| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks...I hadn't thought about wall mounting like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 pm 

We have a forward facing bookcase thing, too, but I just redid the girls' room (weird to type!) and replaced it with Ikea picture ledges that work similarly. But they don't hold as much, so some books will be in other places. I might paint our bookcase and try to use it in another space. I was going to get the spice racks but our Ikea doesn't carry them any more. I think they'd be better because the rail helps hold things in place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm 

Holy crepe do I have baby fever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So, I'm headed to a family wedding this weekend, and apparently there was some badness between my BIL/SIL and their nanny (V's cousin is ~20 months old). Anyway, it sounds like they were going to fire her but maybe she quit? I haven't even heard the full story. However, they have him in daycare since the beginning of the week, and apparently my MIL is upset about this and siding with the nanny.

None of which would be very remarkable if I weren't getting emails asking us to "talk sense into" my MIL and trying to drag us into it. Which I really just don't care to be.

So not only do I get to spend my birthday on a red-eye flight with a toddler and at family events for my in-laws, but it is potentially also going to have my husband's immediate family shiitaking all over it with dramaz. Oh and of course it's probably going to be one of those "stuff the pockets with lara bars and hope for the best" type events.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh annak,how frustrating!

My stepmother does that with my sister, but I avert it by playing dumb. Apparently I do it very well. #fulishlooking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:29 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh so more fun. That red eye flight? We didn't pick any seats but I just saw that United assigned us seats when we bought the tickets and my husband and I are in 37E and F while Vi is over in 38A.

Uh, I guess at least keeping a toddler entertained on a red-eye flight is going to be somebody else's problem?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
Oh so more fun. That red eye flight? We didn't pick any seats but I just saw that United assigned us seats when we bought the tickets and my husband and I are in 37E and F while Vi is over in 38A.

Uh, I guess at least keeping a toddler entertained on a red-eye flight is going to be somebody else's problem?

OR your husband and Vi could sit together, while you gather your strength with a little medicinal tequila and speculoos?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:22 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

annak wrote:

That all sounds terrible annak! But there is no way they won't let you sit together on the plane; we got stuck out in San Diego because of Hurricane Sandy here last year and when we did finally get a flight home they'd seated us separately (I think even across the aisle would be considered that) and I called the airline. Was told that it's against the rule for that with a child under 12 or something and that they would automatically re-assign us when we got to the gate if we alerted them to the situation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, I'm hoping it will mean a bump to Economy Plus at least, where there are still PLENTY of free seats. I think they just try to force you to pay for them when you choose seats online.. and that USED to be a perk of being premier but i guess with all the mergers maybe you have to be at least gold now?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ooh I hope that happens for you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am super loving my kid's school. We have some reservations and doubts about the North American school systems, and plan to really supplement what they learn in school, but it's turning out that we've got a really lovely school. There is a heavy emphasis on rewarding positive behaviour/redirecting negative behaviours, sex education starting from kindergarten (!!!, kindergarteners learn about keeping private parts to themselves, safety, etc) with really fantastic explanation (reduces negative impact of media, helps them make better decisions, etc). All of the kindergarten teachers have been so warm and wonderful, and they all seem to want to be there because they want to teach kids. Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:19 pm 

annak, that sounds really tense! The airline thing should work out fine. We're actually in the same boat for our trip next week (London to Dulles). There were *no* seats all together available for us when we booked a month ago. I figure we can just talk real loudly about how F hasn't had a nap and give her some sort of messy food to hold in her hands and then people will be clamoring to get away. :p

My random question: Didn't someone here post about a company where you could rent highchairs, portacribs, etc.? We're trying to figure out what to do for F's car seat while we're in the States.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

http://www.weetravel.ca/products.shtml

Oh wait... is that Canada only?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:47 am 

Looks like it is. Prices are crazy too. A car seat is what we're after. We could buy one cheaper than the rental price for 3 weeks. I think my folks might splurge for one (for future grandchildren too..I have two younger sisters) though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:29 am 
***LIES!!!***

Car rental places rent carseats, too. I doubt you need to rent a car to get a seat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

When we visited the states my in-laws "rented" a carseat from the hospital. They had it for a month and only had to pay a $25 deposit, which they got back because we didn't wreck it... so maybe call the local hospital and see if they offer anything similar?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a question about birthday party etiquette:

Is there a way to invite only a couple of the kids from Walter's preschool class without hurting the other kids' feelings? This party will be in our house (late November, so outside is not an option), so it needs to be small and manageable. I'm thinking 3-5 guests (and their parents). We'll invite a couple of kids we know from outside of school. But of the 8 kids in his class, I only want to invite the two he talks about and plays with a lot. Can I do that?? I would mail invitations to their homes, not distribute them through school. Since these kids are two and three years old (and generally pretty oblivious), I don't think they would discuss the party at school.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I just can't have ten toddlers in my house. I've seen suggestions online that you either have to invite the whole class, or at least all the boys, but... I don't want to. If all the boys came that would be seven kids. Maybe I should invite everyone and hope for a low turnout? What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Mitten, I think you're okay either way. Personally, I would just invite the 3-5 kids he really likes-- if you're doing it via mailed invitations, there's not really a chance for awkwardness at the school cubbies or whatever. (Also, 10 two & three year olds in the same house sounds like hell on a stick. Don't do that!)

At that age, I don't think the other kids' feelings will be hurt... I don't think most kids that age even understand the idea of an "invitation" and the inclusion/exclusion implied by one. The Emperor is social as fork and this was the first year (4) he cared at ALL about inviting specific people, or about going to specific people's parties. That seems to be about developmentally normal.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I would mail them to the other parents - at that age, I don't think the kids will be talking to each other but if you see these parents at school pickup/dropoff you might want to take them aside and mention that because you're limited with space you just invited a couple of his closest buddies...just to avoid awkwardness if they would mention something to other parents. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Personally I try not to talk a lot about invitations to other people because you never know who is or isn't invited and why, but I have noticed that not everyone does this.. and that facebook has made it much more in your face when you're not invited to something!! On the other hand, maybe generations younger than ours will be better at taking it in stride?

My randomness: I know this is weird to say but Vi is getting too friendly with other little kids. Like, she'll glom onto them and want to put her arm around them or hold hands or whatever and doesn't understand when other kids want nothing to do with her. It's simultaneously frustrating and heartbreaking. How do you teach consensual touching to a 2 year old??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malta slept 10:30-8 in her own bed. Of course I woke up at 5am panicked, thinking she must not be breathing or something. Couldn't really go back to sleep after that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mitten, Reno has been invited to 4 birthday parties already this school year (first grade) where she and only 2 or 3 other kids from class have been invited. So it's definitely ok to do. Some schools have rules about it where you have to invite all of the same sex as your kid or the whole class. I hate that and am glad Reno's school doesn't do that.

2 of the parents have come up to me before they've given out the invites just to let me know that Reno was going to be invited and that they weren't inviting the whole class. I think that's a good idea to at least mention to the parents of the invited kids that the whole class won't be invited. Might keep them from asking other parents if their kids are going.

The invitations have always been handed to me on the playground.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 am 
Nooch of Earl

I thought this was hilarious: http://suburbanturmoil.com/warped-child ... 012/12/03/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 am 

Ha! That was great. RH catalogs in general are so crazy. Like, not even aspirational. Just bizarre. And I resent that they are the size of phone books.

I think one of the reasons Land of Nod sucks me in is because they style their shoots in a way that is convincingly cluttered and jumble-y. Just with better, more coordinated clutter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

That was awesome! I just got the RH Baby and Child catalog the other day and recycled it immediately. I can't even bring myself to look through those things! I think the only things I have purchased from Restoration Hardware was actual hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've never heard of Restoration before but the post made me giggle.

I cut tiny wu's hair for the first time yesterday. She was looking like a British Invasion reject. I can't believe how much difference the little snips made--now with proper bangs in front and wispy curls in back, she looks like a tiny flapper!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 95  Next