| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so curious about the tipping! If you don't mind me asking a few questions: How long is summer school? And how much are you expected to tip? Do you pay for the program or is it free?

I've never heard of tipping your teachers in cash (as opposed to Sbux giftcards), especially when they're going to be the ones grading you next year. Isn't there some sort of concern about maintaining impartiality, where there needs to be a cap on the value of gifts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:04 pm 
Chip Strong

The average for camp was $10-25 according to the director's email. She had a lead teacher, assistant teacher, and two helpers. Camp was seven weeks and Ada went three days a week for 3.5 hrs a day. And yes, we pay a bunch for it. During the school year we gave a holiday gift, gift to the teacher after her baby, and end of the year gift. But it was called a gift, not tipping. I think it was $30 each suggested for all of those? And the class parent split everything up among the teachers, assistant, and yoga teacher.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 pm 
Chip Strong

Also the gifts during the year were anonymous so the teachers never knew how much each person gave, if anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tipping after summer camp, particularly day camp, is *extremely* common in this area. I think it makes a little less sense for a camp that is just a preschool summer program, but for many of my friends who were day camp counselors the tips made up a big chunk of their very poor income.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yes, I would say tipping (gifting cash or gift cards) is common or expected in our area. It surprised me when I started working here as I don't think anyone does this where I grew up. I don't know the routines for private programs, but it's not actually legal for public programs although they do it anyway. I think it is better when a class parent collects and gives one lump sum so no one is singled out for not contributing or giving too little.

I am a teacher and I do not expect anyone to tip or give a gift, although I imagine some teachers do. In fact, I always think it is extra rude when a few parents (there is always at least one) refuse to contribute to the class gift and pass me a gift individually to make sure I know how generous they are being. Yuck. That being said, teachers work really hard and don't get paid enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is blowing my mind! I had no idea! Should midwives get tipped? I'm intrigued.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am 
Nooch of Earl

My mother was a (private) preschool teacher in the Midwest for 30-ish years and did not get tipped by parents, that would've been really strange. She received gifts and gift cards for holidays and end of year from a lot of students, but certainly didn't expect them. I guess maybe it's a New York thing! But as a midwestern native my first thought is wow, the school's trying to cheap out of paying their employees decently and then pressuring the parents to pick up the slack instead of just raising tuition?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:04 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Wow, I've never heard of that around here! I'm going to ask around and see if it's common.

And Lard, if I felt pressure to tip my midwife in addition to paying out of pocket for my homebirth I'd be pretty miffed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've never heard of tipping medical professionals.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:09 pm 

I don't think medical professionals should be tipped! I meant that to me, tipping teachers sounds just as bizarre. But I know New York is pretty different than most other places when it comes to preschool and private school.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I asked on FB and it sounds like in Austin tipping for summer programs is not standard but holiday/end-of-year/teacher appreciation day gifts of money/gift cards are definitely a major thing. Most people seem to contribute to a class gift and then give the teachers individual gifts as well. I am so glad this came up because Sven is starting preschool next month and it's really a whole new world for me!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:41 pm 
Chip Strong

The class gifts didn't bother me so much but it's the individual tipping that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Especially since Ada will have the teachers next year. Agh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 pm 

Sashi, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the teacher is a complete crasshole it shouldn't matter if you tip or not. I'm sure that you are a normal respectful parent, which goes A LONG WAY with teachers. Teachers deal with tons of super-crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

a little random TMI: Dahlia totally busted us mid-coitus. She stood in the doorway laughing until we shouted "Close the door!" Ahhh it had to happen sometime, right? Later on we had a talk about knocking before entering but she didn't even ask what we were doing! Howard was prepared to tell her we were wrestling.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:18 pm 
Semen Strong

Bahahahhaa!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

Haha! I have such a clear memory of the first time we felt like our baby was too old to be in the same room (I mean, asleep). Now I feel lucky that she still sleeps in a cage she can't escape from, so there's no danger of wandering in!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:00 pm 

Wow, that tipping thing is weird to me. Too bad I missed on that during like 10 years of preschool teaching. :

Audrey, we had our first experience with this not long ago. We got back after holiday (involving many other people, shared bedrooms, Aunt Flo and Lard know how many other roadblocks to nookie) and sure enough, F comes wandering in after just an hour's sleep. She was completely spaced though, she didn't even remember waking up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Magician is having a lot of exciting life changes lately. He moved out of his crib thing and into a real bed, started wearing underwear (pretty much 0 accidents for pee, but jeez let's not talk about the poop situation), has gotten a lot more descriptive in his speech and has also decided to spend about 90% of his waking hours pretending to be a cat.

Yesterday we were at a kid's museum and he was crawling around pretending to be a cat (because, you know, cats) and I said to him kinda loudly, "I don't think this is a great place to be a kitty cat buddy" and another mom nearby just lost her shiitake laughing.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh wow, how is M old enough for all these things, I'm sure he was just born?!
I can't imagine Westiebaby ever chilling out enough to be in a big bed, but that's kind of how every big change has felt so far, seems impossible and far-away, then suddenly boom! they're doing it!
The cat thing sounds both insanely adorable and potentially very frustrating! I can totally imagine Westiebaby being like that, except it's dogs for her, all the way!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

our friends have a daughter that is about a year or more older than BP (year and a half maybe?) and a few months after BP was born we had a couple friends and their kids over and this particular little girl apparently wanted to do everything like their dog including eating off the floor. at one point she had a piece of i think corn on the cob on our kitchen floor and was eating it like a dog much to the embarassment of her parents.
the actual behavior didnt bother me i figure just let her do it but i was really grossed out because my floor is not clean enough to eat off of! we have two big dogs of our own so she was basically eating dog fur/dirt corn.

good for the ol immune system i guess! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 am 

Why does goldfish=childhood in our culture? I really don't want to stuff my kid full of crackers all day long but I feel like I am alone in this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 am 
Nooch of Earl

We obviously never got into goldfish (why do they put milk in ALL of them, even the pretzel and plain kinds?) but "circle crackers" aka ritz are like crack for Vi. She didn't live on them or anything, but I started restricting them more because it was making her poops hard and comically difficult for her to push out! Like she'd have tears streaming down her face and she'd be saying "I CAN'T WIN! I CAN'T DO IT! Mommy, hold my hand! It hurts my bottom!" which kind of made us crack up but then we felt like the worst parents ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

OK, annak, I laughed so hard reading that so clearly I am also a terrible person.

But yeah, the crackers seem to be such an American thing! All three of us are here in the US for a month visiting and it seems like all the families I see are snacking ALL THE TIME. Obviously I always have emergency snacks around--because who hasn't been the starving vegan who can't find anything to eat?-- but after 4 years living abroad I am really not used to seeing kids eating all day long, everywhere they go. Butternut, clearly the answer is to move to Europe with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 pm 

ScandinaVegan wrote:
OK, annak, I laughed so hard reading that so clearly I am also a terrible person.

But yeah, the crackers seem to be such an American thing! All three of us are here in the US for a month visiting and it seems like all the families I see are snacking ALL THE TIME. Obviously I always have emergency snacks around--because who hasn't been the starving vegan who can't find anything to eat?-- but after 4 years living abroad I am really not used to seeing kids eating all day long, everywhere they go. Butternut, clearly the answer is to move to Europe with me.

I wish I could! The day I posted that the teacher at her preschool said "her heart was breaking" when Babynut was crying for goldfish during snack (subtext: and couldn't have them because I'm a heartless bisque).

I sent in some "high-interest" snacks that I don't really want her eating even though they are vegan so no one's heartbroken. Blarg!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:21 am 
***LIES!!!***

The awesome preschool director at Malka's new preschool asked me for a list of approved snacks :) And also said, if Malka is eating it, why shouldn't everybody eat it? It was awesome. Their daily snack is milk, fruit, and something carby (why?). Now the trick is to convince Malka to drink her soy milk out of a cup instead of a bottle. Good luck with that, preschool lady. Also relying on them for potty training, since the tiny bit of interest Malka was showing (motivated I think solely by the desire to wear Tofulish's Leela's hand-me-down underwear) has completely disappeared.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 97  Next