| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:08 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

When my in-laws visit, they don't tell the kid "no"... They just defer to us. "You want cake for breakfast? I don't know, you'll have to ask mom." "You want to throw the ball in the kitchen? I don't know, you'd better ask dad." Seriously?! Either let him do it or tell him no yourself. I always feel like it's mrdub's job to tell his parents what's up... So I just bite my tongue and stew in my own thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:35 am 
Nooch of Earl

The whole time I was pregnant I was really looking forward to getting rid of pregnancy, newborn, etc. stuff as the baby got born/older. Now I can't even bring myself to pack up the maternity clothes - I know people have talked about this before but I didn't think any of it would hit me because I'm not sure we've ever had an urge to have more than two.. still, I'm finding it really hard to close that chapter even though realistically I know this is silly and if I want more maternity clothes in the future I can always just -buy- them, right? I mean, by the time I was ready for another baby even if I wanted one, the clothes would be old enough that I'd probably go buy a bunch of new stuff anyway.

It feels so silly, but so hard to let go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 am 
Chip Strong

I feel similarly silly. If we ever decide to have a third it wouldn't be for a loooong time yet I have all of my maternity stuff packed away and we still haven't gotten rid of any baby stuff. I keep saying I'm going to donate our cosleeper but I can't bring myself to do it. And Alice didn't even use the cosleeper so chances are we wouldn't use it for another baby anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:09 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm starting to get rid of baby stuff, but still struggling with it. (Maternity stuff I forking hated and ditched fast.) One of my best friends is pregnant-- I had known she was trying (it's been a long journey) and I thought maybe I'd feel better giving stuff to her, but I don't! Still makes me sad!

Also, she is having a girl, so she doesn't want the clothing, which is the majority of what I still have.

(Also also, she can't stop talking about how she is having a girl. She knows it's a really sensitive subject for me, and yet sentences like this fall out of her mouth every time I talk to her: "I feel bad saying this to you because I know you wanted a daughter and will never ever have one!!! but I'm totally shopping for girl clothes and look at this adorable little dress I found for my little girl!" I'm happy she's so happy but really please just stop.)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:56 am 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry C&S, that is hard.

A woman we see at the park was talking to Leela and said "Tell your Mommy that you need a brother now. Don't you want a little brother to play with? You need a brother!" First, don't talk to my child to try and get her to manipulate me, second, you have no idea what my situation is. I can't have another kid, and I really don't need to feel any worse about it. As was said in the women who have chosen not to have kids thread, my uterus isn't santa's workshop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it sometimes AMAZES me what comes out of peoples' mouths that they think is ok to say. and worse sometimes they think when they are talking to the kid that they can say stuff they would never say to the adult.

ive struggled giving away stuff too. first my cousin was pregnant so i gave her somethings, now my best friend is pregnant so i went through everything again. i find going through in pieces is a little easier. im not planning on having more kids but i never planned on having one so i get nervous giving stuff away.

i have one box of stuff that is like sentimental/dont give away and the other stuff of things i like, i keep going through and getting rid of more and more of it.

i still have my maternity clothes which is literally like 3 pieces of clothing but i would have no problem getting rid of it as i absolutely hated being pregnant and it's one of the biggest things keeping me from wanting another was how much i hated the experience. i could totally take that shiitake out on the lawn and burn it.

the baby clothes i find hard to get rid of cause i go through them and turn into your stereotypical hormonal mush pile of "ooooh but look how cute this one is! remember when....."

we havent gotten rid of any of the newborn gear yet because we still use it. the cosleeper is still attached to our bed (i use it as a place to put stuff and as a safety net in case BP rolls), the swing she still sort of fits in and i use it when i shower. she is still in her infant car seat (though the convertible one we bought is in the garage so we'll switch that soon).
it's one of the benefits of having the worlds smallest baby is you can use stuff literally forever.

my cousin's kid whom i gave her a bunch of stuff for is almost a year younger than BP (9-10 months i think?) and he long surpassed her in weight and my cousin joked she will give me her hand me downs now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm not done having kids, but when it comes time to get rid of the clothes, I was thinking of selling the stuff in good condition in ebay, freegling anything not worth selling, and making a patchwork quilt out of anything tattered and maybe out of a few sentimental favourites. My maternity clothes are awesome (I scored a ton of really awesome stuff for next to nothing when babystyle.com went out of business) and I will probably just wear some of them as regular clothes (the style of most of my maternity stuff doesn't scream "maternity") and sell the rest on ebay.

That said, I have worked hard on breaking my attachment to stuff for the last 2-3 years. It's still a work-in-progress, but I've come a long way. I know how hard it is for most people to get rid of sentimental things. (I still struggle with throwing away things that could be re-purposed because I am kind of obsessive about not being wasteful.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I have a big old pile of maternity clothes sitting in front of my closet right now...it has been there for more then a week because I don't know what to do with it! I could keep them "just in case" even though we have no plans for more kids, try to sell them at a consignment shop or on facebook yardsale site, or give them away either freecycle or thrift store. I just can't make up my mind!!! And then the newborn clothes are getting too small...what to do with them! I didn't anticipate having a problem with getting rid of any of this stuff. I am not usually a packrat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sven just outgrew a huge amount of clothing (toddler boy stuff that I don't really want to save and use for Edie) and I totally cried while taking it out of his closet! I have a friend who is having her first boy so she is the planned recipient of all his old stuff, and I should feel psyched about it, but I have a really hard time thinking about getting rid of his things! I had some favorite shirts that I'm weirdly attached to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

So I actually managed to pack up a bin of my not-favorite maternity clothes. Stuff that I either got used and rarely or never wore, or super cheapo target stuff I won't miss. Baby steps. I know it's such a little thing, but I'm frustrated with myself over this..especially because the longer I wait, the more out of date the stuff will be and less likely to get used by somebody else, and I know I was happy to get a big bin of maternity stuff on craigslist to have a good pile of basics. So I feel like I really SHOULD get rid of it ASAP. I'm not normally a sentimental person so it really is surprising!

Oh, and in other news, there's this giant steaming pile of law enforcement:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ake-photos

What. The. WHAAAAAT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:49 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I didn't have much in the way of maternity wear - I wore yoga pants + XXL band tshirts leftover from an old boyfriend to work most days because I am classy and stylish. However, all over Brooklyn there are those clothing donation boxes and while I've heard perhaps sketchy things about the stuff not actually going to charities but being sold, space is at such a premium that whenever we accrue a shopping bag-size pile of clothes no one's gonna wear, I drop the bag in one of those boxes. Haha and my brother has twin girls who are exactly one year older than D so every once in a while my sis-in-law will drop off a giant bag of clothes to me at my office. Welp, it would appear that she dresses the twins in primarily appliqued jorts/jean skirts and that isn't really our style so the bags have been sitting around here - so I just laid the bags out on the hardwood floor of my office and took a nap on them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

P.S. - I do have some 12month and up clothes that we really loved that I'm trying to pawn off on someone (LisaPunk I PMed you) but if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll stuff a package full to mail! some funny stuff like adidas track suit etc., oh and a nice quality winter jacket with the shell and inner fleece liner too...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hey Audrey, I'll send you a PM, but I'm also interested. We'll be in the US from next Friday til late August with family so we could take advantage of domestic postage!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have trouble putting away clothes that are too small on my son! I plan to use them for my next child but when I put them away in the bins I'm always "Awe he'll never wear this again!"

Well, one more week of this God forsaken trimester! Looking forward to not feeling nauseated all day and being able to cook something other than pasta and rice. I also want my energy back. I ate three of Amy's burritos for dinner and now I never want to see them again. lol

Also, why do I keep finding mold on my food! I clean frequently but it still happens. I bought lemons and the next day one had mold on it. Later that day I was eating an almond butter sandwich and I found mold on the bread. Ah couldn't this have happened months ago before I got pregnant so that I don't have to be paranoid! The bread was less than a week old.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had stomach acid hit the back of my throat earlier today. It was painful. Is that considered heartburn or acid reflux? I got heartburn during my last pregnancy but not acid in the throat. I hope this isn't a long term thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

I usually don't post in this thread but I saw this today, and I thought some of you might enjoy it. I thought this would be the best place for it. It's an old episode of Mr. Rogers in which he shows how baby humans and baby animals eat, and it features a lot of breastfeeding. I think it's really sweet. I wonder if it would air without controversy today? (The beginning is kinda creepy if you hate ventriloquist dummies.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got a bike seat for babynut to go on my bike today. It's been on order for a few weeks and I've been worrying about her being scared of it or otherwise not liking it but it came in today and we tried it out tonight. She loved it and it was so much fun for me, too. There happened to be a free outdoor concert off the bike trail by our place, so we stopped and listened and watched the sunset before heading back home.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:58 am 
***LIES!!!***

Kal wrote:
I had stomach acid hit the back of my throat earlier today. It was painful. Is that considered heartburn or acid reflux? I got heartburn during my last pregnancy but not acid in the throat. I hope this isn't a long term thing.

I think heartburn and reflux are the same thing. When the heartburn kicked in during my pregnancy I was convinced I was dying it hurt so much, I had never had heartburn before - the first night I stayed up all night in pain, then called the midwife at 7am who was like, are you an idiot, just go take some Tums. Tums didn't touch it, I eventually went on to more serious OTC heartburn stuff - I was told all the OTC heartburn medication is considered safe for pregnancy. If that's not enough, there are also prescription heartburn drugs that are considered safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 am 
***LIES!!!***

We just spent a week at camp (I was working, she was playing) during which Malka ate almost nothing and complained of a stomach ache the entire week (I also had a stomach ache the entire week, something was funky about the food, although I can't imagine what), but I decided I must be an awesome parent because the other two kids in the babysitting program ate, I kid you not, lunches consisting of croutons and french fries and nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:07 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yay bike seats! We have the iBert and V loves it.. She's getting almost too big for it, which will be a sad day - I guess we'll have to move to something trail-a-bike-ish, but those probably wont' be able to go on trails as well. We tried to kickstart a better in-between measure but it didn't get funded enough.

Can't wait 'til Julia's big enough for the iBert because at least then I'll get to use my bike!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We have the iBert, too! It is so awesome. We both absolutely love it. It's so much fun now that Scarlett can have actual conversations and we can talk about what we see while we ride. I've been wondering about the next step, but it seems like the iBert will work for a while longer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
Kal wrote:

I think heartburn and reflux are the same thing. When the heartburn kicked in during my pregnancy I was convinced I was dying it hurt so much, I had never had heartburn before - the first night I stayed up all night in pain, then called the midwife at 7am who was like, are you an idiot, just go take some Tums. Tums didn't touch it, I eventually went on to more serious OTC heartburn stuff - I was told all the OTC heartburn medication is considered safe for pregnancy. If that's not enough, there are also prescription heartburn drugs that are considered safe.

I can't remember if I took Zantac or Pepcid, but whatever it was worked amazingly well. I'm a firm believer in not trying to tough things out if there's safe way to deal with pain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 pm 
Chip Strong

Is tipping a thing in all schools now? Or is it just our area? We got an email from the director at Ada's preschool about how it is traditional to tip the summer staff at the end of the session and how much the average is. During the school year we gave the teachers a group gift (and the lead teacher when she had a baby) and the class parents collected money from us. This just seems like it could be a bit awkward if people are giving different amounts of money. And the lead and assistant teachers Ada has for camp will most likely be her teachers during the school year. I don't remember all of this tipping going on when I was growing up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Kal wrote:

i had horrifyingly awful acid reflux my entire pregnancy. i think i started on prilosec 1x a day and when that didnt help they told me to bump it up to xantac 2x a day.
like Ariann said there is also Rx stuff you can take which i probably should have done but never had the energy to do it.

also people on the ppk told me about something called Gaviscon which is like Tums but works better (IMHO) people told me to get the liquid and not the chewies that are like the Tums (little chalky tablets) and i think either the chewies were cheaper or i didnt see the liquid when i went to get it and holy crepe are they disgusting. i mean it's literally like eating a piece of chalk. i would take them then down a ton of water and try not to puke.
HOWEVER they did help in conjunction with the xantac 2x a day. they worked much better than Tums for me. i think i found htem at Target

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

sashi, I have never heard of such a thing! That sounds incredibly bizarre and honestly kind of presumptive to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 97  Next