| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 am 
Semen Strong

I think daycare can be awesome too! I wish we could afford to send L for a few hours a week. Whenever I hear about Guineapiglet's amazing school - vegan food, multilingual education and cool crafts, I think L would love the socialization so much. I try and make up for it with playdates, which is great, but she is such a social beast, I think she'd be in heaven with a bunch of other kids.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm 
Semen Strong

Today Leela ran away to join the daycare kids at the park, and was in heaven playing with them. It was so sweet. She would LOVE daycare.

And I just swore "fork a duck!" And she started singing "six little ducks" and doing her duck song. Mmmmmmaybe time to stop swearing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Hi PPKMoms! Sorry to butt in here but I know how smart you all are. I have a birthday party for a three year old tomorrow and so I need to find something tonight or in the morning (i.e. not via internets). What would be most appreciated? Easiest for me is a gift card of course; is that totally lazy? Or savings bonds.

I figure we will spend in the neighborhood of $25.

(The guest of honor is a little boy if that matters.)

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Clothes, books, legos, trucks. Something that involves dirt, sand, or water (gardening tools?).

I hate getting gift certificates because I lose them before I use them, but maybe other parents are more organized than I or go shopping more often.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm 

Ariann wrote:
Clothes, books, legos, trucks. Something that involves dirt, sand, or water (gardening tools?).

I hate getting gift certificates because I lose them before I use them, but maybe other parents are more organized than I or go shopping more often.

That's a good point about losing gift cards.

So, with legos and trucks -- I know he has a boatload already, is there such a thing as too many trucks or legos?

They also have a pool, but also a ton of pool toys already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I would say if you do a gift card, include a small toy or a book or something for the kid. A 3-year old isn't going to be very pumped about a gift card (although parents will appreciate it!) and, to me, the fun of giving gifts to kids is seeing them get excited.

Ariann's suggestions are good. It seems like when the weather is warm, we can't have enough sandbox-type toys (buckets, shovels, scoops, molds, watering cans, sifters, etc.). The same things also make fun bath toys (separate set).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

~Sz wrote:
So, with legos and trucks -- I know he has a boatload already, is there such a thing as too many trucks or legos?

They also have a pool, but also a ton of pool toys already.

From the kid's perspective, no, you can never have too many Legos or trucks.

And it's nice to get new versions of things like pool toys because they take a lot of abuse and sun and end up needing to be replaced eventually anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

At our house there is no such thing as too many trucks because they're the best thing that ever existed ever don't you know that?, but if he has a lot already, I'd go with books or maybe a puzzle with big pieces.

But really the most fun thing is to go to the toy store and wander around and see if you can find something cool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:30 pm 

OK -- cool, so the little guy will have an awareness of The New Thing (I don't think he really got it last year, but a year is a long time) and ya, I agree, trucks are the best! So, we will make the effort to cruise the toy aisle, it will be fun :)

XOXOXO
Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm 
And you never will.

I survived the bake sale! poopieboy was sooo good and played with some other kids there, and didn't have an epic hangry/exhausted meltdown until we got in the car (I'm counting that as a total win).

Now I just have one more dozen cupcakes to make tonight, then it's off to Nashville tomorrow to pick mr poopie up from the airport. I'm ready to kiss this week goodbye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm 
Semen Strong

PB you are so amazing. I really hope you get some down time and a superwoman cape for all you managed to do this week. You deserve it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm 
And you never will.

I couldn't have done it without my online support group! <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

littlebird wrote:
Kelly wrote:
littlebird wrote:
and sometimes i wonder if it's because she's home with her mom all day instead of stuck in baby jail with 6 other kids to one adult!

Let's not call Daycare "baby jail". It's insulting to parents who use daycare for their children and is definitely not being awesome.

sorry, it's a long time joke with all my daycare using friends. we LOOOOOVE daycare (no seriously, i freaking love daycare).

Oh good! I was hoping it was just a joke that wasn't meant offensively :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
PB you are so amazing.

This! I've been reading all your updates and I'm convinced you are robotic or something. So amazed at everything you accomplished and also, super exhausted just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:45 am 
And you never will.

Thank you <3 I am feeling pretty good right now, because I'm just sitting here drinking a cup of tea waiting for this order to be picked up, and my house is CLEAN (even the kitchen!) and the laundry is DONE (well, it's not folded and put away, but dammit it's clean), and I don't feel exhausted or like I'm dreading the drive to Nashville. I swear, once I get home tonight I think I'm going to feel like I just finished a marathon. And tomorrow, I don't have to do ANYTHING!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PB, I thought of you today when I made 2 dozen peanutbutter cookies (I would have made more, but I forgot to buy sugar and Raygold's birthday is in a week), 2 small lasagnes, and one big broccoli mac & cashew-ricotta bake. And that's got nothin' on all the baking you got done!

The kids have really been wild today while I've been trying to cook and clean and the living room and green bedroom are really messy at the moment -- I got the pack-n-play out of the closet and it had a little mildew on it (this area is terrible for that -- it is just damp damp damp here all the time and I feel like we are always running our 2 dehumidifiers), so I had to get a bleachy rag and wipe it all down, inside and out, all the parts, on my tiny balcony -- there's not really enough room for both preggo Crabby and the pack-n-play and my hips were hurting somethin' fierce with all the weird contortion involved. All the playpen parts are sunning now and I'm going to spray everything with a water-vodka mix tomorrow and sun them some more, just to be safe.

Bedtime for the kids in 45 minutes! Hopefully, I will be able to stay awake and get more cleaning done and maybe have time to make some no-bake peanut-butter oat bars (bonus: if you bake them, they turn into granola bars). This sudden compulsion to clean and stockpile food like a maniac is pretty crazy. Even when I'm not cleaning, I'm thinking about it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

I barely got out of the house today with fruit plate and dip for a pot luck. I have no idea how on earth you manage, PB! But I'm glad you were able to survive the week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 am 
And you never will.

Thanks you guys! Crabby - reading everything you've been doing while pregnant and taking care of two kids made me seriously tired. You rock!

Aside from driving through some pretty terrible storms (we had to pull over on the highway at one point due to hail and rain and wind, and when we turned on the radio we found out there was a tornado in the county we were driving through), we made it home from Nashville without incident. I was really looking forward to a day of relaxing, but the owner of the cafe texted last night and they are totally out of desserts, so I'm baking them a couple of things for tonight. I guess my day of relaxation will have to wait.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
Crabby - reading everything you've been doing while pregnant and taking care of two kids made me seriously tired. You rock!

Thanks, Poopie! That really means a lot. Most days, I just feel like I never get enough done.

I'm envious that there is a cafe near you that has vegan baked goods and it is SO COOL that you are their supplier. Other than the whole, "I have to work after my kid goes to bed because my husband is out of town"-part, it sounds really awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm 

Hey, just wanted to check in and say thank you again for motivating me to go out and get an awesome toy for the birthday party. We got him a Navy SEAL boat which is cool because his dad is in the teams and it should float and it was all very exciting! (I was afraid he would get like, 10 of them, but he didn't, so that was extra excellent.)

XOXO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am 
Married to the wolfman

M is sick today so I am hanging out with him until solipsistnation is done at a dentist appointment (and then I'll go to school). We're watching cat videos on YouTube for something mellow to do. He is SO in to it.

The first couple we watched were just of kittens. Then i put one on with an adult cat and a kitten playing. M got really excited and started bouncing up and down, then pointed at the kitten and started signing baby. Oh man. Does he know that kittens are baby cats?!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm 

F has decided now that she is scared of bugs (and has learned to say the word "bug"). Not "wah wah" scared but total freak out, claw mommy and pull her clothes off, bat-shit crazy, Exorcist baby head-spinning scared. Hanging the laundry today = a real blast.

FFS.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I hav the opposite problem. My kids like spiders and insects so much, they killed a fly by accident last summer by playing with it too much. I mean, flies are comedy gold to my kids, they just laugh and laugh. And spiders are funny, too. The first time I remember Beety seeing one, he was all, "OMG, 'pider! Where you goin' up the wall like that? Come back down!"

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 am 

Yeah, see I don't get where it's coming from all of the sudden. Neither K nor I are bug-phobic. We've jumped a few times when one of those planet-sized spiders scurries across the floor, but that's only ever happened after Freya's in bed. She's been really interested even up until 4 or 5 days ago in the spiders we catch and release (haven't had any in a few days). Maybe spiders are different? I've just never seen this in a kid so young exvept when they'be been stung, etc. There was a mosquito in the kitchen today and jeezus Pete, the drama!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 am 
Married to the wolfman

E went through a thing with cats and dogs (which he otherwise loves) for maybe six months around... 2? 2.5? And we read that it's pretty common for kids to develop weird animal phobias then. Maybe F is just a little ahead of the curve.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 97  Next