| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can we talk about vaccinations here?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

To beat the drums about "big pharma" without recognizing that the faith/alternative medicine crowd is raking in huge profits is dishonest at best. They don't give away those completely not proven to do anything and that's the way they like it cures.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I vaccinated myself last week! An MMR booster (hadn't had one since '95) and a Varicella (my mom, 1/2 sis, and myself have never had the pox but we've been exposed, but I had a blood titer and I wasn't immune).

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh no! Appifanie is playing Russian Roulette with her life!

And so much word Vantine!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 pm 

Tofulish wrote:

I figure having a 1st grader and a deployed husband was like playing chicken pox roulette! ;D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I thought this was a great illustration of the benefits of vaccines:
http://www.toronto.ca/health/immunizati ... raphic.pdf

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:34 pm 
Nooch of Earl

appifanie wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

I figure having a 1st grader and a deployed husband was like playing chicken pox roulette! ;D

I nearly played russian roulette trying to use the uniform website today!

Oh wait, that wasn't vax-related. Carry on!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
Seriously, I wonder why these people don't say the same about antibiotics. They're a cocktail of chemicals, too. With possible side-effects! And Big Pharma make money selling them!

Yeah, vaccines make a pretty bad proxy for resistance to pharmaceutical excess. The DTaP jab, for example, costs about $25 and is good for ten years. You might as well talk about the billions, not millions, Big Pharma is raking in on aspirin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 am 
Naked Under Apron

Totally, mumbles!

We decided we are going to find a private place (they're not on the NHS) to get the chicken pox jab for our kids -- we're homeschooling for primary school, so they're unlikely to be exposed anyway. I had the pox at 15 and my whole body was covered in pox-zits. I'm really glad my husband is on board with this. He said one less sickness we have to deal with is fine with him.

Now I just have to find a place that does them.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

When I was little people had chicken pox parties so that kids got it when they were young and it wasn't such a serious disease at that age, and then they would be immune. Is this not a thing any more?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:29 am 
Naked Under Apron

I don't know (obviously, my parents didn't throw a party, cos I didn't get the pox until I was 15 -- finally caught it off my little sis), but it seems like less hassle to just skip my kids being sick altogether.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had Chicken Pox when I was in 5th grade and can remember how awful it was. I would not want to inflict that on anyone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 am 

Imogen wrote:
When I was little people had chicken pox parties so that kids got it when they were young and it wasn't such a serious disease at that age, and then they would be immune. Is this not a thing any more?

on the mothering dot com forum there are people setting them up. or were, the last time i was there (which was at least 2 years ago)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

People in Austin have chicken pox parties all the time. Bah.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yeah chicken pox parties are still a thing.

With Re I was against the chicken pox vaccine still and said i would wait until she was going to school then i got it for her. Her Dr. even agreed with me. Now with Miles he's vaccinated already for it. I remember having it as a kid. It was horrible and I had the flu at the same time. Worst thing ever plus it was Halloween! Worst Halloween ever!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:20 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Imogen wrote:

The vaccine wasn't around when we were kids, so getting chicken pox early was the best option at the time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 am 
Naked Under Apron

Has anyone gotten the shingles vaccine? I know a few people that have had it and it's miserable. (Shingles, not the vaccine.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I don't know anyone who's had the shingles vaccine, but if I had had chicken pox I would get the shingles vaccine for sure! I've never had chicken pox (confirmed by blood test) and haven't gotten the CP vaccine because from what I've read they're not sure if you can get shingles anyway if you've had the CP vaccine, and I don't want to risk getting shingles. (I would also hate to get CP as an adult, but it could happen)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am 

blondiefk wrote:
Has anyone gotten the shingles vaccine? I know a few people that have had it and it's miserable. (Shingles, not the vaccine.)

They won't give you the vaccine unless you're over 50. And I know multiple people younger than that who have had shingles. I would get it in a heartbeat if they allowed it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Isn't part of the reason you vaccinate against chicken pox so that you won't get shingles later in life? I would never wish shingles on anyone, from what I've seen of people who've gotten it.

Also, this video is popping up all over my FB feed today, mostly from members of the natural birth/parenting community here: http://www.chalkboardcampaign.com/#!weneedtotalk/c1vof

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:56 pm 

The chicken pox vaccine is new enough that we don't know what effect it will have on shingles yet. We have to wait for the first generation of vaccinated children to get to be 50+.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

mollyjade wrote:
blondiefk wrote:

They won't give you the vaccine unless you're over 50. And I know multiple people younger than that who have had shingles. I would get it in a heartbeat if they allowed it.

Yeah, I started researching it and found that out. I wonder why they make you wait when people under 50 get it. For some reason I'm terrified of shingles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My dad had shingles a few years ago (has was...58?) and he was so miserable. Seriously, dude barely ever gets sick and when he does he is still out and about and working, but with shingles he was stuck in bed for over a week and in terrible pain. He got the vaccine after recovering from shingles to protect against recurrence, per his doctor's advice.

Shingles and chicken pox are the worst. So happy kids can get vaccinated for that whole mess now! I'm not sure why there's the age restriction for the shingles vax, except that your likelihood of getting it shoots up after 50, so maybe it's just not worth it or maybe the immunity doesn't last too long so you'd have to get it again if you'd gotten it at, say, 30.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm 
Nooch of Earl

When I was little we didn't really do pox parties in my area but it was just taken as kind of a given that you'd get it at some point.

Personally, I enjoyed it as the greatest week of second grade. I think I gave it to my sister, who's 3.5 years older, and she did not have such a great time, though. No permanent damage, but she was pretty miserably itchy. And then she gave it to our parakeet, who died. I think that was one of the vaccines Vi has had, but it's kind of weird to me to see a vaccine for something that was no big deal when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I had it in 4th grade and it was horrible. We gave L the vaccine because I would hate to see her that miserable and itchy. Plus I still have scars from it (I failed at "just don't scratch"). I didn't even know parakeets could get it and die from it.

But the toddlers who went to a local pox party seem to all have had very mild cases, so I guess it can go either way.

Thanks for the information on shingles - I had heard that the vaccine doesn't prevent against shingles, but it makes sense that we just don't know yet.

Here is Dr Mercola's take on the dangers of the varicella vaccine and how it is causing an outbreak of shingles. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... demic.aspx
His suggestion for shingles - raw honey. Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I think he's got chicken pox mixed up with chicken nuggets. (Sorry, that's not a very vegan thing to say. But I couldn't resist, so vegan purgatory it is for a while)

I'm not 100% certain that this is what the parakeet died from, but he got sick right after my sister, and I always figured the name was because it was bird-related. He didn't go outside or anything, so it would be quite a coincidence. I don't remember what the exact symptoms were, but I think there might've been some unusual pooping. I was young.

Anyway, I did vaccinate V, but the "oh, we don't really know how that's going to work out" aspects of the vaccine make me a little wary of it. But what we've learned in the last 20 years or so assuaged my fears mostly.

Reply to topic  [ 1091 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next