| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:17 am 
Nooch of Earl

I tried to get the MMR early (knowing this meant an extra jab) and was basically shot down by the pediatrician unless I had definite travel plans to an outbreak-prone area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Vantine i actually live on the east coast. im not sure what makes up an "outbreak" but there are 2 confirmed measles cases in MA.
BP is due for her vax in 2 months so that should be fine.

oncewewerewesties, poor lil westiebaby but that is kinda of a cute story :-)
poor little munchkin though scaring herself!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anyone in Britain know where I can get a Chicken Pox vaccine for my kids? It's not standard here and since we're homeschooling, they probably won't be exposed to it. I didn't catch it until I was 15 and while it wasn't bad (other than the scarring and every poc on my face turning into a zit), I would have been happy to not have had it at all.
No one working for the NHS knows and they aren't allowed to vax my kids for it since no one is immunocompromised.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

A Mother Jones write up of a study about the effectiveness of vaccination campaigns on people unlikely to vax:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... ire-effect

Short version: In many cases, vaccination campaigns actually make people less likely to vaccinate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well that's depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm 
Semen Strong

The Taliban in Pakistan has killed 22 members of teams vaccinating children against polio. They are targeting polio workers in part because they say that the vaccines are intended as a Western plot to sterilize Muslims and in part because U.S. intelligence officials used a fake vaccination program to help in their hunt for Osama bin Laden in 2011. Under cover of the program, the CIA sought to collect DNA samples from relatives of the al Qaeda leader to verify his presence in a compound in Abbottabad.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/asi ... an-attack/

The polio vaccine program in Jamrud is being suspended of the attacks. Its tragic because polio is still endemic in Pakistan.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/national/0 ... -in-jamrud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mollyjade wrote:
A Mother Jones write up of a study about the effectiveness of vaccination campaigns on people unlikely to vax:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... ire-effect

Short version: In many cases, vaccination campaigns actually make people less likely to vaccinate.

Quote:
Finally, Nyhan adds that in order to protect public health by encouraging widespread vaccinations, public communication efforts aren't the only tools at our disposal. "Other policy measures might be more effective," he notes. For instance, recently we reported on how easy it is for parents to dodge getting their kids vaccinated in some states; in some cases, it requires little more than a onetime signature on a form. Tightening these policies might be considerably more helpful than trying to win hearts and minds. That wasn't really working out anyway, and thanks to the new study, we now know that vaccine deniers' imperviousness to facts may be a key part of the reason why.

I think this may be the only answer - make it fairly difficult for parents without valid medical reasons to opt out of vaccines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:59 pm 
Semen Strong

I just got booted from a FB group that decided to put out a statement that anyone who doesn't vax is asked not to reveal that information and that the group is open to parents who are researching or gathering information on whether to vaccinate, but no pro-vaccine information may be posted or else it will be deleted.

So I said it was a bit silly to say that you're looking to support people researching their options, but ban any information on why one would choose to vaccinate including personal anecdotes. And then I asked if one would be allowed to post debunking information if someone is reposting inaccurate or disproven information on the dangers of vaccines - because that happens all the freaking time - and I was banned and the thread was locked.

I am totally in favor of everyone making their own informed decisions, but to create a safe-space that is really just an echo chamber for your views and then say that you want to help people research their choices is BS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Whoa.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tofulish, that's the kind of crepe that drives me crazy.

CC, we've had several jabs at this place: www.babyjabs.co.uk, but it's in London. They might have a recommendation for something closer to you though as well. There's a clinic here in Oxford that offers varicella, but we had a bad experience there wrt billing (didn't really want to go someplace that was calling me a liar). You might be able to get it at your GP too, just that you'd have to pay. It's recommended in England at least, for immunocompromised kids and their siblings, so it's in stock. K and I got the whooping cough vaccine through private payment at our (NHS) GP a couple of years ago, and it was pretty reasonable...I think just under £50 for both of us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

well at least we can count on celebrities for their smarts :-P

http://defamer.gawker.com/reality-star-idiot-kristin-cavallari-refuses-to-vacci-1544086342?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

does it take more than 5 seconds to research the autism thing and debunk it 1000 times over?

you know she's read a lot of books and stuff sooooo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/kristin-cavallari-vaccinations_n_4965047.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:57 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Not sure if this has been posted yet, couldn't see it. An interesting response by an irate scientist to an anti-vax meme (contains swear words) http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vqjb0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

Austin just had its first death from whopping cough since 2003. I think the baby was 6 weeks old. So, so sad, and it's really depressing how much defensive BS is being spouted here from anti-vaxers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mandycoot wrote:
Austin just had its first death from whopping cough since 2003. I think the baby was 6 weeks old. So, so sad, and it's really depressing how much defensive BS is being spouted here from anti-vaxers.

That's so sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

U.S. News & Health: Whooping Cough Outbreaks Tied to Parents Shunning Vaccines

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

refinnej wrote:
You might be able to get it at your GP too, just that you'd have to pay. It's recommended in England at least, for immunocompromised kids and their siblings, so it's in stock. K and I got the whooping cough vaccine through private payment at our (NHS) GP a couple of years ago, and it was pretty reasonable...I think just under £50 for both of us.

Thanks for the link! I asked about it before and they said I can't get it with the NHS (even though they do have it) and don't know how to get it privately. (I guess that means I can't pay to get it from them, although it didn't occur to ask at the time because I hadn't realised it might be an option. I'll ask again next time we're in.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:00 am 
Semen Strong

There is an outbreak of measles in NYC:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/nyreg ... egion&_r=0

I found it interesting to look at who the people were who got measles:

Quote:
Since the outbreak was detected, nine children and 11 adults have been infected: 16 Manhattan residents, three Bronx residents and one Brooklyn resident.

Dr. Varma said the first two cases were in adults who had traveled outside New York and who did not know each other but were probably infected at the same airport in the United States. He declined to identify the airport. Both had activities that brought them to northern Manhattan and that included health care facilities, he said, declining to provide more details.

Only three of the 11 had records proving they had been vaccinated, though others believed they had been. In rare instances, a vaccinated person can become infected later in life.

Of the nine children, seven were too young to be vaccinated or within the window of 12 to 15 months old when the vaccination is recommended. The other two were from families in which the parents refused to allow the vaccination.

I don't see this as being just a problem caused by unvaccinated children, but also about the fact that adults don't always know when our immunity has lapsed, and we're don't have a good system in place to track medical records etc. We just assume that if you were vaccinated as kids, you're fine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:48 am 
***LIES!!!***

It would probably be good if they made adult MMR boosters a regular part of the process just as they have for whooping cough. I wasn't immune when I was tested in my 20s, either because the first shots never took, the immunity lapsed, or I only got two of the three shots in the original series (records are unavailable after I was 3 or 4). Preventing adult illness goes a long way to protecting infants too young to be vaccinated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i wonder if we will start to see that now that there seems to be alot of measles outbreaks. i couldnt tell you the last time i had an MMR shot. definitely when i was a kid but i know they recently asked me about the TDAP shot because it had been years since i had a booster.

Drs seem so on top of infant immunization schedules (in my experience) i wonder if we will start to see a shift towards being on top of adult ones as well for those people who actually get a physical semi yearly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:46 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think it's a result of the spotty health care coverage in the US that adults often aren't aware that they need boosters. I remember getting a MMR booster before college? Maybe it was grad school? Don't remember which, just that it was a requirement.
I just think for people who didn't go to college or have consistent health care plans, booster schedules and other preventative care is impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I've always had access to healthcare and went to college and no one ever suggested an MMR booster.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 pm 
Semen Strong

I really love the French system where all medical records are centralized and available to any providers by simply scanning a chip on your medical card. In the US, if you switch providers every time you move, change insurance companies, etc then the records often get left behind and its really hard to remember which vaccines you've had and what you may need. I will admit that I have no idea if I am up to date on my MMR boosters or any other vaccines really.

And I've been to college (and law school) and had constant access to insurance, just different carriers at different jobs, so I have bounced from practice to practice more than I would have liked. I was with my NYC PCP for 7 years, but since coming to NJ, I don't have anyone that I like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

As a health care provider, there is no guideline that recommends that I talk to all adult patients about an MMR booster. We will catch pregnant women who are no longer immune to rubella and encourage them to get MMR postpartum, but it's not otherwise something that's been on the radar. Seems like now there's a reason for that to change, though, like pertussis has.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Ariann wrote:
I've always had access to healthcare and went to college and no one ever suggested an MMR booster.

+1

i just sent my mom a text asking if i needed any immunizations before college as i dont remember but i dont think ive gotten any boosters since grade school except the tdap one i got a couple years ago

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

according to my mom she doesnt think i had to get anything for college (doesnt remember exactly) but she thinks i was already up to date.

so anything after that that was left up to me didnt happen unless someone specifically told me i was due for something so yeah no MMR booster for me anytime in the past like 20 years

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next