| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Even just "I can't get child care" is an excused absence sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

LisaPunk wrote:
i have jury duty on tuesday for the 800th time and im pretty much freaking out about it.

i got the notice when i was pregnant (i was originally supposed to go some place 45 mins away when i was 7 months pregnant but they let me postpone it) so when i was pregnant and didnt know i would have a kid who at almost a year old hated everyone i asked my dad to babysit since he would be retired by then.

I just had jury duty a few weeks ago, and right at the beginning they listed off all these things that excuse you from being there that day, and one was if you are a stay at home parent with a kid under the age 12 or 14, you were excused. All the parents were shuttled off to a room and I assume sent home. So you might have a quick day!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh my god for reals guys?!?!?!??!

i am feeling soooo much better. im gonna do some googling. Tlish i hope you are right! i have to call tomorrow after 3 to see if im even being called in so maybe i can ask then.

Ariann i *thought* on the original summons it said not having childcare is not a valid excuse for getting out of jury duty but im wondering if that is just to show up on the first day but maybe its an excuse for getting out of being on a jury. if my dad wasnt retired i seriously wouldnt have any options and he's not the best option ONLY because BP doesnt like him. she's getting better with my mom but she is still wary of his beard. hahaha

im going to research this and see what the deal is in this state. i would SO much rather spend the day with my parents and BP than sitting in a courthouse freaking out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Seriously, just call the courthouse. That will be the simplest way to deal with this. The other thing that has gotten me out of jury duty in the past was that I was a sole provider (in the same period, my husband got off because he was a SAHD). We believe in the importance of jury duty, but know we're not going to be selected for a jury anyway, so feel less bad about getting out of it when it's totally inconvenient. It's astounding that anybody winds up on a jury.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im defnitely gonna call tomorrow. based on my googling i think i may need to report in but then i will be let go which is fine too.

the only thing i can find for breastfeeding laws in MA is that you can nurse in public anywhere.

barring the bfing i can be let go for being her sole caretaker during the day.

WOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!

ive definitely paid my dues as far as jury duty goes!

this is my 4th or 5th time and im only 36. my dad has never been. and neither has my husband. guess who im ratting out when i get to the courthouse! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't think that kind of thing is a "law." It's like an administrative court rule or something. Might be really hard to actually research.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i have to report today went REALLY well with my parent's watching BabyPunk.
i never did call the courthouse to ask them cause that is like right up my anxiety alley of things i cant do :-P
and everythign i read about jury duty in MA is that really the only thing you can get exemptions for is being a caretaker for someone disabled or like an elderly person that needs special care. everything else you can just get a postponement for and i just wanted to get it over.

so i had my parents come over a bit early so unimpressed baby could get over them invading her domain and then when it was time for me to go i just sort of waved good bye and left.

my mom texted me updates every now and then and then at one point i got a pic of Charlotte SLEEPING on my mom. how she got her asleep is beyong me but YAY! then later i found out she slept on my mom for about 45 mins then my mom had to pee wicked bad and somehow they managed to move her to my dad who lately she has been VERY unsure of (i think it's the beard) and she slept for ANOTHER 45 mins!!!!

then for the rest of the time i was gone i dont know what they did. they didnt say much other than they had a good day. played with toys and just hung out. she got fussy a few times and they just distracted her and she was fine. she took a bottle from them no problem..

YES!!! SUCCESS!!!
now this means my husband and i can like GO DO STUFF and have people who can watch her!

she was actually the worst when i got back home later!
after i got home she wouldnt let me out of her site. towards the end of my parents stay i got up to go clean my guinea pigs' cage and she scteamed the entire time until my mom gave her to me then my mom was like "she did NOT cry like that while you were gone"

hahaha little shiitake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:34 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

LP, that is really super! (BTW, "unimpressed baby" is great.) I've had the same experience where a baby is fine with the caretaker when you're gone because they somehow figure out pretty quickly that they have no choice (well, other than screaming the whole time), but once you re-appear all that anxiety manifests itself in a bad way. I hope you and your husband start to take advantage of chances to get out! and I'm jealous haha.

my complaint is I really want to try a for-pay babysitter because there's stuff coming up that Howard and I want to do. But he is absolutely adamant that he doesn't want a stranger in our house! I'm not sure how to get around it. He's happy to have a friend babysit but in most cases, if there's a show or something we want to go to, 99% of our friends will be at said show and the other 1% I feel guilty asking because we never see them and they won't accept any $ for doing us a favor. As I've mentioned before, we both have a bit of a paranoia reflex - he knows it sounds ridiculous saying it but he's honestly afraid someone will call CPS on us or something for having, I dunno, anarchist or profane or just plain weird stuff in our home. Sittercity shows plenty of available people in our immediate area but I can't convince him. It's wait til my mom visits twice a year or nothing pretty much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 pm 

Yay for babypunk!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Audrey wrote:
LP, that is really super! (BTW, "unimpressed baby" is great.) I've had the same experience where a baby is fine with the caretaker when you're gone because they somehow figure out pretty quickly that they have no choice (well, other than screaming the whole time), but once you re-appear all that anxiety manifests itself in a bad way. I hope you and your husband start to take advantage of chances to get out! and I'm jealous haha.

my complaint is I really want to try a for-pay babysitter because there's stuff coming up that Howard and I want to do. But he is absolutely adamant that he doesn't want a stranger in our house! I'm not sure how to get around it. He's happy to have a friend babysit but in most cases, if there's a show or something we want to go to, 99% of our friends will be at said show and the other 1% I feel guilty asking because we never see them and they won't accept any $ for doing us a favor. As I've mentioned before, we both have a bit of a paranoia reflex - he knows it sounds ridiculous saying it but he's honestly afraid someone will call CPS on us or something for having, I dunno, anarchist or profane or just plain weird stuff in our home. Sittercity shows plenty of available people in our immediate area but I can't convince him. It's wait til my mom visits twice a year or nothing pretty much.

Maybe one of your friends knows a trustworthy sitter? That way it's not like a complete out-of-nowhere stranger, but more like...a friend-of-a-friend?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i need everyone to send us good vibes Tuesday morning.
BP has her cardiologist appt. we need to have an echocardiogram done and i dont have any faith she will sit through it.

im actually more worried about the mechanics of getting it done then the actual results.

my mom is a nurse so i borrowed an old stethoscope from her and in the morning before i dress her i act very serious and run the stethoscope all over her chest and abdomen so sort of mimic the wand for the u/s. of course there is a HUGE difference between ME doing it and some strange lady.

ahhhhh.......this is going to be a caramel cluster.

im fairly confident in the event they get the info they need it will show that the holes are much smaller now and she wont need surgery. the second time she was taken off her meds she has done well ever since. they seem to be able to tell a lot just by listening to her heart and he keeps saying it sounds much smaller so im not too worried about the results but fingers crossed anyways!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:09 am 
Chip Strong

Does anyone else's toddler poop 5-6 times a day? Just curious. (She's a good eater.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mooo wrote:
Does anyone else's toddler poop 5-6 times a day? Just curious. (She's a good eater.)

Yes! He's slowed down recently (he's 25 months), now he has days where he'll only poop once or twice, but sometimes it's still 5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:57 am 

mooo wrote:

I've asked this question before because my toddler poops so much! Not as much as before, she now poops about three times a day at 27 months, but they are massive. She used to have 5 or more poops a day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:07 am 
Saggy Butt

Yes! Sven poops 4-5x a day. All the vegetarian and vegan kids I know poop a ton!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My 3 year old son just learned how to pee standing up, probably from some other kid at daycare. (Nobody else in the house has a penis, so we weren't quite sure when and how to tackle that one.) But the best part is, not only can he pee standing up, but he does it while wearing a floor length princess dress.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka only poops 1-2x/day, but it's still a lot more than her non-vegan friends poop. I have a lot of conversations about children's poop.

Also, Malka pretends to pee standing up, into the big toilet, except she is not, of course, tall enough to do so, so she just stands kind of confused pressed up against the toilet with a confused look on her face. She is still completely resistant to peeing sitting down. I might just buy her her very own pee funnel.

Did anyone else's kid not get in their second year molars by 2.5? The bottoms came in, the tops did not. She isn't teething. It is a total mystery.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:31 pm 

I was just checking F's gums today. She's been a bit oral lately, but not really chewing/teething? She's just 2 1/4, but nothing yet. Gums seemed a bit swollen maybe, though? She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. I was sorta hoping we could get those suckers out of the way and be done with the whole teething extravaganza.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
Semen Strong

BhelOfTheBall wrote:
My 3 year old son just learned how to pee standing up, probably from some other kid at daycare. (Nobody else in the house has a penis, so we weren't quite sure when and how to tackle that one.) But the best part is, not only can he pee standing up, but he does it while wearing a floor length princess dress.

This makes me SO happy! I am still laughing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wish me luck PPK citizens. my husband is going to the NCAA bball finals in Buffalo with his youngest brother and to get to Buffalo you drive right by Syracuse where his parents live. i must have fallen and whacked my head on a rock because i VOLUNTEERED to bring Charlotte to his parents house and stay with them from Wednesday night to Sunday while my husband is in Buffalo. so it will just be me and her and my in laws.
i really like my in laws they are very very nice people and have always treated me very very well but i also have a limit that i reach at a certain point and im like done with them. now i wont have my husband as a filter.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yeesh Lisa that's a whole lotta family time! Best of luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well we survived our stay in NY. it didnt go at all as i planned which shouldnt surprise anyone ;-)

i was really really REALLY hoping to get some relaxation time while Charlotte got quality time with her grandparents and i was hoping to nap or hang out in their hot tub. i am so far behind on sleep and ive also been sooooo sick to the point where i went to get a strep test at the dr (negative, just a bad cold) but no. Charlotte was having none of it. i didnt even get to shower. just once on thursday, then i didnt shower again til my husband came back on sunday.

i could not be more than a foot away from her the entire time we were there or she would freak out. i thought she might settle in after awhile like she did when we were there for Thanksgiving but no such luck. it got to the point where if i had to pee i would take her to the bathroom with me and just lay her on the floor because i couldnt deal with the screaming.

other than her epic level of barnacle-ness we actually had a nice weekend. my MIL was just happy as a clam to even have her there even if she couldnt hug and squeeze and cuddle her. we played on the floor all together a lot and went on a couple day trips and of course watched basketball.

it just would have been nice if she could have played on the floor with them while i cooked dinner like i planned or you know went and took a pee by myself or took the dog out to pee. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

She's 9 months or so now, eh? The major separation anxiety time is starting... Poor you. I'm sorry it didn't go as planned.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, LisaPunk, that sounds insanely tough. It doesn't last forever, though I suppose that's little solace.

Right now V is in a stage where every single need must be attended to by either my husband or me, but she's very specific about who she wants and woe be unto us if the wrong person comes to take her to the potty or read her stories or put her shoes on or whatever the stupid issue at hand. I know it's probably just best to let her control things that don't matter so we can retain control of the important stuff, but dang, it's going to drive me up a wall.

The other issue is that she's become very stubborn about clothing, and hates changing it. She's been wearing the same dress for a couple days now and is not willing to take it off at all. People probably think we're so grubby and disgusting and neglect her, but really, even if we can get her to take a bath she'll scream for an hour to get her old clothes back. The other day she basically wouldn't put on anything besides the dirty pajamas she'd been wearing and so I was trapped in the hotel room with a naked kid most of the day. Getting her dressed has become the worst part of the day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 94  Next