| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:28 pm 
Nooch of Earl

For those who shop at Albertson's, I just discovered the other day that the produce people will give your kid a card for a free apple or banana. http://www.albertsons.com/healthy-eatin ... ition.html (The card is reusable for each time you shop)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

aww kids are so funny about other kids - there's a boy at D's preschool that she talks about absolutely nonstop at home, but as far as I can tell they never play together and he doesn't even talk to her. And just now when H went to pick her up, one of the other girl's moms came over and said that her daughter is "in love" with D and talks about her all the time at home. So cute and random.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I feel like I won lotto today, my gorgeous girl is still in bed [7:20am] since ~8:30 last night [after going to bed at 7:30 then getting up to re-settle 3 or 4 times]
...which means I slept all night without having to get out of bed for the second time this year, wow it's amazing how great that makes you feel!

...also, my boobs feel like they're going to explode.

These things may be related...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:27 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine just had the most glamorous birth. They live in a penthouse overlooking Miami beach, so she had a home birth with a professional photographer doing these amazing pictures of her, her husband and their child in this amazing space. She looks incredible through the whole thing and then they did pictures of her with the newborn and she doesn't even look the slightest bit tired. I'm superhappy for her. Their daughter is their first child, and they had a great time with fashion shoots during the pregnancy and an amazing babymoon, and it just looks like the kind of pregnancy and birth I'd love to experience.

They named their daughter Love Being, and she is half South Asian, so she looks a bit like Leela and is so so so tiny.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

that sounds divine tofulish!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 am 
Bathes in Braggs

oh! and i had an almost terrible parenting fail tonight :/ i was shaving my legs in the shower (which i never do) with z in the baby bath beside me and i put the razor down to do something and turned around and z is trying to shave her little baby leg!!!!! jeez, i had a heart attack. i can only imagine what my partner would think of that if he knew....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yikes! Hope she's fine. They are SO eager to imitate when it comes to personal hygiene stuff!! V's latest thing is the foot pumice. She HAS to use it, except she has no calluses so she just sits there trying to brush her hair with my foot pumice, which is gross and hiliarious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Ha. Ada likes to do my personal hygiene stuff for me (just like she must do every single thing for herself nowadays). For example, she must put my deodorant on for me and then put it away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has definitely put on my deodorant. She has also taken a bite out of my deodorant (why, I don't know). It's now in a very high place! I've also seen her take my husband's electric beard trimmer and tried to trim her chin (it's never plugged in, so no success there). Unfortunately she can now climb onto the toilet seat and get at the medicine cabinet, so if we're not vigilant about closing the bathroom door every time she figures out when our guard is down and makes a beeline. Luckily no razors in the house lately.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Can you maybe put some sort of lock on the medicine cabinet?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm 
And you never will.

Gah. My husband's grandma is dying, so he's leaving Friday to go to England to spend time with her and the rest of his family. He's only going to be gone a week, but I'm still a little nervous being left alone with Peter. I don't have anyone local who can help me, which means I won't get much time to work on orders during the day. I can do a few hours while he watches TV and naps, but usually R will take him out for a couple of hours on my busy days so I can get some uninterrupted work done. Now instead of baking until 2am on those days next week, I'll be baking until 4-5am instead.

I know a lot of you do it alone for a hell of a lot longer than a week, so please feel free to roll your eyes and mentally bitch-slap me for being so whiny.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

stuckunderhere wrote:

Probably, although we are mostly just moving actually dangerous things to the linen closet, which is reliably always closed and trying to be more vigilant about closing the bathroom door instead. At this point we really need to, because she can now climb into the tub and turn on the water, so we don't want that to ever happen (it would be hard for that to happen without someone immediately noticing, because you'd hear the water, but she could fall climbing in and crack her head). We also used to have a lock on the toilet seat, but it broke off and I don't think we're going to replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

poopiebitch wrote:
Gah. My husband's grandma is dying, so he's leaving Friday to go to England to spend time with her and the rest of his family. He's only going to be gone a week, but I'm still a little nervous being left alone with Peter. I don't have anyone local who can help me, which means I won't get much time to work on orders during the day. I can do a few hours while he watches TV and naps, but usually R will take him out for a couple of hours on my busy days so I can get some uninterrupted work done. Now instead of baking until 2am on those days next week, I'll be baking until 4-5am instead.

I know a lot of you do it alone for a hell of a lot longer than a week, so please feel free to roll your eyes and mentally bitch-slap me for being so whiny.

I don't think you're being whiny at all. I really don't understand how you manage to do so much work and still be the primary and sometimes sole caregiver for a toddler, plus doing it on little sleep after staying up late. That's really just nuts. I really can't accomplish anything with Malka some days so I am totally blown away by a) stay-at-home parents in general who get any shiitake done during the day and b) people who do so for extended periods of time with no partner around to support them.

I feel like annak should give us a seminar or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ariann wrote:
stuckunderhere wrote:

Probably, although we are mostly just moving actually dangerous things to the linen closet, which is reliably always closed and trying to be more vigilant about closing the bathroom door instead. At this point we really need to, because she can now climb into the tub and turn on the water, so we don't want that to ever happen (it would be hard for that to happen without someone immediately noticing, because you'd hear the water, but she could fall climbing in and crack her head). We also used to have a lock on the toilet seat, but it broke off and I don't think we're going to replace it.

Child locks are great, but eventually, your little Houdini will figure out a way to bypass them. Same thing with those safety gates! I still use both, but Beetroot can bypass them -- it took him less than 72 hours to figure out the baby gate (his trick is to just bum-rush it to get it to slam open -- I know there are different kinds, but this was the only sort we found that fit our wide doorways) when I put it up a couple of years ago. Fortunately, Raygold still can't. ;p

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

poopiebitch wrote:

Oh, no, I understand. Most of the time it's easier to take care of my kids when Mr Crabby isn't around, but today, they have both been pure mental ALL DAY. I've had no downtime at all. "Yes, Beety, I can wipe your poo-butt, HANG ON RAYGOLD, one thing at a time, I'll fix firefox for you when I'm done wiping Beet's asparagus!" "Raygold, why are you playing in the bathroom when I told you to report for dinner?" "If you needed more food, you shouldn't've dumped your waffle in the potty and peed on it." "Fine, I'll feed you, even though we both know you can feed yourself." Etc.

Bedtime in 30 minutes!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I totally used chocolate to bribe Inez into the car today when she refused to leave the playground. Best mom!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Ha! I hear you! I gave Leela a chocolate covered So Delicious bar to leave the park. Of course now the entire carseat is covered in chocolate but tomorrow is another day.

Poopie, I second Ariann's comment - I have no idea how you do all you do without more help. Sending tons of good thoughts, and I hope someone can help you out a bit while R is gone. I can't imagine a week of being up until 4 am and then dealing with a toddler.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bribed my kids with the promise of lemonade and chocolate so that they would go inside. They ran up the stairs. I was so happy to not be outside anymore.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

sashi wrote:
Ha. Ada likes to do my personal hygiene stuff for me (just like she must do every single thing for herself nowadays). For example, she must put my deodorant on for me and then put it away.

Our problem is toilet paper...she keeps pulling off the whole roll or dropping it into the toilet. I have it rigged now with a giant hair clip that she can't really get to when someone is on the pot. So far it's working but I dread the day she can open the door by herself.

My parenting fail today was when I gave babynut a slice of tofurky for a snack. She threw it on the floor and walked away. Meanwhile, the cat finds the tofurky and begins licking it intently. Babynut notices and decides to reclaim the slice. I'm not fast enough and she beats me to the slice and stuffs it into her mouth. Yuck! Better than actual cat food, but still gross.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks for letting me whine, you guys :) I do think it will be interesting to see just how different things are when I'm going it alone. I'll probably end the week with a better appreciation for what he does.

Of course, our life is normally very boring - aside from work we just spend most days hanging out at home or going to the park - but this next week is going to be crazy. Out of the eight days he is gone, I only have one day where I don't have some sort of commitment to fulfill, including driving to Nashville twice to drop him off/pick him up from the airport, and our Vegan Bake Sale which I'm making a ton of stuff for. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 am 
Naked Under Apron

Chocolate bribes! I got a stroller on freecycle a few years ago and had to bribe Beety with chocolate just to get him into it for the ride home (everyone was laughing while I struggled to get it on the bus, thank goodness it was only for a few miles). He hated it and never wanted to be in it and I hated pushing it, so it got re-freecycled. (I only got it because I was pregnant and it didn't occur to me to get some kind of back-baby carrier).

- Crabby, I am afraid I have some bad news for you.
- What is it, Beet?
- You know the train I was going to take from X station?
- Yes. (I didn't, we aren't taking any trains today, but whatever. I like to indulge him.)
- *dramatic sigh* I just checked on nationalrail.co.uk and it is slightly delayed at Y station.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yep, see, right now, our city mini stroller is not getting ANY attention lol Elijah hates it and Samuel is too old for it. So Eli goes in the baby carriers/wraps and Sam holds me hand. It works out well :)

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ TheVeganHammock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am 
Semen Strong

Poopie, I get tired just reading about your plans! I think you're awesome for giving your partner this space to be with his extended family. Is there anyone who can help you or could you get a local teen to be a mother's helper, who just plays with Peter while you bake in another room?

And Butternut, that is every day at our house. Except with the dog. Leela consumes enough dogspit to turn her into a werewolf. I can't really police it, so I'm calling it immunization.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

Good luck PB! That sounds so stressful. Our CO's wife might know somebody in Millington who could help you out, want me to ask? They just did a tour there a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

good luck PB! that sounds stressful and I wish you the best.

COMPLETELY unrelated, just an observation I had today: this is gonna sound snarky when actually it's just very sad, but - nothing like a junkie couple nodding out on the train with their baby in a stroller next to them to make you feel good about your parenting choices...

Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 85  Next