| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:40 am 
Semen Strong

I am not very sentimental, but the way I make giving clothes away easier is by keeping a bin in our room. Whenever an item doesn't fit any longer, it goes right into that bin and we take it to the domestic violence shelter. That way I have no time to get attached to it or distance to form a nostalgic attachment and it goes to a good cause!

I didn't do that with L's NB diapers (thinking we might have more kids), and now I can't bring myself to give them away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

In my case, the stuff has been put away in bins for ages. I'm not typically sentimental about physical objects (at all, to an extent I think many of my friends and family members find maddening), and it's not the clothing I'm sad about. It's just a concrete step towards never having another kid.

Aside from things that has basically worn into pieces, everything I've gotten rid of has gone either directly to someone I know or has been donated. Which is great, I'm glad someone is using it-- pretty much all of our kids' clothing was purchased used and so it's nice to continue the circle of life.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 am 
Married to the wolfman

And annak, I think you hit it-- I just hate forking doors closing.

Re: maternity clothes though, I was basically lighting that stuff on fire the day after giving birth. I found a maternity shirt yesterday, I think it must have been the very last one, and I seriously recoiled when I realized what it was!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dont *think* i want anymore kids (though not 100% sure) but sometimes i just want to squeeze BP and be like "oh god dont get any bigger!!!!" i love this toddling around stage. i mean i will so have a party the day she has all her teeth and also another party when she finally decides there are other people in the universe other than mumumumumumum which she must ALWAYS be attached to but it's really hard to let go of the little wee babies who are 100% dependent on you because eventually they become their own human and something special is done.

i have a hard time going through clothes and actually giving it away and not keeping it "just in case" even though i reaallllllllyyy dont ever want to go through pregnancy again so that might trump any desire for BP to have a sibling

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have done pretty well with the getting rid of things up to this point, but yesterday while I was rocking Bastian to sleep it hit me like a ton of bricks that he was my last baby and that soon he was not going to want to be rocked to sleep and there would be nor more baby giggles and fat rolls...man I teared up. I reallllly don't want to be go through pregnancy again, and don't feel like we have the finances or energy for another baby, but the finality of it all is hard to face.

(Ha - LP - I just realized we both "reallllly" don't like pregnancy ;) although for me the actual labor/delivery was a peice of cake, so sad my one true talent in life is pushing out a baby!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We definitely don't want any more kids, but pretty much literally second after I gave away all of Sven's old clothes and all our newborn stuff to a friend I started to regret it and feel sad that we had mentally finalized the decision. It has been surprisingly emotional! I think the first time I see her baby wearing any of Sven's things will be very hard, and will probably continue to be hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

coldandsleepy wrote:
Today I did another round of baby clothing purging. I didn't actually find much baby clothing (which was disappointing, I'm trying to put together a box of stuff for a friend of a friend) but I found a ton of toddler stuff that the kids had worn the hell out of, and started packing up the cloth diapers for another friend.

And I'm just as sad as every previous time I've rounded up baby stuff. (This is my 4th or 5th major cull in the past 2 years.) And I can't help but feel like, I'm never going to stop feeling sad about this. And no one in my life understands why I am sad about this. At least it feels that way. It's just a big piece of a closing of a door that I don't feel ready to close.

So I am sitting here and crying a little, trying to remind myself that I don't have to feel this all now. I have time to feel sad about this. No hurry. And I was getting myself back together when I had the thought, if I only get to have two kids-- I'm glad it was these two. Which didn't make me stop crying if you can imagine.

Ok ok, sad parent melodrama post over.

Ooohh is this for my friend? <3

Sending soooo much love to you and your feeling-the-sadness.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:33 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I thought some of you might enjoy this…

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/hell ... of-my-baby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just saw this on facebook:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Ha! I laughed way too much at that, annak. I hate baby shoes/socks so so much, so I frequently never bothered putting my kids in them, even in winter (well, so-called winter here in CA). You would not believe how many old ladies were shocked that my babies' feet were bare. Got so many comments about that.

On a different topic, my partner is taking all 3 kids to the park by himself. I'm sure he'll be fine, but it's the first time this has happened! I'm terrible at imagining every worst case scenario possible... Doesn't help that our son is a runner, and tries to run away whenever he can.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How do I tell my family that we really don't want to go to yorks animal kingdom with them for ethical reasons? They are really excited to do this with E because he will LOVE it. ugh. makes me feel yucky.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 pm 

Ugh. I would just tell them the truth? If that is not possible, then say something about how it's too long a day for young kids blah, blah, blah. I had something similar when my dad wanted to take babynut fishing.

You guys, I just labeled everything and bagged up all the crepe needed for the first day of preschool! Babynut already ate the grapes I bought for her lunch so I have no fresh fruit. Woops. Also, I spent about $150 on random snacky-dos, crackers, fake meat, dried fruit, seeds, etc. at Trader Joe's today. I'm hoping that stash will last a long while and make packing lunch easy (along with leftovers and sandwiches) IF my partner and I can keep out of it anyway.

I'm excited for her but sad for me because this means my first day of work is tomorrow too. Blah.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought that Animal Kingdom was going to involve animatronic animals, like the Magic Kingdom. So we ended up at AK with family, and we ended up concentrating on the rides that didn't involve animals (Dino Land). I feel like a bit of an idiot about it, but what can you do?

So while ideally you could say that you don't want to or that "Oh its too hot (because it is SO hot right now)" maybe a plan c might be to do the rides section of the park, if that is a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just got home from V's first day of school (a short one, this week they only have half days). I think it went mostly OK, though she seemed a bit bummed when I picked her up. She says she likes the teachers and had fun and wants to go back tomorrow, but she did allude to an altercation over the classroom mermaid toy. Another girl took it (this could mean anything from "had the audacity to play with a toy V wanted" to "actually did rip the toy out of V's hands and wouldn't share"), she doesn't like that kid.

Italians tend to be a little more hands off with solving kid disputes compared to Americans, and while I sort of like a bit of Lard of the flies atmosphere that lets the kids sort out their own conflicts, it's still heartbreaking to see your kid upset. I've seen kids here be just plain mean and kinda rough. I doubt the langauge barrier helps either. I think it may be starting to sink in to her that people can't understand her, and I'm guessing the first couple of months might be tough in that respect. It'll be good for her in the long run but it's really, really tough to throw her to the wolves, linguistically!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Matt and Jonah have a stomach bug. Starting the countdown until I get sick (and simultaneously trying not to hypochondriac myself into feeling sick).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
Matt and Jonah have a stomach bug. Starting the countdown until I get sick (and simultaneously trying not to hypochondriac myself into feeling sick).

Apparently the answer was 10 hours. But Jonah is already better and back at daycare, so I'm taking this as a magical day home without the baby. Internet! Sleep! Blogging! Ginger ale!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:12 pm 

Pretty sure Jonah was fed another kid's bottle of breast milk at daycare today. We sent him in with three bottles. His paperwork said he ate all three. And he came home with two empties, one full, and another empty bottle that's not ours with his name scrawled on a piece of masking tape.

Hope you enjoyed the variety, Jonah!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, that is pretty wild. Are you going to say anything?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 am 
Saggy Butt

Well, you'll have to try to return the bottle, won't you?

Hope another kid wasn't left hungry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 am 

Definitely going to say something. The CDC says you're supposed to treat this as if the baby might have been exposed to HIV, which seems like overkill, but it's not like it's without any risk. Also, I'd be so pissed if I were the other mom. She probably sat hooked up to a pump in some dingy closet at her work to make that milk.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:52 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Whoa. I wonder if there are two Jonahs? I'm hoping that what happened was that he was hungry, but it was too early for a full bottle, so they poured some in another bottle? That's what I told my mom to do with the full bottles my SIL was leaving for my mom.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm 

So we still don't have the whole story yet because the person who gave him the bottle wasn't in today. They know who it belongs to, and turns out it's formula.

The part of the story that we have so far is that one of his regular teachers set out his last bottle of the day to be warmed just before she left for the day. The person who fed him the bottle doesn't work in his room specifically, but just at the daycare in general. The daycare is taking it very seriously (which is good), but we'll have to wait until Monday to get the rest of the story.

There's not another Jonah. There are only six other kids in the infant room. There's a rule that all bottles and bottle caps have to have the kid's first name and last initial. All of Jonah's bottles have his full name with permanent labels. This one just had masking tape with "Jonah P," so someone at the daycare labeled it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 pm 

That is not okay. I'm sorry, Mollyjade. I would be fuming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:23 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The reason Disney movies never had moms, and it is very sad.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/why-disney-ch ... 00060.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

hope his tummy is ok! i would think going from vegan breastmilk to (most likely) dairy formula might be rough on his tummy!

sounds like they are taking it seriously which is good!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 99  Next