| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:00 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

snacking at the playground drives me nuts sometimes. Like I'm all for playing and then maybe sitting down and having a snack but often kids are being handed food constantly while they're running around and I'm like "yo save that for when you want the kid to sit still on the way home or something!" But I shouldn't judge because maybe these kids refuse to eat at other times so the parents are trying to cram food in them while they run around? I don't know.
and the school snack thing - yep fruit, milk and "a grain product" means GOLDFISH usually. D got really spoiled on me making her those homemade cheezy quackers (in our case stars because I wasn't buying ANOTHER tiny cookie cutter) and we all love them, and she told me by the end of the school year that the other kids were jealous of them and would crowd around while she ate them! I seriously doubt she shared though haha.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

We are probably the people with way too much food on the playground! But we basically take our lunches at the park/splash pads half the time so it's a plan that we will eat there. Although I don't bring peanut products and we keep food on the benches so I don't feel quite so terrible about it.

Sven is going to preschool in a few weeks and the snack is always fruit, or occasionally dried fruit. I'm cool with fruit but the fruit leather/dried fruit kind of bugs me. Other than that, though, everyone brings there own food and drinks and there are 8000 restrictions due to food allergies and the school's health guidelines.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Audrey, what recipe do you use for the goldfish crackers? I was just looking at the one on the Chloe website and wondering if that would be good. I know there is one in VeganLunchBox, too.

Tonight dinner ended early because she started screaming bloody murder for crackers. Ugh! It was my fault because she was happily eating chickpeas and quinoa until I asked her how snack was at school today. Then she only wanted crackers. She didn't give a shiitake about crackers until this week because we never eat them or have them at home. I have some specifically for school this week. I did not cave. I did try to lie and say we didn't have any but she goes, "I can show you where they are!" She's getting too smart for my tricks.

Ariann, that sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:09 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, they are all getting much too smart. Yesterday Malka happily informed me that I did in fact have more chocolate (when I had told her the day before there was no more), it was just on top of my dresser! So then I let her have my last square of chocolate for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

kids are way too diabolically smart for grownups.
BP isnt even verbal yet and she's way smarter than me.
the "out of sight out of mind" trick never worked with her. she'd be like "ummm it's behind your back you dolt now GIMME"

im in trouble when she starts talking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Regarding them being too smart -- we are currently on an iPad hiatus so I can reintroduce it with lots more boundaries after Sven has fully gone through withdrawal. The first few days of it being "broken" and at the "repair shop" Sven kept saying, "Wanna SEE iPad. Wanna SEE broken part" like he totally didn't believe that it was really broken. I think he's still testing us to see if we will slip up and change our story!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:28 pm 

Ha! I always it's not charged.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 am 

Babynut is recently OBSESSED with our two cats. Which is fine, actually even welcomed due to the fact that I worried why she didn't seem to care much about them before. Now, I have to keep a keen eye on her as she actively hunts the cats to tries and pick them up and carry them around. Just stop! Both cats are old. One cat is super grumpy and quick to scratch and bite. The other cat is a big sweetheart, but HATES to be picked up or carried.

In addition to keeping watch over the action, I try to make times each day for her to pet the cats gently while I hold them, watch, etc. My cats keep looking at me and saying, come on now, we didn't sign up for this shiitake! Sorry!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm grouchy today. Originally, the girls' ped appointments were supposed to both be later this week. Late last week they called my husband, asked if they could reschedule, he said fine. Only it was only J's appointment that got rescheduled, for today. That was a little annoying but my husband didn't ask about V's appointment when they called, sigh. Anyway, I get there, and she's fine, the appointment goes quickly, but they wouldn't give her the immunizations because she is not technically two calendar months for another couple days. (* sarcastic aside: I'm sure the CDC thought it was critical for babies born in January to get their shots more quickly than babies born in July *)

So now I have to go back at some point, reschedule my older daughter's appointment anyway, and may as well have just rescheduled both later if I'd known it apparently wasn't that important for shots to be on time. Anyway, just call me another example of someone who is behind on vaccinations - and it isn't because I'm some sort of hippie who is refusing to vaccinate my child, it's because they have to make these things as difficult as they can to accomplish.

I know it sounds like a really minor thing, but trying to get everyone awake, dressed, manage various potty trips and diaper changes, fed, myself showered and dressed, and then drive the sometimes forty minutes, sometimes a @#$%ing hour to the base depending on what the security situation/car backup at the gate is.. the whole thing ends up taking most of the day, and all they really did was weigh and measure her and look at her hips. I know that's not ALL, but… anyway I'm just really irritated. It seems like no matter what it is impossible to accomplish everything I set out to do when I go out to run errands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's really irritating annak! Any one of those reasons would be enough to be annoyed. Not to mention every time we go to the doctor someone inevitably catches Norovirus or something awful.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 am 

Yeah, I would be livid in that situation, annak. It was their fault that rescheduling the appointment resulted in nullifying the purpose of the appointment! I think schedulers for any health care appointments are VERY familiar with the time requirements between appointments, ages, etc. That is the job.

I know as an adult when I call to change dentist appointments that they check on this so obviously someone made a stupid mistake for you guys. Can you ask to combine the shots at Vi's appointment?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:42 am 
Nooch of Earl

The military hospitals tend to do the vaccinations in a dedicated office and send you off there at the end of your appointment. The thing is, they don't really think of asking you to come back another day as being a big deal at all, since most people live on base and it is very compact. But for those of us who live off base (not something you have a choice about one way or the other - it's mostly mid-level officers and senior enlisted off base, since there's not as much space in housing for us..but that's most of the people we know well), it's a big pain in the butt because the base is in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Question for y'all that have been pregnant:

So I have this friend who has been having a pretty hard pregnancy, it's her second baby, and she loved loved being pregnant the first time, so she's really bummed this time around. It seems like at every stage it's been bad, morning sick lasting all trimesters, getting lots of other flu-like stuff, etc... Anyhow. She's been so ready to birth this baby, but it won't come out! She says she's been in pre-labour/prodromal (I don't know what those mean) for weeks now.

So I want to make her up a care package to leave at her place. I'm already signed up for meal baby, so not something food related... I was thinking something that would be a special, indulgent surprise. So the fact that I would like it to be a surprise and the fact that she doesn't need a bunch of questions coming her way when she's already stressed is why I'm asking here. Do you think someone in pre-labor would be able to have/enjoy a bath? Maybe bath stuff? That feels like kind of a ridiculous question, but pregnancy is a super mystery to me. But if she has the baby in the next couple days, it'll probably be a while before she can have a bath again yeah? I don't know, cause of what happens to parts? What about... gosh when I think of things that could be relaxing and soothing, all I can think of is bath salts. Some kind of creams that feels good? bah. What did you want when you had a shitty pregnancy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 pm 

They (they being my OB) usually say you can take a bath as long as your water hasn't broken (but... water births, so whatever).

Honestly, when I was at the end nothing really sounded good except getting the baby the eff out. You are a super sweet friend to do this, though! I think the bath/massage stuff is a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

all i wanted was someone to rub my feet and ankles for like ever.

i think i had a normal amount of swelling but man did my ankles forking hurt.

i had a shitty pregnancy and i cant think of anything i ever wanted other than it to be over (and my ankles to be rubbed)

i echo what pinko said it's super duper nice of you to try to think of something. you're obviously a great friend.

the other thing with a bath is depending on how big she is and her own comfort level it might actually be hard to get in/out of a tub. though i think my mom said she took a bath the day she went into labor with me.

is there any like housework or grocery shopping or menial tasks you can do for her?
i think maybe the only other thing i would have wanted was for someone to tell me it was ok for me to be a lazy slob and not do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

ah maybe I could offer an ankle/foot massage. I'd do that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:15 pm 
Semen Strong

You do beautiful flowers! How about a lovely bouquet and some teas or essential oils?

I had a prenatal massage close to the end of my pregnancy and it was heaven. I still remember it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:26 am 
Nooch of Earl

I had swollen feet for the last few months of both pregnancies and wouldn't really have wanted them touched (but compression socks! ahhh.)

Also as someone who's had a late summer baby, I would have passed on a hot bath. In late pregnancy I always felt like it was about 5-10 degrees warmer than it was! So while I was bummed the first trimester in winter that I couldn't take a bath, I didn't want one by the time I could safely. Sigh. But maybe something she could use for a cool foot bath?

Anyway my vote would be a nice book or movie - something lighthearted and ideally that can be enjoyed in smaller bits of time. And yes, teas are nice too (especially ones that can be enjoyed as iced tea).. OH, maybe some nonalcoholic sangria? Whole foods in Alexandria used to sell a great bottled one, although the San Diego one didn't.. but you could probably also make one. I know you said no food gifts, but I missed wine so much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Not sure what the weather is like in Portland, but it's been suuuuper-mild here on the east coast lately (it's been getting into the high 50's at night) and I have been pretty much taking a bath every night (I'm 35+ weeks pregnant.) A sweet friend of mine gifted me epsom salts and tea in the first trimester and I have been using them a lot lately. I also have some really nice smelling bath salts that I use a little of, combined with the epsom salts. I would vote bath stuff, maybe some tea, and pretty flowers or a little plant to brighten her day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The bathtub was the only place I felt comfortable toward the end of my pregnancy. My OB said bath salts might help with the swelling. I also loved massages.

If she'll let you babysit, she would probably love one last adult date night before the baby comes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Okay, this is totally random. We got on a train the other day and there was some dragon toy on the table across from us that some kid must have left behind. Then, when we get off the train, this really mean looking lady goes to the door and throws the dragon toy at us, while giving us the worst. stink-eye. ever. I mean, she was really glaring at us! I was all, "it's not our toy," but she just stood there glaring as the doors closed and the train pulled away.

It was pretty funny once the stink-eye wore off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Today I did another round of baby clothing purging. I didn't actually find much baby clothing (which was disappointing, I'm trying to put together a box of stuff for a friend of a friend) but I found a ton of toddler stuff that the kids had worn the hell out of, and started packing up the cloth diapers for another friend.

And I'm just as sad as every previous time I've rounded up baby stuff. (This is my 4th or 5th major cull in the past 2 years.) And I can't help but feel like, I'm never going to stop feeling sad about this. And no one in my life understands why I am sad about this. At least it feels that way. It's just a big piece of a closing of a door that I don't feel ready to close.

So I am sitting here and crying a little, trying to remind myself that I don't have to feel this all now. I have time to feel sad about this. No hurry. And I was getting myself back together when I had the thought, if I only get to have two kids-- I'm glad it was these two. Which didn't make me stop crying if you can imagine.

Ok ok, sad parent melodrama post over.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I feel like that sometimes c&s. It's really weird for me because I don't want another baby. But I really, really love babies. It's just so sad to know you won't feel those feelings again because so many memories are attached. It has gotten a lot easier over time though. I hope it does for you too <3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:22 am 
Nooch of Earl

This is why I haven't really gotten rid of anything, C&S. I felt sad just binning up my maternity clothes, even though I didn't really enjoy pregnancy and don't really want a kid.

And I'm pretty sure we're done having kids, but even if we changed our minds I could always just buy more stuff, right? But it's like getting rid of the baby stuff makes it tangible somehow. I am like this in other aspects of life as well - I hate making choices because I don't like to close off options. This is just, basically, a giant version of that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't had this experience yet because we are still hoping for more kids. But on this trip to the States Mr. Scandi and I cleared out our storage unit in California (storage unit sounds grand--actually corner of neighbor's basement) of stuff we'd left when we first moved to Denmark, planning to return in a year. And even though most of it was stuff it was easy to send to Goodwill, some items were really hard. My neighbor and I were talking about how it's hard to let go of some things, even though you know you won't use them again and don't need them, because when you did use them, you were a different person with a different life. And it's hard to let go and accept just not being that person anymore, being someone different now.

It seems to me that with maternity/baby stuff you have to get a little extra time to mourn because you're letting go of two people, you and your baby, both different people now than you were. So that's twice as hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next