| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 am 
Married to the wolfman

The smoking thing was sincerely one of the reasons I didn't visit my family when E was a baby.

(Now, looking at airfare for FOUR people to cross the country instead of 2, I feel some remorse about this.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This really is random, but I can remember as a child whenever I visited my aunt or when she visited us, I shared a bed with her and she (total chain smoker) would smoke in bed with the lights off. She would entertain me with the light of the cigarette...like it was a laser light show or something. Hmmm...but I'm alive so I guess it's okay (please note my sarcasm).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 am 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
This really is random, but I can remember as a child whenever I visited my aunt or when she visited us, I shared a bed with her and she (total chain smoker) would smoke in bed with the lights off. She would entertain me with the light of the cigarette...like it was a laser light show or something. Hmmm...but I'm alive so I guess it's okay (please note my sarcasm).

OMG, that is friggin' hilarious!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow, that is crazy, Butternut!

I just went back to work this week for the first time since before Z was born. I'm only working five hour shifts, and I've done two so far. Since they're evening shifts, my partner got to put Z to bed on his own for really the first time. (He's done it a couple times before, but I was home.) Anyway, it's kind of awesome to see them getting more one-on-one time, and Izzy has been really good while it's just Dad at home - even though Z cried a lot (which Iz hates, since it's loud).

Also, we've got some workers outside our apartments right now replacing the siding, so the boys keep going over to the sliding glass door and peeking through the curtains to watch them. Z loves seeing the workers!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My husband saw my baby's teacher grab another kid in a rough manner. We talked to the director about it and they were going to have one of the higher up teachers supervise her for a while. Now she's quitting soon. Of course we wonder if it's related. At least the teacher's assistants are staying. They are really nice and calm.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oi kimba, that is scary.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah. I talked to her about it too because she brought it up with me (after talking to the director) and she said she was trying to stop him from biting another kid. Carlos has been bitten a couple times in the past, but nothing major like what's going on in the biting thread. But they have certain ways they are supposed to handle moving kids and it didn't look like that to him at all. Anyway, I am glad she is leaving anyway, we didn't really like her that much to start with. Immature and keeps wanting to put Carlos in a box (not literally) and underestimating what he is capable of doing.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:14 am 
Naked Under Apron

Just had the biggest scare of my life -- I thought Mr Crabby said Beet hit his head in the (very large) entryway staircase, had passed out, and was not moving. I flew out of my chair and ran out the apartment, rushing down the stairs as fast as I could...and have never been so relieved to see an unconscious bird in my entire life.

Not sure a pregnant lady has ever run as fast as I just did! And it just goes to show I can't be scared into an early labour.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How terrifying!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Everytime I use new Hebrew words with Malka she looks at me quizzically and seriously. Hope I am not breaking her brain.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:45 pm 
Semen Strong

This is the coolest carrier!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Naked Under Apron

Okay, so you guys probably know that I haven't talked to my parents in a few years and that every so often they send my kids a package of crepe (re-gifted stuff and other used items -- I am all about second hand stuff, but this is mostly crepe). I have to go through it beforehand because some of it is just junk I don't want my kids to have, there is usually at least one broken toy, and some of it is totally inappropriate.
Nothing was broken this time and the used stationery stuff will come in handy for school. There were also some matchbox cars -- which is awesome -- my kids seriously do not care about toys except for matchbox cars and this one wee Hello Kitty dollhouse I got them from a charity shop when they were flipping out over it. BUT the really inappropriate thing this time (even worse than the thumb tacks and book of matches): a small box of bb-sized magnets! (They sent tons of magnety toys, but these were the most inappropriate.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wait, they sent them matches and thumbtacks? I can't even imagine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

Kelly wrote:
Wait, they sent them matches and thumbtacks? I can't even imagine.

Yes.

The matches (which are totally illegal to send in the post) were for those magic snakes that you light on fire and they turn into a big smelly pile of snake-shaped ash. Which my kids will love, but are also totally illegal to send in the post. (My mom sent me some of her prescription speed pills in the post once, so this is nothing -- at least if customs finds the matches nobody will go to jail.)

The thumbtacks were part of this big collection of (used) stationery-type stuff that they sent me (I recognised some of it -- including some of the used notebooks -- from when I was a kid!).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
the really inappropriate thing this time (even worse than the thumb tacks and book of matches): a small box of bb-sized magnets! (They sent tons of magnety toys, but these were the most inappropriate.)

Were they buckyballs? I love those. They were a huge fad a few years ago. If so, put them in the lockbox until your brude is old enough. They provide hours of creative fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 am 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
the really inappropriate thing this time (even worse than the thumb tacks and book of matches): a small box of bb-sized magnets! (They sent tons of magnety toys, but these were the most inappropriate.)

Were they buckyballs? I love those. They were a huge fad a few years ago. If so, put them in the lockbox until your brude is old enough. They provide hours of creative fun.

I had to google that. They're kind of like buckyballs, except they come in a few different shapes and there are only about a quarter as many, if that. I'm going to freecycle them and the other kids stuff the kids & I don't want, that way somebody can use them.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just read this and thought it was really good.
http://www.handsfreemama.com/2013/05/22 ... t-yelling/

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 pm 
Semen Strong

I love that, thank you so much for sharing. My mom was such a yeller, and this brings back so many memories.

I yelled at L today. Because I told her to put down my sunglasses, and she wouldn't and then she broke them. I just got frustrated and upset and I yelled, which was so shitty of me. I definitely needed this reminder!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's really rare that I actually yell when working, but I feel like I've been snapping at the 4-year old I take care of more than I should be, because her brother and sister have been especially difficult (they are in a stage where they each have several tantrums a day that last for forking ever and they are super speech-delayed so they can't communicate so I just have no idea what's wrong) and when I'm really frustrated and exhausted from that and she does something that frustrates me on top of it sometimes my reactions definitely aren't fair to her. Like sometimes I think I expect her to be an adult basically because her brother and sister are just so high-needs in comparison and I have to remind myself that she's a kid too. So reading that was a good reminder.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Have you seen The Orange Rhino, where the blogger takes on not yelling for a year? Its referenced in the article you posted.

I am sorry, that sounds so hard - twins just seem like such a tough challenge, esp if they are tantruming and speech delayed. L is pretty much a piece of cake - she communicates well and gets out of her upsets quickly, but I get upset when I have specifically told her not to do something and then she does it 2 seconds later (don't pour water on the bed will generally get me a glass of water all over the bed by the time I finish the sentence). Its frustration more than anything, but there isn't an excuse for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wanna be Leela's nanny!

In other randomness, I am officially the adult at library storytime who gets sympathetic looks from all the parents/nannies/caregivers because the twins are now the most out of control kids in the room. They used to be terrified of being in the room and just try to both sit on my lap (not comfy!) but now instead they run around the room screaming and knocking other kids over when stories are being read, and then when we're playing games one is running around sooort of participating (they don't really follow directions as well as average two-year olds since their language is pretty behind) and the other is terrified in the corner. I think we should keep going because it's good for them to be around other kids and listen to songs and books and stuff but it feels like an exercise in masochism at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I wish you could be Leela's nanny! You're the best!

And I so hear you on being that caregiver getting the looks. The nice thing is that everyone has been there at some point, so people tend to have *a lot* of sympathy for you and they're just glad not to be you today!

I hope the kiddos are doing better and eating more consistently, the feeding tube sounds scary!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

No no no...the Tofulish family is going to move to Oxford and then I can be Leela's nanny!
<<sticks out tongue at strawberryrock :p

SR, that sounds really tough. When I was at college, one of my nanny gigs was a 3 1/2 year old, then two just turned two-year olds. It was fun, but I'm so glad I wasn't doing it full time. Whew. Is there another caregiver/nanny that you might team up with at the library? Do you have a chance to do wild and crazy stuff too? (soft play, baby gyms, that sort of thing)

Thanks for the link, too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 am 
Semen Strong

Clearly the only answer is a PPK roving commune with awesome nanny-childcare provided by all of us! Guaranteed no dark sarcasm in the hallways. Only light sarcasm in the stairwells - or something :)

That article made me think not just about yelling at L, but also yelling around her. My partner and I seem to have our yelling under control at the moment, but I still often yell at the dog when he gets underfoot or wanders away, and that still startles L, so maybe I need to find another way to manage him on our dogwalks, even if that means getting up before B goes to work and walking him without L.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
I wanna be Leela's nanny!

In other randomness, I am officially the adult at library storytime who gets sympathetic looks from all the parents/nannies/caregivers because the twins are now the most out of control kids in the room. They used to be terrified of being in the room and just try to both sit on my lap (not comfy!) but now instead they run around the room screaming and knocking other kids over when stories are being read, and then when we're playing games one is running around sooort of participating (they don't really follow directions as well as average two-year olds since their language is pretty behind) and the other is terrified in the corner. I think we should keep going because it's good for them to be around other kids and listen to songs and books and stuff but it feels like an exercise in masochism at the moment.

Oh man, I went through this exact same thing with Silas. I cannot even fathom going through that with twins! You are a superhero for keeping it up. We ended up taking a break from storytime and focusing on his speech & occupational therapies for awhile. When we went back to storytime, he was able to participate and understand a lot better and still loves it. The Librarian for the baby group comes to watch him every week and calls him her success story <3

Have the parents for the kids you nanny for considered therapies for them at all? I probably sound like a huge advertisement for them because I talk about it so much here, but honestly, it changed our lives. Silas is SO much happier and is actually above level on lots of things that he was super, super behind on when he started at just under age 2.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 2123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 85  Next