| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:15 pm 
Chip Strong

Ha. The first time we went on vacation with Ada we spent a few nights eating take out dinner in the hotel room bathroom. We did get a ton of sleep though since we went to bed way earlier than we normally would.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

anyone got a home remedy for yeast infection? We saw the dr today and got prescribed creams...which I then proceeded to leave at the office. Hmph. I was hoping for something that might soothe her a little tonight because she is also getting molars and is SO uncomfortable as it is that I'd love to try something for overnight til I go back to work. Dr Google suggests possibly putting yogurt on the diaper area but I'm worried that the sugar in mine (So Delicious Coconut Plain) could make it worse! Did I hear from one of you mamas about a paste made of water + probiotic powder?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Do you have hydrocortisone or other anti itch cream? I find that helps ease yeasty discomfort in a pinch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If you happen to have gentian violet lying around, I think it came up during my research on thrush...but I would definitely research that one more first. Plus, it sounds messy. But it's sold at drugstores..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:51 am 
Saggy Butt

I have used bentonite clay successfully for yeast (I've only used it externally, though).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:21 pm 

thanks all...I did use some cortisone last night on her (externally of course) and it didn't seem too bad. By the way, this yeast thing started with one big raised bump on her upper vulva like months ago! It would get inflamed and white, and then get better again. It got especially bad recently and I blamed it on teething, which I think exacerbated the situation, but still...yeast...yuck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

This is basically a first world problem complaint, but we are on day three (of probably 7 days?) of having our gutted master bathroom remodeled. I need to give a lot of direction to the crew and make a lot of decisions (sigh) so we can't leave a whole lot, and Sven is not taking the loud construction/being housebound/sleeping in a different room/random water and power shutoffs well.

I know this will be worth it when we have a bathroom only 10 feet away when I have to pee a million times a night in my third trimester, but I'm going nuts right now. Any idea for things an 18 month old would find fun other than TV and iPad? Luckily it's not getting back over 100 until the weekend so we can be outside pretty comfortably, but being in the backyard all day is a bit much!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh yuck. Do you have coloring stuff? Washable crayons, pencils - Melissa and Doug make great coloring pads - sidewalk chalk, color wonder markers, aquadoodle, magnadoodle...oh and those paint things where the paint pad is on the piece of paper and you use water to rehydrate aren't *unbearably* messy. At that age V's favorite thing was making *us* draw different animals.

Get or make (they won't care about colors at this age) a big tub of play doh and let him have at it on a table. poke it with your fingers, make shapes (warning: you may spend the next 3 hours constructing animals out of dough).

bubbles if they're compatible with your indoor environment...

tossing around a ball

I've mentioned these books elsewhere but the Gymboree "Toddler Play" book is great for random games you can play with very little special equipment. It also has nursery rhymes you can do activities with along with the lyrics and stuff - I find that although I know a lot of the classic children's songs from my mom, I don't remember the lyrics most of the time!

If you don't mind a little mess to vacuum up later, you could make a wide, shallow tub of oats (or any similar cheap, edible non choking hazard substacne) and throw in some scooping toys..

Throw your own baby music class for one! There are a ton of play-along percussion songs on iTunes, I use my Music Together CDs but there are also lots of good classics (Mahna Mahna!) where you can just set out a tub of instruments - we have a couple little drums, it's a good use for those old Donkey Kong bongas all nerds have, you can fill plastic eggs with different rattley things like beans and rice and superglue them shut (obvs be careful, they can crack and spill into choking hazards, but if you're there and watching it passes my bar for OK), kid maracas/tambourines/xylophones, wooden sticks, whatever you've got, it doesn't have to be designed to be an instrument.. Anyway, you queue the music, set out the tub, and let your kid play for a couple songs making noise.

Blankets are fun - everyone holds onto an edge and you can bounce a ball on it, or you can tuck it under their knees and arms and make instant blanket swing (killer on the back, but V looooved it). Or get a big box (the apple boxes from Costco are perfect) and push it around like a train, or fly Sven around in the air with it! This will also give you a workout, fair warning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Do you have a water table or other shallow, big container for doing water play in the backyard? The noise sounds like it must really suck and I personally have a hard time staying at home when I know I might be without water and/or power for a chunk of the day - it makes me kind of panicky for whatever reason. Could you talk to the contractor and ask him/her to tell you what decisions might have to be made for the day so you can make a bunch and then leave for awhile?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Others..

Do you have blocks or stacking cups? That's prime tower making age.

If you have a small unused purse, you could fill it with random kid-friendly things and let him enjoy emptying it out and carting it around.

Assuming for outside that you have a water table or a kiddie pool or a sprinkler or such...make sure you have lots of little boats and filling/spilling cups..

Stickers are a little hard for them to peel off at that age, but maybe the puffy ones? One suggestion I ran into when I was looking for plane diversions is get a roll of masking tape. Infinite fun to peel it, put it on them, let them sticker and unsticker things.. and if it's just masking/painter's tape they can't do very much damage with it.

Give him a roll of TP or a box of the recursive-style kleenex (where one sheet pops up and you have to pull it out to get the next one). You'll feel like an environmental criminal and your house will make you look like the grinch who gave out spider rings for halloween, but it's a good way to keep 'em occupied for a few minutes if you need to take care of something.

ETA: I totally forgot that at that age, one of V's favorite activities was to take one of my old 1qt nalgene bottles like so:
and stuff it full of felt food from ikea, then empty and restuff. Very similar to the 'tub of pompoms' idea here:
http://www.babble.com/toddler/5-genius- ... -a-bucket/
(The rest of the ideas are maybe a little advanced for an 18mo)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Those are great ideas. Luckily we do have a water table and a sand table, and a sprinkler. And lots of toys/appropriated household objects. He's just not excited enough about the things he gets access to every day to let it divert his attention from the pounding and lack of good sleep over the past few days. Not to mention we are all sleeping in his room so our prime play space is being occupied. I feel super awful letting him use the iPad all day so I'm desperate to find other exciting things!

It's been weird -- we've had different craftspeople coming in at different parts of the day, so I've been having to talk to the framer first thing, then the plumber at 10, then the electrician shows up after lunch... I'm really hoping the parade of people slows down now that a lot of the demo/behind-the-walls stuff is done and we can go out to the pool or splash pad or something. I'm so not used to staying in our house in the mornings.

Thankfully we have four days of no work due to everyone wanting a long holiday weekend so I have some time to go pick up some new toys. I feel silly that I haven't really branched into art supplies yet. Or Play-Dough! I guess he's at that age now. And bubbles inside is genius!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

What I do to keep some of the shine on toys is a planned crop rotation. Most of them are out of reach in bins, and only come out for a little bit at a time. I have a fake food bin, a megabloks bin, a duplo box, a stuffed animals bin, a wooden trains bin, a blocks basket, an art bin, a music bin, etc. Large toys are rotated less often but get put in the closet for a while before they're taken out.

It's not perfect, and I'm not as vigilant as I could be about it, but it helps a little. She also loses enough stuff under the couch, behind her bed, etc. that it gets lost for a few weeks without any intervention on my part...so if your house is anything like mine, maybe you'll find new interesting toys if you move some furniture?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:56 pm 

yep annak, the infrequent days when we move the giant sectional couch is always a good day toy-wise.

other than that I've been forced to be kinda creative lately because it's too hot to spend more than a little while at the park. So, I've been being weird and saving "trash" or recyclables for D to paint! Hits so far have included a tissue box (she loved trying to paint the inside), those cardboard trays vegetables come in and I got really wacky and started saving the plastic rings that hold sixpacks together. My plan for those involves this box of long ribbons I've accumulated over the years (I knew I'd want em for something someday!) because I have some toddler art book containing an activity where you weave ribbons or cloth thru the sixpack holder holes. Perhaps this weekend. My only problem occasionally is not having an activity for Sierra during this - she likes to sit at the dining table while D paints etc but if I put toys on the table for her she knocks em off and then gets bored easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
Semen Strong

Blah gendered garbage on FB again. Did you guys know that every single baby girl ever sleeps really well, and only boys have a hard time sleeping through the night? I guess a whole bunch of baby girls didn't get that memo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah somebody tell Reffinej's relddot! (And boy do I hope that means something like 'riotous daughter' in Norwegian)

I have a friend who's a lovely person and doesn't make sexist comments beyond this but she's always talking about how, whenever V is able to do something on the early side, girls learn/do everything faster. (she has two boys) When really it's just pretty much OK that kids have different personalities and specialize in different talents.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Ooh, I'll tell tiny wu straightaway! I know she'll want to sleep through the night if it's what all the other baby girls are doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:59 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Audrey wrote:
So, I've been being weird and saving "trash" or recyclables for D to paint!

I don't think this is weird! When we were growing up my parents had a "junk box" in one of the kitchen cupboards where they stashed cardboard packaging, the insides of toilet rolls, plastic bottles etc. and on rainy/bored days would suggest we "made something interesting". I spent many happy hours with my siblings gluing and painting and making castles and rockets and so on from junk!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 am 
Nooch of Earl

Loved this:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... ly-speaks/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

jogirl wrote:
Audrey wrote:

I don't think this is weird!

I don't think it's weird either, just awesome! I save things like this for various child-related purposes. Yogurt cups, toilet paper tubes, and cardboard boxes: between my kids and my garden, that shiitake never makes it into the recycling bin.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

sashi wrote:
Ha. The first time we went on vacation with Ada we spent a few nights eating take out dinner in the hotel room bathroom. We did get a ton of sleep though since we went to bed way earlier than we normally would.

Glad it's not just us. I'm back in the bathroom. Sitting on the royal throne reading my book because she sits up every time I try to go into the main room. Ugh. Hotels rooms are not designed for people with little ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Butternut, I've been there! No fun at all. We used to take turns playing cards with Shae in the hallway after Silas was asleep so he wouldn't wake up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

coldandsleepy wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Audrey wrote:

I don't think this is weird!

I don't think it's weird either, just awesome! I save things like this for various child-related purposes. Yogurt cups, toilet paper tubes, and cardboard boxes: between my kids and my garden, that shiitake never makes it into the recycling bin.

We collect these things (and ask families to send them in) for school projects. This year we built an entire "sustainable village" out of recycled materials! Another class built scene dioramas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We loved trash when I taught preschool! F and I have been collecting toilet rolls to make puppets with too. :)

As for the sleeping thing...I think I just snorted out loud. F is doing some better, though it's a bit hazy with having been on vacation and now it's super hot here. Looking like we're going to get the one nap a day thing sorted out soon though, and I hope that will make some difference.

My randomness...Freya had her first popsicle yesterday. It was this pushup kinda deal and I wasn't sure if she was managing to keep it up okay so she could lick it. I asked her "How are you doing with your popsicle?" Her answer "(de)licious!" I didn't even know she knew that word. Also today, she will extend her arms behind her and run through the house saying "Fey! Fly! Flying!" She is so awesome. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh man, y'all. Sven had his first emergency room visit last night. We were just returning home from dinner yesterday evening and he was walking from the car to our house when he put his hand into the wheel of the car and hit his hand on the brake pad, which was still very hot. He got a nasty 2nd degree burn on the top (fortunately not the palm!) of three fingers and it was gross and white and blistered.

Jason ran his finger under cool running water and gave him Tylenol while I called our pediatrician's triage line to see if we should take him in. Since it was a burn on the hand they said to have it checked out, so we went to the ER. Poor guy needed to put his hand in a bowl of water the whole car ride and in the ER to be comfortable.

Luckily after getting it checked out the doctor said just to apply Neosporin and it should heal up just fine and not impede finger movement, but if we are concerned about scarring they referred us to a plastic surgeon, which I should hope we don't need! We also got an Rx for a narcotic pain med in case regular Tylenol wasn't cutting it, but fortunately by the end of the ER visit he was splashing in the water and asking for iPad and cookies so he seemed to be feeling much better. Today he doesn't even seem to notice it even though the blisters are breaking open and stuff. Kids are magic healers, I tell ya.

We did have to have a consultation with a social worker before leaving, which made me feel even worse about the whole situation! I guess it's mandatory for any child who comes into the ER with burn injuries, and even though she was super nice I still felt mortified and like the worst parent in the world.

And sadly we are supposed to keep his hand clean and dry for the next few days (uh...that will be easy) so many the fun ideas everyone suggested for activities to do while our construction is going on are out!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh yikes!! Sorry that happened to you, and exactly at the wrong time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 95  Next