| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:34 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if they truly believe that people who just had the flu vax are that contagious wouldnt the whole world just be brimming over with people hacking up the flu everywhere?

geesh

that is very very sad about that mom :-( her poor family. so much loss all at once :-(

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i have a few questions about 12 month vax which is what BP will be due for next.
first off holy crepe looks like she's due for a shitload according to the CDC website.

i thought she was done with a whole bunch of these?
hepb, dtap, hib, PCV, IPV.....does it really take this many shots?!?!?!

geesh!!

my biggest question is what are peoples' thoughts on the chicken pox vax?
as far as preventable child hood diseases go i feel like chicken pox is not that big of a deal. i had it. i dont remember anything about it. i know you can certainly have a bad case but overall it seems pretty standard part of childhood.
but then again it seems like the side effects are pretty standard with of course the possibility always of a severe reaction but so far other than her first set of vax she has done ok

then around here we always see shingles commercials. like constantly. and basically the message is if you had chicken pox then THE SHINGLES VIRUS IS IN YOU! would the same be true of gettig the vaccine? i would imagine so because it's just a weakened version of the virus.
seems like for shingles all the commericials are targeted at the 50+ age group so i dont know if that's when people typically get it?

according to the CDC website some places have it in the MMR vax as MMRV. has anyone had their kid get that? im not sure what my doc has.

and then the hep a shot. again is that necessary? how does one even get hep A? all it says on the CDC website is it's passed through stool. i might be getting hep A and B mixed up. it says there really have been no serious side effects for this vax

i feel like it's gonna take me 12 visits to the dr to get her through all these shots :-(

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

DTap, IPV and Hib will probably be given as one shot, in a vaccine called Pentacel. We've never had an issue with it at all. Looking at our records at 1 year we did the Pentacel, Hep A and Varicella. I honestly didn't really think about whether or not to do varicella, we just went with the pediatrician's recommendation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LisaPunk wrote:

my biggest question is what are peoples' thoughts on the chicken pox vax?
as far as preventable child hood diseases go i feel like chicken pox is not that big of a deal. i had it. i dont remember anything about it. i know you can certainly have a bad case but overall it seems pretty standard part of childhood.
but then again it seems like the side effects are pretty standard with of course the possibility always of a severe reaction but so far other than her first set of vax she has done ok

then around here we always see shingles commercials. like constantly. and basically the message is if you had chicken pox then THE SHINGLES VIRUS IS IN YOU! would the same be true of gettig the vaccine? i would imagine so because it's just a weakened version of the virus.
seems like for shingles all the commericials are targeted at the 50+ age group so i dont know if that's when people typically get it?

Chicken pox can be a big deal for some kids. At the very least, there's risk of scarring. There can be more serious complications, like brain swelling. And with more people getting the vaccine in the U.S., there's a good chance BabyPunk won't be exposed until she's older, when it's more dangerous.

About shingles and the vaccine, the answer is, we don't know. The first generation of kids to get the chicken pox vax hasn't reached age 50 yet (you're more likely to get it as an older adult). So we'll have to wait to find out if they're susceptible and how much. We talked about this a few pages back in this thread if you want more information.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that's an interesting point about them getting it later now since so many people are getting the vax. i hadnt considered that but you are totally right.
i knew it was worse as an adult but hadnt thought about the potential of getting it later because of all the people getting the vax.

ill have to ask my pedi how many actual shots she would be getting.
i think they use a different one up here. i remember the word "pediarix" and it looks like thats the one they use for dtap, hep b, and possibly something else.

you know what's really weird about chicken pox and scarring? for the longest time i had a small scar on my abdomen from chicken pox (like the size of one pock) and it is inexplicably gone. no idea when it disappeared. isnt that strange?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

with my first post (i cant edit it now) i meant the side effects of the vax seem pretty standard if that wasnt clear. looks like i left out a word

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, several vaccines are bundled into a single shot and one is an oral vax if memory serves (pcv maybe?). We didn't do Hep but did everything else in 2 visits. I did a lot of research into chxpox and ended up concluding that I'd rather avoid her getting it, esp given the high fever and discomfort, so we got the vaccine. When I had chxpox as a kid it was a week of misery.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:32 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hep A is stool/food-borne (i.e. people who are carriers who don't wash their hands well after pooping and handle your food = you getting it in your food - this is what made everybody sick from Costco frozen berries awhile back). You can be a carrier without symptoms, so lots of people don't even know they're sick and are then more likely to pass it along by not staying home from work or not being extra careful with hygiene. I would definitely get that vaccine.

Hep B is transmitted like HIV (needles, sex, breastfeeding), so if nobody she might share body fluids has Hep B, she's at very low risk - you might actually be done with this series of vaccines, though, because they start them very early to catch babies whose moms have Hep B. I won't be giving this series to my next kid unless much better research comes out on its long-term effectiveness. Nobody has Hep B in our family and it looks like the immunity wears off by 12 years for most if it's given in infancy, so you just have to get it again when they're actually at risk (i.e. potentially having sex, or God forbid, doing things with needles). Seems slightly pointless.

Hep A and B are given together for adolescents and adults (although it is still a series of 3 shots over several months), but not for infants, so it winds up being like 5 shots altogether for the kids to do all the Hep vaccines.

I don't remember any visits with more than 3 actual shots and the way we did them was to have two nurses in the room, push two needles into one thigh at a time and one into the other one, then it's all done at once. Unless BabyPunk gets fevers after vaccination (more vaccines increases the likelihood of fevers), no health benefit has been shown yet to spacing them out and it just seems like more trauma to have more visits with needles I think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I agree with you - just going to the MD is crazy stressful and I wish we could just get it over with, but Dr Y won't give more than 2 shots in a visit

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm 
Cranky

I know you aren't very impressed with the Hep B vaccine, Ariann, but I urge everyone to get it. A friend of mine who was born in Hong Kong and came to the US as an infant has Hep B from her mother. It's a very common! Hep B vaccinations weren't standard in the US for several years yet after she was born and she's actually faced a lot of a problems due to the fact that most in our generation weren't vaccinated. (Not only does she struggle with health problems, she's been dumped several times by boyfriends when she told them her Hep B status, and she's actually ostracized for her status by others.) Regardless of long-term utility, that vaccination means that there's no fear of anyone passing it along via playgrounds or daycare or the like. I'm sure you're coming into contact with Hep B carriers more often than you think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
I agree with you - just going to the MD is crazy stressful and I wish we could just get it over with, but Dr Y won't give more than 2 shots in a visit

What's her rationale?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Dr. Apricot wrote:
I know you aren't very impressed with the Hep B vaccine, Ariann, but I urge everyone to get it. A friend of mine who was born in Hong Kong and came to the US as an infant has Hep B from her mother. It's a very common! Hep B vaccinations weren't standard in the US for several years yet after she was born and she's actually faced a lot of a problems due to the fact that most in our generation weren't vaccinated. (Not only does she struggle with health problems, she's been dumped several times by boyfriends when she told them her Hep B status, and she's actually ostracized for her status by others.) Regardless of long-term utility, that vaccination means that there's no fear of anyone passing it along via playgrounds or daycare or the like. I'm sure you're coming into contact with Hep B carriers more often than you think.

So far no blood-to-blood contact on the playground or daycare and I hope it stays that way! I wonder if there are any actual cases of such a thing happening, because the vague possibility of it is not very convincing as a real risk. The reason Hep B vaccines are now public policy are because of cases like your friend, because the real fear is getting it from the mother, not getting it from random contact (because that is just not how it is transmitted - similarly, I am not afraid of catching HIV from my friends who have it who I have casual contact with). But if you know that nobody potentially sharing bodily fluids with your kid has Hep B, then there's no method of transmission that is really plausible. I am impressed with the Hep B vaccine, when it's given at a time when transmission is much more likely to actually happen (and for that reason, I'm vaccinated myself, as is my husband, although who knows if we still have immunity). I'm super impressed with vaccines in general and am fully vaccinated against anything it's reasonable for an adult my age to be vaccinated against in the US (plus some less common things, like pneumonia, because of asthma), I'm just a big fan of tailoring vaccination to the individuals who are in front of you (who can be tested for Hep B! it's rather simple!) rather than the individual's health care being decided solely by public policy (even if the public policy makes sense as public policy).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the info!
BP already got the hep B vax i was thinking maybe i was confusing hep A with how common it was/how you got it.
we didnt do hep B at birth and originally i think we were going to refuse it since we are low risk but i ended up just doing it in the end which is what usually happens when i question a vax.

we only do 2 vax for each visit when she is due for vax because at her 2 month visit she got 3 shots and the drink and while her reaction probably wouldnt be considered bad it was bad enough for me to not do it anymore. the leg that got two shots swelled up and she had a fever and just screamed alot. it might have been because she was so tiny at the time and it was her first set.

sadly this kid goes to the dr so often for shots and checkups that the extra dr visits arent really that big a deal for us.

TLish, the drink is rotavirus, i think we are done with that now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Another reason to get the chicken pox vaccination is that the older you are, the worse it is. Your child could unwittingly transmit it to someone who was old enough that they would really suffer longer than a week. I missed a huge chunk of 7th grade because of chicken pox. I could not see for a week because of the blisters near my eyes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got the chickenpox a few days before my 18th birthday. I am pro-chicken pox vaccine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:
So far no blood-to-blood contact on the playground or daycare and I hope it stays that way!

I went to preschool / school with HIV+ kids and it was definitely a concern. Kids bleed a lot more randomly than adults (nose bleeds, falls, losing teeth etc) and are not necessarily as careful as adults about it. And in the 80s "blood friendships" were still a thing... I came home a couple of times covered in some other kid's blood, freaking out my mom - luckily I never caught anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:09 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Vantine wrote:
Another reason to get the chicken pox vaccination is that the older you are, the worse it is. Your child could unwittingly transmit it to someone who was old enough that they would really suffer longer than a week. I missed a huge chunk of 7th grade because of chicken pox. I could not see for a week because of the blisters near my eyes...

My dad almost died from it when he was 29.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, I'm just looking at the updated CDC recommendations and it's quite different than here. HepA or B and Varicella are not routinely given, and the rotavirus was only added just last year, I think it was. Routine flu vaccination for toddlers just started this past fall. I wonder too, why the US doesn't add the meningitis vaccine (there are two now here, actually, but only one on the standard recommended list)?

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/dow ... 0-6yrs.pdf

NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinatio ... edule.aspx

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am 
Semen Strong

It is interesting re meningitis. I thought L got the meningitis one with her Hib. I know meningitis is a huge concern here - a friend who doesn't vaccinate (her child has had reactions to them) was told that because she hasn't been vaccinated the MDs will treat her fevers like potential meningitis (her daughter is 6 months) which makes me think that meningitis is standard here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We give the Hib vaccine here standardly to babies, and Hib can cause meningitis. But, they wait until age 11-12 for the Meningococcal vaccine though except for certain high risk groups.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/d ... hedule.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Some more bad news because of an unvaccinated young adult taking an overseas trip.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-ne ... les-n29991
Quote:
Thousands of San Francisco Bay Area residents may have been exposed to measles last week when an unvaccinated student at the University of California, Berkeley, attended classes and rode the area's BART transit system.

Public health officials in Contra Costa County, outside of San Francisco, said anyone riding BART from Feb. 4 to Feb. 7 during the morning or late evening commutes could have been exposed to the highly contagious respiratory virus. The young man in his 20s lives in the county and was confirmed to have measles on Wednesday. He was likely infected while traveling recently in Asia, health officials said.

Measles is insanely contagious and can cause permanent damage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

That's another aspect of not vaccinating your kids, you can't tell if they'll grow up to be idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

So I guess there is a measles outbreak near where live. I saw an article saying if you had shopped at the Trader Joes in Framingham on 2/15 or 2/16 you may have been exposed. I don't I've ever been in that TJs (maybe once?) but the Whole Foods I go to all the time is right next to it.

Great. BP hasn't gotten the MMR vax yet cause she's only 10 months.

Grrrrr on people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's a measles outbreak here at the moment too, LisaPunk. I'm not sure what the normal schedule is there, but we do the first MMR at 15 months here and Westiebaby's only 14 months next week but I took her for her 15 month immunisations this morning after asking the nurse at my doctor's office and they said any time past a year is fine, and it's even ok before a year, but then you'd still need two later boosters [or something], so if you're worried you might be exposed, it might pay to call in to your doctors and ask/check whether they think BabyPunk could have hers early?
Westiebaby was a superstar, there were three injections, and she didn't cry at all with the first, then calmed down really quickly after crying a bit when the second/third went in. The nurse gave her a balloon, which she loved chasing around outside and in the waiting room while we waited 20 minutes till we could leave.. until she popped it and gave herself a huge fright and cried louder than she did with the injections! Win some, lose some? ; )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
So I guess there is a measles outbreak near where live. I saw an article saying if you had shopped at the Trader Joes in Framingham on 2/15 or 2/16 you may have been exposed. I don't I've ever been in that TJs (maybe once?) but the Whole Foods I go to all the time is right next to it.

Great. BP hasn't gotten the MMR vax yet cause she's only 10 months.

Grrrrr on people.

If I had an infant and lived anywhere on the West Coast or where there is an outbreak, I would talk to my doctor about vaccinating early. It's better to be safe when there are so many people disregarding science and common sense.

Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next