| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mandy, that sounds scary! Glad to hear that he is okay. We're dealing with a black eye over here. Not quite so serious, but I swear I feel like people must think I'm beating her...she also scratched her cheek in the same fall (we think) and then bumped her lip the next day. Yikes, kid!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Poor Sven (and poor you and mr coot)! I never would have thought about the possibility of getting burned from a car brake pad. I hope Sven heals quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aww poor Sven!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:07 pm 
Chip Strong

Oh poor Sven :-(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Poor Sven and poor Freya! I'm glad if they don't seem too bothered.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks guys! You know, he has seemed totally fine ever since and so far it's healing up quickly. The hardest part has been getting him to sit still for the neosporin application. And poor Freya! How is she doing with the black eye?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:41 pm 

Good to hear that Sven is okay! Holding still is always to worst part it seems. Trying to put ice/cold cloths on babies when I nannied...Lard. F is happy as a clam, her eye is all shades of brown and yellow now, so looks to be healing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am away from my bebecito for almost 3 weeks while he stays in Costa Rica with baba (papá). We spent two weeks there all together. He was learning a lot of words there, both English and Spanish (and signs too). He started saying mama there too. I am sad to be missing his development during these weeks. I miss him already! I left very early in the morning so I got to see him sleeping when I left. He looked so cute and peaceful. My baby!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

aww 3 wks that must be so tough, kimba! *hugs*

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Aw, hang in there Kimba!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:07 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Maybe this belongs in the feminism challenging thread, but I was trying to look up advice on enrolling a 2yo in dental insurance vs paying charges out of pocket, and came across this wisdom:

"We added DS1 this year; he turned two in April. My dentist said he recommends girls start at 2.5 and boys at 3. Apparently boys are more difficult to get to sit still. I'm planning on taking him at 2.5 for a cleaning."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We have been on vacation for the last week; Will has barely napped and stayed up later than normal. We are finally home today and he is going on a 4-hour nap. I joked to mrdub that he is going to stay in there all afternoon out of fear it will be another week before we let him nap again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Maybe this belongs in the feminism challenging thread, but I was trying to look up advice on enrolling a 2yo in dental insurance vs paying charges out of pocket, and came across this wisdom:

"We added DS1 this year; he turned two in April. My dentist said he recommends girls start at 2.5 and boys at 3. Apparently boys are more difficult to get to sit still. I'm planning on taking him at 2.5 for a cleaning."

Wow. He clearly hasn't met my daughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 pm 

One day it will be the last time that Freya does that "I'm so excited" baby bird-wing flappy dance thing that some toddlers do. I'm glad that I won't know which day it is because I will be sad.

and that thing about the dentist's chair is just plain stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:46 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has become very, very persuasive. Her method of persuasion is getting in your face, tucking her chin so she is looking seriously into your eyes, and nodding her head while she repeats the thing she wants to happen over and over again. From "open open open open" to "ibup ibup ibup" (ice pop) to "paygound paygound paygound" (playground), this technique pretty much always has the desired effect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:00 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ha ha. M does a similar thing, but throws in "yes, yes" in between repeats of his "request." "Nudda book? Yes yes. Nudda book?"

He has started saying "me" when someone else has something he wants... He gestures frantically at himself while going "me? Me? Me? Me? Me?" ad infinitum. It is adorable right now but I expect we'll weary of it...

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm 

Inez is getting really good about asking before she does stuff, but I laugh because she always phrases it as a leading question starting with "that okay?" So like "Mama, that okay stand on there?" And if I hesitate she'll nod vigorously and say "That okay!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm 
***LIES!!!***

coldandsleepy wrote:
Ha ha. M does a similar thing, but throws in "yes, yes" in between repeats of his "request." "Nudda book? Yes yes. Nudda book?"

He has started saying "me" when someone else has something he wants... He gestures frantically at himself while going "me? Me? Me? Me? Me?" ad infinitum. It is adorable right now but I expect we'll weary of it...

Malka hasn't really figured out "me" yet. She says "you" after lots of verbs (because she hears us say "can I help you?" "would you like me to hold you?" I guess) So when she wants to be picked up she says "hold-you hold-you hold-you?"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Do you guys ever correct other people's kids who are being bullies?

My new apartment complex is full of families and the grassy area right outside my balcony is where a bunch of kids play, frequently unmonitored. Today I saw an older boy (maybe 8-9?) bullying a little kid (maybe 5? he was on a tricycle) and I wasn't sure if I should say anything. The older boy asked to see the younger one's ball (he was super devious too, he said he thought he had a similar one and wanted to see if they were alike) and the little one very sweetly handed it over, only to then have the older boy hold it over the younger one's head and run around making him chase him while the little kid pretty much lost his shiitake. Then finally the little kid started getting hysterical and the older kid threw it into the parking lot and said, "fine, you can have your ball!"

My habit is to never say anything, but man, my heart was breaking for the little guy and it's super forked up to throw a ball into a place where cars are driving. Also, all the families around us are Indian so I'm also unsure if culturally it's more or less accepted to say something to other people's kids. What would you guys do? (Also, I don't have kids, so I don't know if I'm stepping even further over some line.)

Oh yeah, one more thing. Every weekday from about 3 pm till it gets dark (so right now, around 9) and every weekend starting at 9 am the kids run around *shrieking* right outside our apartment. Is it out of line for me to ask them to stop yelling so loudly? I actually like hearing them play but it's suuuuuuper stressful to be surrounded on 3 sides by non-stop screaming. I would just close the windows but we don't have A/C. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm 
Semen Strong

I wouldn't make it a cultural thing - I think if you feel you need to speak up you should do so. I know I would! Fwiw I am South Asian, but wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for the entire S.Asian diaspora, which contains a very wide array of geographical, cultural, class, religious, education and other socio-economic groups all with their own ideals as to behavior and how children are to be treated.

I was in the playground and a little boy was pretending to kick and punch my dog, who was tied up at the gate watching. He happened to be Asian (most likely Han Chinese), and the father was right there watching this happen. The father didn't say anything, so I said "That is not nice. We don't hurt animals, even in play." And the father looked miffed and said "I am right here" to which I responded that he needed to have his son show respect. And then several other parents toned in that it was really unacceptable to pretend punch and kick a dog, plus its dangerous if the dog had been one besides my couch cushion of a pit-lab mix. I would think it would be doing a disservice to the child and the dog to not speak up, plus we're all in America, so even if there were notions about not intervening and causing the father not to lose face in China, I wouldn't think that my ideals of what is "normal" in China should govern how I treat the situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:04 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh, I do. I police other people's kids all the time, even if their parents are there. I try to let kids work it out on their own (and I'm mostly dealing with toddlers at this point but at the park we do have to deal with older kids being either oblivious, obnoxious or mean), but if a kid is being overly aggressive, victimizing other kids, or engaging in otherwise inappropriate or potentially dangerous behavior I totally step in and speak to the kid directly. I'll also make sure the other party is ok. I've gotten dirty looks from parents, if they are around, but I think someone has to let kids know when they're crossing the line.

As far as the shrieking at night...I think it's within your rights to say something about noise in the later evening, but during the daytime you may be fighting a losing battle. You can check into your city's noise ordinance to see if you have support, but ours only prohibits excessive noise between 10:30 pm and 7 am, so they're not always that helpful. Also, drawing from my experiences living in apartments, if you worry about potential retaliation by either the kids or the parents, you may want to tread very lightly at first. Hopefully most of the kids are generally respectful, though!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

I speak directly to kids acting inappropiately mostly because I can't help it (I'm a teacher so it's what I do all day). Yesterday I sternly told an older kid, "we don't push babies" at a museum. I didn't wait to see if his parents were there or not. I'll cross that bridge if it comes. He had pushed my toddler off her feet on purpose. I think i"t takes a village" and I'm willing to take that on with other parents if need be.

In terms of noise and your apartment, I live below some really noisy kids. It's so annoying because they live one the top floor of our building, so they don't know how noisy certain activities can be for others.... Before I complain, I consider time of day and activity. If its between 10 am- 8:00pm, I figure I can't really make a formal complaint. If they wake me up at 7 am, I immediately complain. Similarly, if they are riding a scooter indoors I complain, if they are just walking around, I put up with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:35 pm 
Nooch of Earl

If my kid were doing something like that and I didn't see it, I would want someone to speak up! I mean, not hit her or punish her - but saying something to her and bringing it to my attention would be perfect natural consequences IMO. Kids can get a little Lard of the Flies when left to their own devices. I think having bystanders react to this and told it's inappropriate by someone other than a parent is a HEALTHY thing for them to experience. I barely remember/feel ashamed about any times my parents corrected my behavior, but you'd better believe I still feel bad about times when my obnoxiousness bothered another adult.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thank you so much for the feedback! Based on what ya'll said, I think if I do see a kid being a jerk and there aren't any parents around I will try to say something.
Tofulish wrote:
I wouldn't make it a cultural thing - I think if you feel you need to speak up you should do so. I know I would! Fwiw I am South Asian, but wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for the entire S.Asian diaspora, which contains a very wide array of geographical, cultural, class, religious, education and other socio-economic groups all with their own ideals as to behavior and how children are to be treated..

Yeah, that's a really good point. I guess I was thinking that I didn't want to be rude, like it seems like here in the U.S. so many parents really get ticked off if you say something to their child and it definitely makes me think twice about saying something. I wasn't sure if there is a similar mentality in India (I didn't take into account what a *huge* country it is or socioeconomic groups!) and if it is I wouldn't want to make any of the parents feel bad or offended or think that I was being discriminatory.

Our quiet hours start at 10 but I don't know if what the kids are doing fall under that or not? It's just so crazy loud, like sustained top-of-the-lungs screaming. I swear, it sounds like someone is getting murdered and it only happens when the parents aren't around. I think I might wait until the summer break is over. It might just be super bad since everyone is out of school and going crazy. I'm never around younger kids; my only experience is with high schoolers so I don't know how to adjust my expectations! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:49 pm 

Sometimes when I have sweat bullets about complaining and finally have done it, it all makes sense once I do. For example, last weekend, I complained about loud noise before 7 am. It turns out, the parents were asleep and they had hired a babysitter for the morning who was clueless. Don't be afraid! If its not appropriate, complain or parents might not know it is happening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 99  Next