| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:20 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Naps at the same time! That's the best.

So we decided to have Ada's birthday on a weekday in the park with her classmates and a couple of more friends. I sent out evites and all. Now it's supposed to rain all next week (it's next Wednesday). Ugh. There's no way to fit everyone in our apartment. So we either reschedule for the week after if the forecast doesn't change or just don't have it and have a couple of friends over. She seems pretty excited about it though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

sashi we wanna hear about your trip and whole airplane saga please!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i took BabyPunk to visit my friend and her daughter who is a month older than BP yesterday. her daughter is a few months ahead developmentally and BP is a few months behind. so her daughter is walking all over the place and just a ball of energy and starting to actually say words and she is VERY LOUD and very energetic and BP is very chill.

it went horribly. BP needs to like ease her way into things and i think that's why she has been doing well with adults lately is because you can tell the adults that and then they are cool and will ignore her and let her go to them on her own terms.
you cant tell that to an almost 13 month old.
she was like DIRECTLY in her face. not doing anything bad like hitting or pushing but just like "OH HELLO I SEE YOU ARE A BABY TOO LET US BE FRIENDS" and BP screamed the entired time. not cried. SCREAMED.

and my friend's daughter has discovered she can shriek real loud and it's fun so she kept doing that and BP most definitely didnt like that.

*sigh*

the best time we had was when her daughter fell asleep on our walk and she put her in her crib. :-/

now im worried about her birthday party tomorrow. my friend and her daughter are coming, my friend with 8 month old twins and two of my cousins kids who are like 5-7ish are all coming too. everyone else will be adults including my 14 year old nephew who could give 2 shiitakes about a baby so i know he wont be up in her grill.

though later we went to the library (just me and BP) and there was this little girl there who was like 6-8 and had no concept of personal space and was all up in BP's grill like HELLO LITTLE ONE and was shoving a cat puppet in her face and like touching her and poking her and BP didnt cry then. just stared at her shell shocked so who knows. it's hard to tell what will set her off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr Crabby came into the kitchen carrying Vax. Vax sees me, grins, and does *jazz hands.* I die laughing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I bought my "post-birth" supplies today - you know two bags of GINORMOUS feminine pads, tucks, cooling spray, etc. I was checking out and the cashier suddenly realizes what she is ringing up and starts "poor dearing" me...telling me about her 3 births and post-births. Then the bagger gets in on the action and I kid you not soon there are four or five employees surrounding me giving post-partum advice. I feel like I participated in group therapy...only I didn't come out any better then I went in for sure!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:59 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Mr Crabby came into the kitchen carrying Vax. Vax sees me, grins, and does *jazz hands.* I die laughing.

This is part of my niece's excited face. Jazz hands, a wide grimacing smile, and all over shaking. It's the most gratifying feeling to have her do that when you walk into a room.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I thought there was a thread on this, but a search reveals nada. Can y'all recommend some apps that your preschoolers like? Freya's never used anything on the tablet (except once when K had an iPad home from work), but I'm hoping some media time can be my ace in the hole when she gets bored as we are strapped in our seats circling Dulles after a 8 hour flight. :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have Endless Alphabet and Endless Reader on my phone that I let Inez do occasionally. They're pretty good. Alphabet, especially. For a flight when she was around two I remember having an animals one (sorry, blanking on the name) and Baby Piano. They were okay for killing some time but not all that educational or anything. I haven't looked into apps very much - I'm sure there are better ones out there!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 am 
And you never will.

Peter is a big fan of Endless Alphabet too, but we got it for free when it was in beta, so I'm not sure I'd pay the $6.99 they're asking now. It's good, but you could probably get three cheaper apps that will entertain her for longer.

When he was just a little younger he really liked the Tozzle puzzle app, and he still plays with it sometimes, but he's mostly tired of it now. I'm not sure if that's because he's outgrown it or if he's just done them all too many times.

One more that we got for free was the Sago Mini Doodlecast, and I would probably buy that ($2.99) if I had to. It's a drawing app, you can start with a blank page or one with a drawing prompt, but his favorite thing is that it records the drawing process with sound, so if we draw something together he can play it back with our conversation. He loves that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It's $6.99 now?! Yowzer. We got it free, too. No way would I pay that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 am 
And you never will.

Right?? It's a little crazy. Looks like Endless Reader and Endless Numbers are still free, so it might be worth snagging them now before they're stupid expensive too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 am 

oh refinnej, try searching for apps by a company 22learn. They are Montessori-esque learning apps with letter games etc, and while some of them are more for Dahlia's level, there are ones for younger kids too. Both of my kids enjoy them a lot and they're only a couple bucks (though hmm maybe only for Android - Dahlia was given a Kindle Fire that she plays them on). Also, for those emergency entertainment times, the Elmo Monster Maker app is a major hit as well and I know that's available for Iphone etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 pm 

Thanks for the tips...I'm off to search the Play store!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:17 am 

ok, I struggle with not being a judgmental person and believing we are all doing the best we can. But yesterday on the subway there was a mother with a 1yr old and a 2yr old and she pulled out 2 bottles (regular big baby bottles with nipples). She reached into a bag she had and filled one with Arizona iced tea and gave it to the 1yr old, and filled one with Pepsi and gave it to the 2 your old. I thought to myself "holy shiitake".
annnd I was thinking maybe about taking the kids to Sesame Place one afternoon when we'll be in the area in June and, lo and behold, the place is owned by SeaWorld. We might go to the Crayola Place instead, til I find out something bummerific about Crayola that is.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am 

Sigh about Crayola. I feel sometimes like there is nothing sacred. forking SeaWorld.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm 

I just want to nominate myself for mother of the year. Scarlett's doing really well without diapers but sometimes has to sit on the toilet forever before she goes. I took her to the bathroom at Costco today and she narrated what everyone else who came and went was doing for 15 minutes, but refused to shiitake or get off the pot. She was entertaining herself and I was bored, so I stood up and started checking email on my phone. A minute later I looked down and she was slumped over, asleep! At least she didn't fall off..

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

Haha. :)

@the Jersey folks...do you know if there is any sort of awesome playground/playplace close to the Newark airport (maybe in Elizabeth?) where I could take Freya on our 6hourish layover on Wednesday? If there are any recommendations for food, that's cool too. I don't remember Newark too well, but from what little I can recall and can find online, it sounds like a real drag.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Newark is a drag. I don't know Elizabeth well, but it is also kind of a drag. Will you have a car? There are a lot of options within a twenty minute drive. When is this happening?

If the weather isn't great, I highly recommend the Newark Museum, which is free.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

IKEA! Its in Elizabeth across from the airport. There is also, I think, a Toy's R' Us in the same lot as IKEA. Miles loves just running around IKEA. They have their toys out in the kids section for kids to try out like the kitchen and sometimes a slide. Miles also thinks it's fun to just try the beds and couches and chairs. With Toy's R' Us Miles would be happy just to sit in all the cars they have on display for hour. I have no idea what else is around Newark airport.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:48 pm 

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a conference for four days, which is the longest I've ever been away from Scarlett. I'm not sure if I'm more nervous or more excited! It will be my first time taking bags of breast milk through airport security. I'm sure that will be fun. At least there won't be very many bags, since she's only nursing 2 or 3 times a day now.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 am 

Thanks for tips! We are going today, after a night of virtually no sleep...crazy weird baby. I saw a couple of playgrounds in the area too but I dont have any idea about safety of neighborhoods so we shall see. We might just end up at the airport chapel (where it's quiet), and have a nap.

Moo, fwiw, we never had trouble with breastmilk. I had to taste it once but no hassle other than a little extra time at security.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:11 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yes, definitely IKEA! Jenna is smart. Plus it seems a little wet and cold today, so indoors is probably good.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:12 am 
Saggy Butt

Jason and Sven went to Minnesota for five days for his grandma's 80th birthday. I dropped them at the airport this morning, and it's my first time being away from Sven -- I'm not sure how to feel yet! Although it feels like such a vacation to be home with just Edie. Part of me is super excited for Jason to see how it is taking care of a toddler 24/7. Is that mean? I do think he's very brave for doing this!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm 

I have to say, flying without a small person squirming around in my lap and ripping my shirt off is quite relaxing.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:14 am 
Nailed to the V

I should have known it wasn't a good idea to bring a three-year-old to a meeting with my new boss. She said it was ok and everything, but it was obvious she didn't like it. Especially not when he drew on his chair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 93  Next