| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

puzzles? books? a super secret special box of crayons and paper that's just for her and just for use during this one hour of the day?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ariann wrote:
puzzles? books? a super secret special box of crayons and paper that's just for her and just for use during this one hour of the day?

Whatever you pick, I suggest making it "super secret special" and only used in the morning - no other times. I agree on all of Ariann's suggestions. Maybe an activity book with colouring and puzzles/stickers/whatever inside?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:49 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Could you make her a flannel board? It can be as simple as some flannel attached to a piece of cardboard or foam core and the pieces could be whatever she's into - letters, "dolls" with clothes, animals, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

all good ideas, thanks! Yeah I figure I'm going to make this into a "you're getting older and we can trust you" thing when it comes to this but I also recognize that this is a whole "first world problem" thing - and I'll keep in mind that invariably she's going to get excited and want to come show me what she's done and wake me up anyway but whatevs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:34 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ok, I'm putting this here rather than one of the Foyer randomness threads because I'm not sure if thecrabbycrafter ventures elsewhere on the boards or not...

So! Guess who I saw today? Crabby's husband!! At my work!!! There was this dude renewing a book with one of my colleagues and I was probably staring at him a wee bit too much while thinking 'hang on. I recognise that dude from somewhere. But where? But wheeerrre? But wheeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeee?!?!?!' And then it hit me! I have seen him on the internet looking grumpy on a train with 3 adorable wee boys! Hahahahaha. So bizarre.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Cool!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish was right: Peppa Pig IS like toddler crack.

But that Daddy Pig sure is a bumbling idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

hrm I just found out that kindergarten here is a full day (roughly 8:40 - 3pm). I'm a little bummed because it just seems like such a long day for a 5yr old. Or maybe I'm just having a hard time relinquishing control sort of, like I don't want her out of our sight for such a long period of time everyday! when I was in kindergarten here (hmmph 30 yrs ago!) it was a half day. Ugh its going to be an adjustment for all of us, surely. On the bright side, I'm pessimistically assuming that we won't get into our zoned school which will mean travel, so at least H won't be traveling to bring her to school for just 2.5 hours like he does now. And Sierra will get all that papa attention. But I'm just not ready for this at all!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 am 
***LIES!!!***

Aw, Audrey.

I dropped Malka off at the daycare she occasionally goes to this morning and they decided last time she was there to move her up to the bigger kids' classroom (I think the kids are 2.5-3?, she's a little under 2.5) because they thought she would do better with the activities the bigger kids do. My husband was in favor, I was opposed because I felt like bigger kids' classroom = lower teacher:child ratio + a lot more structured sitting and academic-style learning time which I think she's not ready for. But it's only like once a week that she goes at this point, so I didn't make a fuss over it. I dropped her off in the new classroom and she seemed to settle in pretty quickly to what she was supposed to be doing and then I stood outside the room and watched through the window. Half the class was on the rug reading a book (about the letter N, god I hate reading readiness) and the other half was sitting at the table coloring. The caregiver with Malka's group yelled at a kid to sit down at the table because he was getting up and showing her his coloring. He didn't seem upset and just sat down and went back to coloring, but I was close to tears over it. So I waited outside a little longer and the teacher came out to make an extra photocopy and I cornered her and told her I was really distressed to see her yell at a kid and I didn't want her to yell at Malka to do things if she wasn't going with the group or sitting when she was supposed to sit, because it really doesn't matter and no kid should be yelled at, period. She seemed to take that in stride. Now I am sitting at my desk at my office and can't stop thinking about it and want to just go pick her up because I am so torn up about seeing that kid get yelled at. Malka never seems unhappy there - she usually seems kind of subdued, mostly watching other kids rather than engaging with them, but they're not her normal crowd so I guess that's understandable, and she always tells me at the end of the day "Mama, I had fun with all the kids today, I played with all the kids." So I don't know. I feel distressed.

Upside: we probably found another nanny who's going to start next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 am 
Semen Strong

Oh I am sorry Ariann! Even if its just a small snippet of the day and she is generally awesome with the kiddos, its hard not to let our fears take over. I would have been upset too, fwiw, but I wonder if in a classroom of preschoolers what might occur to me as yelling might just be a raised voice to be heard. But you're an educator, so you'd know better than me.

I hope the new nanny is a good fit for M - she is such a great kid!

L asked if she could go to daycare today, because she thinks its where Lo and M hang out all day :) And I said "Sure! You okay with being without Mama?". And then she thought and decided we both need to go to daycare together.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:56 am 
***LIES!!!***

None of the kids was talking at all, it was almost completely silent in the room, she didn't need to raise her voice to be heard - it was definitely a really sharp thing.

Malka was singing on the way to daycare that L and downstairs-C were going to daycare with her.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just registered Sam for Kinder yesterday and his school days will be 9am-3:25pm. Looong days! But he's gonna have a ton of fun!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Malka was singing on the way to daycare that L and downstairs-C were going to daycare with her.

I love that our children have these rich relationships with one another in their imaginations, just like we do on the internet :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The weird daycare thing couldn't have ended better. My husband picked Malka up this afternoon and talked to the director about the incident. Apparently the teacher had gone straight to the director and told her about it and in the telling had not diminished her yelling (I imagine this was at least partly a CYA move - she probably realized we'd talk to the director), so the director already knew about it and had responded to the incident, and Malka was happy and was being cuddled by one of the other teachers when my husband looked in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, that is a good and reassuring thing to know about the daycare. I really like that the teacher was responsible and then the director didn't go to blaming or making excuses, but everyone made sure that the situation was handled well. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, its all in how you handle them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Really, some days we deserve awards for not eating our young. Congratulations, parents of the PPK!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:13 pm 
Chip Strong

Not vegan!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm an auntie again!!!! My bro/SIL had another baby girl this morning at 4am. I can't wait to squeesh on her! <3 No name yet, but I hear she's pretty nice and chunky at a little over 7lbs at 37w3d (Her older sis was born at 36w2d, weighing in at 6lbs, 2.5yrs ago).

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Advice? I got a call today asking me to send my resume and references for a job I applied for in 2012. This position would REALLY help my career and is what I've been trying to get for years. (it is only a part time job though and it will take me at least an hour to commute each way, taking two buses each way).

Now the complicated part... there's the belly, which I'm not sure I can hide at all. Let's say that no one guesses that I'm pregnant, should I keep quiet about it? I feel like a jerk accepting the job and then saying "oh by the way, I'll need 3 months of maternity leave soon."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Are you in the US? I think FMLA only applies for places you've been a year, so they may not even be required to give you leave. I don't know that you should bring it up ahead of time, but maybe if/when they make you an offer? You could negotiate it into a contract or something, maybe.

If they really want to hire you, it might be a minor setback. Or maybe they'd be content to hire you once the 3 months is up. A friend's husband was offered generous paternity leave even though he'd been working at the company less than a year when my friend had their baby, so you never know.. I have at least one friend who's accepted a job after being pregnant and they wanted her there enough that they worked around it. It sort of depends on the company and how much they want to keep you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:06 am 
Semen Strong

Well after a few months of not hitting babies, we went to our first session of play school and there were two little babies. L was stalking them and then hitting them, every chance she got.

Today she is running around the house yelling "me find baby, me hit baby."

Great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:20 am 
Married to the wolfman

Bastah, I was in a similar position with my second pregnancy. Actually, twice-- once at the beginning of my pregnancy (when I got the job) and once at the end (when I didn't, but not due to pregnancy; I didn't mention it and all the interviews were remote). In both cases, I decided to at least interview and put myself out there. That way I wouldn't be wondering, would I have gotten that job, if?

By the way, even if you have a 9 month belly, you are not legally required to disclose your pregnancy and I believe (it's been a few years since I was researching this) it's illegal for them to ask.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I got my current job 5 months pregnant. Depending on the size of the company, they can't legally not hire you because of the pregnancy and you definitely don't have to disclose. What kind of leave they might offer if you get the job is a different story. I couldn't believe my interviewers (and I interviewed with committees of like 10 people over several months and gained twenty pounds plus in that time) had no idea I was pregnant, but they were truly shocked when I told them (after being offered the job, before talking contract). I think it never hurts to put yourself out there. I thought I'd leave graduate school without a job and take off several months after the birth before looking around, but something really just fell in my lap and it was a great opportunity for me. Glad I didn't pass it up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofulish wrote:
Well after a few months of not hitting babies, we went to our first session of play school and there were two little babies. L was stalking them and then hitting them, every chance she got.

Today she is running around the house yelling "me find baby, me hit baby."

Great.

That is awesome and hilarious, because it's not my kid doing it. Poor babies! I hope for everyone's sake she grows out of it soon.

ETA: This morning I saw V carrying a wooden spoon around in the general direction of our long-suffering elderly cat. I said "Violet, do NOT hit A with that." She stopped in her tracks, got a disappointed look on her face, threw the spoon aside, and sulked off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:19 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

annak wrote:
That is awesome and hilarious, because it's not my kid doing it.

Yup, I just laughed so hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 95  Next