| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:40 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Tonight was lots of fun. I'm gonna miss being stupid with my best friend when I move. She keeps me chugging along. Sad.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Two upsides to the annoying mystery fever of doom: willingness to nap and opportunities to hear her say, "mama, I want to stop crying" and then actually calm herself down and stop crying (unfortunately many things make her cry when she doesn't feel good, like being offered food or drink, being cuddled, not being cuddled, watching tv, not watching tv, being awake, not being awake, etc.).

Downside is the not eating, not drinking, general crankiness, and waking up this morning before 6am after waking up four or five times overnight and needing someone to sleep with her all night.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ariann, that sounds awful. Howlong has M had this? Hope she's cooling down even as we speak.

Our 6 1/2 hour layover on Wed was shortened to 40 minutes! (Cancelled flight, mad drive to Chicago, another plane never showed up, EWR closed for awhile and no lie, the bomb squad called in GR before we left because someone left their backpack unattended). F and Istill use a carrier but thank the maker we had a stroller that day! Three more days here then home until next month when we take our real vacation...a weekend st the beach!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 pm 
***LIES!!!***

sheesh!

this fever is just since last night. But a couple weeks ago she had a similar mystery fever for four days.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:23 am 
Nooch of Earl

amonik wrote:
I should have known it wasn't a good idea to bring a three-year-old to a meeting with my new boss. She said it was ok and everything, but it was obvious she didn't like it. Especially not when he drew on his chair.

This is the sort of thing where (knowing my own kid) I basically wouldn't take anyone's word for unless they had at least 3 kids under the age of 5 (to ensure at least one slightly active one). When people say "children are welcome" they do not, generally, mean V.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

In the street I walked past a man holding a toddler in his arms. The toddler had a tiny toy- a matchbox car or something- and was rolling it back and forth on the man's shaven head. It was very cute.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:52 am 

Someone posted this to me on FB: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/2 ... mg00000063, noting that Freya was on the list (also Magnus, our chosen boy name). c&s and SN's boys names are both on there too. Vegans must be real trend setters. :p

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yesterday, Mr Crabby went to take the trash out. We have to take it down to the bottom of the driveway (which is really more of a private drive, since it is pretty long and we share it with a few other houses). Anyway, I was doing something with Vax in the kitchen and suddenly, I realise Raygold is missing. He was in the green bedroom with Beet and then he wasn't and Beet didn't know where he was! So I had Beet watch Vax and I was about to go put my shoes on and go outside looking for Raygold (not too worried yet, since I knew Mr Crabby was outside, too) when I heard the sound of a wheelie bin rolling up the driveway. I look out the window and it is Mr Crabby and Raygold. Raygold had put on his jeans on backward and was wearing his winter boots, which are the only shoes of his he can put on himself. When he came in and took his shoes off, I noticed he was wearing a pair of Vax's socks! He had even brought down his special step so he could open the front door without help!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:10 am 
Married to the wolfman

refinnej wrote:
Someone posted this to me on FB: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/2 ... mg00000063, noting that Freya was on the list (also Magnus, our chosen boy name). c&s and SN's boys names are both on there too. Vegans must be real trend setters. :p

Ha! That's us!

Did you see the 2013 list from the SSA? I thought it was fascinatingly odd. Some site (Jezebel maybe?) did a round up from it and I seriously thought I had been linked to the Onion at first.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

refinnej wrote:

Yeah, it's interesting how some Scandinavian names are getting popular in other places now. There are a bajillion Magnuses here, but it is pronounced MOW-ness. I've also heard of several American families naming their kids Thor variants which is apparently hippy and weird over there, but nothing unusual over here.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Yeah, it's interesting how some Scandinavian names are getting popular in other places now. There are a bajillion Magnuses here, but it is pronounced MOW-ness. I've also heard of several American families naming their kids Thor variants which is apparently hippy and weird over there, but nothing unusual over here.

M goes to school with a little Thorfinn. But, I think at least one of his parents is Scandinavian.

Magnus was really popular here the year E was born. Like, in my town. I have met a ton of 5 year old Magnusses.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wanted to name Sven Torbjorn or Magnus, but Mr. Coot made me tone it down.

In the US, Scandinavian names seem to be considered unusual anywhere outside of Minnesota (which is where we are from). I had no idea the name Sven was going to trip up so many people down here!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:23 pm 

Babynut (2.5 years old) got a new two piece bathing suit the other day with my partner. He grabbed it off a sale rack on their way to meet some friends at the sprinklers in the outdoor area of a museum that we frequent. He put the suit on her and she immediately started sobbing about the top. She would NOT wear it, yelling "it shows my belly!!!!" which makes absolutely no sense because she was happy to take off the top and run around in just the bottoms. No big deal, right? As they were leaving, one of the museum security guards told my partner that Babynut couldn't use the sprinklers next time unless she had on a top.

I can't even imagine why they would care? Very annoying and weird.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:30 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah I was like "wait Magnus is really common!" and then I realized it's because I have a weird fondness for Danish TV.

We are tempted by the (Dutch) name Ysbrand, but that would get some head scratches I'm sure ;) Just gonna have to go with Beavis.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I know a baby Thorbjorn here! His dad is Danish and his mom is American, so she sometimes calls him "the thunder-bear." Cute, although kind of a lot for a 3 month old to live up to.

Since we're talking about Dutch and Danish names... my second day in Denmark, after we moved here, I was at a party with Mr. Scandi and two of his colleagues came up together and introduced themselves to me. They were called Freek (the Dutch one) and Lasse (the Danish one). And I thought "Freak and Lassie? Seriously?" But after almost 4 years I'm all adjusted and even tried to get Mr. Scandi to consider some more traditional Danish names for tiny wu, though he wasn't totally on board.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:33 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Babynut - you flaunt that topless look as long as you can - don't let the man get you down. Malka often goes topless swimming (wearing boys trunks or a swim diaper with cloth diaper over it), nobody has ever said anything to us about it.

I suggested to my SIL she should've named her Finnley Thorfinn instead, because that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 am 
Nooch of Earl

Did they let boys go in swim trunks and no tops without comment? Strange.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:51 am 

Dude. There should be some sort of bottoms-only protest at the sprinklers/museum. Why does a 2 1/2 year old need to cover up? I can only imagine what the security guard would think of the swimming pool here where carers of young children often just change right on the lawn next to the pool. (though I must admit it was pretty funny one day when F spied a boy changing and said to me "what is *that*?" heh)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:52 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's so weird. i mean seriously.

that reminds me my MIL was telling me that my SIL would strip naked anytime she was near water when she was a toddler.

she took the two older boys to a lake i think for swim lessons and brought her along and she would see the lake and get naked because she associated water with bathtime.

my MIL said she just gave up trying to keep her clothes on her cause she was in the midst of wrangling 3 kids

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 pm 

Yeah, it's not even clear to me how the guard would know if she was a boy or girl? She was running around in little shorts! And yes, there were lots of boys at the sprinklers without tops so I think it definitely was a sexist thing. I'm not sure if it was just the guard's personal opinion or a policy of the museum. We will have to do further research.

This weekend we had sprinkler time in the park with plenty of other topless kiddos, one totally nude, and many in undies. Scandalous!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Did the guard see the attempt to put a top on Babynut? Did he hear her being called 'good girl' or something? Anyway, if two year old boys are allowed in the sprinklers without tops then two year old girls should be as well.
I almost think toddlers running about in swimming shorts is more appropriate than in a bra style top (and bottoms).

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:45 am 
Impressive boner

Baby Godzilla's middle name is Ragnar. Mr8 played up the "leader of great armies" meaning to his Mum, but confessed to me that he got the inspiration behind it was from a gaming character.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:35 am 
Nailed to the V

Ragnar! I love it! It's going on my list for when(if) we have another. Roger and Ragnar, doesn't that sound great?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Just did a first round of clothing purges, bagging up all the stuff under 2T I could find to go to Goodwill. A lot of this stuff was worn by both kids. Some of it I just have such strong memories with. Man I am sad now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:28 pm 

Oh, I was actually just thinking of you this weekend! I have some baby stuff that I need to get rid of, but I'm really struggling with letting it go. I remembered you talking of putting some things away, knowing that you could always sort it out later, that there was no rush. Whew. Hope you can find a way to have a bit of catharsis and feel better. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 92  Next