| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Kelly wrote:
Can I complain about people not putting sunblock on their kids here? I keep seeing the same kids covered in sunburn and hearing their parents say "I don't know why the sunblock didn't work!" and it makes me so stabby.

only if we can add parents who are proud when their kids get a tan? I like my kid pale. color means I forked up.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 am 
ol' garly cooch

mittenmacher wrote:
Before I had a baby I did not know how good their breath smells. Walter's breath smells like frosting. I smell his mouth all the time. I assume this will change when he starts solids and has teeth, but it's been lovely.

I miss this smell SO MUCH. When both kids started walking, their feet smelled, well-like feet. They lost that baby toes smell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you all with little kids, discovering the joy of having kids play with cardboard boxes? it continues, apparently, to age 11- i got a new stove and Sprog has converted it into a time machine with some kind of dioramas inside. she won't let me inspect too closely, saying that it will send me back to the stone age where i came from. i am pleasantly surprised to see that she's still hanging onto some precious corners of little-kid-hood as she eases into being a teen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

torque, i very very fondly remember playing dress up and pretend until i was even 13 or so. i didn't like to do it where anyone could watch me, but i was very definitely sashaying around my bedroom in lace doilys and bedsheets, and constructing elaborate buildings and devices of various types until just before i started high school. i like the line about the stone-age too!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

appifanie wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Can I complain about people not putting sunblock on their kids here? I keep seeing the same kids covered in sunburn and hearing their parents say "I don't know why the sunblock didn't work!" and it makes me so stabby.

only if we can add parents who are proud when their kids get a tan? I like my kid pale. color means I forked up.

I've actually been meaning to ask the ppk about this. We always put sunscreen on Kai every time we go out. The california baby brand too, so not even some bootleg stuff. Yet, he's definitely gotten a bit of a tan. Like when he takes a bath you can see he is a bit whiter where his tshirt/shorts usually cover.

His caretaker does take him out for walks twice a day as long as it isn't raining, and we almost always do something outside on the weekends.

Am I really the only one this happens to? Is it really bad, like how they say 1 sunburn in childhood increases risk of skin cancer later in life? He's never actually gotten red, just little by little over time he's gone from ghostly white to a little tan on his lower legs and arms. I'm definitely not proud of it, more worried than anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

You're not the only one, Aubade. We use the california baby stuff too, and I slather that stuff on. Ezra still gets a bit red. It looks like he's taking after me though - ridiculously pale and prone to burns. We do our best to stay out of the sun during the peak sunny times of the day, and then when we do go out, try to stick to the shade. It's frustrating though - Ez and I just went grocery shopping, and he was wearing a white shirt, which really brought the red out (he's not RED red, guys, just barely enough to register as different), and two women came up to him and made a big deal out of his "burn". Thanks sisterhood of america, I'm doing the best I can!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:15 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yep Dahlia has tan lines! which freaks me out 'cause I'm definitely careful with the sunscreen and we don't even spend that much time outdoors. I think some kind of color must be inevitable. And she starts to look really red after like 15 minutes outside but when we get home it goes away. I'm sorry nosy ladies are bothering ya though flavabean, I wish people would just mind their own business gahhh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Just to clarify, my comment about tan lines was about my tan lines! My back looks pretty bizarre thanks to the straps on our carrier.

But, yeah, Inez gets a little tan even through sunblock. She has my husband's (insta-tan) complexion and I think it's just unavoidable to some degree. I don't think it's quite the same as burns with regard to cancer risk, but I could be wrong. I'm sorry people are giving you a hard time, flava! Inez was kind of squinty at the farmers market because she'd just woken up and some lady was loudly tsk-ing about how "that tiny baby shouldn't be out in this bright sun." Give me a second and I'll put her hat on, you old cow!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

accidental tans are acceptable, but being proud because your kid has color - that's my point. :) anyway, i used the kiss my face 30 and missed the very tops of her shoulders the last time we went out and she was a little red :(

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We live in California and spend a lot of time out in the sun. We would have to be crazy not to use some sort of sun barrier for the Emperor. I usually sunblock his face and arms and do pants on his legs.

He is getting really into putting the sunblock on his face himself.

My Ergo looks like it should be cleansed with fire regardless of how many times it's cleansed by washing machine.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah, Dax has tan lines even though we do suncreen anytime we're out more than 15-20 minutes. I don't think he's ever gotten a burn, but his cheeks turn bright pink from heat!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We always use sunblock & hats for both kids too (except shae doesnt use a hat @ soccer) and they both have minor tan lines. I'm not worried about it because I know we are super thorough!

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not one of the noisy ladies! :) I'm talking about super painful sad sunburnt kids, not just accidental pink sunburns. Back when I posted that, I had seen the same girl twice, 2 weeks apart, with fresh bubbly sunburns, talking about how much it hurts and her parents were blowing out nonsense about the sunblock "not working". SO sad. Also, my sister does this shiitake with my niece, who is now old enough to say stuff like "no, mom. you BROUGHT the sunblock, you didn't put it on me" DOH.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

May I recommend looking into Solumbra products?

They have kids' stuff, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

littlebear wrote:
I watch my cats to make sure they are breathing, sometimes I will wake up at night and feel them to make sure. Man, I am going to be one paranoid mom!

I do this with my oldest dog he just sleeps waaaaayyy to soundly sometimes and I get freaked out that he's died. I have been known to put a mirror under his nose before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

GuineaPig wrote:
littlebear wrote:
I watch my cats to make sure they are breathing, sometimes I will wake up at night and feel them to make sure. Man, I am going to be one paranoid mom!

I do this with my oldest dog he just sleeps waaaaayyy to soundly sometimes and I get freaked out that he's died. I have been known to put a mirror under his nose before.

I have frantically shaken my dog awake before, convinced she was dead because she was sleeping so sound. The mirror trick is much nicer!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm 
Bought a crop of bad girls

My son has discovered how funny poop is. He likes to sing "Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder how you POOP!" And then laughs and laughs. He is only 2 1/2! I thought I would get a few more years before the poop and fart jokes begin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

denali wrote:
My son has discovered how funny poop is. He likes to sing "Twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder how you POOP!" And then laughs and laughs. He is only 2 1/2! I thought I would get a few more years before the poop and fart jokes begin.

You have to admit a pooping star is pretty darn funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think I've shaken my guinea pigs awake way more than my kid. But I do like to put my head down with my ear right next to his nose/mouth and listen to him breathe. It's part of how I fall asleep at night.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

hahah re: Guinea pigs - I've never actually seen one in person, but Dahlia has a Golden Book she loves called "Baby Farm Animals" and there is a page for guinea pigs where it asks "Have you ever seen a guinea pig's tail?" and Dahlia always says YES, even though neither she nor i have any idea what a guinea pig's tail looks like! (I sorta assume it's like a bunny tail?) anyway, RANDOM...

also, her other fave book is Caps For Sale and she goes crazy screeching and shaking her hands at "the monkeys" alllll the time, out of the blue when we are not even reading that. I feel bad encouraging her to screech but it's kinda hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Walter used to be able to suck on his feet, but his gut must have grown because now he can't bend over it to get to them. He is so frustrated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mittenmacher wrote:
Walter used to be able to suck on his feet, but his gut must have grown because now he can't bend over it to get to them. He is so frustrated.

I'm pretty sure I need a video of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Audrey wrote:
hahah re: Guinea pigs - I've never actually seen one in person, but Dahlia has a Golden Book she loves called "Baby Farm Animals" and there is a page for guinea pigs where it asks "Have you ever seen a guinea pig's tail?" and Dahlia always says YES, even though neither she nor i have any idea what a guinea pig's tail looks like! (I sorta assume it's like a bunny tail?) anyway, RANDOM...

also, her other fave book is Caps For Sale and she goes crazy screeching and shaking her hands at "the monkeys" alllll the time, out of the blue when we are not even reading that. I feel bad encouraging her to screech but it's kinda hilarious.

They don't have tails! That is really funny. They're like humans in that they have tailbones with nothing on them.

I kinda miss the Emperor being super fat. Now I can feel his ribs and stuff! I never thought the day would come that that would be possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Pinko wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:

I'm pretty sure I need a video of this.

yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

tziporah is finally walking for REALS... at one week shy of 17 months. good god, it feels like we've been in the pre-walking stage forever. today was the first day that she spent more of the day walking than crawling, and only really crawled once or twice in the morning. she just discovered momentum too, so she's been barreling around the house and cackling like a madwoman.

we celebrated by going to buy her proper shoes, as i've been making do with cheapo soft soled walmart pairs that make her feet sweaty and started wearing out the second she actually took some steps. i'm annoyed at how hard it is to find affordable, vegan, flexible soled shoes in canada that aren't the crappy "fashion" type sold at like the gap and H&M. pretty much impossible, i'd say... i'd love some suggestions. she was completely in between sizes on a couple decent brands, which sucks, as she's very unsteady in the larger size, plus her feet grow really slowly. i want something that fits perfectly now!

anyway, guys, you don't know how relieved i am. i wasn't exactly worried, but she has been on the cusp for literally weeks and weeks, and she starts daycare this week which only technically allows walkers. she's not ready to be walking to the park yet, but at least i know she's heading there fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, Tzippy! She's going to be off and running now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next