| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 am 
Semen Strong

I belong to a few "Moms Groups" which are both really useful and supportive and a bit annoying. Here was an exchange:

P1: Did you know that female pigs are forced into gestation crates where they can't turn around or move? Its horrible!
P2: That sounds like a hospital birth, well, except that the lucky pig doesn't have to be transported 45 minutes, stuck with needles, strapped to monitors, given a vaginal exam, and no one asks her to fill out paperwork during a contraction. You know, on second thoughts, I'd rather have a gestation crate than a hospital birth!
P3: OMG hospital births are the worst. I am so grateful that we were able to have our DD at home, but I guess not everyone knows better.

Its straight out of Sanctimommy! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanctimo ... 65?fref=ts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Um...Wow. Yeah, it's so much better to be a pig in a gestation crate than to have a hospital birth -- they even take your babies away and eat them when you're done!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Poopie, have you considered skipping the bake sale this year? I know people donated money, but you could either return it or donate it to the bake sale. It just seems like a really good opportunity to get something off your plate on an incredibly tough week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:55 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Tofulish wrote:
I belong to a few "Moms Groups" which are both really useful and supportive and a bit annoying. Here was an exchange:

P1: Did you know that female pigs are forced into gestation crates where they can't turn around or move? Its horrible!
P2: That sounds like a hospital birth, well, except that the lucky pig doesn't have to be transported 45 minutes, stuck with needles, strapped to monitors, given a vaginal exam, and no one asks her to fill out paperwork during a contraction. You know, on second thoughts, I'd rather have a gestation crate than a hospital birth!
P3: OMG hospital births are the worst. I am so grateful that we were able to have our DD at home, but I guess not everyone knows better.

Its straight out of Sanctimommy! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanctimo ... 65?fref=ts

what.the.fork. Yeah that lucky pig. Ahhhhhh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Um...Wow. Yeah, it's so much better to be a pig in a gestation crate than to have a hospital birth -- they even take your babies away and eat them when you're done!

You get your "home" birth and you don't have to take care of the thing afterwards!!!! Win win!

(It raises my blood pressure when people imply that all hospital births are BAD, as I had two lovely births in a very forward thinking, parent-friendly hospital. Nobody stuck me in a crate!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks everyone who has offered moral support and encouragement. It's helping me keep my focus on getting through the next couple of days <3

mollyjade wrote:
Poopie, have you considered skipping the bake sale this year? I know people donated money, but you could either return it or donate it to the bake sale. It just seems like a really good opportunity to get something off your plate on an incredibly tough week.

I did consider it once I found out mr poopie would be out of town, but we don't have a big vegan community here and I will almost certainly be bringing around 50% of the baked goods. I just don't want to leave my people hanging, you know? I have a friend who has offered to bring her kids over after she gets off work tomorrow to help with poopieboy, so that should give me a couple of uninterrupted hours to get work done.

After I deliver this order tonight, things will slow down a little. I just have to make a 1/2 sheet cake for tomorrow, then meet a friend for lunch, then make 8 dozen mini cupcakes for another order, then start on the bake sale stuff (which I'm still not sure everything I'm going to bake for it). Then work the bake sale Friday evening, then bake some soy-free cupcakes for an order on Saturday morning, then drive to Nashville Saturday afternoon to pick up mr. poopie! YES WE CAN!

Meanwhile, don't ask how much TV I'm letting my kid watch this week :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
(It raises my blood pressure when people imply that all hospital births are BAD, as I had two lovely births in a very forward thinking, parent-friendly hospital. Nobody stuck me in a crate!)

Yeah, I had Beet at a midwife-led unit of a hospital and while I didn't like their "after 2 hours of pushing, we vacuum your baby's head" policy, the midwife fudged my notes to give me more time so I could have the non-intervention birth that I wanted and she sneaked (I was supposed to be asleep) into the postnatal ward after her shift to leave me a thank-you note for letting her participate in such a wonderful birth! (I also didn't get any IVs or needles or continuous monitoring and didn't have to sign anything during a contraction.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 pm 

ooh this stomach bug thing is totally weird...Dahlia was feeling much better last night, a little whiny but wanted to eat a little. And then this morning she was kinda warm but said she felt fine and ate somewhat normally, a little less than usual...but then it came time for lunch and she insisted on tofu scramble (the thing that she vomited up the first time), and after a few bites got puky again.
I totally thought it was over hmmph. Now I'm worried about whether or not she can go to school on Friday, and somewhat minorly worried that her main staple for afternoon meals is going to be traumatizing for her from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Aww... poor D. (And you guys too.) Sorry she's still sick.

Also, poopie, I need a nap after reading about all the stuff you have to do. Good luck with the bake-a-thon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 pm 
Semen Strong

I loved this: [url=http://vibrancylives.com/2013/04/24/how-bout-we-all-shut-up-about-each-others-parenting-styles-k/]How bout we all shut up about each other's parenting styles?]/url]

Audrey, that happened to us and our ped said it was quite normal for kids to feel a bit better and then eat something that irritates their tummies and makes it worse again. She said to stick with BRAT for a little bit (or very bland food) to allow the child's tummy to heal. We also had good luck giving her lemon ginger tea :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish, that link is hilarious. I feel like that when people get all weird when my kid is in a baby carrier -- one time sleeping Raygold's head was flopping back for a few seconds as I paid a cashier and collected my goods and this grumpy old man was all, "look at its head, you need to hold it up! yer gonnae break its neck!" One time someone told me Beetroot should be facing forward because he would get bored looking at me and when I said I liked to be facing him, she suggested I face him outward and get a wing mirror to keep an eye on him. She was serious. Another time -- the only time I carried him forward facing -- Beetroot fell asleep and his head was almost flopping forward except I was holding it up and a cashier told me he might suffocate.

One time Mr Crabby was holding Beetroot, awake and looking around and nearly 10 months old, and this lady walked past and said he was holding the baby wrong and he needed to support the head. He just kind of looked at her in surprise, since Beety was so old and she said, "yer gonnae break its neck!"

OT -- I think "clean when the baby cleans" from that other article is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am 

this stomach bug is still with us. I know it's normal but D goes through these extremely teary or whiny phases and then is ok. She also wants to eat but most of the time tries to insist upon stuff that I know will make her ill - tater tots? seriously? no! I mean, if it was just a cold or something I'd happily give her some comfort food like that but I know that greasy foods when you have diarrhea = NO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, tater tots! I'm pregnant and hungry and susceptible to food suggestions. Tater tots don't even exist here, alas. I want to eat a whole tray of tots all by myself right now.

(Sorry your kid has a stomach bug.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am 
Married to the wolfman

I love tater tots, but they make me a little queasy even on a calm stomach!

E and his "best friend" (an older girl at school) are quitsies again... He says "she said something mean to me, so I said something mean back, so she said something REALLY mean to me" and that he doesn't want to repeat any of what was said. This morning he was playing with one of his stuffed animals and announced that it has the same name as his friend, and then he was telling it: "the other M at school doesn't want to be my friend anymore. You can be my M instead." and then he launched into a little conversation with it about how its day was etc.

It's kind of heartbreaking to watch him have these first throes of social drama, but also kind of funny. (It would be a lot funnier if he wasn't so genuinely sad.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 am 

haha sorry Crabby!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My 13 year old neighbor ran over to me when she saw us go out in the yard to tell me she had her first kiss! I asked her how it was and she told me it was kinda awkward in the hallway in front of a bunch of other kids, and I told her I was glad because my first one was terrible (at 14 my friends guilt-tripped me into dating this guy I had no interest in and he shoved his tongue down my throat and I almost barfed!). I asked her if she told her mom, and she was totally shocked and said I was the only grown-up she would tell because I'm "cool."
But do I want to be cool? Is this a bad road I'm going down? We have lots of neighbor kids that come play in our yard (ages 4-15) and they tell me all kinds of things, sometimes heavy (citizenship issues with their parents, peers and relationships, drinking and drugs, cutting and running away)... I love that it's a safe space for them, and I haven't questioned my interactions with them until yesterday. Am I totally over-thinking this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:00 pm 
Semen Strong

I think its great! One of my friends is that person (the "Cool Mom") for all her daughter's friends, and it doesn't mean that she is super-permissive, just that she actually listens to them in a way that makes them feel valuable and on occasion empowered. I think all kids/teens need a safe adult that they can talk to, because otherwise its just them and their friends making stuff up. I got my safe adults through the church we belonged to and they were an amazing part of my childhood and adolescence and then we moved to the US and I had no safe adults and it was so hard.

If you feel like you're uncomfortable with some of the stuff you're hearing, you can always ask them if they have any adult support that they can talk to about it, because you're a little worried about them. Or cross that bridge when you come to it.

They are lucky to have you! And it'll be great practice for when your baby is a bit older :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:06 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I also think it's great. I had a couple safe adults as a teen who were really valuable to me. I think kids are so worried about their parents judging them that it's easier to tell a third party.

If you hear something heavy that you think you shouldn't keep to yourself, you can always still be the grown-up in the situation and help facilitate the kid telling the parent or let the kid know that you have to let someone else know because you care about them and want to keep them safe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thanks, Tofulish and Ariann! That's what my gut told me, but sometimes those silly nagging "don't be your mom" feelings pop up... she was present only physically so it was totally, "do whatever the hell you want." Luckily, I made mostly good decisions, but that wasn't the case for my younger siblings and they're still struggling now in young adulthood.
Big difference between permissive vs. valuing and empowering. Thanks for helping me to clarify that in my own head :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Yay!

I am going to grumble because I am sad for the way we compare themselves to others as parents. I posted something about L and a friend of mine, who is an amazing mom and totally inspires me, posted a nice compliment about L and then followed it up by saying it made her feel like a neglectful parent because her daughter isn't as advanced in using language. And I get how the comparison of our kids is so insidious because everyone does it, and one of our babyfriends speaks so well its kind of insane - like speaking in full complicated sentences and clearly enunciating words with Ls and Rs and other hard sounds, and I know it makes me feel like I don't read to L enough or work hard enough on her speech or maybe if I had her in daycare she'd be there too, even though I know that its because all kids develop at different rates, not because one mom or kid is better than the other. Plus I notice that if one person puts their kid down, then I automatically put Leela down to make them feel better, which is horrible.

I feel like we all get so much pressure from other people as it is, so why not all just compliment each other without feeling the need to put ourselves or our kids down. Anyway, I deleted her post and we had a nice exchange about how we inspire one another, which was nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tofulish, tzipi's bff is scary advanced in language. she sounds like a kindergartener. and sometimes i wonder if it's because she's home with her mom all day instead of stuck in baby jail with 6 other kids to one adult!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

littlebird wrote:
tofulish, tzipi's bff is scary advanced in language. she sounds like a kindergartener. and sometimes i wonder if it's because she's home with her mom all day instead of stuck in baby jail with 6 other kids to one adult!

E's verbal to an extent that exceeds a lot of kids we meet who are 2-3 years older. I don't attribute it to anything I've done or choices we've made for him... that's just what he does. Some kids draw, some kids climb, E talk talk talk talk talks.

I feel like the comparison thing is getting less common as he gets older... when kids are really little, I think parents are just grasping for anything to talk about sometimes. Especially when it's like, a stranger. I think we all also want to make sure our kids are "normal"/"okay"/whatever other vague and not really meaningful word you want to apply there.

It's kind of hilarious to remember it, but I was worried for a long time because E didn't jump. He couldn't jump until he was well over 2! And I was like DID I DROP HIM ON HIS HEAD TOO MANY TIMES AS A BABY? OH JEEZ! and I was so so sincere in my worry, but it seems so silly now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

coldandsleepy wrote:

It's kind of hilarious to remember it, but I was worried for a long time because E didn't jump. He couldn't jump until he was well over 2! And I was like DID I DROP HIM ON HIS HEAD TOO MANY TIMES AS A BABY? OH JEEZ! and I was so so sincere in my worry, but it seems so silly now.

oh, haha. that was another stupid thing i worried about. tzipi JUST started jumping a few weeks ago and she's three. she's not very physically coordinated.

i think it's also a question of our generation wanting something special or extraordinary or advanced for our kids. like, every kid has to have some kind of talent... just being a normally developing kid isn't enough, they have to be really good at puzzles. or dancing. or music. or art.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

littlebird wrote:
and sometimes i wonder if it's because she's home with her mom all day instead of stuck in baby jail with 6 other kids to one adult!

Let's not call Daycare "baby jail". It's insulting to parents who use daycare for their children and is definitely not being awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Kelly wrote:
littlebird wrote:
and sometimes i wonder if it's because she's home with her mom all day instead of stuck in baby jail with 6 other kids to one adult!

Let's not call Daycare "baby jail". It's insulting to parents who use daycare for their children and is definitely not being awesome.

sorry, it's a long time joke with all my daycare using friends. we LOOOOOVE daycare (no seriously, i freaking love daycare).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 95  Next