| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Parent guilt is the worst. A relative (without kids, fwiw) said to me while I was feeding H "well, I guess he'll be OK even though you aren't holding him while feeding". I have no other way to handle giving the twins breastmilk only with H unable to nurse. I pump and nurse C while bottle feeding H, so I have to prop him up in a boppy next to me to feed him. I know I'm doing the best I can, but I still felt wracked with guilt. I had felt so proud that I've learned to nurse, pump, and bottle feed all at the same time and that the twins have only had 2 bottles of formula their whole life.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry helbury, I think its really inappropriate and horrible for anyone to judge you.

Friday gave me the greatest advice ever (paraphrasing with any apologies, misstatements all my own), she said "you are going to agonize over all the decisions, but at the end of the day, whatever you do, Leela will be fine. Not saying she won't resent you, but at least she'll be together enough to know how to get the resources she needs, if that is therapy etc." I think about that all the time, because I do have mom-guilt all the time.

Last edited by Tofulish on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

helbury, you sound like you have an amazing system going there! and fwiw, we pretty much always put our babies in a boppy to bottlefeed, I truly don't think there's anything wrong with that. (And ah yes, gotta love the opinion of those who've never had to do any of this themselves!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

yeah - Giles would only drink his bottle while laying on a boppy - if you tried to hold and cuddle him while he was eating it was a no go - and I am not worried about his emotional development or attachment at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks so much you guys, I feel like I get more support here in the playground than I do in real like sometimes.

annak wrote:
Good luck PB! That sounds so stressful. Our CO's wife might know somebody in Millington who could help you out, want me to ask? They just did a tour there a couple years ago.

You are so awesome to offer! I think I've got it figured out, as long as I stick to my plan, but I just had a friend offer to help me out if I need it so I've got a back-up plan just in case. Thank you though! Especially since my measly 8 days probably sounds like a walk in the park to you - I don't know how you do it, but you are obviously amazing :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

pb and helbury, you ladies rock! Seriously, I am a mostly SAHM of *one* baby and I am exhausted most days.

Also....I want cake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

poopiebitch wrote:
Especially since my measly 8 days probably sounds like a walk in the park to you - I don't know how you do it, but you are obviously amazing :)

Well there's certainly not a lot of baking getting done around these parts, that's for sure ;) This morning I realized at 11:00 that I had spent all of my morning from about 6:30 cleaning up after the baby or the cat, and getting breakfast on the table for us. (And don't think breakfast was anything fancy, I toasted a bagel with tofutti and drank instant coffee ;) ) Anyway you'll do it one day at a time and you'll manage. *hug* Similarly, somehow I will find the time to clean the house up for my sister's visit and a million other things in the next week. Wheeee.

My randomness: This isn't really a whole vent, I'm just whiny: when V throws a big ol' fit about us stopping something, it makes me so less inclined to do fun things with her in the first place. Today I just brought out the paint with water stuff - you know, where it's water colors that they put the paint for on one side of the paper, and you wet it, mush the brush around, and then paint the picture? Well she's having fun for a while and it's relatively nonmessy, even if she doesn't quite get the concept and mostly dips her brush in the water then tries to paint the picture, whatever, but then she keeps insisting that *I* paint while she watches. and I'm nice about it at first ("why don't YOU paint? I want to see what Violet paints!") and then I get to be all like "Violet, I don't feel like painting" because she just keeps insisting, until finally just a meltdown. I feel like a crappy mom but sometimes I just want some space. Kind of looking forward to a meeting tonight because I get to put her in childcare. She'll probably get sick, though, and then I'll regret it. *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, man. I kind of dread Play Doh for the same reason. I regret ever showing her that I can make recognizable objects.

"Mama, make a doggie!"
"Mama, make doggie in a high chair!" "
"Mama, do baby Frank and baby Frank mama wear a hat!"

When I try to get her to play with it I get a grin and a "No, mama do it." Then when I try to put it away she wails "Nooo! Wanna play Play Doh!" YOU'RE NOT. I am and I'm over it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 pm 
Nooch of Earl

That's a more succinct, better way of putting it, Pinko. And it happens to us with paints, with crayons, with blocks, with play dough.. (though squishing her hands and feet in homemade playdough kept her busy for a surprisingly long time, I'll admit) With books sometimes she'll walk away, not really pay attention but woe be unto me if I stop reading!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

helbury wrote:
Parent guilt is the worst. A relative (without kids, fwiw) said to me while I was feeding H "well, I guess he'll be OK even though you aren't holding him while feeding". I have no other way to handle giving the twins breastmilk only with H unable to nurse. I pump and nurse C while bottle feeding H, so I have to prop him up in a boppy next to me to feed him. I know I'm doing the best I can, but I still felt wracked with guilt. I had felt so proud that I've learned to nurse, pump, and bottle feed all at the same time and that the twins have only had 2 bottles of formula their whole life.

i can't even. that is so horrible. i have been there, same situation [1 BF and one unable] and they do not have any idea what it is like. shame. want me to go whack them for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Helbury, I find it amazing and awesome (in that holy way that nourishing life from your own body is awesome) that you are able to breastfeed one and pump for the other.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

helbury wrote:

You are such a badass. I'm been a nanny for two sets of twins and both parents were very determined to breastfeed and ended up stopping very early--and I'm not saying that was a bad thing, I think it was the right thing for them at the time--but shiitake, twins are hard. It is awesome that you have figured out a system that works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 am 
Bathes in Braggs

If it makes you feel better, annak and pinko, it's just a stage. Tzipi was like that and it drove me crazy! It also made me not want to do crafts with her. Anyway, just now, at 3 and a bit, she will actually paint by herself! And make her own damn playdoh doggie! She'll even read to herself sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The other day, Raygold gave me a sticker facial peel. I probably seemed like the most awesome mom ever, sitting there with my face covered in stickers and then totally not complaining as they got ripped off one by one, but the truth is, I was so tired (just over 6 weeks until I pop!), I couldn't be bothered to stop him. And it did keep him out of the usual kinds of trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 am 
Semen Strong

That is hilarious, TCC! I can't believe its only 6 weeks till you have BabyCC! I guess we're going to be on babywatch for you and sashi at the same time!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:03 pm 
And you never will.

Well, we survived (narrowly) the drive to and from Nashville to drop mr. poopie at the airport. Plus we got to go to Trader Joe's and eat at my favorite Indian restaurant while we were there! So, that almost makes up for the insane meltdown that took place during the last 75 minutes of the drive home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ooh, what is your favorite Indian restaurant in Nashville? Is it the one just down the street from Trader Joe's?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:33 pm 
And you never will.

It's Woodlands on West End Ave! Is that the one you mean? It's maybe like 3 miles from TJs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I was thinking of Shalimar, although I've never been to it. Actually I haven't gone to any Indian restaurants in Nashville, as we usually go out to eat with the in-laws when we are there and they won't try Indian food.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Glad the trip (mostly!) worked out. I hope Mr. P's flight is a pleasant one.

This is very...well, first world problem or whatever you want to call it, but am I the only one who has noticed that the Netflix 'Just for kids' nature documentary section seems...not really that kid-friendly? I mean, we just watched the one on Siberian Tigers. It's with Mark Stouffer, who I assume is related to Marty Stouffer, so it gets mad props for that (I looooved Wild America as a kid), but it starts out kind of boring just talking about Siberian villagers.. And then mostly they're trapping and collaring tigers. OK, ok. One Russian biologist is keeping a couple of tigers captive in his yard that were abandoned as babies. Fine, whatever, they seem to be well treated enough. THEN it shows a couple of tigers mating - could lead to some awkward questions, but she's young, and I'm trying not to be prudish, so we'll let it slide. THEN one of the cubs that results from the mating dies because its mother refused to nurse it (a little awkward when I'm trying to cut down on nursing...). Then at the end of it the surviving cub gets plunked in a zoo halfway around the world (and worse, the middle of Nebraska), and THEN they show the biologists in a Siberian classroom passing around a *tiger fur*.

I feel like I'm kind of overreacting, and I certainly don't expect some sanitized, I dont' know, baby animals doing adorable things documentary, but....I mean, showing the tigers eg hunting wild boar did not bother me at all. But..ugh. I wanted something more about what tigers do in the wild, not how screwed up things get when they're in captivity, only it's necessary for the fyoooooture. Feh. /crankiness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
THEN one of the cubs that results from the mating dies because its mother refused to nurse it (a little awkward when I'm trying to cut down on nursing...).

Hahahah

I haven't watched those through Netflix yet, but we have definitely had some weird moments of nature documentary watching when all of a sudden the wolf pack starts tearing something limb from limb, or the polar bear and her cubs are all drenched in blood and the like. Then it's like, welp, let's see if curious George is on. I would generally prefer the cute baby animals variety of nature shows or, barring that, the kind where they leave a camera out in a field for five years and edit to the magical bits. I definitely would not want to see people interacting with wild life, I think that sends a pretty bad message. (I have a sister who is a biologist and messes with wildlife for a living and that also skeeves me out, don't know how I will explain that someday.) (oh yeah, and another sister who messed with and then kills animals "for science" in a lab. I am just never going to talk about what she does.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

In general, I do not like to watch nature documentaries myself, but especially now that I have had a baby. It seems that every documentary has to show the adorable babies and then one of the adorable babies dying/being eaten which now completely sends me into an evening long funk. I know that is NATURE but I can't watch it!!! I think March of the Penguins was my last "documentary" and I am still haunted by that mother penguin crying after her baby was hauled away by that giant bird. And the poor female penguin who didn't find a mate and wandered off into the frozen tundra to die alone...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I saw some show where a momma polar bear's cubs were running too far away from her, so she shouted at them and then shook her boobs at them and they came running back to breastfeed. I remember thinking, "I know how you feel, momma polar bear, I'm pretty sure I've done that, too."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 am 
Impressive boner

This morning BG was lying on the sofa with his hands down the front of his bottoms, then complained about his penis sticking up. I just told him that if he kept poking it he might make it sore.

I'm not ready for this part of development!!! What do you do when a boy starts noticing a new function his genitalia can perform?! We want to teach him healthy habits and don't want to start planting seeds for future thoughts about sex and stroganoff being dirty or wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

that is really funny Crabby!

8ball - I don't know how well I am going to do with explaining stuff when my little guy gets older - but the pediatrician I worked with was often called upon to answer questions and explain things to kids (and their parents!) and he would just say to the younger kid of kids that they might notice their penis change shape/stick up and it is because at different time more blood is flowing to it. Sometimes it happens overnight, or when you have to pee, or when you have been touching the penis, ect. It doesn't mean anything is wrong and it will change back to normal in a few minutes... He left the whole sexual arousal thing out for the younger set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 94  Next