| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When I went to college I couldn't prove immunization because my doctors office lost my records in a move so I had to get a titer test. I also managed to get pertussis despite having the TDAP.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

The only shot I remember being required (or at least strongly encouraged) for college was the one for Meningococcal Meningitis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 pm 
Dead by dawn

No vaccinations required for college, and I've always had health insurance (well, until 3 weeks ago...) Except for flu, tetanus and (more recently) tdap, I have had no vaccinations since I was a little kid. No health care provider has ever even mentioned measles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i really love my MIL but when she posts crepe like this on faceboook i feel like something in my brain is going to snap

http://www.fhfn.org/5-most-dangerous-vaccines-to-never-give-a-child/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Someone just posted on facebook that vaccines cause more damage then they prevent and that aids was spread through the polio vaccine. I just don't even... well that sure is a new one.

I have an anxiety disorder and reading stuff like that, even though I know it is BS, can set off an attack. (And that is why I have banned myself from the babycenter)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:21 am 
Nooch of Earl

Kal wrote:
Someone just posted on facebook that vaccines cause more damage then they prevent and that aids was spread through the polio vaccine. I just don't even... well that sure is a new one.

Remember in the early '80s when it became totally trendy in the gay community to go get vaccinated against polio?

Thank heavens those days are over!

I actually try to ignore FB vaccine postings, though in my case most people are ranting about people failing to vaccinate against All The Things (an acquaintance has been going nuts with the pro-vaccine stuff lately, and she's also posted in the past about how she used a "delayed" vaccination schedule for her kids because she figured the CDC schedule was bad for them). They make the troll in me want to ask when they were last vaccinated against smallpox, yellow fever, anthrax, etc...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:15 am 
Semen Strong

A measles outbreak was traced to a fully vaccinated person.
http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/ ... M.facebook

Quote:
That’s why a fully vaccinated 22-year-old theater employee in New York City who developed the measles in 2011 was released without hospitalization or quarantine. But like Typhoid Mary, this patient turned out to be unwittingly contagious. Ultimately, she transmitted the measles to four other people, according to a recent report in Clinical Infectious Diseases that tracked symptoms in the 88 people with whom “Measles Mary” interacted while she was sick. Surprisingly, two of the secondary patients had been fully vaccinated. And although the other two had no record of receiving the vaccine, they both showed signs of previous measles exposure that should have conferred immunity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jenny McCarthy tries to distance herself from the anti-vaccine movement.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews ... 0vemPERGlM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

beforewisdom wrote:
Jenny McCarthy tries to distance herself from the anti-vaccine movement.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews ... 0vemPERGlM

That's some pretty solid backpedalling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:29 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I dunno. Jenny McCarthy says "we are demanding safe vaccines" and that we need to "reduce the toxins" in them. How can you be pro-vaccine and imply that vaccines aren't safe?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I actually see her saying that as being good news. Her followers will still see her as "one of them", still trust her, and let her "modified opinion" influence them into getting at least some vaccines for their children. It may just save innocent lives.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The same argument is made for things like the Sears Vaccine Book, although just like in that case, people arguing for "safer" vaccines or vaccine schedules usually instill more fear than confidence and lead people to get fewer vaccines rather than more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Alica Silverstone joins the ranks of anti-vaxers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... nated.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:57 pm 

I think Alicia Silverstone uses the same doctor as Jenny McCarthy.

On reddit skeptic there is a huge conversation about her. Mostly about her anti vax views but there is some questioning feeding her child a vegan diet. Fortunately there are vegans defending the vegan diet.

Her book that just came out is called "The Kind Mama." I do not like that title as it sounds very shaming, especially considering that she is a wealthy woman. I read her blog a while back because I was a fan of Clueless and she seems to live in a bubble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Do you consider yourself a "skepdic" or do you just read that web board?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:38 pm 

I don't know if I have enough knowledge of science to consider myself a skeptic. I try to check sources but I'm not always sure how to read a scientific study. I don't believe in the supernatural or anything. I did try a few health fads a while back and got very sick. Often when I have a question I go to either the reddit skeptic board or the reddit science board and ask. Usually I'll get a lot of angry responses and get down voted, but sometimes someone gives me a detailed calm response. That's usually the fastest way I can get an answer without getting tons of fear mongering or threats on top of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got some interesting info this morning at BP's 12 month well baby visit.

she was due for MMR and varicella (and the pneumococcal one too) and i asked about the varicella one. i dont know if this is a regional thing or a national thing but we have this delightful fear mongering commericial here about shingles. it's got all this doomsday music and shows pictures of inflamed nerve endings and is like (creepy voice) "if you had the chicken pox as a child YOU ALREADY HAVE THE SHINGLES VIRUS IN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

so i asked if the same was true for the vax since i would think the vax is just a form of the virus.
my dr claims no. she said that kids who are vaccinated for chicken pox will also have immunity against shingles. she did say they are finding that the vax wears off after how ever many years so there will need to be boosters (it sounded like they dont exist yet) so she said if someone was vax'ed as a child and keeps up with boosters they will have immunity against shingles too.

they were also able to give her the MMRV shot rather than 2 shots which i was psyched about though the info pamphlet they gave me about it said kids are twice as likely to get a fever or vax related stroke in the MMRV shot rather than two seperate shots on the same day (1 in 1250 instead of 1 in 2500)

i also asked her thoughts on whether i needed a booster since i remember discussing somewhere on here how adults dont usually get boosters and she didnt seem to think it was necessary. she said if i was planning on traveling to Europe she would recommend which i thought was odd. i dont really think of Europe as one of those travel destinations where you need to get shots for. i didnt ask her to elaborate as we have really no travel plans at all other than BUffalo, NY

she also said that we dont need to really do hep A for her right now as in some places there are babies getting hep A but we are not in an area where that is an issue and again if we were going to travel then she would recommend it. she didnt specify if she would get it at her 15 month visit as there was a couple vax i thought she was getting today that she wont get until 15 months because they didnt want to do more than 2 shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Whooping Cough Is Now a Full-Blown Epidemic in California

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:12 pm 

Nothing really big, but I feel increasingly downheartened lately by how many vegans I meet who are anti-vaccination and/or into varying flavours of pseudoscience. I really think it has a negative impact on our credibility with people who have a basic understanding of science.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:10 am 

Just wanted to share this comic about herd immunity explained using zombies: http://thescienceoffandom.com/post/9486 ... nd-here-is

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Gah. Gonna have to kick myself out of another parenting Facebook group.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Imogen wrote:
Nothing really big, but I feel increasingly downheartened lately by how many vegans I meet who are anti-vaccination and/or into varying flavours of pseudoscience. I really think it has a negative impact on our credibility with people who have a basic understanding of science.

Yes OMG this. That is why I started the Too much Woo thread. Too much woo. Sage and crystals will save us all! And maybe a reiki distance healing.

(I love all those things, but wouldn't not vax my kiddo against polio, because polio)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband apparently does not get annoyed as easily as i do and clicked on one of the crazy anti-vax things his mother posts of fb. i dont know what site or article it was but he said that in the article it says that a good immune system is better than any vax.

cause you know a good immune system will kick the shiitake out of small pox and polio. DUH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:06 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I saw a 3 year old boy on instagram with the chicken pox. A really bad case of them and I've never been so happy that I decided to get my kids vaccinated against it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm 

I had a bad case of chicken pox when I was a child. So much that I ended up in the hospital for two weeks. I had a fever of near 107 and I barely remember anything from those two weeks. When I first came down with the disease I was excited because I thought I would get time off school to do whatever I wanted, just like every other kid. Nope. I was miserable. If this was back in the day, I probably wouldn't have survived.

I've had some issues since the disease, especially with a speech impediment. But I'm not sure if it was caused by chicken pox. I remember feeling very disconnected from myself for about a year or two after recovering. (Honestly, that is the best way I can describe it)

I know that what happened to me was very rare, but unfortunately it did. I get annoyed when people tell me that chicken pox aren't that bad.

My mom had a friend that died of whooping cough at five years old. My grandmothers brother died from polio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next