| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I would ask your midwives or doctor for advice because measles is nothing to take chances with if you are pregnant.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:33 am 
Saggy Butt

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I hereby admit going in that I am mostly not reading this thread.

Now.

Livi has everything (I think? I haven't checked in a long time) except her 2nd and 3rd Hep B and MAN you should have seen how confused the nurses at the Army hospital were to be presented with a 4 year old who hadn't had her Hep B vaccines! Like, "the world is ending what DO WE DO??" confused.

That being said. I delayed her vaccines and never let her get more than 2 at a time.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Oh and I'm 34 and I've never had Chicken Pox so I'm getting vaccinated one of these days.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The chickenpox vaccine wasn't available for me and my sister, and we caught it in school. We both came out okay ... but we sent my dad (who'd never gotten it before) to the hospital!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
I hereby admit going in that I am mostly not reading this thread.

Now.

Livi has everything (I think? I haven't checked in a long time) except her 2nd and 3rd Hep B and MAN you should have seen how confused the nurses at the Army hospital were to be presented with a 4 year old who hadn't had her Hep B vaccines! Like, "the world is ending what DO WE DO??" confused.

That being said. I delayed her vaccines and never let her get more than 2 at a time.

I think I was told by Toby's doctor that the Hep vaccinations are more important if you live on the west coast. I didn't ask why...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

As a high school teacher, I can say that 1) many kids practice truly crappy hygiene 2) schools don't really encourage good hygiene by making bathroom breaks races against the clock and routinely running out if soap and towels during the day 3) if one kid in a class gets sick within a few days many kids and teachers are sick; it's like clockwork 4) some parents will send their kids to school even if the kid looks mostly at deaths door, including during the height if swine flu

All of that combined scares the hell out of me when contemplating scary diseases and vaccination.

I almost died as a child after the MMR, and I've had rashes and other oddities after others and had to be monitored a few times, so I fully get that vaccination is also scary. I also had to get ALL my shots three times due to the military and my parents losing shot records. I think I got a Barbie dream house or something out of that bit of parental guilt. Mostly I remember my mom taking it harder than I did. I've never minded being poked with needles.

If I had kids, I'd be nervous and would not do the MMR lightly, but I'd get the medically recommended vaccines.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:02 pm 
A Bad Person

Here it is, the official CDC advisory regarding measles outbreaks: http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00323.asp

Looking at the numbers, this is not just affecting the unvaccinated, though they are obviously getting the worst of it. Out of 139, 23 had been partially if not fully vaccinated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
One of the following is considered evidence of measles immunity for international travelers: 1) birth before 1957, 2) documented administration of 2 doses of live measles virus vaccine (MMR, MMRV, or measles vaccines), 3) laboratory (serologic) proof of immunity, or 4) documentation of physician-diagnosed measles.

Wonder why birth before 1957 is considered evidence of measles immunity for international travelers?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

From the CDC:

Quote:
Why are people born before 1957 exempt from receiving MMR vaccine?

People born before 1957 lived through several years of epidemic measles before the first measles vaccine was licensed. As a result, these people are very likely to have had the measles disease. Surveys suggest that 95% to 98% of those born before 1957 are immune to measles. Note: The "1957 rule" applies only to measles and mumps—it does NOT apply to rubella.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:22 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Helbury beat me!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm 
Semen Strong

You guys are faster than Google!

Thank you!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

hey vantine, i've been checking in on this thread from time to time and just want to say that i admire and appreciate your eloquence and intelligence in this thread.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, Joanna loves me! Thank you, Joanna. That's high praise coming from someone who is such a well-spoken advocate for children.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought this was interesting:
Quote:
Just went it seemed like cases of measles were on the downswing, with few cases being seen in the news lately, there is a report of an outbreak in Dakota County, Minnesota. Dakota County is just south of Minneapolis and is near Hennepin County, where there were a total of 21 cases of measles in an outbreak linked to an unvaccinated child who had recently traveled to Kenya earlier this year. The two new cases of measles in Dakota County are also linked to travel to Kenya and also involve unvaccinated children, a 12-month-old and a 15-month-old. Unfortunately, both are in the hospital - one in critical condition - which highlights just how serious measles infections can be.

Minnesota is now up to 25 cases of measles for the year and although we still don't know how much the last outbreak cost, they are already facing a new outbreak.

http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2011/08/2 ... esota.html

Its a reminder of how dangerous and how contagious measles is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to take unvaccinated children to Africa?!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:29 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

fezza wrote:

This! Whatever one's position on vaccination of children, this is somewhat unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

jogirl wrote:
fezza wrote:

This! Whatever one's position on vaccination of children, this is somewhat unbelievable.

dude, seriously. even on crazy site which shall not be named, it's a pretty general consensus that you don't take your children overseas without vaccinating for at least some things. unless it's a child who's slipped through the cracks (immigrant, poor, etc) rather than a deliberately non-vaccinated child on holiday.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 am 

I don't imagine too many immigrant, poor, etc children get to travel to Africa and back.

The idea that someone might risk their child, and the locals (if said child carries something to that country) makes me more than a little twitchy. Especially to countries without a NHS system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

jogirl wrote:
fezza wrote:

My jaw, literally, dropped when I read this. That seems like a criminal level of child endangerment to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

fezza wrote:
I don't imagine too many immigrant, poor, etc children get to travel to Africa and back.

The idea that someone might risk their child, and the locals (if said child carries something to that country) makes me more than a little twitchy. Especially to countries without a NHS system.

yeah i guess. i was just thinking of other options besides some idiot family going on safari without a single health precaution.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:57 am 

littlebird wrote:
fezza wrote:

yeah i guess. i was just thinking of other options besides some idiot family going on safari without a single health precaution.

Yeah, I know, I thought of it too at the start. You just don't like to believe that there are people like this in the world, urgh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Actually most children who are dying in various African counties die not of diseases. Cannot generalize a whole CONTINENT for outbreaks here and there. Most deaths are due to water that is not drinkable that people are drinking. What would make you think that it is completely necessary to go to any African country vaccinated? Especially when the vaccines that are used in one country may not be able to defend one against an illness in another country as they may be different strains. These are ridiculous statements and somewhat racist/ignorant. malaria is a different story and CAN be treated naturally. But many of the old remedies have been forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 am 

Firstly, no one suggested that measles was a main cause of death in Africa, but if infected people travel without vaccinations they can cause outbreaks, which can increase the death rates. Many local children, and adults, may not have the resources to fund the medical treatment needed. Vaccinations are recommended when travelling to many countries, including African countries.

Please explain how any of this is racist? That is a pretty strong (and nasty) accusation to throw about.

It might help to remember that these unvaccinated children have brought measles back home with them, it's not as if we're making it up.

Last edited by fezza on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 am 
Semen Strong

nevermind.

Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 44  Next