| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Grey sleeps with us, pillows, blankets, Frankie, cats and an elephant. He can crawl and move around so I no longer worry about suffocation. I worry far more about being punched or kicked in the face.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

You guys, when do you ship your kids off to preschool? Ezra will be 2 1/2 in October, and we weren't planning on starting school until next year (so he'd be about 3 1/2 then). But we saw friends this weekend, and they asked if Ezra was excited for school this fall. When we told them we didn't have plans for schooling this year, they seemed completely shocked!

There are a couple of places that will take toddlers at 2 1/2 around here, but they really seem more like daycares and not a structured environment at all. Ezra isn't at that age yet where he's interested in interacting with others much, and I can't imagine him enjoying an assigned naptime... and if we're going to be paying thousands of dollars worth of tuition, I want him to get something out of it!

This is how it normally goes, right? Preschool at 3-3 1/2? We were all ready for that, but this couple acted like we were the Worst Parents Ever when we told them our plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am 
Married to the wolfman

Really depends on the kid and the family. It would not have occurred to me to send E to preschool if I hadn't gone back to work... Though he has always been so socially geared that maybe we would've thought of it eventually.

It might be old fashioned, but I feel like kids have their whole lives to go to school/be away from their parents etc. If you don't need/want the break from him and he doesn't seem like he needs the social atmosphere, why bother?

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

yeah a friend of ours was freaking out because they missed the deadline for getting into a preschool here, and I was so confused 'cause their daughter is only 2.5. My friend said amid the freakout "I'm NOT homeschooling this kid" and really seemed like she HAD to get away from the kid, which I can totally understand, but it made me feel weird because Dahlia's almost a year older! And we've toyed with the idea of sending her to at least a Y program or something. We've never done it for the very reason c&s talks about above, well that and a healthy dose of completely distrusting strangers with our kid. I feel bad about the fact that she doesn't get to play with other kids very often and kinda observes them at the playground like they're some fascinating other species, but also one thing we've run into is that all the preschools here mostly have full days, no doubt to accommodate working parents. But neither Howard nor I are ready to have her be away from us from 8:30-3pm!

in short, I don't really know what my point is, other than I totally get how flava feels...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

From TSA's page about traveling with children:

"Passengers cannot leave babies in an infant carrier and attempt to put it through the X-ray machine. Babies should be carried through a walk through metal detector by a parent or guardian."

Um, yeah, thanks for letting me know. I totally would've sent my child through with my shoes and laptop otherwise.

Geez o Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm with coldandsleepy on this one, I don't see any need to send kids to school super young. We didn't send Shae to preschool at all, kindergarten was his first foray away from home and me. He didn't suffer at all because of it. Silas will be 4 in October and most likely won't be going to preschool at all either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:48 pm 

refinnej wrote:

"Passengers cannot leave babies in an infant carrier and attempt to put it through the X-ray machine. Babies should be carried through a walk through metal detector by a parent or guardian."

Um, yeah, thanks for letting me know. I totally would've sent my child through with my shoes and laptop otherwise.

Geez o Pete

The scary thing about this is that it sounds to me like they have that notice because at some point someone DID try and put their baby through the x-ray machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

jogirl wrote:
refinnej wrote:

Geez o Pete

The scary thing about this is that it sounds to me like they have that notice because at some point someone DID try and put their baby through the x-ray machine.

Horrifyingly enough, I would not be at all surprised if this is actually like...a regular occurrence.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Henry is going off to daycare in about a week and a half (5 months). If I could stay at home with him, I would definitely choose to do that, but we both need to work. The only reason we can (barely) afford it, is that I work at the daycare and get a discount. He's been at home with his Papa since I went back to work at 9 weeks, it definitely helps knowing he'll be two classrooms down from me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:00 pm 

Oh, that will be great to be able to go down and sneak cuddles!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 am 
Semen Strong

Baby farts are awesome.

Leela is sleep farting as she nurses and I want to laugh so hard. Also, it reminds me of my friend whose NB farted constantly - these long ripping farts. We went over for dinner shortly after he was born, and politely ignored the incredibly loud farts for about 30 mins after which we spent the whole dinner laughing as the baby farted. It was one of the best dinners I've ever been to. His mom told us she'd taken him to Tiffany's as her first excursion out after he was born and the minute he felt the cold AC air, he farted so loud it echoed in the quiet of the venerable institution. She said everyone looked at her aghast, and she just backed the stroller back through the doors.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hilarious. I am still amazed at how loud babies can fart. Like adults!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am 

I always wonder how the farts can be so loud when their butts are so small. Is it possibly because they are completely uninhibited? Hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 am 
***LIES!!!***

Malka hardly ever farts and it's always quiet! I'm so bummed to be missing out on this awesome experience!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 am 
Married to the wolfman

Ariann wrote:
Malka hardly ever farts and it's always quiet! I'm so bummed to be missing out on this awesome experience!

This is the Magician too. The Emperor was a suuuuuper gassy baby though. He still has some incredible gas at times but it's not like a symphony of poots any more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kimba wrote:
Hilarious. I am still amazed at how loud babies can fart. Like adults!

Yes! I still laugh every time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We actually stopped going to church for Ezra's first six months, because he had such great timing (farting/pooping and burping throughout the entire moment of silence, for example.)

We're UU's, so everyone's really laid back, and we'd have at least two or three people come up to us after service to say how wonderful it is to hear baby sounds in the building, but I was mortified.

(They still say it's wonderful to hear him, but I think they're stretching it a little... since it's now more along the lines of "HELLO BRONTOSAURUS! HELLO LAMBEOSAURUS!" during the silent times.)

/excatholicguilt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:28 pm 

My sister-in-law's nephew (6 months or so at the time) was farting extremely loudly during her wedding. He was sitting up front, and I had to do a reading, and although it seemed like I was trying to hold back tears with my trembling voice during the video, I was actually trying not to burst into laughter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

A. farts all the time really loud and really hard. Sometimes she wakes herself up because they're so loud, or you can see her little bum go up in the air. She was at my job for a little and I went to say hello to my boss and she farted the entire time he and I were talking. It was kind of embarassing. Ah, good times! lol...

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:19 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Butternut wrote:
I always wonder how the farts can be so loud when their butts are so small. Is it possibly because they are completely uninhibited? Hmmm.

Smaller chamber = higher pitched vibrational frequency! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Will fell asleep next to me on the couch, so I've been stuck here for two hours because I don't want to move lest I awaken him!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:53 pm 

Heh. Been there. Thank goodness for smartphones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

refinnej wrote:
Heh. Been there. Thank goodness for smartphones.

Hallelujah. I don't know how people had babies before they were invented. I surely would have died from boredom the first month of marathon nursing/napping sessions.

I'm loving my newish kindle too. It makes reading so much eaiser while nursing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:58 pm 
Married to the wolfman

For serious. I have heard that some people are able to use their laptops while nursing but I am sure not able to. Smartphone saves the day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:43 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kindles are great for breastfeeding! I wish I'd gotten one sooner. I don't have a smartphone, but with the combination of my iPod (it has solitaire on it) and my kindle, I should be pretty set the next time I get pregnant (I spend a lot of late nights in the bathroom when I'm pregnant).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 92  Next