| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

If anyone needs baby leg warmers or socks I got a coupon code in my email thus morning for 50% off at babylegs.com
treat50 is the code and it worked for me on stuff that was already discounted.

5.99 shipping in the US not sure about international

*im not affiliated with them at all I'm just all about getting stuff cheap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

:( Feel better soon Malka!!

I have like 4 hours to figure out how to attach glowing light eyes to a small child who refuses to wear anything over her face. If I can do it, she will have a cute halloween costume. If I can't, she'll look like a cult leader, or worse, like someone who put on a Klan robe and rolled around in the mud.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We are home at last from our American journeys. F did well traveling overall, but has been a real pita wrt sleeping since our return. Hoping that tonight (night #3) sees something a little better. Last night = 2 a.m., me sitting on the steps in the hall because I couldn't take it anymore. Whew.

And now she cries, I swear to God.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:31 pm 

So, it wasn't too bad. Whew. :) (feeling a little tense...scared of going back to the bad old days)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Hugs, refinnej! Going east is so difficult. I hope life gets back to normal for you soon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:34 am 

I think we're getting there. Up super early this morning (normal) and down for a nap around the typical time. I know I'm overreacting, but I think I'd rather die than go back to 3-4 hours of broken sleep per night, at this point.

Happy day today..Freya loving that Pappa gets to stay home from work. Yesterday, she was asleep when he left and we didn't want to bother her after being up all night. About 2 in the afternoon, she suddenly got *very* sad and was saying "Pappa come home soon. Miss him." Whew. She only had eyes for him at the playground today. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Welcome back refinnej! Yeah, the jet lag is the stone cold worst; I hope everyone gets that sorted soon.

I didn't want to post about this before in case I jinxed it, but last Monday, tw slept for 6 hours straight! No wake ups for 6 hours! Never happened before--I don't usually post about it because the whole sleep situation around here is just too distressing to think about-- but previous max was 4 hours and that's only happened a few times anyway.

As you can probably guess tiny wu has not repeated this awesome feat and is still waking about 5 times a night, BUT she has been regularly managing a 3 hour chunk each night, sometimes two. I know that sounds unexceptional but after getting up every 90 minutes every night for the last year, it feels like a big deal. Anyway, I'm definitely no angel mommy gliding around serenely about her sleep situation--"the bad old days" indeed, don't I know it-- but I do finally feel like things are, ever so slowly, getting better.

(And now I probably have jinxed it. Rats).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 am 

Hurray! We had a good long stretch where F would sleep for about 2-3 hours each night, then the insanity would start about 10:30 or 11:00. Getting those couple of hours alone, with my husband though, was very helpful. Actually being able to clean up the table from dinner before she cried, or watch a whole hour of something on TV was like a freaking miracle. Hopefully tinywu will keep on improving too! It was still a few months before we got sleeping through the night (more or less) down, and I suspect that night weaning played a part. She's still not the best sleeper, but at least now we seem to be in the normal range at night time (wakes up once or twice usually, and then awake at like 5 many days..yikes). She still flips her shiitake when she wakes up from nap and I am not there, so not sure what that' about, but she calms down easily so hopefully I'm not scarring her for life.

We've been talking lots about baby #2 as I get older, and am having some small success with weight loss and yeah. The thought of not sleeping for another 18 months though...not sure my old bones are ready for that yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Finally toured the preschool we're looking at and it seems fine, so we decided to enroll V there! I'm really excited. It's a small place - just 2 six-kid toddler classrooms, plus 3 levels of older kids. But it's got lots of nice spaces to play. It's not a fancy super-educationally focused place, they focus more on socializing and play, though they do art projects and music and stories based on a theme picked out by the teacher each week. I think it'll be great, though, since what we both really need is a break from each other once in a while! We're starting out with one morning a week, we'll see how it goes from there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:04 pm 

Oh, that sounds wonderful! I'm thinking about finding someplace for F for one or two mornings/week next fall and it's so hard because the class sizes everywhere seem huge, and she would just drown there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka keeps talking about going to school, thinking it might be time for a couple mornings a week, or maybe when we hit the 2.5 year mark in a couple months when the options would open up a bit more. She's pointing at random buildings when we drive places and saying, "That's my school! I love school!" Toddler fantasy life is pretty amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I find most schools around us start at 2.5 years. Reno's school allowed a family or two to enroll a 2 year old once in a while and they were just two young for it. There is a huge difference in those 6 months of life. I think we are going to wait, like we did for Reno, and start Miles at 3. Its so much $$$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:35 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Definitely most schools start at 2.5, or at least the ones that were really interesting when we looked the first time around (all the montessori, reggio, and religious programs). Yeah, the $$$ thing is a big deal, and also the time issues. We are not an 8:30-12 family or whatever the stupid schedule is for 2-year-olds at these places. But maybe we could become one. I think Malka would be insanely excited about a Jewish preschool. She sings synagogue songs ALL THE TIME and is constantly talking about going to synagogue, so maybe that would be a nice thing for her. I'll start looking I guess. Blah. It would be helpful if I didn't work at the only synagogue/church in town without a preschool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Part of how the Emperor ended up at the preschool he's at now (which we've been overall extremely happy with) is that they're one of the only centers in town that takes kids under 2.5. (They have a baby room and a toddler room... I think babies can start at 3 months old, or maybe it's 4.) There are a couple of places that do 2 years, but generally, if you want your kid in care before that, your only options are home daycares or a nanny. Which is ok, but not what we wanted.

Malka's school excitement made me smile. E does a similar thing whenever we pass the elementary school he (might) go to next year (depending on whether we can get an exemption for him because his birthday is right after the cut-off, and he's already met the kindergarten readiness milestones according to his preschool teachers). He gets so excited. "Look mama! Elementary school! That's MY elementary school!" It's really cute.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Aw, Walter does the same thing when we drive past the elementary school. "That's my kindergarten!" Even though he won't go there for three more years, and maybe not even then because we're likely moving. He just really wants to get at that playground.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Man, there used to be a Jewish preschool half a block from us in Virginia, and I totally would've enrolled V in there if we were still there! It looks so nice! And my brother-out-law is Jewish, so we'd totes fit in….right?

V is still about 2.25, but I went ahead and enrolled her.. Partly because I really just wanted some time to clean every week, partly because she is very very extroverted and enjoys playing with other kids so we were spending a lot of time at the play cafe anyway, partly because I'm exhausted right now.. but here in California the requirement for <2.5 is 6 kids per teacher and goes up once they hit 2.5, so I like the idea of her being in a smaller class at first. (The preschool one doesn't seem totally huge, but it has two teachers whereas they keep the two toddler classes separate)

Anyway, it looks like mostly what they do during the day is play and socialization, art, and music.. basically the same stuff as she does here at home, but with other kids and adults who have energy. your mileage may vary, and we're waiting to see how she fares there next week, but I know lots of people who have kids in the 2-2.5 range in part-day preschool programs and they all rave about it.

FWIW, ours is drop off after 6:30am, pick up by noon. This means that husband can drop her off on the way to work and I get an EPIC amount of free time. (I am so stinking excited to be able to steam all my carpets at once next week!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:10 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Annak, a large minority of the kids at the local Jewish preschools are not Jewish. They're mostly normal preschools that celebrate Jewish holidays and have a special thing on Fridays for Shabbat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Fair enough, we just enrolled V into gay hippie Christian church preschool, and we're not gay hippie Christians.. and most of the neighborhood ones seems to be religiously affiliated (is it a tax thing?)… though one of them did scare me off through their website by making me think it would be overtly fundamentalist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:47 pm 
Nooch of Earl

What's up with the mental block that society seems to have around writing scientifically accurate books about caterpillars?

Eric Carle is bad enough, but I just read the Grow Caterpillar Grow lego book that comes with some duplo bricks. The caterpillar is "all grown up" at the end, yet still…a caterpillar? It hatches from an chicken-like egg with a "crack"? (OK I haven't verified that there isn't a crack, but it looks like they kinda nibble their way out, so…..)

PS I am not a crank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am 
***LIES!!!***

annak wrote:
Fair enough, we just enrolled V into gay hippie Christian church preschool, and we're not gay hippie Christians.. and most of the neighborhood ones seems to be religiously affiliated (is it a tax thing?)… though one of them did scare me off through their website by making me think it would be overtly fundamentalist.

I think it might also be a zoning thing. Hard to build new space or adjust space to be zoned for a school, but that is generally already a part of religious organization's original zoning requirements. I think the tax thing might be complicated, but I don't really know a ton about that - some religious preschools are a single entity with their host church, but many are a separate financial entity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:29 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Guys, sometimes I get overwhelmingly sad that I think it would be kind of mean to saddle a child with an Irish name that is super difficult for Americans to pronounce but I still really want to and I am SO FAR from having my own children.

My girlfriend is arguing that Eveline is just as cool of a name as Aibhlinn (we are not making actual child plans just talking) and it is just not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I think you should name your kid whatever you want! If they decide they hate it, they can always change it. I think Aibhlinn is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

strawberryrock wrote:
Guys, sometimes I get overwhelmingly sad that I think it would be kind of mean to saddle a child with an Irish name that is super difficult for Americans to pronounce but I still really want to and I am SO FAR from having my own children.

All through school and college, no one could pronounce my name. I always thought that was kind of fun and liked having an unusual name. It's really popular now and I wish it weren't because I liked having a name that was different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:47 pm 
Naked Under Apron

haha I was pretty into the idea of giving one of our girls a Celtic/Gaelic name too since our kids are roughly 3/4 Irish. Definitely ran into some resistance by my partner but I bet I could've won him over eventually if we hadn't agreed on other names instead. A friend of mine has a (now 18! eep!) daughter named Blathein (there's an accent mark in there somewhere), which means "the bursting of the bud", and I love it. However, she lives in Ireland where Gaelic is still routinely taught in school...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

choirqueer wrote:
I think you should name your kid whatever you want! If they decide they hate it, they can always change it. I think Aibhlinn is gorgeous.

True fact, you should name them whatever you want.

Having a hard to pronounce name is important for like the first 10 seconds you know someone usually, and then you just correct them and then they know afterwards.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 99  Next