| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mooo wrote:
At what age did your kids successfully eat with utensils? Out of laziness, we've avoided giving them to Scarlett because we don't want to clean up the mess. Is it weird for a two year old to eat with her hands?

My mom thinks it's weird, and comments on it every time she sees my daughter eating, but I don't care. I have given babynut utensils since she started solids (with little or no expectations that she actually use them). I model using them myself obviously, but beyond that I don't try to suggest or show her how. I figure she will get it someday/when she wants to. It is not a big priority for me. I do ask her at each meal which kind of utensil she wants and she does try to use forks, spoons, and chop sticks, but she mostly still uses her fingers at 2.5.

We had brunch yesterday at a vegan restaurant with extremely fine-crumbled tofu scramble. It came in this pretty molded shape and babynut quickly destroyed it trying to use a fork. So much scramble on the table, my leg, baby, floor. I felt awful for making such a mess! A spoon was not much more successful. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We periodically give Giles eating utensils - he mostly just plays around with them but periodically he will surprise me and actually scoop something up and eat off the fork. He makes a huge mess when he has utensils though, scooping up food and flinging it around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 am 
Nooch of Earl

I started offering utensils sometime in the 12-18 month range.. I would say that V's gotten a lot more dextrous with it in the past year. She can eat things pretty well with a fork or spoon unless they tend to fall apart…We haven't introduced knives yet. She eats oatmeal for most breakfasts and at this point does very well with a spoon for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

when you guys are out in areas with other kids like the library, a playground, or whatever what do you do with those kids that are basically running wild begging for attention?
im talking about OTHER peoples' kids not if your kid is doing that.

im not really a kid person and i dont relate well to kids or know how to talk to them. i really only do good wiht the age range i have experience with so with BP at 14 months i feel comfortable up to like 2ish.

i dont believe in policing other peoples' children so i just tend to ignore.
ive stumbled across a couple instances where some kid was just like dying for attention, not being exactly bad but kind of going wild.

for example at the library today we went into this little room that had a table and a play kitchen and a rack with hand puppets on it.
Charlotte was standing up against the kitchen and doing her version of playing with it which was basically poking it. this older kid came in (3ish?) and was playing with the hand puppets but then basically just started ripping them all off the rack and flinging them.
fine, whatever, i really could care less. you wanna fling stuff be my guest but im not going to give you a reaction. he kept looking at me like i was supposed to react some how.
eventually either Charlotte was done with the kitchen or he was making to much noise for her liking (she is so damn sensitive) so i picked her up and left.

the "PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME" kids give me anxiety.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sven is 2.5. We start each meal with utensils and they usually get removed when he starts stabbing the table with the tines of the fork. Half the time we still feed him from our forks because he won't actually sit still long enough to eat. I figure he'll get there eventually! He's pretty good with a fork unless it's a trick item, and also not 100% with a spoon yet -- he still has trouble keeping it level on the way to his mouth.

LisaPunk, I don't like to police people's kids either but I do feel like there's a point when it's good to show kids a little guidance if they're not getting it from their parents. I'm a hang-backer with my own kids but I think at some point kids are emboldened by having their behavior ignored and if it is interfering with other people in society you're not doing anyone any favors by not gently correcting them or letting them know that someone disapproves, even if it's not their parents! When other kids are driving me nuts, I tend to make comments to them that are either just truthful statements or I statements, rather than telling the kids what to do or what not to do. I find that if other parents are within earshot, it goes over a little better than telling their kids they are doing something wrong. Like at the library, I'll say gently, "This is a quiet place," or if they're encroaching on our personal space and it's getting distressing, I'll say, "He doesn't seem to like that." Or things like, "These are for everyone to use." It's kind of just an extension of the "sportscasting" that we parents do all day long with their own kids. And I think it helps to do it without a sense of annoyance or malice and with the idea that you're just offering the kids some helpful information.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:00 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah i guess if he was actually doing something bad or was bothering my kid in some way i would say something but he wasnt actually bothering BP, well technically he was but she is very easily bothered by the presence of other humans so i had to cut him some slack for her ultra sensitiveness.

im good with the little kids when they like come up and are interested in something i have i can show them and talk to them or if they try to take a toy out of me or BP's hands because they dont know any better im good at gently telling them we are playing with it but here look at this. its the older kids when they are clearly looking for attention from me i dont know what to do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oh FFS.. Every time one of these happens I groan because we'll all catch that much more shiitake from doctors and bystanders about how we feed our kids: http://gawker.com/mother-refused-to-tak ... 1596246663

Nevermind that my 2 week old had gained >1.5 lb over her birth weight via good ol' human milk. But it's good to know that Whole Foods only sells vegan things! I've been ignoring their faux meat counter this ENTIRE TIME!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:06 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I just got an email from VeganCuts, they're doing a kid box: http://vegancuts.com/offer/vegan-family ... 20Shipping

Looks like mostly baby care products and squeeze pouches. I'm mulling over ordering it. Probably most useful for those with an older infant or newborn + toddler, unless you like the idea of keeping squeeze pouches until a baby's on food (so, not sure about their 'shower' suggestion unless it's for somebody who already has a kid)..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

annak wrote:
Oh FFS.. Every time one of these happens I groan because we'll all catch that much more shiitake from doctors and bystanders about how we feed our kids: http://gawker.com/mother-refused-to-tak ... 1596246663

Nevermind that my 2 week old had gained >1.5 lb over her birth weight via good ol' human milk. But it's good to know that Whole Foods only sells vegan things! I've been ignoring their faux meat counter this ENTIRE TIME!

i really hate shiitake like this because it makes people think that vegans are wack jobs who refuse to take their kid to the drs even if they are sick.

you could replace the word vegan with any other group of people, there are nut jobs every where and in every group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Speaking of pouches, does anyone know of an empty pouch-type container that I could buy? Like all vegan babies, tiny wu loves those squeezy pouches, but we only buy them for long plane or train trips. It would be cool to have a refillable container like that to put homemade food in--smoothies, soup, etc.

Probably it's a huge novelty factor, but I can't help imagining that she might eat more just because it seems fun to her. So, any leads?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:41 pm 
Saggy Butt

ScandinaVegan, I know Beaba makes one. I think they are a French company so maybe you'll have luck finding them in Denmark.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:32 pm 
And you never will.

I've heard good things about Little Green Pouches! (And they're dishwasher safe, if that matters to you)

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Green-Pouc ... B00AM5NTIS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 am 
Nooch of Earl

We have the Beaba one and it's great, although easier for a kid to drop and make a giant mess than the commercial pouches. But we used to use it a lot for applesauce and yogurt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You guys are awesome! I am so impressed! We'll be in the US later this summer to visit family and I'm planning an Amazon order of some hard-to-get stuff already. This is definitely going on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

random annoyance: at our kindergarten orientation, they dropped the bomb that the kids have to wear uniforms. I haven't explained it to D yet but she is going to be super-bummed to not be able to wear what she wants! Navy pants/skirt and a white top. UGH. This is public kindergarten! They did say it was school-wide but hmm the few times I've been at the school I don't think I saw any kids dressed like that, so I wonder what the hell that's all about.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:24 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

wow uniforms for kindergarteners?
that's rough!!! :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 am 
Nooch of Earl

Two more days of surviving nearly-6-week MIL visit. Just two more days where I have to avoid completely snapping or otherwise screaming at her, and then the toddler rehab afterwards.

I am so tired of her offering V snacks without any regard for mealtimes or our plans or even what is in the kitchen (try explaining that we're all out of something after she offers it to her). Or asking a two year old "what she wants" for a snack and expecting ANY other answer besides sugar-laden carbs.

I am tired of her constantly telling her she is a "good girl" when she does something that really has no moral dimension to it, like get to the toilet on time. (I don't want the assumed corollary to be that she is a "bad girl" if she can't hold her bladder a certain amount of time!)

Not really playground related, but I'm tired of her keeping the door to the yard open constantly. If she wants to have an outdoor cat, good for her. But our cat is decidedly an only kitty, and he doesn't interact well with other cats. He can't get out of our yard when the gate is closed but skinnier strays can get IN, and I have no desire to break up an altercation with a toddler and newborn around. No matter how much I plead for the cat not to be let out (and even if she does leave the door open it's as simple as closing the baby gate on the stairs since he spends most of his time upstairs), she just totally ignores it.

And that goddamned happy song on repeat. I forking hate that song.

(This is actually just scraping the surface of things driving me nuts. The real issue, of course, is that I've told my husband a million times that if he's going to invite over houseguests he needs to be around to host them. Instead, he went back from paternity leave EARLY, won't take any additional leave while she's here, and even works later than normal hours. Then when he's home he hides behind the xbox/laptop/a book/etc. ARGGGGH)

Curious if anyone's found a good way to negotiate in law visits when there are kids involved and they tend to overrule your parenting. It's really hard to say no to V after she's promised something from someone, and I think it's just beyond obnoxious to offer things to other people's kids without consulting their parents first..but clearly this is not a universal sentiment. I'm pretty laid back for a few days or a week or something, but a month and a half is a long time to have your kid eating junk all day long.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh god annak im sorry. family visits are tough especially in law family visits. i dont really have any wise words.

all i know is my FIL tried to get BP to eat frosting when she was like 3-4 months old. my MIL claims he would have never actually let her eat it but i dont believe her! normally im very laid back and non confrontational especially when it's not my own family but i said if anyone put anything in her mouth i was going to be insanely angry.
of course it's way easier to do that when you have a 3 month old baby rather than a toddler.
the only thing i can think to do is speak directly with her about what you want and that's never easy. would be nice if you husband would do it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Annak that sounds so awful! I'm so sorry you've been having to deal with that, and best of luck for these last two days. I think you're a saint!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:24 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry annak! That sounds horrible!

My stepmother and Dad were here for 4 days, and in that time, my stepmother shamed my 20 month old for not being potty-trained (her grand-daughter potty trained at 18 months as we were informed about a billion times), so she held her poop for 3 days. Finally, I sent B to distract her with shopping so our kid could take a shiitake without fear. ]

I have no advice, only commiseration. And I didn't have a newborn which would make everything eleventybillion times harder.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mooo wrote:
At what age did your kids successfully eat with utensils? Out of laziness, we've avoided giving them to Scarlett because we don't want to clean up the mess. Is it weird for a two year old to eat with her hands?

Westiebaby is only 18 months [today!] and eats mostly with her hands, but she does use a spoon most days for at least part of a meal, and has been quite good with it from ~14-15 months, I think...

Image Image

Congratulations on surviving, annak, you must have the patience of a saint!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hang in there, annak, you're almost done! I can't even imagine but you sound like a trooper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Found a preschool! Super psyched!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mooo wrote:

Not weird! Most 2 year olds are still poopin' in their pants, so I say eating with their hands is a big deal either. Do what works best for you! I mean, if she wants to use utensils and is mad that she isn't allowed (which, I suspect, is not the case), that's one thing, but I am all for less mess! Raygold will still put his utensils down and eat with his hands and he is 4 -- and was always WAY better at feeding himself with utensils than Beet was at similar ages. Scarlett will figure out how to daintily and tidily eat with utensils when she is older; I wouldn't be bothered. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you guys i think BabyPunk has a little admirer. it's a little creepy cause the kid is like 8-10.

we were at the library the other day sitting by the board books and this kid came over and was all interested in her and showed her this book about spiders and was flipping through showing her all the gross nasty spiders.

so anyways i didnt think anything of it.

today we were at the public pool and towards the end of our time there this kid appeared and was sort of just sitting next to us in the water like staring at us. im not too social and i dont really relate to kids well so i just ignored him. but he was just like there. like smiling at us. and he like wouldn't leave.
im not 100% sure but i really think it was the kid from the library!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92  Next