| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am 
Nooch of Earl

Vi is very interested in dogs, waves to them and shouts a little "woof woof woof" at them (which comes out 'uh uh uh'). But if one comes near her, she's clawing up me and screaming in a heartbeat. It's happened ever since a friend's dog came up and, like, sniffed her or something. Might've licked her (I doubt it) but definitely didn't bite or hurt her.

She's 21 months. I hope it passes, because it's going to make visiting family tough.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

oh yeah Dahlia now has this horror of bugs too...we started having that annual spring infestation of tiny ants and she has just been freaking out about it. With her though it's only when they're in our house - at the park and at school she is totally interested in them. Of course, I have a serious large bug phobia but it only extends to the occasional giant waterbugs in our oldass house and H is blaming me for the histrionics that are now occurring whenever a tiny ant crosses the counter...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Glad to know we're not alone at least. We spent the whole day outside today, basically, and had only one medium freak-out (aside from the mosquito this morning), so that's something. Lots of holding mommy's hand, reminding her that bugs only eat flowers, etc. She was able to focus on the "cool" stuff we were doing too...feeding ducks, watching the dancers, playing with her friend. I was afraid that this hysteria was going to get in the way of all of that. Feeling a little more confident now that we're going to be able to be outside and still have fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela wants to kiss all the dogs and cats. So she runs at top toddle towards them, chatting loudly and sticks her face in their faces and kisses them. Which is just an accident waiting to happen. I've stopped her so far, but she managed to chase one of our feral friends into traffic (and I just grabbed her as she was following him) with her affection, and she has macked on way more dogs than I care to think about would be sanitary.

So now we're working on stopping, asking, holding out a hand for dogkisses and then petting very gently. Mostly in theory. The practice is still L running and hugging and getting up close and personal with strange dogs and cats. Oy.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

The dog apprehension makes sense - imagine if a slobbery giant taller than you came up and tried to lick your face? That being said, BabyEnchilada had a scary dog bite to the face at 9 months (grandma and grandpa's dogs get put away when we visit now), and he has no fear whatsoever. He's crazy about animals and does this high pitched "oooo ooooooo" when he sees any. He even does it for bugs! Including spiders {shudder}.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 pm 

Tofulish wrote:
Leela wants to kiss all the dogs and cats. So she runs at top toddle towards them, chatting loudly and sticks her face in their faces and kisses them. Which is just an accident waiting to happen. I've stopped her so far, but she managed to chase one of our feral friends into traffic (and I just grabbed her as she was following him) with her affection, and she has macked on way more dogs than I care to think about would be sanitary.

So now we're working on stopping, asking, holding out a hand for dogkisses and then petting very gently. Mostly in theory. The practice is still L running and hugging and getting up close and personal with strange dogs and cats. Oy.

This is our problem exactly. And we cross paths with a lot of dogs in the city so I worry about it. I really have to hold her back from hugging every animal she sees. And we all know how much a cat wants to be hugged by a toddler...it's a conversation you can't have too many times it seems.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I hear you! On the one hand, its nice that they are so unafraid, but people don't always have great judgement either. So someone told us to go ahead and pet the dog, and only later mentioned that his dog had never been around kids before. She was lovely, but it was a great reminder that you can't assume that people really know how their dog will react, especially if you have another dog present.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Do people ever give or try to give your kids candy? I mean random people! It's happened to us more than a few times and has happened twice this year. Half the time the candy is vegan (but I don't let my kids have candy (I do let them have dark chocolate and the occasional treat of these vegan chocolate minty bon-bon things when they are on clearance at the Co-op) -- I don't eat candy, either, so it's not like I'm a big hypocrite -- and boiled sweets (hard candies) are a choking hazard), but sometimes the candy isn't vegan and it puts us in an awkward social situation.

One time an old man gave Beety a boiled sweet and another time this museum curator gave Beety a boiled sweet for finishing this kids find-the-figurine-hunt, and I know there was at least one more boiled sweet incident, not a huge deal -- my husband was able to pocket the candies and Beety forgot about them. But one time, this guy bought some chocolates for my kids because he thought they were cute and he really freaked out and got upset when I politely thanked him, but declined and said they had a dairy allergy (I was trying not to hurt his feelings and didn't want to get into the whole vegan thing, which people seem to take more offense at than an allergy). And yesterday, the ticket collector on the ferry gave Beety a KitKat before my husband realised what was going on (I wasn't there, Raygold and I stayed at home) and my husband had to take it away. Beety kept saying he was hungry and wanted to eat, say, some chocolate that Daddy had in his pocket, and my husband had to just keep saying no

Beety handled the KitKat thing okay, but only because I let him have two of these fancy mint-chocolates of mine instead. I explained to him that the chocolate wasn't vegan and that the ferry ticket guy didn't know we are vegan. Cue Raygold saying, "he a bad man!" and me saying, "no, he's just different...and not vegan."

I really don't see how I could be handling this any better or differently, but feel free to offer any advice and let me know if this happens to any of you. It kind of stresses me out -- I'm worried as my kids get older, someone will eat something totally not vegan before I can stop them (if they pop a boiled sweet, I won't die or anything, but I'd still rather they didn't have them, either). I know these people are well-meaning and I'm trying to preserve their feelings, too.

P.S. I hate boiled sweets. It's just a personal-thing, but BLECH. They make my teeth feel hairy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 am 
And you never will.

Crabby, I was bemoaning the exact same thing just two days ago! People are constantly trying to give poopieboy candy. We do have some suckers from Whole Foods that I will let him have occasionally, but someone gave him a boiled sweet last week and I had to take it away (do people not understand the concept of toddlers CHOKING??), and poopieboy is STILL talking about the "round candy" and how I took it away (I am so mean). Then we went out to eat the other day and the server brought poopieboy some ice cream as a treat without asking us first. Who does that?? We played the allergy card, and he apologized, but if he had just ASKED FIRST I wouldn't have had to deal with teh sadz that resulted from ice cream being put in front of my kid and then taken away. I would never even think of giving something to a kid without asking their parents first!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 am 
Nooch of Earl

In Japan people were giving Vi all kinds of random stuff, including chocolate covered almonds. I just said thank you and pocketed the candy, because I don't speak enough Japanese to politely decline. She's young enough that they give it to me and not her, though. I'm afraid to travel in a couple years!!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am 
Semen Strong

The nice people at Trader Joe's give her stickers which for the longest time, she just tried to eat. And then she gets upset when I take them away, so I grab one of their overpriced fruit leathers to distract her. Hmmm - plot to sell overpriced fruit leather?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
Crabby, I was bemoaning the exact same thing just two days ago! People are constantly trying to give poopieboy candy. We do have some suckers from Whole Foods that I will let him have occasionally, but someone gave him a boiled sweet last week and I had to take it away (do people not understand the concept of toddlers CHOKING??), and poopieboy is STILL talking about the "round candy" and how I took it away (I am so mean). Then we went out to eat the other day and the server brought poopieboy some ice cream as a treat without asking us first. Who does that?? We played the allergy card, and he apologized, but if he had just ASKED FIRST I wouldn't have had to deal with teh sadz that resulted from ice cream being put in front of my kid and then taken away. I would never even think of giving something to a kid without asking their parents first!

OMG, ICE CREAM! That scene would have both my kids in tears. Beet would have had a forking MELTDOWN of epic proportions. I mean, Raygold is usually the one full of teh woe, but if Beetroot gets upset, it is monstrous and sad.

I was lucky when Bert was given a boiled sweet the first time because he didn't know what it was. Are we just of a small few who think it's weird to give candy to strangers? Is this our punishment for having cute kids?

My SIL is totally not vegan, but her son is allergic to eggs and dairy (and peanuts, traces of which seem to be in every friggin' candy bar ever), so I can see this happening to her, too, except her allergy card is legit -- I hate having to lie, but people are weird about choosing not to eat dairy vs not being able to (some girl bought me a shot once that had some creme de something in it and when I said I was vegan, she got sassy and was all, "do it for me, honey," but got SO apologetic when I told her I had a dairy allergy, too).

In other news, I am trying to bake a cake for Raygold and the forking centre WILL NOT BAKE. I have it covered in tin foil now and turned the oven down and it's been in there for over an hour and a half. I could have winged a cake or done a wacky cake (which I think I will do, since this cake might not make it) and it would be done and fine, but I thought I would be nice and follow a recipe, since Raygold wanted an orange cake.
ETA: Just talked to Mr Crabby about it and we decided to just have shitty cake today and I'll bake another orange cake for tomorrow. I hope my frosting turns out well. It looked okay and tastes fine (and I let the kids lick the beaters), although it was a bit soft (I have it in the refrigerator now).

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 am 
Nooch of Earl

For those with toddlers and ipads, I totally didn't know about this feature until today, and it makes life so much easier.

You can lock it in a single app and disable parts of the screen. Yay!

http://igamemom.com/2013/02/20/how-to-l ... n-the-app/

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:17 am 
And you never will.

I use the guided access on my iPhone all the time! It really is great (especially for apps that don't have pop-up ads)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks, annak! That is awesome and I had no idea it existed.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my inlaws have been here all weekend and if i make it through the entire weekend without blowing my brains out i would like a prize please.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Haha LP! Hope they leave soon!

We went on a retreat over the weekend for my work and there were about thirty kids there (and their parents and some other adults) and Malka got fawned over like crazy. She had the best time and it was so nice to have a little village to watch her throughout the weekend and for her to get so much stimulation from other people and nature. She made me hold her through parts of the retreat that I was leading, which was tough, but generally was happy not to cling to either of us and to hang out with whoever wanted to play with her.

We just got home and she busted out some random perfect sentences for the first time. She did her fake scream and then said "I scared you." Then she put her stuffed dog on the potty and said "my puppy's peeing." Totally clearly.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, LP, I heard so many in-law and parent visit nightmare stories, I tried to have a ban on visitors for 3 months after I had Beety (had to see the in-laws after 4 weeks and had to see my parents after 2.5 months, though). Here's a sampling of what I had to hear from both my mom and MIL.
"You're doing it wrong! And by it, I mean everything."
"I will one-up any parenting story you have."
"Let me help you with the baby by reading it one book while you cook for and clean up after me."
"Your baby cries a lot."
"You breastfeed too much."
"You gained too much weight when you were pregnant."
"You're too skinny for someone who had a baby, I hate you."
"I look creepy while I hold your baby." <-- This applied to both. They both looked really forking creepy holding my kid, like they were secretly planning to leave with it the moment I let my guard down.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
Crabby, I was bemoaning the exact same thing just two days ago! People are constantly trying to give poopieboy candy. We do have some suckers from Whole Foods that I will let him have occasionally, but someone gave him a boiled sweet last week and I had to take it away (do people not understand the concept of toddlers CHOKING??)

I once had a woman at a gas station offer Silas a bag of popcorn when he was maybe 8 or 9 months old and she got pissy with me when I nicely thanked her but said he was too little for that still. She played the "I WAS RAISED ON THIS and I'm just fine!" card and I didn't even know what to do with that. That is one response that I always nod and smile at because you can never reason with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
my inlaws have been here all weekend and if i make it through the entire weekend without blowing my brains out i would like a prize please.

I am PRAYING for you. I mean, I don't actually believe in praying, but in times like this...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:16 pm 
And you never will.

Kelly wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Crabby, I was bemoaning the exact same thing just two days ago! People are constantly trying to give poopieboy candy. We do have some suckers from Whole Foods that I will let him have occasionally, but someone gave him a boiled sweet last week and I had to take it away (do people not understand the concept of toddlers CHOKING??)

I once had a woman at a gas station offer Silas a bag of popcorn when he was maybe 8 or 9 months old and she got pissy with me when I nicely thanked her but said he was too little for that still. She played the "I WAS RAISED ON THIS and I'm just fine!" card and I didn't even know what to do with that. That is one response that I always nod and smile at because you can never reason with it.

I once got so irritated with someone who played the "I did it when I was a kid and I turned out fine!" card that I said sonething like "and people survived blood letting, but I doubt you'd line up to have it done, would you?" I really live up to my username sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm 
And you never will.

Sorry about typos. I'm on my phone and basically suck at typing on this thing :/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kelly wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:

I am PRAYING for you. I mean, I don't actually believe in praying, but in times like this...

OHHH yeah. Big huge +1 right here.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
I once got so irritated with someone who played the "I did it when I was a kid and I turned out fine!" card that I said sonething like "and people survived blood letting, but I doubt you'd line up to have it done, would you?" I really live up to my username sometimes.

Yeah, my dad pulled that line when I asked my mom not to smoke around Beetroot when he was 2-1/2 months old. I was all, "it's a SIDS risk, plus, you said you wouldn't." And he was all, "Hey, my mom smoked around all of us when we were babies and none of us died."
(Mini rant, because that visit was traumatic -- it's okay for my mom to smoke (and drink excessively) around the baby, but I have to cover when I breastfeed in my own home because my boobs are mortally offensive. /mini rant)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 am 

Oh geez, the smoking thing. Going to visit the in-laws this summer...their living room is like a humidor. My poor babe's lungs! We are sleeping elsewhere at least. Whew.

F is going to be 18 months old in 18 days. Not sure how that came into my brain today.

Also, rain after days of sun ....so much muddy puddle joy I think I may faint from the fun!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 92  Next