| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: constipation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

poor BabyPunk has been struggling with constipation for the past 2 days. like really straining to poo.

from what i understand toddler constipation is pretty common and i cant really point to anything in her diet and say "that's doing it"
she has a very limited diet because of her eating issues.

she eats:
soy yogurt
avocado
hummus
soy milk
nut butter (so far either pb or almond)

mainly she eats yogurt and avocado. (lately she has eaten so much avocado i actually googled whether avocado could constipate you even though i didnt think it could)

she samples many other things that we eat but the amount she ingests is very small. i had her eating soup the other day and was mushing up the sweet potatoes in it.
she also eats small amounts of sweets like ice cream or the CocoWhip we had on strawberry shortcake the other day.

the biggest thing i can think of other than it's just normal for this to happen to toddlers is she doesnt drink enough fluids. she still nurses. it depends on the day how often and she drinks soy milk.
i have decided to give up totally on the idea of smoothies because it's such a crapshoot whether or not she'll drink it. so if she doesnt drink it then she's not drinking something else.
she will drink regular vanilla soymilk if i dont try to hide anything in it.
because of her eating issues anything we give her we want to have calories in it so we give her soymilk and dont really ever give her water.
im thinking maybe we should always offer her both?

me and my mom are having a generational disagreement on the merits of juice.
i did get BP to drink prune juice yesterday (she refused today)
my mom thinks i should regularly give her fruit juice. i told her juice is the devil. she says "ITS JUST FRUIT!"
im not sure why she thinks i should give her fruit juice except in this concept does she think it has fiber?
this is not an area of nutrition i am overly familiar with (constipation) but my understanding is all the fiber from fruit is stripped out when you juice it and even if there is no added sugar in juice it is still basically a sugar drink.

plus juice and teeth=bad news and i already am having 80 heart attacks a day over her teeth.

the only benefit i can see to juice is if she likes it i can get her to drink more fluids but i kind of dont want to start that when she can drink water.

shes a tough one because although she isnt terribly picky flavor wise and will sample many different things, actually getting any quantity in her is hard.

anything else i can try?

she did finally poop a few nuggets. i think they hurt coming out. poor kid.
one time when we were at the nutrition clinic and talking about poop i think they said they dont like to see kids go more than like 2 days without pooping. BP goes several days without pooping then seems to all poop at once on one day. definitely more than 2 days and up to a week. since previously she had not been straining and her food intake was even lower we decided that was ok but now these past two days she has definitely been straining and it definitely hurt coming out today. even with her limited verbal abilities i could tell she was having a rough time pooping.

Post subject: Re: constipation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I agree juice is the devil. But whole fruit helps you poop if she will eat it - especially stone fruits (peaches, plums, apricots) and berries.

Sounds like more fluids would definitely be useful if you can make that happen - water in particular would be helpful, but breastmilk is also supposed to have some laxative effects (because I know all you want in life is to do more breastfeeding).

Have you tried a probiotic? I find that probiotics generally make you poop opposite to how you're pooping now - poop too little, take a probiotic, poop too much, take a probiotic, works either way.

Movement is generally helpful, although it seems like BP does plenty of walking.

Maybe she would drink a little fizzy water with Natural Calm (ask pediatrician first, it's not intended for toddlers)? That stuff for real makes you poop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Poor BP. You know we have had the chronic constipation with sebastian and it is so hard to see them in pain. My pediatrician's primary recommendation was juice. I think they work mostly as osmotic laxatives from the high sugar content (but I could be wrong!). It really worked for us to give him 2oz prune juice mixed with 2oz water per day. Since he came off breastmilk his constipation problem is gone, but I keep giving him the juice because I am so scared it will come back.
Everything else recommended to us invovled eating - such as eat smashed peas, sprinkle bran on everything he eats, offer more veggies, etc.
I did think it was helpful to keep his behind smeared up with lubricant (I used petroleum jelly) to sort of ease the passage of the stool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder if since she is starting to nurse less if that is the reason she is constipated.
maybe once she gets used to her new diet things will even out.

ive never done a probiotic with her because it's so hard to get stuff in her. i cant do the vitamins i was trying to give her because she immediately notices a difference in flavor if i try to put it in her drinks.

lubricating the bum is a good idea. she definitely was in pain today.

she hasnt wanted to eat or drink anything today.
she is a tough nut to crack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 pm 

The probiotics is a good suggestion. Would it be too truamatizing for her to syringe some in her mouth like you would do tylenol? You know mix it with some soymilk or water and then squirt it in? the probiotic powder we have dissolves completely and is tasteless. I mix it in his bottle everyday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Judah is kind of like BP in that he'll do most of his pooping over the course of 1-2 days. He often has a hard little turd and then the rest of his poops are ok. Since he gets a combination of breast milk, formula and solids we've found his stools have gotten harder than when he just got breast milk. What seems to be working for us is some prune puree and a healthy squirt (~1 tsp) of flax oil. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it seemed to add some lubrication to his stools and passing them has not been uncomfortable. I've found that fresh pressed flax oil (found at a Whole Foods type store here in Portland) has the best taste....kind of nutty...maybe BP wouldn't mind it?
Constipation sucks! Good luck, but yea for her eating more!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the issue with her is she is super opinionated. she will totally take tylenol from a syringe but i cant guarantee she would take something else (ah two year olds......)
if it's tasteless i could probably just put it in her soy milk.

do you use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Probiotic-10-Billion-Powder/dp/B00I054QZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435190698&sr=8-1&keywords=probiotic+powder&pebp=1435190704565&perid=17C3Y6941B57WK26GAAX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:22 pm 

yes, something like that. We use the infant variety from Klaire labs because that was the brand recommended to us by the doctor who saw bastian for his tongue tie (apparently tongue tied babies have different gut flora than those without?!)