| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:11 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Tofulish wrote:
Well after a few months of not hitting babies, we went to our first session of play school and there were two little babies. L was stalking them and then hitting them, every chance she got.

Today she is running around the house yelling "me find baby, me hit baby."

Great.

Sven is in full-on baby-hitting mode too! Just ours, though. He likes to hit her, smile triumphantly, and say, "Cry, Edie, cry!" Good Lard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:37 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes all the moms of the little babies that L was whaling on were saying that it was NBD because when you have more than one basically all they do is just beat on each other. The babies took it in stride because they were used to being hit by their older sibs. Still, its pretty frustrating to have to be right on top of your predatory preschooler.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Chuckle. Two year olds are tough m-f'ers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:35 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Two year olds are pretty much sociopaths.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 pm 
Chip Strong

Yep. I feel so bad that Alice is already getting hit by Ada and/or her friends. It's particularly amusing when friends come over and grab toys out of Alice's hands and yell "no, that's mine!" and then put it away. They don't even want to play with it. They just don't want Alice playing with Ada's toys? I have no clue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:51 pm 
Chip Strong

I've been lacking sleep between Alice cutting teeth and colds so I've been a bit forgetful. Today I left the apartment in my slippers. I made it all of the way down the stoop steps until I noticed. Ada thought it was hilarious. We live on a pretty busy street so I'm sure lots of people found it hilarious. The woman walking down the steps with a baby strapped to her while wearing slippers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm 

Hehe. Better than the time I set Freya on the doormat (outside) and then I hear this little voice saying "shoes...shoes". Der.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If anyone was ever wondering what happens if their baby eats quite a lot of uncooked brown rice, and was worrying that maybe said baby would blow up like a bird at a wedding, I can assure them that it will all be fine. All the uncooked rice will exit baby's system within 24 hours, still completely raw. Baby will, in fact, show no signs of distress at all, meaning that she is quite likely to pull this stunt again if possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

SV, basically same thing happens when they eat sand, although the exit is very, very uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:04 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

uh I kinda just remembered that there's a Valentine's party at D's pre-k on Friday. They've asked people to bring "red, heart-healthy" foods, as I suspect they're trying to avoid a glut of sweets, and that's fine because I'm gonna make beet hummus! But my question is, are these little kids gonna be giving each other storebought valentines? like will D be the only kid not doing this? I feel like these kids are too young for this, given that most of them can't read or write, but I find I'm often wrong about stuff like this. Hmmph.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:10 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm kind of wondering the same thing - V will be missing her class party (because she doesn't go on Fridays), but the newsletter contained a list of names for kids to write valentines to. I'm wondering if I should drop something off ahead of time at all on Wednesday, and if so, whether store bought valentines are fine or I'm supposed to do a pinterest or something.

I thought about getting some foodstuff to include with valentines, but I assume that homemade food is verboten, they seem a little young (2.5) to be getting candy. Fruit squeezes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh, all the social obligations of pre-school are beyond me. I can't even get my shiitake together to buy B a valentine's day card - I would never manage for a whole bunch of kids, who can't read where the cards are going right into the recycling bin as soon as they get home.

I am going to have to homeschool, aren't I?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 pm 

It seems like the teacher should let you know? Ask the other parents what they are doing? I'm a teacher and I sent home a detailed note about what to expect/what to bring. We don't allow food or candy so I suggested little things like tattoos, stickers, pencils, etc, instead of candy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

E has his bag of Valentine's from last year and the year before (when he was 3 and freaking 2) and he asks to pull them out all the time. We have spent a ridiculous amount of time poring over these because he loves them and talking about which one is from whom and so on. I wish I could tell those parents that they actually got their money's worth!

Still I feel sorta grinchy about the idea for younger kids... M is in the class with the 1-2 year olds and I just... Can't get behind that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh that is sweet though! I can see that they look back and value them.

Thanks for that perspective C&S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 pm 

yeah we keep all of the eleventy billion cards my mom and H's sister send the girls throughout the year and they loooove to pull them out and look at them!
Butternut, you are always my source of reason on these issues since you're a teacher. My problem is I never go to D's school and H is sooo flustered at pickup/dropoff because he has Sierra with him and all the kids are bouncing off all the walls, so he pretty much refuses to attempt to have a word with the teacher. In addition something like 90% of the caretakers/parents speak only Polish to each other so he's pretty left out. Luckily though, it would seem lots of parents were asking her somehow so the teacher sent out an email with a class list etc. And even luckier, H ran across a Hello Kitty Valentines set at the grocery store and bought it, so I guess we're going for it.
Tofulish, you strike me as having the whole social aspect of this parenting thing down pat, unlike us haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:45 pm 
Chip Strong

Speaking of preschool, Ada is super friendly with one girl in her class so we have had her and her dad over but I'm not liking some of the dad's behaviors. He yells at his daughter and sometimes talks to her in ways that bother me. Things like "don't be a bad girl" and he makes offhanded comments about her. I guess it's not constant but enough to make me cringe when it happens. But Ada loves this kid and we always have to wait to walk home with her or Ada gets really upset. I'm not going to stop play dates from happening because the kids like each other so I guess I just have to deal with it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:06 pm 

yeah Sashi that's tough...it's so awesome that Ada has a real friend but different parenting styles sure make things uncomfortable. I don't see what you can do about it though. We have a similar-yet-different situation where Howard and the kids walk home with a friend of D's but the girl's father lets her run like a block ahead AND cross the street by herself. She's 4! D likes to run with her but always stops within like half a block and looks for Papa and would never try to go across the street without him but it makes us so nervous! aaagh what if this kid gets hit by a car?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:11 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha, I can totally see my husband letting V run way ahead and cross the street at four. We're going to be That Family.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:43 pm 

yeah maybe I'm overreacting, because she does look both ways first and all that! But I've just seen soo many drivers in our area cruise thru stop signs and not pay much attention so I worry they won't see a little kid. The running ahead isn't that big a deal, Howard just gets nervous because at each intersection he finds himself thinking "ohmygod she's going to stop running RIGHT?" whew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:51 pm 
Chip Strong

I don't think you're overreacting. There are some crazy drivers in this city. I keep telling Ada that we still need to look even if we have a green light. She also does the running ahead thing and stops at the street. But yeah, I almost have a heart attack every time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't think it's overreacting. Just sayin', my husband was peeved at me when he came back from sea and she'd been taught to wait for help going down the stairs. At ~15 months. Thought I was stifling her bravery. So he's going to be That Father.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

V got slut-shamed at preschool today!! I mean, I picked her up and saw that she was in her emergency pants. Uh oh, I thought, she must've had an accident, so I asked her teacher about it. She was a potty rockstar, BUT they changed her because her shorts were too short! "You could see her underwear!" I mean, OK. They do have a 1" inseam. They're 24mo size, because she specifically asked for those shorts and is very very opinionated about what she wears. I didn't feel like enduring a tantrum. Are they a little small on her at this point? I guess so, but I wouldn't have said they were horrifyingly immodest. And, I mean, I guess if she were lying down or bending over you could probably see her underwear, but she's two. The underwear in question has elmo on it.

So…seriously? This is a thing I need to worry about now? People being offended that my 2 year old dares wear short shorts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I..... what? I can't even.

But congratulations on pottylearning! That is a great development - two in diapers sounds challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Ha. Well, I don't feel like we're done yet. It's been a really really slow slog - I've been actively potty training for 6 months now!! - and it's been a lot of two steps forward, one step back for us. Self-initiation has taken a really long time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 97  Next