| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i was wondering if it depended on the school since it seems to easy for people to get around vaccinating their kids and i thought i read some discussion on here of people finding places that did make them vax and places that didnt but maybe that was daycare? (which is the ULTIMATE petri dish of germs).

i was thinking public preschool would probably all be state mandated rules but i was looking a little hippie co-op school but i guess it doesnt make sense for different schools in the same state to have different rules (?)

i guess i really shouldnt be worrying about it now since
1. she's only 3
2. i dont know when/if we'll put her in preschool
3. she will probably developmentally be a totally different kid then

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think it depends on your state. It's really easy to skip vaccinations in Texas, but I think other states have stricter rules. You might be able to find general vaccination policies on preschool websites. Like whether any vaccination is required or not.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My child is embarrassingly behind on his shots. The local preschools here (private) indicated that as long as he had a physician's note indicating that he was under their care and being brought up to date that he would be accepted in the program.

He is going to be 2 at the end of his month and his last series was his 12 month ones...maybe I only missed one set? 18 month or is there another one...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:19 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I don't remember specifics but I feel like until age 2 there was always something at every damn appt then you finally get a break at three!

I would think after the 4-6 y.o. Ones you get another break til they are teenagers but I'm not up on the latest and greatest

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

In NJ it doesn't matter if a program is private or public, all accredited/licensed schools have age-based requirements. One of the many things that makes NJ great,
honestly. I am sure you can get out of things ("religious" exemption), but they certainly don't advertise the fact. We have only been in religious programs so far, but one of those religions that would reprimand you for not vaccinating your kids :p.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

annasrobbie wrote:
He is going to be 2 at the end of his month and his last series was his 12 month ones...maybe I only missed one set? 18 month or is there another one...

Yes, you only missed one set, at the 18 month. I'm fuzzy on what it was...but Stella had shots at her 18 mo checkup a few months ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My Zoetrope wrote:
annasrobbie wrote:

Yes, you only missed one set, at the 18 month. I'm fuzzy on what it was...but Stella had shots at her 18 mo checkup a few months ago.

Thanks! I never had any sympathy for people who blamed "life" for getting in the way of regular doctor visits. But for real! When you have two kids they are always sick so you may miss things, or YOU are sick from them, or you move several states away and have to get your insurance restarted and then have to find an office you trust that accepts new patients/and your insurance. I am a much more sympathetic person now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

talk to me about the nasal flumist thing please.

i am DREADING getting BP the flu shot this year. she screams about everything under the sun. doesnt ever want to leave the house so taking her to the dr to get a flu shot is basically the worst idea ever.

i had to pick up a copy of her vax record at the dr office for her school recently and had to take her with me since she is always with me and she screamed through the whole thing even though all we were doing was picking up a piece of paper.

does it sting? burn? hurt in anyway?
is it basically just like saline spray in terms of how it feels?
is it one squirt or two? (ie one in each nostril)
do they need to like purposely breath it in for it to be effective or is squirting it up there while they fight you enough?

i feel like at some point i heard it's actually more effective than the shot?????

either way she's going to freak the fork out and it's going to be awful but i hate to tack on a painful shot onto "experiences at the dr" for her.
im not even sure my drs office carries it.

if she wasnt going to preschool id almost be inclined to skip it this year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:
i feel like at some point i heard it's actually more effective than the shot?????

I believe the opposite is the case (sorry!): http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/06/health/fl ... pray-shot/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm afraid I am not a fan of the flu mist. It is sprayed in both nostrils, and they do have to breathe it in a bit. My son experienced way more side effects with it, i think because it is a live virus. And i believe it is less effective, to the point that it is no longer being recommended.

My daughter is autistic and has accompanying sensory processing peoblems. Believe me that I know how difficult it can be to get a child with any extra sensory needs vaccinated. The shot, which is quick amd done, was easier for her.

If you are worried that she will fight you more on the doctor's office if she associates it with shots, then you may want to take her to a pharmacy or someolace she doesn't normally go. That way if she is freaked out by the place, you don't have to go back anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:18 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok good to know. thanks!

she is too young to do it at a pharmacy as far as i understand from my investigations last year. (she's 3)

i guess i will just grin and bear it. i was thinking of asking my mom to come. BP loves my mom and does good with her and then we will have 2 people to wrangle her. my mom was also a nurse so she may have a better way to talk to her about it than i can think of.

ill put this out of my mind for the next month or so then ill just bite the bullet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

She may be a little you g yet, but there is a Sid The Science Kid episode about getting a shot that i fiund really helpful for getting my kids' buy in. I can't remember if the youngest was 3 or 4 when we first watched it. It really helped us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Did she get the flu shot before? Not to make it more upsetting, but generally for first time flu vaccines you have to get 2 shots separated by one month. And yeah, the mist probably isn't available this year :( I know the feeling of trying to drag your struggling, screaming child into the office because they KNOW unpleasant things happen there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yes she's gotten it every year since she was born

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:37 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The CDC isn't recommending the FluMist this year for anyone:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/ ... v-flu.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'll miss the flumist! My weirdo kid actually enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Huh, that's too bad. Back to shots for everyone, I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50