him down for his bath he started coughing and coughing and coughing with tears streaming down his face and mega drool and he was turning purple from the exertion. I *know* that if the baby is coughing you are supposed to leave them alone and let them continue coughing but that is damn hard to do. We finally decided to try to help him with some back blows which did nothing and then some back blows with his head more towards the ground like the infant cpr class shows. That made him throw up his dinner which dislodged the leaf. So Scary. Within about 10 minutes he was his happy smiling self again - I on the other hand was totally spent and had to go to bed 2 hours early.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Our first choking incident was on a leaf too. I had no idea he'd been near leaves, so when he puked up a slimy green thing I was terrified! It's super scary!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 am 
Bathes in Braggs

stuckunderhere wrote:
Dudeeee, winter storm on its way here tomorrow! Nooo!
I think Mother Nature is very confused! *shakes head* I had plans with mah boys!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/alerts ... s_citypage

I KNOW!!! what the fizzle??

jesus christ on a cracker, this has been the worst spring ever. it's currently sleeting snow. it's mid-april and we haven't had a day over 6C yet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh, I know! But it seems to be passing now... I hope.

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Spoke too soon... that is just GROSS!! Ice pellets and slush everywhere.

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Eek! Glad Giles is okay. I've had to really whack babies in my care twice. Both times, the food was dislodged quickly, but the babies looked at me and screamed with that "what the hell was *that*?" expression. :p

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 85  Next