| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Twist: I have an Irish name that people never know how to pronounce (though it is a not a Gaelic spelling) and I get super annoyed having to explain how to pronounce and spell it all the time. But maybe I should just inflict it on a kid because I have to deal with it so so should they!

I will revisit this when there is actually some sort of child on the way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ha! My original last name was really hard to pronounce, and my full first name is an extremely common nickname spelled differently, and so I spent the first 25 years or so of my life correcting pronunciations and spellings and telling people no, my name isn't (foo). (Inexplicably, NO ONE seems to have a hard time spelling or pronouncing my spouse's last name, which I took and which has a forking silent letter in it. Really?) But it's never really bothered me. And I do kinda love having a name no one else has.

ETA: so what I'm saying is that you need a crystal ball that will tell you what kind of personality theoretical future baby will have so you can know if she'd be bothered by having a weird name or not!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Last edited by coldandsleepy on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I really wanted to name a male kid Ysbrand, but so far nature has denied us the opportunity. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the old German saint name Quirin. When we were tossing out names and I said i definitely wanted that for a son, he said our kid would be mocked so hard. So his criteria was any name that can't be misspelled or mispronounced or made into a playground insult. My point was that any name can become a joke - I grew up in Austria and the boys would call me the German words for Revenging Horror because it sounds like my name in German. And even if you have a name that doesn't lend itself to distortion, they'll find something else. My husband has a simple and unmessable name so his classmates called him Shamu.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Yes, I think the mean nickname thing is so true. I really love the name Neal and pushed for that with E-- but solipsistnation hated it because he said kids would pick on him by calling him kneel. First of all, that burn only makes sense on paper! Secondly, if it's not Neal/kneel... it's gonna be something.

One of my brothers is an EXPERT mean name maker upper, and I always fondly remember when he went through a phase of calling his then mortal enemy, a girl named Nicole, Nicolon. Like a colon. I bet most people who name their daughters Nicole aren't worrying about poop jokes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

i do personally like names that dont' have a million alternate spellings.

One of the names I really like is "Renate," which is a family name and really common in German, but I don't know that it would be pronounced correctly here. I've seen people use "Renata," which would probably be pronounced and spelled better but it just seems like a big old mess.

I remember one of the baby name sites compiling insults that people with each name had been called.. but yes, when children are determined to be jerks they will find a way.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

strawberryrock wrote:
Twist: I have an Irish name that people never know how to pronounce (though it is a not a Gaelic spelling) and I get super annoyed having to explain how to pronounce and spell it all the time. But maybe I should just inflict it on a kid because I have to deal with it so so should they!

You can always do a simple middle name so the kid has an easy out if they end up annoyed by the name.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I agree kids can find a way with any name, but is IS nice to give a name that isn't exactly easy fodder. I feel sorry for my niece. Her name is Rhea and she has already come home crying from the playground for being called DIA-rhea which sadly was my first thought upon hearing her name too.

Tofulish - is Quirin prounounced like the name Kieren (which I think is Kee-wren)? I really like Kieren but think "Kieren Cotton" is not so good, but somehow to me "Quirin Cotton" seems better. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:09 pm 
Semen Strong

It is pronounced KEER-in, but B points out that it would be really easy to mispronounce. I also really like the Q in there. We have friends who have a Kiran, so I wouldn't want to give our kid the exact same name as theirs, even though I love the name Kiran, which is Sanskrit, like Leela is, and means ray of light.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mollyjade wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

You can always do a simple middle name so the kid has an easy out if they end up annoyed by the name.

My kids both have pretty uncommon first names and pretty tame middle names. Their middle names are both for family members, but the "backup name" played a factor too.

One thing that's kind of neat, at least in the US right now, is that name demographics are changing a lot. Most kids born in the past few names actually won't have top 20 or even top 100 names. It's kind of enlightening to look at the social security statistics on baby names. (Also, browsing through some of the things that made it onto the top 1000 names kinda amazes me.)

So having a kid with an uncommon name is now more common than it's historically been.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

As a 1970s Jennifer, I fully support the choice of unusual names. :p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah, I think it's pretty silly to be worrying about your kid having too-odd of a name for fear of being made fun of now a days, I mean, I don't know about where y'all live but here in portland I don't know even one kid with a standard name. I mean, I know two kids named Thor for darnned sakes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I kinda hate my unusual name, but then I gave my kid one, so whatayagonnado.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't very much like mine either, Ariann.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

Mars wrote:
Yeah, I think it's pretty silly to be worrying about your kid having too-odd of a name for fear of being made fun of now a days, I mean, I don't know about where y'all live but here in portland I don't know even one kid with a standard name. I mean, I know two kids named Thor for darnned sakes.

This is my favorite thing now.

Santa Cruz is kind of a hot bed for unusual names too (surprise) but even when I go other places I'm a bit surprised by some of the names I hear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

All right, you guys have convinced me. I'm gonna go get knocked up right now and name the resulting kid Aibhlinn or Cillian. It's going to have to sleep in a drawer, but it will have a great name.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

ok wasn't sure if I should ask this in the cloth diaper thread so I'mma put this here: we're probably going to stop cloth-diapering in the next month, at least in the daytime. I'm sorta sad about it but we won't have laundry facilities so we've agreed to bite the bullet and use disposables during the day. First and foremost we're interested in being as eco-friendly as possible, so I would love some recommendations...aren't there corn-based diapers or something? Ugh not looking forward to the whole trial and error of what will fit Sierra either, she's got a chunky tummy n thighs but is overall very petite. We have SUCH a giant cloth diaper stash that I'm pretty bummed but it just won't be feasible to be doing all our family laundry and cloth diapers at the laundromat. We'll stick with prefolds at night probably but definitely cannot deal with Sierra's 5 poops a day in cloth diapers without a washer, it just ain't gonna happen. I actually feel sorta happy for my partner though because he's done pretty much ALL cloth diaper maintenance for 4.5 years now, without a dryer, so hahha suddenly he'll have some more free time (I hope).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm 

Mars wrote:

Oh my Lard, my husband had Thor (also Thora once we were told she was a girl) on his list of favorites. He will be thrilled to know there are other Thors out there. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:32 pm 

We've been pretty happy with Naty/Naturebaby diapers and have even composted some (minus the plastic tabs, which we weren't sure about). The do have that polywhatchamacalit gel (sorry, I can't remember the name right now), but I didn't see when we were investigating the composting that it was any danger to the environment. Moltex nappies have been tested for composting by a couple of universities and work well too.

Have you checked out a diaper service? Also, I know in some places in CA, there are companies that take away old disposables and compost them. I think you have to use certain brands and I have no idea how expensive it is (or if it's available in NYC), but it sounds like a radical idea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

refinnej wrote:
Mars wrote:

Oh my Lard, my husband had Thor (also Thora once we were told she was a girl) on his list of favorites. He will be thrilled to know there are other Thors out there. :D

My boss-man is named Thor and he loves it. It suits him so well but I can imagine that it wouldn't work for everyone.

I'm a big fan of using 1 odd name and 1 'normal' name...my parents gave me and my sister the most normal names they could come up with, but then gave us a family last name for our middle names so we didn't have options as back up. My sister is currently debating Rachel versus Riven for her baby (due December 31!) and I am pushing for Riven...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I wanted to name Sven Torbjorn SO badly. Mr. Coot did not agree.

Austin is a hotbed of crazy baby names. I love it! Sven is a weird name down here. We are both Minnesotan where it's not a common name, but it's commonly known and nobody is confused by it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Ha. I wanted to name the Emperor Bjorn because it sounds great with our last name. But we don't have any sort of cultural tie to it or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:12 pm 
***LIES!!!***

All of a sudden I am "Mom" instead of "Mommy" and my husband is "Dad" instead of "Daddy." So sad.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:22 pm 

Maybe just temporary? Babynut has started randomly calling my husband by his first name. Weirdo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has been calling us by our first names pretty much for as long as we've been Mommy/Daddy. The other day she pointed at me and said, "That's MY A-yan!" the way she usually says "That's MY mommy." Hoping it's just a temporary switch, but I can definitely say it is less endearing for a toddler to scream in your face "Mo-om!" than to scream "Mommy!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 95  Next