| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:30 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I know right? I have them the "you're kidding me right?" Look.
I said she was a good eater, had good head control, and was getting good at grabbing things. They repeatedly asked me what my goals for the program were and I was like "uh look both ways?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh and the social worker thing makes me paranoid too. i cleaned the whole house the night before and made sure i vacuumed up all the damn dog fur. though to be honest i think it's prety standard. she did the interview with me and filled out the forms and asked about health history for me and the punker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:08 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have to admit that I laughed too at "goals". "Look both ways" is great.

When F was admitted to the hospital after birth, we actually took a photo of her patient file because it listed things like her religion ("unknown"), marital status and our favorite, occupation ("baby"). Being a baby was her job. Damn straight. :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Almost hired a new nanny for Malka. Her name was also Malka. But then we decided we didn't like her.

So tomorrow we're interviewing a new potential who is apparently way into homeopathy and anti-vax. But upside - she's vegan (like for real, actually)! So we're gonna have to school her a little and see if we can make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yay vegan! Good luck blinding her with science!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 pm 

Dah! Thomas Dolby ear-worming me now!

Good luck with the nanny search. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Good luck with the nanny!

So Z needed his immunizations, so we went in today to the clinic. We missed his 6 month one, oops! So he need FIVE today. (One from 6mo and 4 for 12mo.) Last time we went, he got 3, and he didn't cry. This time he's so much more aware, and he hates being restrained. He cried through each one, and was clingy as we went to the waiting room afterward, but as soon as I offered him to nurse, he seemed fine. Like so fine that he didn't want to nurse at all, but just play instead. When we got home, he took a 2.5 hour nap, and then he helped me make potato salad (for real! he put all the cucumber pieces into the bowl for me without being asked. So cool!) And otherwise, he's just been totally normal. Yay. I'm so glad he's not having any reactions, other than being a bit tired.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:33 am 
***LIES!!!***

I think the vegan nanny is a go. We spent two hours in the park with her and are having her come over to our place next week to interact with Malka there. Malka liked her, but Malka kinda likes anybody who pays attention to her and is willing to engage in physical play. Unlike some of our nanny interviews, she came wearing an outfit she could actually interact with a child in (we've had some come in high heels and big, dangly earrings). She seems to get our gender-free outlook on child-rearing and our attitude of "kids are supposed to play and explore and get dirty." She way, way outvegans us (like, doesn't eat in non-vegan restaurants, asks about the sugar, asks about the glue in shoes, etc.). So that will either be great because we will have no vegan worries or will be totally annoying because she will be silently judging us all the time (although she seemed very nonjudgmental and respectful of my senior veganity). She made no mention of weird anti-science ideas, I think my husband sufficiently scared her off of such conversation during their phone call.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 am 

Freya learned today, after many many days of trying, to pull herself up out of the side of the pool. I was so happy for her, and then I started to cry, right there in the pool, thinking of my sister, who's been dying to teach her to swim. I miss my family so much some days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So -- the train ride home yesterday. I think we deserve a medal or something. Beet had been acting weird all morning -- we didn't do the two kids eat free with one adult (bargain!!) breakfast I'd been looking forward to all week because he wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. Eventually, he tried to get up and then laid on the floor on Mr Crabby's hat. He didn't even play on the trampoline at Mr Crabby's friends' place and didn't eat much at all -- just a piece of bread, some hummous, and juice. Well, a couple of hours after eating two apples, a roll, and some cucumber on the train (we'd been on for a long while at this point), Beet started acting really kooky. His voice got all weird and panicky the way it did the last time he threw up, so I had Mr Crabby sit by him with a plastic grocery bag to barf in. Mr Crabby seemed wary that Beet was going to barf or that he could catch it in the plastic bag, but humoured me. Beet did barf, right in the bag, and then was fine. The bag was disposed of and there was no mess or smell.
I saw a lady's kid barf all over a train once (all over the mom, the floor, and the seats, but mostly on the mom and the floor) and they had to clear out the entire carriage for health and sanitation reasons and then there was no toilet on the train (it was in that carriage) and Beet peed in his pants because it was a 3-hour train ride, so it was cool that we didn't inconvenience everybody on the train.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That really does deserve a medal, crabby! Good call with the bag. I bet Mr crabby was pretty pleased that he humoured you!

I had to bus Iz to daycare today (normally I drive or my partner drives him), and then take Z back home with me. Since it's been so lovely and warm out, we decided to walk home on the trail - about 30 minutes, so not too long. It was SOOO nice! And Z fell asleep in the stroller, which never happens anymore, because he is just so excited to be riding along and can bounce and wave and look all over. (He did get to watch a train go by before he fell asleep!) And he slept right through me stopping at work to pick up a latte. Such a lovely morning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:05 pm 

If you're gonna spew, spew in this.

Moms and teachers are great with that. Good job, crabby!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hahahaha Butternut, that is the best, that is our go to barf line as well. Good going, Crabby!

Malka has been in daycare every day this week. Also although Malka seems not to care much, I feel very meh about this particular daycare. Thank God my husband doesn't have to work tomorrow, he got the vegan nanny to come over tomorrow instead and go swimming with them so he can see how she handles Malka in the pool and I said, if she's fine with that, please just tell her she's hired! I am so done with this. This has just been a totally crappy week with complete craziness going on at work meaning so many late nights and going in on my off day and then my husband working more than he usually does. Blerg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ariann wrote:
I think the vegan nanny is a go.

I wish I were a vegan nanny to a vegan family! I doubt she is silently judging you, she is probably super excited to work for a family that is vegan at all. I would love to work for a vegan, or just vegetarian family so much. Also right now I would basically like to work for any family but the family I'm working for because they are not paying me for a forking week because grandparents are in town and I should have negotiated harder when I was hired to avoid situations like these because I have no idea how I'm going to pay my bills. Credit card cash advance I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:03 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Strawberryrock, have you tried responding to SitterCity last minute babysitting ads? Alternatively: I don't suppose you're in SoCal by any chance, eh? Because right now a nanny for a week sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Strawberryrock is the best! I loved meeting her and I think you should transport her to SoCal for a week of vegan nannying!

OMG, seriously that would be the Best Thing. Well, short of her coming to NYC and vegan nannying for Leela. Because that would blow my mind.

Also, congratulations Freya on pulling yourself out of the pool! Such a big skill! Sorry you miss your family and friends nneJ <3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

annak wrote:
Strawberryrock, have you tried responding to SitterCity last minute babysitting ads? Alternatively: I don't suppose you're in SoCal by any chance, eh? Because right now a nanny for a week sounds awesome.

I have found jobs through SitterCity before, but right now my background check isn't current which means no one will hire you, basically, and I can't really afford to front the money. I wish I were in SoCal and could be your nanny!

I just need to be better about negotiating in the future, I tried to negotiate for a minimum salary when I was first hired and ended up taking the job anyway without getting my way because I really needed it at the time...it sucks when I know the $400 bucks I'm out right now isn't that much to them but is SO much to me. I generally like them as people but this is making me super resentful.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Butternut wrote:
If you're gonna spew, spew in this.

Hahaha! I'm using that line next time. XD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:23 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I agree - gold star for preparation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej, I totally hear you on that! Hands down the hardest part of being an ex-pat is being so far from friends and family. Way harder than language differences, especially when kids are involved.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Semen Strong

Saturday seems to be the day that Dads take their kiddos to the park. Some of them were really quite ridiculously good looking. One of them was super-cut, bottlefeeding a tiny baby and walking a giant pitbull while he was playing with his daughter. When did that begin to sound like the hottest thing on the planet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:17 pm 

Crabby, that is one eventful train ride! Glad Beet felt better!

Thanks for the kind words, Tofulish/Scandina. The bean is changing so very fast it seems these days (counting, speaking in some sentences, trying to swim....eek). I keep thinking that everyone we love the most is missing it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

kimba posted a chart about how much fluoride you're supposed to supplement with for kids of different ages somewhere and now I can't find it. Can someone point me toward it or kimba can you post again?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it was this one: ebd.ada.org/contentdocs/6327_Fluoride_Chairside_Tool.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 99  Next