| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I police kids constantly. I think it's kind of our obligation as other adults in a community to help all the kids grow up well.

Parenting fail: my husband took Malka to spend some time during the day with her cousin, then dropped her at his mom's for an overnight. He forgot her eye drops so she missed her midday dose and was gonna miss her evening dose. So we had a party to go to for my work, we brought her drops with us and swung by my in laws after, adding about 40 minutes to our drive, and I ran in and put the drops in while she slept and then we went home. That feels ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I was thinking about this a bit more and I would hate it if someone saw L getting hurt or hurting someone and said "Oh I shouldn't say anything, because she's South Asian."

And I am noticing that on our block, it seems like the Black kids all end up playing together and the white/Latino kids end up playing together. I have been watching for a while, and its interesting that there are kids that are around the same age that really don't seem to interact much at all. Obviously it could be for many many different reasons, but its still interesting to observe, especially in the light of articles I've read that talk about middle school being a place where children are taking on their group identities, which includes a sense of which racial groups they belong to and what that means for them. And then I worry a bit about L, who isn't being raised with any South Asian identity, and wonder where she is going to fit in. A friend of mine is Filipino and she was saying that her 10 year old twins are just starting to be pushed out from their existing groups of friends, no longer invited to things etc. It just sounds really hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vax hadn't pooped in nearly a week -- I've read about breastfed kids that do that and was skeptical until now. The blowout was INSANE and NEVERENDING!!! I heard what sounded like a weird rumbling explosion -- no kidding -- from the other room and just knew he'd pooped. Then I heard a small popping sound and he did it again. And then after I cleaned him up, another popping sound and a big pile of mustardy poo. I'm totally TMI-ing you. :D Not sure if I prefer random HUGE, thick blowouts or several daily runnier blowouts,which is what my other two had.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I would love it if someone corrected my kid if they saw him doing something inappropriate. Mostly because I am usually overwhelmed because my kid is especially curious and not really afraid to try something once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So this really is random but I thought it was horrifying/funny and that some other people in this group might find it to be so also. I have a friend who recently started into the "birth" business. She is a doula, does childbirth education classes, and placenta encapsulation. She and her kids came to my son's birthday party on Saturday and she mentioned she had a placenta in her oven at home dehydrating for a client. Well she told me today that when she got home her house was filled with smoke and she discovered her oven at 500 degrees with a charred placenta inside...she said it was the WORST day of her new "birth" career to have to call a 3 days post-partum overly hormonal and sleep deprived woman and tell her that she had just totally roasted beyond recognition her irreplaceable placenta. Horrifying. Funny! But Horrifying... My friend said she has no idea how the oven got to 500 degrees, but she has already purchases a dehydrator to use for all future placentas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:01 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so interesting about using your oven to dehydrate placentas. I have to say that I'd worry about food safety issues with dehydrated meat, but I know a ton of people who do it, so it is probably fine. I just ate mine raw from the freezer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Unmmmm why did she leave her house with the oven on?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes well... I guess she felt comfortable leaving her house with the oven on low...but I guess this was a a great lesson about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, the ick factor on dehydrated placentas is high for me. Somebody posted something about it that made me imagine a dehydrator that was dirty and gross with hundreds of placentas and I want no part of that. I have my own dehydrator now so maybe? Maybe not.

Also I would have an anxiety attack leaving home with the oven on. It was a process for me to feel comfortable with the slow cooker on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, whenever I read about encapsulation, I thought it was a bit more hygienic and scientific than someone putting your placenta in the oven like kale chips. I'm glad I ate mine raw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

As far as the hygiene aspect, apparently the placenta is placed in some type of sterile stainless steel box she was describing - but I have no idea how it it is done in a dehydrator.

I have the same issues though with leaving my house with even the crockpot on. I always unplug my toaster...I am however attached to an apartment of two 20 year olds so I am sure I can be careful as I want but can still have my house burned down by their giant lava lamp they leave on 24/7.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm scared of leaving the slow cooker on when we're out of the house too!
Re: placentas, I just de-frosted mine a couple of weeks ago, put it in a pot and planted a kaffir lime tree on it, with some decaf coffee grounds mixed in to the potting mix to make sure it's an extra-hippy tree!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

annasrobbie wrote:
So this really is random but I thought it was horrifying/funny and that some other people in this group might find it to be so also.

You were right -- I LOVE that story. So funny. Bad for the new mom, but hilarious for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm alive!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I'm alive!

We haven't seen you for quite a while, right? Welcome back! How have you been?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I've been all over. Life is crazy. I'm good now, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 am 

This child never sleeps.

What the hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

if this isn't random then I don't know what is - Dahlia was awake a good part of last night crying that her face hurts. I think I've ascertained that it wasn't her ear, which I immediately guessed at because she's had a mild cold lately. So then I thought maybe it was her teeth (a cavity maybe?) but jeez it is so hard to get information from her about things like this. I feel terrible for her but I'm really confused as to what this could be. In any case, after she got up twice I gave her some ibuprofen and she went back to sleep and this morning she was fine. But you bet I laid awake for hours wondering what the hell was going on. I guess it's time for her to have a first dental visit but I'm still pretty sure her teeth are fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:48 pm 

Aw, that sounds so frustrating for both of you. Could she have had a headache?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Not even 2 hours of babysitting and this 16 year old girl got 25 of my hard earned dollars... I have officially be ushered into the world of a simple dinner out without the offspring costing $90. Yikes!

Anyone have their mild mannered baby turn into a moody, whiny-pants, who doesn't want to sleep when they turned 1? Giles has started having screaming fits for no apparent reason (or if he hears the work NO, or sees me shake my head, or yesterday when my husband ate a piece of fruit off of his tray...) I am really hoping this is a short phase that will go away? Please someone tell me yes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:19 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

refinnej wrote:
Aw, that sounds so frustrating for both of you. Could she have had a headache?

apparently the pain was located on the side of her face. She told Howard yesterday that it was her cheek. I have no idea what it could've been and she's been fine ever since that night, but I just found out our crappy health insurance covers 1 trip to the dentist per year so I'm gonna do that ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

heres a good story in government "efficiency" for the day.

BabyPunk has what's called infant torticollis. basically all it is is a tightening of the neck muscles on one side causing them to predominantly look in one direction and tilt their head slightly. BabyPunk prefers looking to the right. one of the theories is that they are crammed tightly in the womb and that's why their neck muscles are tightened on one side. or possibly trauma from being birthed. anyways it's not a big deal but it's MUCH easier to fix the younger you catch it. it just needs a little physical therapy to correct it.

i dont know if this is the same everywhere but in MA it's done through something called Early Intervention that is run through the MA Dept of Health. it's a free service if you qualify.

so for the original evaluation they sent FOUR people to my house. a social worker, a physical therapist, and TWO SPEECH therapists (for my 3 month old!).
we did a bunch of paperwork and they evaluated her and they said it would probably take TWO WEEKS before they called me back with a plan. why it takes that long to say we need to do simple physical therapy to loosen her neck muslces is beyond me.
so then Monday i get a phone call saying they need to come back to do MORE paperwork. that's right 2 weeks pass and they still dont have a plan but we need to do more paperwork.

so this time TWO people came to my house. one of the speech therapists came back and then a new physical therapist. the paperwork we had to do was bonkers. they asked me a ton of questions that dont apply.
they were like essay questions like "describe your family and your child and your goals for them" HUH?
what are my child's strengths? (shes 3 months old! she's great at pooping!)
then they went over this whole thing about how they transition to the SCHOOL SYSTEM when the time comes.
SHE HAS SLIGHTLY TIGHT NECK MUSCLES!!! WE WILL NOT BE NEEDING THESE SERVICES BY THAT TIME!!

i was biting my lip the entire time not to inappro[riately laugh through the whole thing. so ridiculous!
finally they are coming back next week to actually start therapy!

i know they have to do the same paperwork for everyone and probably alot of families/kids in the early intervention program have bigger issues BUT DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Wow, that sounds really crazy! That condition is so common and here the ped just sends you and your kid to physical therapy. Really sorry you have to deal with such an inefficient system.

Starting next week sounds good though. Good luck!

Last edited by Mihl on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:34 am 

It is amazing how much bull shiitake it can take to get services for kids. Last year I started the process in (september) to get one of my students a service and do you know when it was approved and ready to start? The last week of school. In June.

You really have to be a squeaky wheel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LP, I know how annoying that must be, but it is kind of making me giggle, too. Please list your baby's strengths and weaknesses. Strengths: eating, peeing, pooping, crying, turning head to right. Weaknesses: sleeping, turning head to left.

Also, why did you need a social worker?!! That kind of stuff makes me so paranoid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 95  Next